Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Great, now I'm in the mood to go to HEB and buy ice cream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

This thread made me buy strawberry HEB ice cream and oreos today. I am going to mash them up together and maybe post a pic ITT

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

HEB neapolitan swirl, good poo poo.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I'm glad theres at least a central market near my school.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I'm normally wary of monopolistic chains by default but goddamn do I love HEB.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

Xibanya posted:

I'm normally wary of monopolistic chains by default but goddamn do I love HEB.

:agreed:

They treat their employees well and it shows.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
I've found the Kroger's Private Selection ice cream to be really good this summer, especially the Chocolate Cherry Amaretto.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Kroger?

:frogout:

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
gently caress all you guys with normal HEBs around you. In the DFW we only get Central Market, which is great, but expensive as hell.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

dalstrs posted:

gently caress all you guys with normal HEBs around you. In the DFW we only get Central Market, which is great, but expensive as hell.
And even then you have to brave the metroplex's lovely as hell roads or go to loving Southlake.
:smith::hf::smith: fellow DFW goon.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I live in Dallas but work in Waxahachie, so I shop at the HEB there. Yay for commutes?

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
They are adding a bar and something like 16 taps to the HEB by my house.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Malleum posted:

And even then you have to brave the metroplex's lovely as hell roads or go to loving Southlake.
:smith::hf::smith: fellow DFW goon.

I love Central Market and I refuse to shop at Whole Foods because of the Libertarian shitheels that own it so I make the drive to Central Market when I can. The roads in the Metroplex suck primarily because every community is dominated by Tea Party fucktards that refuse to raise taxes or issue bonds for anything; maybe school construction if you're lucky. I expect the roads to get much worse before anything is done. Colleyville finally gave in and started some road expansion and repairs when it just got so bad that they couldn't ignore it. And since I'm on a rant, let me just say, gently caress all of this highway construction that's solely intended to create toll lanes; it sucks that the only way to get from West or Central Metroplex to Allen/Frisco is by using a drat toll road.

In real political news. The State has asked the Texas Supreme Court to dismiss or remand the school finance lawsuit. The State says that the Legislature is the proper forum to resolve the issue which means that fuckall would eve be done about school finance reform. The Texas Racing Commission has closed it's doors so all of the race tracks in Texas had to shut down as well. The Legislative Budget Board has refused to fund the Commission because they are in a pissing match over the Commission allowing something called "historical racing", which makes absolutely no sense to me. Anyway, hope none of you guys planned a trip to the track anytime soon.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

radical meme posted:

The Texas Racing Commission has closed it's doors so all of the race tracks in Texas had to shut down as well. The Legislative Budget Board has refused to fund the Commission because they are in a pissing match over the Commission allowing something called "historical racing", which makes absolutely no sense to me. Anyway, hope none of you guys planned a trip to the track anytime soon.

This is dog and horse racing, don't worry, cars are OK!

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

That didn't take long.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34122204
The police shooting I read about in the SA Express News yesterday made international news today :smith:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Authortiies-reviewing-second-video-of-fatal-BCSO-6480596.php#item-38489
The first video released appeared to show the victim unarmed with his hands raised. CNN (citing an unnamed source) claims a second video shows the victim holding a knife but the authorities won't release it.

edit:
on a more positive note, look at this cute baby

karlor fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 2, 2015

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
From the D&D pics thread;

GirlBones posted:

Another person needlessly shot and killed by pigs.

:nms:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ft_9quXUfU:nms:

Surrendering man gets executed at 0:57

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

saintonan posted:

That didn't take long.

It's only for the next three months, which means they're basically kicking the can a bit further down the road.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

karlor posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34122204
The police shooting I read about in the SA Express News yesterday made international news today :smith:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Authortiies-reviewing-second-video-of-fatal-BCSO-6480596.php#item-38489
The first video released appeared to show the victim unarmed with his hands raised. CNN (citing an unnamed source) claims a second video shows the victim holding a knife but the authorities won't release it.

edit:
on a more positive note, look at this cute baby

Why would the authorities not release a video to make the shooting look justified?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

What I've read is it appears he's holding a knife but they're still not 100% on that and are working to analyze the footage. Although really the dude was still putting his arms up and the fact he may have still had a knife doesn't justify the shooting.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

ReidRansom posted:

What I've read is it appears he's holding a knife but they're still not 100% on that and are working to analyze the footage. Although really the dude was still putting his arms up and the fact he may have still had a knife doesn't justify the shooting.

