Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

SimpleCoax posted:

Are there any more things like this? I would like to find one for all my gopro stuff and one for my mirrorless camera stuff and be able to put them into my existing backpacks or shoulder bags.

I had the ICU and I personally found them to be cumbersome. It was super stiff and fit into my backpack too snugly, so pulling it out was hard. It also opens from the front rather than the top, so I had to have a thing to balance it on to take things out or put things in.

I since snyped to Domke lens wraps and the Crumpler Haven for the same thing and I'm really happy with that setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Yea, yea, it's kickstarter, but anyone have any thoughts on this Everyday Messenger bag? Their other stuff consistently has 4.5 stars on Amazon and this looks well thought-out to me and doesn't look like a Photo Bag. I like how their external clip takes an Arca plate.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
edit: nvm, got my question answered.

Fake James fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 12, 2015

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Heads up, I got one of these for my ona bag and it made it about 100x more comfortable to lug around - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009R86L?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf

spoof posted:

Yea, yea, it's kickstarter, but anyone have any thoughts on this Everyday Messenger bag? Their other stuff consistently has 4.5 stars on Amazon and this looks well thought-out to me and doesn't look like a Photo Bag. I like how their external clip takes an Arca plate.

This actually looks like a really good bag.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RangerScum posted:

Heads up, I got one of these for my ona bag and it made it about 100x more comfortable to lug around - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009R86L?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

I love the Domke shoulder pad. It's crazy how comfortable it is.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

You can find pads like those for mail carriers on the cheap as well sometimes. They're awesome.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I like shoulder pads but I hate how they always end up behind my back when I'm moving around a lot during a shoot.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

What's the best way to carry a camera on a sling strap and bring along a few lenses, without looking like a complete goober with a fanny pack or something?

I've tried sling strap + messenger bag but shuffling the straps around can get a bit messy sometimes.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

404notfound posted:

What's the best way to carry a camera on a sling strap and bring along a few lenses, without looking like a complete goober with a fanny pack or something?

I've tried sling strap + messenger bag but shuffling the straps around can get a bit messy sometimes.

Depends a bit on the sizes of the lenses, but I've usually found a backpack or sling bag best for keeping things out of the way. A backpack isn't going to flop around or move much, and most sling bags these days are very stable as well.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

DJExile posted:

Depends a bit on the sizes of the lenses, but I've usually found a backpack or sling bag best for keeping things out of the way. A backpack isn't going to flop around or move much, and most sling bags these days are very stable as well.

I never had much of a problem using a messenger bag with a sling strap. I would put the messenger bag cross body on my left side and the sling strap cross body on the right side. The bag would go on first and the camera strap on top since that's the one that'll be flying around the most. Backpacks and sling bags are the worst with cross body sling straps because then you're dealing with too much movement and straps getting tangled up every time you want to change a lens or whatever.

The best setup I've found is to use a wrist strap, as long as your camera is small and light enough. You get maximum flexibility and freedom and minimum fuss.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Put the lenses in your rear end.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

404notfound posted:

I bought some LowePro lens holders that fit on my belt for photo events (I keep the wide in one and the tele in another, since I use the normal zoom as the walking lens) and it works well for just 2 lenses and their caps/holsters.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

8th-snype posted:

Mods new thread title pls

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

8th-snype posted:

Makes it difficult to zoom with your feet.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

HPL posted:

Makes it difficult to zoom with your feet.

Optical image stabilization feels divine nestled against your prostate gland.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Brings a new meaning to IBIS.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
f/8 and bring lube

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Any recommendations for good bag within bags? I would like a small one to hold my mirror less and a couple lenses inside my normal backpack.

This is the only one I've found and seems to be decommissioned although still sold by third party.
Crumpler Haven Camera Bag (S) HVN001-X06G40 - Black/Grey https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007Q5ITFU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

MeruFM posted:

Any recommendations for good bag within bags? I would like a small one to hold my mirror less and a couple lenses inside my normal backpack.

I got a cheap one off of aliexpress. Does okay for me. You just have to be careful with the dimensions since you're buying online and photos can be deceiving.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
I've been finding it a real pain trying to keep my camera clean and dry in dusty conditions or on wet days, by the beach etc. so I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for what's a good solution? I want something relatively pain free that will keep my camera and lens clean and dry, since I tend to use mint condition, expensive gear and would like to keep it that way if I can. Before anyone suggests it, I'm not getting a new camera and lenses for the sake of weather sealing.

