Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

The best thing you can do if coaching young kids is to continually remind the parents (like every other practice) that you're teaching, not trying to win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Having fun. All that.

If and when I do coach, my troupe won't get participant trophies. gently caress that movement.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I bought new soccer balls for all the kids I coached. Way better than some dumb medals for participating.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The only way kids will become comfortable on the ball is if they play all the time. At school lunchtime, after school, in the house, in the garden. I attribute my decent dribbling and control to constantly running through the house with the ball, nutmegging chairs and chipping it into laundry baskets.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Exploratory surgery next week. Let's hope that goes well. Shoving a camera in my artery to find the points of blockage.

Also, if ANYONE is having blood flow issues with their legs, like what I have had, get a PVC pipe, one to fit around it or a bunch of couplers, and essentially squeegee the blood back up from your legs to past your knee. It helps with the pain a lot, and fixes (temporarily) with the issue.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Chas McGill posted:

The only way kids will become comfortable on the ball is if they play all the time. At school lunchtime, after school, in the house, in the garden. I attribute my decent dribbling and control to constantly running through the house with the ball, nutmegging chairs and chipping it into laundry baskets.

make em do the 1000 touch workout every recess!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Chas McGill posted:

Exactly. And American kids really don't do this but I am starting to see it more and more.

Soulex posted:

Exploratory surgery next week. Let's hope that goes well. Shoving a camera in my artery to find the points of blockage.

Good luck man. Hopefully they can get you up and running soon.

In other news that no one cares about but I'm going to post anyway my two daughters who play are in a tournament that started yesterday. Both teams are off to strong starts, having one their first two games in shutouts. The younger one's team looks like a whole new team, they are really starting to work together well and my daughter has scored in each of her games. My older daughter has been starting at left back and has played really well. They are playing an attacking 4-4-2 and the coach really encourages the backs to get involved in the attack. The girl who plays the right is much more aggressive in that respect and I've been trying to encourage my daughter to be a little more aggressive with her runs as well. Her team is really, really good and that's not just the dad in me talking. Today they won 8-0 and our keeper only had 1 or 2 serious attacks to defend. She is a great keeper too so they weren't too worrying.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I looooove how the goalie of my team constantly kicks the ball so hard and far that it goes into the out or into the hands of the opposing goalkeeper.

I mean for gently caress's sake, it's recreational 7-a-side football on a much smaller playing field.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

Exactly. And American kids really don't do this but I am starting to see it more and more.

Good luck man. Hopefully they can get you up and running soon.

In other news that no one cares about but I'm going to post anyway my two daughters who play are in a tournament that started yesterday. Both teams are off to strong starts, having one their first two games in shutouts. The younger one's team looks like a whole new team, they are really starting to work together well and my daughter has scored in each of her games. My older daughter has been starting at left back and has played really well. They are playing an attacking 4-4-2 and the coach really encourages the backs to get involved in the attack. The girl who plays the right is much more aggressive in that respect and I've been trying to encourage my daughter to be a little more aggressive with her runs as well. Her team is really, really good and that's not just the dad in me talking. Today they won 8-0 and our keeper only had 1 or 2 serious attacks to defend. She is a great keeper too so they weren't too worrying.

Thanks. I'm hoping it goes well last surgery I had I went to like 4-7 breaths per minute and they had to pull me from painkillers/anesthesia until my vitals went stable again.

I'm glad you're having fun coaching most of all. Any good books or guides you reference?

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Soulex posted:

Also, if ANYONE is having blood flow issues with their legs, like what I have had, get a PVC pipe, one to fit around it or a bunch of couplers, and essentially squeegee the blood back up from your legs to past your knee. It helps with the pain a lot, and fixes (temporarily) with the issue.

Hope it goes well and there's nothing too invasive that needs doing. I had surgery after my achilles snapped in half during a match last year, recovery on leg injuries is a oval office

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What do you guys like for boots? I believe this came up a long, long while back when somebody was complaining all all the rainbow-coloured synthetic clown shoes he had to walk past on his way to pick up another pair of Copas.

