Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

kedo posted:

I just got off the phone with my ISP after increasing my connection speed. The dude said something along the lines of, "okay I uploaded [thing] to your modem to set the new download and upload rate and now I need to restart it..."

I always figured connection speed was capped somewhere on their end, not on my modem. How exactly is it done?

Sometimes your modem needs to be updated in firmware to handle new signaling, other times there are configuration files on the modem that tell it things like "don't use more than X channels for download" or to actively slow itself down when you approach a certain speed.

On their end, they have additional stuff to detect if you hosed with the modem's settings to defeat their limits, and it usually just gets used to cut you off completely, but it all works better when most of the control is right on the modem itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Is the new Star Wars moving following the canon of a specific book or book(s)? Like, is the story of the movie already known?

As someone who is completely clueless to the universe beyond seeing the movies when I was a kid/teenager, I've always been interested in reading some of the in-canon novels. It's really intimidating trying to figure out the time line and everything though. Any recommendations on "where to start?"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Baldbeard posted:

Is the new Star Wars moving following the canon of a specific book or book(s)? Like, is the story of the movie already known?

As someone who is completely clueless to the universe beyond seeing the movies when I was a kid/teenager, I've always been interested in reading some of the in-canon novels. It's really intimidating trying to figure out the time line and everything though. Any recommendations on "where to start?"

No it isn't. The books, besides the official movie novelizations, have never been canon except as far as other throwaway books by the same author goes.

The only in-canon novels are the novelizations of the existing movies.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

EmmyOk posted:

I have an old PS1 memory card that does not have enough space to save a game on it. So I restarted the PS2 and went to delete all the data on the card when I started the game back up it siad there was no space on the card. I checked and sure enough all the data I deleted had returned, why might this be?

Ps2 games can not save to a Ps1 memory card. If it is a Ps2 memory card, it might not be a legit card or it might just be bad.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Nintendo Kid posted:

No it isn't. The books, besides the official movie novelizations, have never been canon except as far as other throwaway books by the same author goes.

The only in-canon novels are the novelizations of the existing movies.

To expand on this, there used to be this big overcomplicated system to establish what level of canonicity a book/show/game/comic was. This established a "pecking order" for what got priority when they stepped on each other's toes.

That was still manageable when the prequels were coming out, since there wasn't much from the Expanded Universe, as it's known, that was set in that timeframe. But for the new movies that'll be coming out soon? It'd be hopeless, that time is the main stomping ground for a hundred or so novels and the moviemakers didn't want to be hamstrung by what had those had already established. So they made the decision to take the ENTIRE Expanded Universe out behind the shed and quietly and humanely kill it.

So all the stuff in all those novels and comics and games officially didn't happen anymore. All of that has been rebranded as the "Legends" continuity, a sort of what-if thing. Wookieepedia had a bit of a meltdown and had to split most of their articles into Canon and Legends pages, but they'll survive.

So if you've seen the existing movies (plus I think they also kept the Clone Wars cartoon), then you know all of the canon that there is. Apart from what's in the trailers, and a few rumors that are probably less-than-reliable, nobody knows where the new movies will go from here.

That said, the entire Legends continuity is still there, and parts of it are pretty enjoyable. There's a geeky star wars loser thread in The Book Barn that's familiar with it. But if you're just looking for a place to start, try either the X-Wing novels or the Thrawn trilogy by Timothy Zahn. Just be aware that the new movies will diverge wildly from what you're reading.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Powered Descent posted:

To expand on this, there used to be this big overcomplicated system to establish what level of canonicity a book/show/game/comic was. This established a "pecking order" for what got priority when they stepped on each other's toes.

It's worth noting that the pecking order was like:
The actual movies - absolute word of god
Novelizations of the movies and the radio dramas they did on PBS - slightly less important, but they didn't really add anything important either.
(imagine like 10 empty levels here)
A few of the games set in other time periods - more important than the extended universe stuff, but if a movie disagreed at all the movie took precedence
(imagine like 50 empty levels here)
The non-movie novels, all of the hundreds of them. All equally as valid as the rest, which is to say, not at all because anything established in them was free to be stomped over by a different series of books, let alone the movies or the games or the official novelizations/radio dramas.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Golbez posted:

When and how was it decided that 2 hours was the best/median length for a movie, and 4-5 minutes for a song?