:20bux: They release the video and it's badly edited with a clip art knife in the guys hand.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

ReidRansom posted:

Dude did seem to be doing some redneck "come at me bro" wide-armed posturing at the very beginning, but yea the hands were definitely up and there was no movement when he got shot. There was also a good measure of distance between him and the officers. I mean knife or not that was pretty hosed.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I guess you guys don't know about the 21 foot rule.

http://youtu.be/9wzAGE4quWU

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

jaegerx posted:

Yea, that's if you're holstered. Cop on the right (who appears to be the one who shot) already had his weapon drawn and pointed at the suspect.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

jaegerx posted:

I'm gonna miss Justified.

via
Dec 14, 2013
Can someone tell me why Texas politics is so awful compared to California's, when the states have similar conditions? Our wealthy class is pretty insufferable and reactionary about anything that could affect home values, but they don't vote to nuke Iran or the poor.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

via posted:

Can someone tell me why Texas politics is so awful compared to California's, when the states have similar conditions? Our wealthy class is pretty insufferable and reactionary about anything that could affect home values, but they don't vote to nuke Iran or the poor.

The two were very similar back during the 80's (and early 90's), home of Reagan, etc. The end of Republican rule in CA happened in ~94, and a lot of the reactionary and more conservative shitheads moved out of the state to Arizona, Texas, and Idaho. You can say they "self-deported" from California, over time becoming some other state's problem. For a long time people talked about all the (now dead or lovely) businesses that moved out of CA as heralding the states doom, but CA has continued to be a major destination of immigrants and the types of businesses that have been built over the last 2 decades don't really jive well with the Republican party, since they rely heavily upon a highly educated populace and high immigration from non-Christian countries (who wouldn't put up with Republican antics).

It also helps that after decades of lovely governments largely on the back of needing a 2/3rd's majority to do anything, eventually Democrats took enough seats to actually govern and solve some of the looming problems that people blamed on liberals, rather than let the obstruction continue indefinitely. The continued insanity of the Republican party and the birth of the tea party pushed a lot of red states in to absolutely insane destructive policies, making California look decently run by comparison.

A decade ago most people would have thought the reverse of your statement, although most of the problems attributed to liberal misrule have been around from back when it was a reddish or purple state (plus the massive federal funding disparity, which Texas shares somewhat in at 70 cents received for every dollar paid to the federal gov).

Today's conditions come down to how America polarized over the last 20 years, with Texas being very red and CA being very blue and the types of people each would attract, and the difference between how different the wealthy/elites of both states are. Then the Tea Party happened.

via
Dec 14, 2013
Interesting points. Also like your reference to the phenomenon of domestic migration changing the political makeup of states in a significant way. It's definitely a thing that has mattered. I could have been a low-paid worker in any state of my choosing, so I just went ahead and chose the coolest one I could think of. And now my city is pursuing a $15 minimum wage, so it appears my move was also the correct one, economically.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pervis posted:

The two were very similar back during the 80's (and early 90's), home of Reagan, etc.

Today's conditions come down to how America polarized over the last 20 years, with Texas being very red and CA being very blue and the types of people each would attract, and the difference between how different the wealthy/elites of both states are. Then the Tea Party happened.

There is truth in all of this. Texas has always been conservative because of the huge influence from it's rural population. But, its particular brand of conservative always had a progressive tinge to it up until the Reagan Revolution. That's really when the FYGM wing of conservatives in Texas really took off. If you look at Texas' past, lots of very conservative, yet Democratic, politicians did some amazing things to champion civil rights and the advancement of education, especially higher education in the state. It was the whole Reagan Revolution and the anti-tax, anti-government shitheels that have dominated Texas politics over the last 35 years. And, let's not forget the ratfucking efforts of Tom Delay; the Dancing With the Stars fucktard that is the father of modern day gerrymandering. He used Texas as a blueprint to show the rest of the red states how to gerrymander their states into Tea Party Hell.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

computer parts posted:

Great, now I'm in the mood to go to HEB and buy ice cream.

Late to the Icre Cream party, but HEB carries Texan Tackle Crackle, which is vanilla and chocolate swirl with Krackle pieces, which if you are not aware, is Hershey's answer to Nestle Crunch (chocolate and puffed rice).

It's goddamn divine.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

radical meme posted:

There is truth in all of this. Texas has always been conservative because of the huge influence from it's rural population. But, its particular brand of conservative always had a progressive tinge to it up until the Reagan Revolution. That's really when the FYGM wing of conservatives in Texas really took off. If you look at Texas' past, lots of very conservative, yet Democratic, politicians did some amazing things to champion civil rights and the advancement of education, especially higher education in the state. It was the whole Reagan Revolution and the anti-tax, anti-government shitheels that have dominated Texas politics over the last 35 years. And, let's not forget the ratfucking efforts of Tom Delay; the Dancing With the Stars fucktard that is the father of modern day gerrymandering. He used Texas as a blueprint to show the rest of the red states how to gerrymander their states into Tea Party Hell.