I'm wondering in particular if the weight of the shoe makes much difference. I thought about going with Copas or Kings, i.e. old-fashioned genuine leather, but they are heavier. I wonder if dropping from a 10 oz. boot to a 6 oz. one would actually make any difference in keeping pace. However, looking at different models of the same product line (Hypervenom, evoSpeed, donkeyDick, whatever) I notice that it's the cheaper models that are usually lighter. I don't want to buy fragile boots for a forward to stomp on with his big metal studs.

I'm wearing these for rugby, by the way. I bought a pair of Puma PowerCats my first season, and I'm still wearing them 3 seasons later. I'm just waiting for them to catastrophically rip apart.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I don't think a couple extra ounces matter that much. The most important things are how comfortable does it feel, how long will it last, and how does the ball feel at my feet (which doesn't really apply to you, by the sound of it). The rest is just marketing bullshit. I never noticed the extra ounces.

I've been using my Reebok SprintFit Pros since like 2008 or whenever they came out. They've outlasted many other shoes I've worn. I personally think pumas are very poorly made, but it's good to hear yours have lasted so long.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

What position do you play on your rugby team?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Mercurials are really comfortable but they also fall apart really quickly. Im back to wearing my trusty Umbro Speciali that have lasted forever and are good enough for 5 a side.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Soulex posted:

Thanks. I'm hoping it goes well last surgery I had I went to like 4-7 breaths per minute and they had to pull me from painkillers/anesthesia until my vitals went stable again.

I'm glad you're having fun coaching most of all. Any good books or guides you reference?

Most of what I've learned on my own I found just by scouring the internet and bascially reading anything I found that piqued my interest. Some stuff I found particularly helpful was:

bettersoccermorefun.com - This site was a great primer for me and I really bought into the "dutch method" of coaching. I was primarily coaching rec for a long time so I had to work with vastly differing skills among the kids. The emphasis on small side games really helped me get more out of my practices with my rec kids. It also gave me a good framework for evaluating and teaching them. I still read it regularly.

http://www.ussoccer.com/coaching-education/resources - the best practices document on this page is also really good in my opinion.

http://www.footy4kids.co.uk/# - a great grab bag of drills, coaching articles, practice plans, etc.

http://www.usyouthsoccer.org/coaches/Education/ - The USYSA Coaching Manual on this page is really good.

As far as drills and games for practices there are endless amounts of them on the internet.

If I was giving a advice to a new coach the main thing I would emphasize is that less is more. Over coaching is by far the worst problem I've seen in the youth soccer world here in the US. The younger the kids are the more important this is. As you know, soccer is a fluid game that demands creativity in execution and the only way kids will learn this is by doing, without interference. When I was helping with one of my daughter's practices the other night they were scrimmaging against another select team and one of our girls playing right back was trying to play the ball out of the back and she was getting some pressure. The main assistant for my daughter's team starts yelling "Cruyff turn, Cruyff turn" at her and I just wanted to throttle him. He and the head coach are constantly trying to coach them from the sideline during games.

The second most important thing is to learn what is important to certain age groups (and genders, yes there are differences) in terms of how they learn and what they should be learning. This can be taught to some degree but it is an art too and I'm pretty luck in that respect in that I've found I am quite good at developing a rapport with kids, probably because I am a big kid myself.

From a technical standpoint I'd tell new coaches to plan their practices to get kids as many touches on the ball as they can. I hate drills that have kids standing in line waiting for a turn. In some cases its unavoidable but I make them few and far between. Frankly sometimes the best thing you can do is roll the ball out and let them play for a while.

I took one license course and it was ok but it was a pretty basic one (USSF "E"). You can now take the USSF E course online as well as the NSCAA Level 1 online now. I can't speak to the utility of these but at some point I'm going to have get some if I want to keep going with coaching.

With that said, I'd put myself up against most coaches that coach at the level that I'm coaching at now. In my opinion coaching rec kids is in many ways tougher than coaching the select side I'm working with now. I had a lot of success with my rec teams and one of the commissioners at the club I coached at in Florida told me I was the most requested coach in rec division in our club.