In the early days of movies, having a "three-reeler" was considered a big deal and the sign of a quality "feature film" in which big money had been invested. Reels ran about 12-15 minutes each. If you Google "three-reeler", you'll get a lot of results from the 1910s about it.

Because early movie houses were repurposed vaudeville theaters, the custom arose to "turn the house" every two hours, which was the usual length of a vaudeville show. So there'd be a short subject, probably singing along to "magic lantern" slides, then the feature, then everyone go home and let the ushers sweep up the popcorn before the next audience comes in. As movie technology improved and people were getting news from radio and television rather than newsreels, feature films took up more and more of the two-hour slot.

Most movies now are about 90-100 minutes long; the rest of the two hours is previews and ads.

There were some four-reelers and five-reelers and all the way up to twelve-reelers, but those were considered epics (the various "Life of Christ" productions, Birth of a Nation, etc.), and theaters would usually charge special ticket prices because they weren't getting new audiences in every two hours.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 3, 2015

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Where should I go to read briefcase or messenger bag reviews? Wirecutter shut down their bag reviews so I'm a bit lost here now and I have to buy a new bag this month.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The Star Wars canon conversation is actually really simple nowadays. Basically everything before last Fall is non-canon except the movies and TV shows. The movies, TV shows, and everything since are canon.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Sometimes your modem needs to be updated in firmware to handle new signaling, other times there are configuration files on the modem that tell it things like "don't use more than X channels for download" or to actively slow itself down when you approach a certain speed.

On their end, they have additional stuff to detect if you hosed with the modem's settings to defeat their limits, and it usually just gets used to cut you off completely, but it all works better when most of the control is right on the modem itself.

Interesante. I figured loving with the modem would have undesirable consequences but was curious how it all worked. Thanks!

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Diabolik900 posted:

The Star Wars canon conversation is actually really simple nowadays. Basically everything before last Fall is non-canon except the movies and TV shows. The movies, TV shows, and everything since are canon.

Does that include Droids and the Star Wars Holiday Special?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's worth noting that the pecking order was like:
The actual movies - absolute word of god
Novelizations of the movies and the radio dramas they did on PBS - slightly less important, but they didn't really add anything important either.
(imagine like 10 empty levels here)
A few of the games set in other time periods - more important than the extended universe stuff, but if a movie disagreed at all the movie took precedence
(imagine like 50 empty levels here)
The non-movie novels, all of the hundreds of them. All equally as valid as the rest, which is to say, not at all because anything established in them was free to be stomped over by a different series of books, let alone the movies or the games or the official novelizations/radio dramas.

Um, that's just not correct. It went more like
Movies
Force Unleashed and animated series
Most of the books and video games
Old books that could be safely disregarded
Explicitly non-canon stuff like the holiday special

Either you're trolling or you're thinking of Star Trek, which does pretty much work like you say. Or you're George Lucas.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

kedo posted:

I just got off the phone with my ISP after increasing my connection speed. The dude said something along the lines of, "okay I uploaded [thing] to your modem to set the new download and upload rate and now I need to restart it..."

I always figured connection speed was capped somewhere on their end, not on my modem. How exactly is it done?

Without getting too technical, most ISPs use some variation of password authentication even if you don't notice it. (If you don't pay your bill, it's cheaper for the ISP to just make your password not work than send someone out to shut off your internet.)

The UL/DL rates are usually set by the ISP. The most likely reason they asked you to restart the modem was to force the modem to disconnect, then log back in with the new settings.

Even if you didn't do that, your modem would have re-logged in after a day or so. But by having you do the usual turn it off/turn it back on, it forced the modem to log out and log back in. And saved you from calling up tech support the next day bitching about how you're paying extra for speed you're not getting, and then some Indian reads a script asking you to try turning it off and back on.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Sep 3, 2015

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Where do I go to read about ships during the age of sail? Specifically what the differences between ships were, how many men typically sailed on each individual ship, and tactics. Also about war ships, and what was the difference between a war ship and a normal ship.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Turtlicious posted:

Where do I go to read about ships during the age of sail? Specifically what the differences between ships were, how many men typically sailed on each individual ship, and tactics. Also about war ships, and what was the difference between a war ship and a normal ship.

Adventures among the Monkey Isles by Guybrush Threepwood

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I am pretty sure there is a name for a kind of computer program where you can feed it a large sample of text and it will then be able to pick up on patterns and generate text that resembles the style of the source material.. What is the name for that, and do any exist in a kind of plug and play form where I can just provide it with the sample text and see what comes out?