I've seen some plastic rain covers on Amazon, like the clear Op/Tech ones for a fiver, but they look like a huge hassle to use (I could be wrong). There are similar, much more expensive options as well with drawstrings, Velcro etc. but I have no idea if they're actually any better. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this stuff?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I would just use the gear and clean it, gear is meant to be used not sit in a climate controlled room. A drop or 2 of rain should be fine, those covers are ok if it is really raining or something but from my experience (I have a kata cover that I used a few times but it is honestly to much hassle to use and have not used it for years) they are a real pain and I doubt they would really do much to protect against dust.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Does anyone know where I can get some of these triangular split rings? I actually only need one, I lost one that came with a used X100T I bought. I know that Hama made some, but B&H says they are no longer available...

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Have you checked your local camera store? They're relatively common and the store may have some in a box of odd parts. I've seen them on lots of old film cameras and I know for sure that the A7 series uses them too.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

frogbs posted:

Does anyone know where I can get some of these triangular split rings? I actually only need one, I lost one that came with a used X100T I bought. I know that Hama made some, but B&H says they are no longer available...

HPL's suggestion is good, and you might also poke around some local art supply and crafting stores.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

frogbs posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Hama-Split-Rings-Triangular-027902/dp/B00006JCX6
http://www.ebay.com/itm/381179002424

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Wow, that's ridiculously expensive for some small split rings. I would say if all else fails, look for people selling old used film camera straps. You'll potentially get 2 rings and a strap for less than that.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I've moved to San Francisco and am doing a lot of walking. My walk to class is up and down both Russian and Nob Hills. After a couple days of walking, I discovered that if I continue to use my Timbuk2 messenger bag, my spine will collapse into a ruined heap.

I've resorted to stuffing the messenger bag into an old MEI internal frame pack. Not only is this a pain in the rear end, but it makes me look like a hobo.

I'm looking for a backpack that can hold my laptop (a 14" thinkpad), some miscellaneous other stuff (water bottle), a tripod, and (in a pinch) my Olympus 35mm SLR and lenses (tiny) and my Pentax 67 with handle (large).

I'm looking for something with a padded hip belt, if not a full suspension, as I'm going to be doing a lot of walking. I'd prefer something that costs $250 or under.

Currently I'm looking at Tamrac's Anvil packs, Lowepro's packs, and a Paxis pack. If there are any other good integrated packs I should be looking at, I'd love to hear about them. A lifetime warranty is a bonus.

The other option is getting something like an Osprey Anti Gravity backpack (apparently they've got AG daypacks coming out soon) or a Photobackpacker pack and putting a DSLR divider system in it. I tried an AG pack at REI the other day, and it was as comfortable as everyone who reviews them says it was.

Basically I need opinions from anyone who has a backpack they like that holds a laptop and large, heavy cameras.

Also, and semi-related, what're some good straps for holding my Pentax 67 (which weighs about five pounds with lens) comfortably? I just bought strap lugs for it, but I'm not sure the old Optech I found in a box is going to work out.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

atomicthumbs posted:

I've moved to San Francisco and am doing a lot of walking. My walk to class is up and down both Russian and Nob Hills. After a couple days of walking, I discovered that if I continue to use my Timbuk2 messenger bag, my spine will collapse into a ruined heap.

I've resorted to stuffing the messenger bag into an old MEI internal frame pack. Not only is this a pain in the rear end, but it makes me look like a hobo.

I'm looking for a backpack that can hold my laptop (a 14" thinkpad), some miscellaneous other stuff (water bottle), a tripod, and (in a pinch) my Olympus 35mm SLR and lenses (tiny) and my Pentax 67 with handle (large).

I'm looking for something with a padded hip belt, if not a full suspension, as I'm going to be doing a lot of walking. I'd prefer something that costs $250 or under.

Currently I'm looking at Tamrac's Anvil packs, Lowepro's packs, and a Paxis pack. If there are any other good integrated packs I should be looking at, I'd love to hear about them. A lifetime warranty is a bonus.