My playing experience was very limited growing up. I lived in a town where soccer was non-existent for most of my life so I mostly played with my stepdad, who is a Uruguayan national who played club soccer there. Pretty good guy to go 1v1 with and learn the game from. But I've been a fan my whole life so I have a good understanding of the game and so I don't think my lack of any sort of high level playing experience is much of a hindrance.

Really if you are driven to learn as much as you can there is plenty out there.

Sorry for tooting my own horn a bit but I seriously love coaching this sport and I am pretty good at it. I've considered taking it on as a profession when I retire from the military in 3 years but I'm not sure 42 is the point where I want to start working my way up the coaching ranks. But I've had a lot of success everywhere that I've coached so I feel a bit confident in my abilities. ;)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

vulturesrow posted:

What position do you play on your rugby team?
Wing, occasionally fill in at outside center. Maybe my boots just last a long time because I don't get my foot stomped on every other play, but it seems odd that they've lasted this long.

Vinestalk posted:

I don't think a couple extra ounces matter that much. The most important things are how comfortable does it feel, how long will it last, and how does the ball feel at my feet (which doesn't really apply to you, by the sound of it). The rest is just marketing bullshit. I never noticed the extra ounces.

I've been using my Reebok SprintFit Pros since like 2008 or whenever they came out. They've outlasted many other shoes I've worn. I personally think pumas are very poorly made, but it's good to hear yours have lasted so long.
Mine are an all-leather upper, which is probably why they've lasted so long. I bought them because I had two pairs of Puma sneakers and was confident that I could order online and know I was getting the right size, which has held true. The fit is a little narrow at the toes, but I find that to be true for me with a lot of athletic shoes.

Rugby boots are subject to the same "cutting-edge poopyFast technology! made with our new Buttspeed system for total control!" marketing. Oh, and they all have some equally dumb name for the "strike zones" that makes it sound like I'm going to kick the other team's fullback with a razor in my shoe. But really the only thing that makes a difference is if you like off-center laces for kicking. I think I have some weird misshape to my left instep that causes the tongues of my left shoes to rotate outward and sometimes cause pain across my instep, so I don't want that in my next pair. (I've checked, and I'm more than 90% certain it's not a gait issue.)

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Aug 20, 2015

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Just speaking to the thread in general, but if you like me have been paying through the nose to get boots for wide feet (Paying like $200 for $70 boots that get sent from Japan) Amazon has some ASICS Men's DS Light Wide in stock. I got a pair and they're (gaudy but) nice. It's weird to me that I can get good sizing options on formal shoes and casual shoes and pretty much any shoes except for the sport where you kick the ball with your feet.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

As we're on boots chat, I'm looking for good shoes for playing on 3G. I've been using an old pair of Predators, but the studs aren't the best for the standard of pitch and occasionally I'll turn my ankle a bit by going over on them. Something with a similar kind of fit would be nice though, if anyone's got suggestions.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Guitar_Hero posted:

As we're on boots chat, I'm looking for good shoes for playing on 3G. I've been using an old pair of Predators, but the studs aren't the best for the standard of pitch and occasionally I'll turn my ankle a bit by going over on them. Something with a similar kind of fit would be nice though, if anyone's got suggestions.

Anything with round studs should be fine. I had the same issue with my knees/ankles when I played with blade style studs on turf as well.

Either that or check out stuff with AG soleplates since they're designed for that kind of surface. My only gripe with them is that they're not that grippy in the wet.

http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/lists/football-boots.aspx?t=artificial+grass

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Shrapnig posted:

Anything with round studs should be fine. I had the same issue with my knees/ankles when I played with blade style studs on turf as well.

Either that or check out stuff with AG soleplates since they're designed for that kind of surface. My only gripe with them is that they're not that grippy in the wet.

http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/lists/football-boots.aspx?t=artificial+grass

Cheers for the tips! I'm pretty much the only one that wears studs amongst the guys I play with - casual 5-7 a side depending on turnout that week - so I'll probably go with the AG soles, and maybe bust out the old shoes if it's raining.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Rolled my ankle badly last night. Can't walk on it at all. Went to the doctor's and they said no broken bones yay. On a boot for 2 weeks.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Geno posted:

Rolled my ankle badly last night. Can't walk on it at all. Went to the doctor's and they said no broken bones yay. On a boot for 2 weeks.

Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevate.

If you are in pain, start barely touching your ankle like you would if you were rub/scratching the leg or arm. The reason being is that you will feel pleasure before pain, and it's difficult for the brain to comprehend both. The medical reason has to deal with the nerve endings on your skin. When you get hit somewhere (like the arm) you'll notice that the surface hurts immediately but that deep hurt in the muscles takes a few moments to reach your brain. Those nerves send information a lot slower than the surface nerves.

I knew about the "pleasure before pain" thing because my mom is an RN, and has been for 30 odd years. One day I hurt my arm and she showed me (I was like 8) and I remembered it. Going through interdisciplinary pain management for the past few weeks they explained the process on why it is like that (again, the speed of the transmission is different for those nerves) . Figured it would help for anyone that gets knocks or whatever. Take it as you will, should help some with minor bumps and bruises.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Had a three hour surgery today and immediately after coming to, started to have PTSD related panic attacks. Won't know the diagnosis until tomorrow or Wednesday but considering they couldn't find a pulse on my right foot for about 5 minutes, I'd say more surgery is in the cards.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Got the worst news today. Docs told me my exploratory poo poo was inconclusive for popliteal artery entrapment syndrome. What does that mean? They have no idea what is causing me pain and have referred me to pain management which I am already seeing.

There is a very real possibility I won't get fixed, I'll never get to play again, I'll never get to play with my kids, and I'll be in chronic pain the rest of my life.

This was the second worst thing to happen to me today too. gently caress PTSD

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
drat, rough to hear. I haven't played in almost 2 weeks and it' been killing me. Can't imagine to be in your situation.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
When it comes to diagnoses like that, I think it's always worth seeking a second opinion. If they are literally out of ideas, then there's no real harm in getting some fresh eyes on your charts and imaging. If you haven't already (and I imagine you probably have) get copies of whatever medical information they're willing to give you. After you find a specialist you trust, sign whatever HIPAA release is required for your old specialist to send everything to the new one.

That being said, rehab and pain management aren't the death sentence they're made out to be. If you find the right facility with knowledgable staff, they can do a lot of good work getting back lost mobility and stability.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)

Soulex posted:

Got the worst news today. Docs told me my exploratory poo poo was inconclusive for popliteal artery entrapment syndrome. What does that mean? They have no idea what is causing me pain and have referred me to pain management which I am already seeing.

There is a very real possibility I won't get fixed, I'll never get to play again, I'll never get to play with my kids, and I'll be in chronic pain the rest of my life.

This was the second worst thing to happen to me today too. gently caress PTSD

gently caress, that sounds rough - PTSD and panic can be insidious and self propelling, you need to make sure you've got support around you and the help you need to get through this time.

I hope you get some good news - as the poster above alluded to, an inconclusive result from an exploratory surgery only means really rules out the things they were looking for. Depending on what they actually found, it may end up that the diagnosis is a different condiition altogether.

Don't give up, one of the horrible parts of panic disorders is the feeling of inevitablility of catastrophes to come - but the disease is a liar.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Good luck Soulex, and take the above dude's advice. Hopefully you can get better news from a second opinion.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Vinestalk posted:

When it comes to diagnoses like that, I think it's always worth seeking a second opinion. If they are literally out of ideas, then there's no real harm in getting some fresh eyes on your charts and imaging. If you haven't already (and I imagine you probably have) get copies of whatever medical information they're willing to give you. After you find a specialist you trust, sign whatever HIPAA release is required for your old specialist to send everything to the new one.

That being said, rehab and pain management aren't the death sentence they're made out to be. If you find the right facility with knowledgable staff, they can do a lot of good work getting back lost mobility and stability.