E_Motion
Oct 26, 2004

Your fortuitous arrival is most welcome! Now, I am spared the bother of hunting you down!

College Slice

Thermos H Christ posted:

I am pretty sure there is a name for a kind of computer program where you can feed it a large sample of text and it will then be able to pick up on patterns and generate text that resembles the style of the source material.. What is the name for that, and do any exist in a kind of plug and play form where I can just provide it with the sample text and see what comes out?

Do you mean Markov chains?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
In space horror movies, spaceships make sounds like old houses would if they were made out of steel barrels or something. Would spaceships actually make sounds like that?

I'm thinking that the spaceship is warm and cool so it's going to make some sound but it's also in space experiencing like no changes the whole time it's just getting places.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

tuyop posted:

In space horror movies, spaceships make sounds like old houses would if they were made out of steel barrels or something. Would spaceships actually make sounds like that?

I'm thinking that the spaceship is warm and cool so it's going to make some sound but it's also in space experiencing like no changes the whole time it's just getting places.

Most of the foley sounds used were the same contemporary movies would use for planes and ships.

If you want what actual spacecraft sound like, there's plenty of video shot in the various space stations, shuttles, and capsules. A real inter planetary/extra solar manned craft would sound much the same.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I want to figure out what day of the year the Sun will set behind a particular landmark, from a particular vantage point. This is obviously a solved problem (see Stonehenge), but is there a way to do this online or with pen and paper ahead of time? I would rather not have to track the sunset location myself on a day-to-day basis and watch for when it passes behind the landmark.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
poo poo, my laptop doesn't make sound anymore except with headphones on, sound just went up and died like that, while watching a video. The troubleshooting didn't detect any problem and the laptop's speakers are activated, what else could it be and what can I do?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Sorry for the double post but I got sound back by installing the previous version of my sound card (from realtek hd audio to the basic windows one) AND disabling headphones. So the problem was coming from my headphone jack, apparently.

So the problem now is that I have to do disable/enable my headphones everytime. Can someone tell me why my headphone jack suddenty turned against me,

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Sep 4, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Grundulum posted:

I want to figure out what day of the year the Sun will set behind a particular landmark, from a particular vantage point. This is obviously a solved problem (see Stonehenge), but is there a way to do this online or with pen and paper ahead of time? I would rather not have to track the sunset location myself on a day-to-day basis and watch for when it passes behind the landmark.

There is suncalc.net which will show the approximate time of sunset in a general area.

But if you want something to take a picture of something like the Washington Monument at sunset from the steps of the Lincoln Monument, then afaik there's no app for that. You could maybe ask the astronomy or physics thread for someone to make one.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Grundulum posted:

Use google maps to locate your landmark and vantage point in gps coordinates (latitude and longitude). You should be able to find out at which latitude the sun will set on any given day of the year using an almanac (aka Google). Now you can at least sketch out your scene on paper with essentially accurate angular relationships, and probably figure what day of the year, or at least down to a few days. I suspect that you'll be able to get the photo on a few different days.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Lawnie posted:

Use google maps to locate your landmark and vantage point in gps coordinates (latitude and longitude). You should be able to find out at which latitude the sun will set on any given day of the year using an almanac (aka Google). Now you can at least sketch out your scene on paper with essentially accurate angular relationships, and probably figure what day of the year, or at least down to a few days. I suspect that you'll be able to get the photo on a few different days.

Pretty much this. Use a map, even a protractor if necessary, to figure out the relative bearing from your vantage point to your target's location. Due north is zero degrees and it increases as you turn to the right. So for example if you're going to be looking ten degrees south of due west, that's 260 degrees.

Then fire up Stellarium and set your lat/long to match where you're actually going to be (or the same city, at least). Your landmark won't appear (the program just lets you pick from a number of generic landscapes), but you can turn on the azimuthal grid to get precise directional references. Wherever the bearing you calculated (260 degrees in my example) meets the horizon is your target point. So face west, play with the time controls to get to about sunset, then click through the dates and watch the sun get closer to where you need it to be. The time of sunset changes over the course of the year, of course, so you'll need to adjust things as you go. But with a bit of trial and error you should be able to zero in on the exact days you want pretty quickly.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Grundulum posted:

Try suncalc.net

There will be some trial and error involved, but it should give you a fairly decent ballpark figure.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

tuyop posted:

Idk about this but kind of related, why in every film ever made in which lights, usually in a huge room / warehouse / office get turned off (or on), there's a massive sound which indicates the change in lighting. If you've seen any films you'll know exactly what I mean.