The other option is getting something like an Osprey Anti Gravity backpack (apparently they've got AG daypacks coming out soon) or a Photobackpacker pack and putting a DSLR divider system in it. I tried an AG pack at REI the other day, and it was as comfortable as everyone who reviews them says it was.

Basically I need opinions from anyone who has a backpack they like that holds a laptop and large, heavy cameras.

Also, and semi-related, what're some good straps for holding my Pentax 67 (which weighs about five pounds with lens) comfortably? I just bought strap lugs for it, but I'm not sure the old Optech I found in a box is going to work out.
You should check out the Gura Gear bags as well (Bataflae model): http://www.guragear.com/bataflae/

I'm using the 32L and just bought a second for my wife because they are awesome for hiking. I put in a 3L water bladder and about 10 pounds of gear and it takes the weight really well.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I really liked my Lowepro Flipside 400 AW for long hikes with my gripped 5DIII, 70-200 2.8, 3 or 4 other lenses, miscellaneous accessories, a bunch of filters, water/snacks, and a big Manfrotto tripod strapped to the back. I think they've expanded the lineup a bit to include a laptop model as well, but I'm not really sure. I can't give a full endorsement since I'm not sure about the laptop compartment, but I was very happy with that bag (and need to get rid of it at some point now that I don't have any of that gear) and would purchase Lowepro again.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

InternetJunky posted:

You should check out the Gura Gear bags as well (Bataflae model): http://www.guragear.com/bataflae/

I'm using the 32L and just bought a second for my wife because they are awesome for hiking. I put in a 3L water bladder and about 10 pounds of gear and it takes the weight really well.

That looks great but it costs $429.99 :stonkhat:

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

atomicthumbs posted:

That looks great but it costs $429.99 :stonkhat:
The 32L fits my 600mm so I'm not sure you need a big bag like that. I'm not sure how much the smaller versions cost but hopefully not that much.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Try the F-Stop bags.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

atomicthumbs posted:

I picked up an older Dakine sequence (http://www.amazon.com/DaKine-Unisex-Sequence-33L-Backpack/dp/B00AL8GUNM) a few years ago for $50 used and it holds all my 4x5 stuff comfortably while walking. I bet you could stuff a laptop in there as long as you got creative with the dividers.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

8th-snype posted:

I picked up an older Dakine sequence (http://www.amazon.com/DaKine-Unisex-Sequence-33L-Backpack/dp/B00AL8GUNM) a few years ago for $50 used and it holds all my 4x5 stuff comfortably while walking. I bet you could stuff a laptop in there as long as you got creative with the dividers.

I have this bag as well and I love it. It can fit my rz67 body + 3 lenses and still have room for a couple backs. Plenty of storage in the front too, I just usually strap my tripod there.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I'm looking for a sling style messenger bag to carry a 13" Macbook Pro, a Fuji X100t and a Slik Sprint Mini II tripod.

A while back in this thread I remember seeing a messenger style bag that had clips/lashes on the bottom to attach the tripod to the outside of the bag. The closest thing i've been able to find is the Incase DSLR Sling Pack, although it's a bit too small for the macbook. I know thye make a larger version, but it looks huge.

Does anyone know of any other bags like this?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Timbuk2 snoop

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
My Crumpler 7M can hold a tripod like that.

Masa
Jun 20, 2003
Generic Newbie
Anyone have recommendations for shoulder bags with a pouch that can fit a large-ish water bottle (3.5x11in)? Right now I have a Crumpler Five Million Dollar Home that can fit my gear just fine (T3i plus two lenses), but I'd like something slightly larger so I have some room for whatever miscellaneous crap I need to carry.

I'm looking at the Tamrac Rally 5, Lowepro Nova 180, and ThinkTank CityWalker 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Masa posted:

Anyone have recommendations for shoulder bags with a pouch that can fit a large-ish water bottle (3.5x11in)? Right now I have a Crumpler Five Million Dollar Home that can fit my gear just fine (T3i plus two lenses), but I'd like something slightly larger so I have some room for whatever miscellaneous crap I need to carry.

I'm looking at the Tamrac Rally 5, Lowepro Nova 180, and ThinkTank CityWalker 10.

Take a look at a Dome F2

• Locked thread