I'll try to do that. I'm not sure the Army does many second opinions but it's something I'm gonna try and bring up for sure. So far I've been seen by a myriad of departments. Orthopedics, Vascular Surgery, Family Medicine, Physical Therapy (x2), Pain Management (x2), and a few more like providers and stuff and stuff. I don't know or think I have any civilian options without paying out of pocket. It's frustrating as hell because, as you guys have been with me the entire journey, it's been going on for years. And there isn't an answer. My boss asked if I was upset because I didn't get surgery, and I said no. I was upset that I didn't have an answer, upset that there wasn't a decision to help, and an endstate. Short of cutting my legs off I don't care what they have to do to make me better.

As shown above, I already went to pain management once before, and I'm going again now. Physical Therapy has flat out told me that they can't do anything else for me.

I'll get my records for sure though, and see what I can't do. Maybe I'll send them to my mom, she's an RN in the field with like 30 years experience. She might be able to reach out to some docs or in the right area. I'm gonna keep going to pain management though, do what I can. I'm doing that weird electronic thing where they put the pads above the areas that hurt and shock it. It's a scrambler or whatever it's called. Also Chiropractor, group therapy, acupuncture and pain meds.

Thanks though, I'm definitely going to heed the advice and do what I can to get another opinion.

It seems like the end because the road is so difficult and there isn't anything they can point it to.

Tongues posted:

gently caress, that sounds rough - PTSD and panic can be insidious and self propelling, you need to make sure you've got support around you and the help you need to get through this time.

I hope you get some good news - as the poster above alluded to, an inconclusive result from an exploratory surgery only means really rules out the things they were looking for. Depending on what they actually found, it may end up that the diagnosis is a different condiition altogether.

Don't give up, one of the horrible parts of panic disorders is the feeling of inevitablility of catastrophes to come - but the disease is a liar.

Yeah, PTSD is rough and causes a large bunch of issues not related to the pain. it sucks. Lots of suck.

It ruled out PAES, you're right, and they mentioned that I do still have some compartment syndrome in my deep compartment but the surgery is too risky for the strength of the issue. Essentially, they could accidentally nick a nerve or a ligament or whatever and make it so I can't flex my foot. Same with PAES, there was evidence of some of it, but not enough for surigical procedures.

I'm hoping the disease is a liar, I know chronic pain is a relatively newish thing that people have had for a while but are starting to get more research done with it. I actually helped with a paper that one of my doc's was writing. Another one is writing a paper about an unconventional way to raise mood and stuff via those shock pads and stuff. He's the chiropractor and essentially helps me squeegee the blood out of my lower legs, and it helps. It's weird but it helps.

All I can do right now is endure, not like in a way that I'm suicidal , it's just the way forward.

Drogadon posted:

Good luck Soulex, and take the above dude's advice. Hopefully you can get better news from a second opinion.

Thanks.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate it. I know I'm not the most liked, and I'm not trying to e/n, it's just a rough time. Something everyone goes through in their own way.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Sounds like that physical therapy office is full of poo poo. There's always something they can do. If they're not on the same page as your pain management clinic and coming up with a good in-office and at-home workout plan, then they're not worth going to.

I know VA insurance really blows, but do they give you an HSA or a flex card or anything like that? It can really help ameliorate the costs of paying out of pocket. It's also worth looking into reimbursement programs for health expenditures.

Edit: Anecdotally, from my own experience, going to a different physical therapy office and having a different doctor examine my ankle made a world of difference. I used to have pretty poor stability and lingering pain that would put me on the sidelines for 1-2 weeks at a time. Now, I hardly notice it and I'm playing about as well as I was 5 years ago (albeit slightly slower).

Vinestalk fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 2, 2015

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Vinestalk posted:

Sounds like that physical therapy office is full of poo poo. There's always something they can do. If they're not on the same page as your pain management clinic and coming up with a good in-office and at-home workout plan, then they're not worth going to.

I know VA insurance really blows, but do they give you an HSA or a flex card or anything like that? It can really help ameliorate the costs of paying out of pocket. It's also worth looking into reimbursement programs for health expenditures.

