Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Radio Spiricom posted:

rebellion is one of the best anime movies of the 21st century so far along with disappearance, rebuild 3, mind game, and innocence

This is a god tier list of anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also Sigh has the most dramatic moment in the series (until the film but the moment in the film is sort of a different kind of shock) and since it comes after 6 hours of sleepy adolescent ennui it's quite upsetting.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My trip ended a day early but I still will be unable to watch tonight. Enjoy the episode all, it's extremely cool.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

In Training posted:

Also Sigh has the most dramatic moment in the series (until the film but the moment in the film is sort of a different kind of shock) and since it comes after 6 hours of sleepy adolescent ennui it's quite upsetting.

sigh is different because the episodes aren't structured like episodes, it's more like a cut up movie. although obviously a totally different kind of movie from disappearance, part of me wonders if maybe they used sigh as practice in some way. probably not but who knows.

I always enjoy it though, reminds me of being a dumb high schooler making movies :3:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That's why I'm planning on watching Sigh in one sitting this time, something I don't think I've done before. I think it will work better as a single work, since it's very atypical to everything else in the show and there's really little distinguishing the parts in terms of narrative and pacing.

Also ditto to the making movies as a child/teen.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

yeah I mean as much as melancholy is a cut up movie in some ways, they make a point to at least give every episode a beginning and end, even if the middle is kinda scrambled by normal tv standards

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody is what I would point to as my favorite episode before this rewatch, so I'm excited to see if it holds up.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zas posted:

yeah I mean as much as melancholy is a cut up movie in some ways, they make a point to at least give every episode a beginning and end, even if the middle is kinda scrambled by normal tv standards

This is definitely a result of the narrative structure, since the parts were written in a specific way considering for the episodes surrounding them

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

In Training posted:

This is definitely a result of the narrative structure, since the parts were written in a specific way considering for the episodes surrounding them

oh I agree, and I think it's cool that melancholy manages to work as a good 6-parter even with this in mind

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I can never think of a better term for it than 'modularity' but I'd prefer something less dorky / less reminiscent of scandinavian furniture

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Modularity is a cool term for it. The writing is so tight that shuffling the media never lessens the emotional impact of the story, and in some ways, heightens it.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I had to catch-up watching the last two episodes just now, but the ponytail line is one of my favorite things ever

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Today is zas's birthday!!!

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
For a second, I thought that Haruhi was going to force a plant to join the SOS.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

lol, i never noticed the mengo mengo line

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Linnaeus posted:

lol, i never noticed the mengo mengo line

haha same

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

oh yeah mikuru's character also gets a big boost in s2, so to speak. good season for koizumu and mikuru

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

I'm sure youll get a good dog someday kyon

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I'll never get tired of bench and lighting

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I want the world to revolve around me, backwards

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

in all honesty it's cool that mikuru manages to grow up from a severe anxiety disorder case into a well adjusted adult with sexy theme music. assuming that's what's really going on, anyway (dangerous assumption!)

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

thats because she started dating me in the future (spoiler alert)

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Dammit Kyon stop making causality weird

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

vertigo shot spotted

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
The glasses are back.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Command Ant posted:

The glasses are back.

And now they're gone

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I forgot how flat the lighting is in this sequence compared to it's brother in Disappearance

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

that's one important bookmark

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

emehgency-mode

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I'll bet it would really suck to work a job where you take orders from a future, more mature version of yourself.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

maybe the older mikuru has an even older mikuru supervising her

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

haha

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

oh man top shelf koizumi moment w/the king

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

I like the new ed but I wish it had less flashes

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I've been having my mind blown for 23 minutes straight, what the hell is this amazing episode.

Also, Kyon hopes that whatever comes next doesn't give him a headache.

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody is what I would point to as my favorite episode before this rewatch, so I'm excited to see if it holds up.

Having watched this for the first time, it was a neat episode.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Mentat Radnor posted:

Also, Kyon hopes that whatever comes next doesn't give him a headache.

9/11 is gonna be trouble :D

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Linnaeus posted:

I like the new ed but I wish it had less flashes

yeah kinda feels like they're worried about it being boring and overcompensating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

maybeflan posted:

Having watched this for the first time, it was a neat episode.

I think it held up reasonably well. It doesn't have quite as much style as the better season 1 episodes, but it has good substance. Sets things up that we've already seen and have yet to. I really like the casual reveal that they were sleeping in the next room the whole time.

Also, apparently I have a lovely version of season 2 that I downloaded as it came out 6 years ago, so I need to fix that. This was not pretty enough.

• Locked thread