This doesn't happen in real life, so why does it happen in film and tv?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Idk about this but kind of related, why in every film ever made in which lights, usually in a huge room / warehouse / office get turned off (or on), there's a massive sound which indicates the change in lighting. If you've seen any films you'll know exactly what I mean.

A) it absolutely does happen in real life and B) because it's film and TV

Edit for content and so I feel less snarky: older warehouses etc often have a main breaker for a poo poo ton of lights on old wiring systems. When you turn the power on, suddenly there's a whole lot of energy running through those wires and lights, which can result in some energy being dissipated as sound while the system comes to equilibrium.

It's just that the effect is often exaggerated for effect on movies and TV, because that is what movies and TV do.

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 5, 2015

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Sorry for the double post but I got sound back by installing the previous version of my sound card (from realtek hd audio to the basic windows one) AND disabling headphones. So the problem was coming from my headphone jack, apparently.

So the problem now is that I have to do disable/enable my headphones everytime. Can someone tell me why my headphone jack suddenty turned against me,
There's a piece of shmutz in your headphone jack that is shorting out the connector even when there's not a pair of headphones plugged in. Try inserting a q-tip dipped in alcohol or blowing in it with compressed air.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Yeah, if you go into a large enough space with the lights tied into a single switch, turning them on does totally make that movie sound. It's not usually as pronounced or... Cinematic as movies, but neither is anything else. I mean, music doesn't swell when you kiss but kissing can be p cool anyway.

I'll look into those videos from spacecraft, though.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

TV tropes and YouTube: things on this are a rabbit hole.

Wilhelm Scream
Hawk/falcon screech

(I have worked in a warehouse with a main breaker, and worked out on outside fields with night lighting, and unfortunately never heard the sound people say occurs. I love that sound. We would just go ahead and make the sound with our mouths when when threw the breaker arm, so as not to be :shonbori )

kapalama fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 5, 2015

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Any colorblind goons here? Can you guys distinguish the political regions on this map, which are orange and light green?

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Looking at Sim Daltonism, you're good to go in 8 variations of color blindness.

Jeffrey Colon fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 5, 2015

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Where did the idea that ninjas dress all in black come from?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

kapalama posted:

TV tropes and YouTube things on this a a rabbit hole.

Wilhelm Scream
Hawk/falcon screech

(I have worked in a warehouse with a main breaker, and worked out fields with night lighting, and unfortunately never heard the sound people say occurs. I love that sound. We would just go ahead and make the sound with our mouths when when threw the breaker arm, so as not to be :shonbori

Yeah I've worked in places with the kind of lighting that Hollywood tells me should make those sounds, but I've never heard it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

photomikey posted:

There's a piece of shmutz in your headphone jack that is shorting out the connector even when there's not a pair of headphones plugged in. Try inserting a q-tip dipped in alcohol or blowing in it with compressed air.

Thanks, I think I have a can of compressed air, I'll try it out.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

Where did the idea that ninjas dress all in black come from?

The popular notion of black clothing is likely rooted in artistic convention; early drawings of ninja were showed them dressed in black in order to portray a sense of invisibility.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

Any colorblind goons here? Can you guys distinguish the political regions on this map, which are orange and light green?

I'm "red-green colour deficient" and there appears to be green (Sparta), orange (Athens), blue (Melos), and grey (Asia Minor). Past experience with guessing colours has told me that the orange could also be red and the green could also be yellow.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Poldarn posted:

I'm "red-green colour deficient" and there appears to be green (Sparta), orange (Athens), blue (Melos), and grey (Asia Minor). Past experience with guessing colours has told me that the orange could also be red and the green could also be yellow.
The top-left corner of the map is also supposed to be grey. Grey is the color code for those lands not allied to either Sparta or Athens. Can you distinguish the difference between the light green and the grey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

The top-left corner of the map is also supposed to be grey. Grey is the color code for those lands not allied to either Sparta or Athens. Can you distinguish the difference between the light green and the grey?

Yes I can. Are you making a history presentation for the colour-blind?