Edit: Anecdotally, from my own experience, going to a different physical therapy office and having a different doctor examine my ankle made a world of difference. I used to have pretty poor stability and lingering pain that would put me on the sidelines for 1-2 weeks at a time. Now, I hardly notice it and I'm playing about as well as I was 5 years ago (albeit slightly slower).

I thought so too, but it was two different clinics. One here in Washington and the other in Germany. Essentially they gave me a rubber band and had me do that stuff with moving my ankles and trying to strengthen those muscles. After about two weeks they said "Ok! We know you're in pain still but there isn't anything else we can do, so go back to orthopedics!" Which I did, and hasn't helped any.

I'm still in the service, so I'm not having to deal with the VA or anything like that. I'm trying vehemently to get medboarded for a lot of issues and problems that I'm running through. Ideally, I'd like to get this poo poo all worked out so I can play with my kids and myself at some point in a 30 and older league. The problem is the running, I can't do that without sharp stabbing pains in my calf. It happens when I walk too sadly so the walks that I get to do with my family are usually pretty small and short. I'm hoping to get something out of the medboard, but I've been told from other people with leg issues that you don't get much because disability only counts for stuff that causes problems with work or whatever. Seeing that I wouldn't be running or being super active at a job they wouldn't give me much for it. They don't keep in mind my personal life or anything.

I've got an appointment to start learning how to do foam rolling which is supposed to help give like a deep tissue massage or whatever for my legs.

There is supposedly a program that takes me in for 6 weeks and teaches me work out stuff that I can do to help get fitness back and everything. The first opening is supposedly in December, so I have to wait until then. I'm hoping that works.

I'm also going to try to go to the park and just kick the ball into the net. I've been pretty proactive with trying to keep playing somehow with the ball, whether it's just taking touches or if it's passing against a wall. I'll do it, pass the ball to my son who will run over and pick it up and bring it back to me (yeah, it's like fetch but he loves it. That and bouncing the ball down our stairs), but I have to stop after a bit cause it just loving hurts.

Thanks man.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I was going to recommend the foam rolling thing too but just in a "might as well give it a shot" sense, sounds like the doctors are at a loss and I don't know anything they don't. There isn't much too it, you just put your leg on a stiffer version of a pool noodle (or a ball sometimes), put some weight on it, and roll over it so it smushes the muscles up and down. Hope you feel better and be careful with any opiates!

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Foam rollers are great, it won't do much for your shins but for the bigger muscle groups in your legs it does wonders.

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.
Anyone have any advice for plantar fasciitis and not completely giving up playing for a few months? I have a pretty mild case that isn't going away, got some arch support and a night splint though and it seems to maybe be improving, just really slowly. Cut back from playing 3-4 days a week (lunch pick-up games and adult league futsal) to playing goalie 1-2 days a week. It's hard to avoid playing because it doesn't hurt at all when I'm warmed up and playing, and just feels like a tight muscle when I wake up and when I've been on my feet all day. But it just isn't going away.

Just wondering if other people have been able to recover from this poo poo while still playing occasionally, or if it literally took just not playing at all for 8 weeks and swimming/cycling for exercise instead. Definitely don't want to develop a heel spur or some poo poo, but also not playing for like a few months for something that's a mild annoyance when I wake up is just kind of hard to imagine.

Anyone have any shoe advice too? I think that's part of the issue - indoor boots are loving brutal in terms of offering zero support and zero cushion. I got some adidas boost shoes that have a bit of cushion but no arch support, and it also feels like my foot is sitting too high so I roll over the cushion in the shoe. It's better than the hard soled pieces of poo poo I was wearing before, but guessing there might be something out there that either works with custom insoles or offers some level of basic arch support.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Soulex posted:

I thought so too, but it was two different clinics. One here in Washington and the other in Germany. Essentially they gave me a rubber band and had me do that stuff with moving my ankles and trying to strengthen those muscles. After about two weeks they said "Ok! We know you're in pain still but there isn't anything else we can do, so go back to orthopedics!" Which I did, and hasn't helped any.

I'm still in the service, so I'm not having to deal with the VA or anything like that. I'm trying vehemently to get medboarded for a lot of issues and problems that I'm running through. Ideally, I'd like to get this poo poo all worked out so I can play with my kids and myself at some point in a 30 and older league. The problem is the running, I can't do that without sharp stabbing pains in my calf. It happens when I walk too sadly so the walks that I get to do with my family are usually pretty small and short. I'm hoping to get something out of the medboard, but I've been told from other people with leg issues that you don't get much because disability only counts for stuff that causes problems with work or whatever. Seeing that I wouldn't be running or being super active at a job they wouldn't give me much for it. They don't keep in mind my personal life or anything.

I've got an appointment to start learning how to do foam rolling which is supposed to help give like a deep tissue massage or whatever for my legs.

There is supposedly a program that takes me in for 6 weeks and teaches me work out stuff that I can do to help get fitness back and everything. The first opening is supposedly in December, so I have to wait until then. I'm hoping that works.

I'm also going to try to go to the park and just kick the ball into the net. I've been pretty proactive with trying to keep playing somehow with the ball, whether it's just taking touches or if it's passing against a wall. I'll do it, pass the ball to my son who will run over and pick it up and bring it back to me (yeah, it's like fetch but he loves it. That and bouncing the ball down our stairs), but I have to stop after a bit cause it just loving hurts.

Thanks man.

I've been there. I don't talk about it a lot, but I had some serious issues with my knee from the Army. My knee was the side of a cantaloupe and I was hospitalized for a week. I was basically told to take 2 weeks leave and it'll get better. Of course that did nothing, and I came back to get thrust back in right off the bat.

See a civilian doctor. You're going to pay for it of course, but it is absolutely worth it in the long run for your health. I lost a ton of range of motion in my knee and the Army basically threw up their hands and said "We have no idea!" but a civilian doctor gave a plausible idea what had happened (brown recluse bite that was not treated) and that it ate into knee ligaments. Considered the hole in my knee and the dying flesh, it seems likely enough.

In the end I was medically discharged (honorable discharge) but if I hadn't presented what I found out from a civilian doctor I would have likely been chaptered out on a general discharge.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Foam rollers are pretty good, but I've found that they're really only a supplementary exercise used to compliment other means of treatment. If there's a lot of issues with IT bands, hamstrings, groin muscles, and the achilles, then a foam roller is going to be great in alleviating tension and providing more flexibility to do other things (which can be correcting basic mechanics, improving stability, and other associated treatments). But the most important thing is always going to be knowing the underlying issues for whatever is causing the discomfort and treating them in a measured approach.

mushi posted:

Just wondering if other people have been able to recover from this poo poo while still playing occasionally, or if it literally took just not playing at all for 8 weeks and swimming/cycling for exercise instead. Definitely don't want to develop a heel spur or some poo poo, but also not playing for like a few months for something that's a mild annoyance when I wake up is just kind of hard to imagine.

My recommendation is to just take it easy. After my bouts with chronic injuries, I just came to the conclusion that I'd rather get fully fit and prevent long-term serious damage further down the road. I did a lot of dumb stuff playing injured and I certainly paid for it.

Vinestalk fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 3, 2015

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
I liked better when people were posting about playing actual football and doing celebrations when they score in 5 a side than this becoming all about Soulexs injuries

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

The Big Taff Man posted:

I liked better when people were posting about playing actual football and doing celebrations when they score in 5 a side than this becoming all about Soulexs injuries

Maybe you should gently caress off out of this thread for the moment then and come back when the posting is more to your taste.

Soulex, I'm going to second the advice to find a second / third / etc opinion, from whoever you can. While there's any inconclusive results, there's going to only be good come from more eyes on the issue. Keep your head up and keep pushing for a result, something will come of it eventually.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The Big Taff Man posted:

When was the last tome your doughy rear end actually played football?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Shrapnig posted:

When was the last tome your doughy rear end actually played football?

I played that zorb football where you all wear the massive balls around your torso (its loving shite dont ever do it) for a stag do a few weeks ago, and we somehow managed to give one of the lads a black eye when we all ran into him at the same time in the boards