One more thing that shouldn't be forgotten: The influence of Evangelical Christians in Texas. Texas is the home of an absolute poo poo-ton of very rich (hustler) preachers and their congregations. DFW has several Christian broadcast networks headquartered there (and have offices for the stations that aren't headquartered there). Houston has the biggest mega-Churches in the world. Texas was so crazy-Christian that we had Blue Laws that effectively kept almost all stores closed on Sundays until 1985.

So you've got a lot of churches that are sitting on a ton of tax-free money, with large congregations that will vote however they want to. So they get to push things like abstinence-only education (which is basically a graft program to pay Evangelicals lots of money to provide educational services for a thousand times their actual price).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think you guys are overlooking the biggest difference between the two states, which is the industrial base. High tech and entertainment rich people donate cash to Dems, oil and gas barons donate to the GOP.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Silicon valley, staunchly dem? No, I don't think so.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

I think you guys are overlooking the biggest difference between the two states, which is the industrial base. High tech and entertainment rich people donate cash to Dems, oil and gas barons donate to the GOP.

This dovetails with Texas's incredibly low pay for legislators and short lawmaking calendar to essentially guarantee that corruption is the name of the game. The money from business has definitely been the power player in Texas politics for a long while and right now nobody grovels at their feet and attends to their every whim quite like the Texas GOP.

Hell we had a chemical plant take out half a town and the GOP response was to prevent journalists from seeing the records of where similar explodey chemicals were made or stored.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zoux posted:

There's even a similar bubble with the petroleum engineers here and the programmers over in California. The biggest difference though is the property values here can be/are much much lower.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Silicon valley, staunchly dem? No, I don't think so.

The rank and file, probably don't vote at all, libertarians are frail snowflakes. Their bosses, or VC who give to Dems a lot, probably do vote and reflect data.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice

e_angst posted:

One more thing that shouldn't be forgotten: The influence of Evangelical Christians in Texas. Texas is the home of an absolute poo poo-ton of very rich (hustler) preachers and their congregations. DFW has several Christian broadcast networks headquartered there (and have offices for the stations that aren't headquartered there). Houston has the biggest mega-Churches in the world. Texas was so crazy-Christian that we had Blue Laws that effectively kept almost all stores closed on Sundays until 1985.

So you've got a lot of churches that are sitting on a ton of tax-free money, with large congregations that will vote however they want to. So they get to push things like abstinence-only education (which is basically a graft program to pay Evangelicals lots of money to provide educational services for a thousand times their actual price).

:agreed:

Back in college I did a semester-long study of megachurches for a class on the study of religion (we got to choose which religious tradition to research). As part of my research I attended several services at Cornerstone Church in San Antonio (Pastor John Hagee : Televangelist who uses the volunteer labor of his congregation to sell his books from which he keeps all the profits). One of the sermons I sat through was titled "Vote the Bible", and wouldn't you know it, Jesus would have voted straight party Republican (increase defense spending, cut welfare programs, etc.).

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Crossposting from the criminal justice thread because my state loving blows:

The Texas Mutual Insurance Company has straight-up purchased Travis County prosecutors and uses their indictment power to turn business disputes (and workers' comp claims) into criminal cases.

quote:

Still, in exchange for guaranteed payments from Texas Mutual of more than $400,000 a year, the Travis County district attorney’s office prosecutes alleged “crimes committed against the company,” according to their contract.

Under the terms of the contract, the unit does not pursue complaints that don’t involve fraud against Texas Mutual, nor has the district attorney’s office ever prosecuted Texas Mutual Insurance.

To critics, this unique relationship gives Texas Mutual a hammer it can hold over the heads of the people it insures or hires — one no other insurance company in Texas has. Given the complexity of the workers’ compensation system, a plea deal is often the only way out, they argue.

Betty Blackwell, who represented a Southeast Texas trucking company prosecuted by the Texas Mutual-funded unit, accused the giant insurer of using the criminal justice system to collect debts it couldn’t get in the normal dispute resolution process or in state civil court.

Coming to a courtroom near you!

quote:

Funding deals allowing insurance companies to finance the costs of fraud investigations have blossomed around the nation in recent decades as lawmakers look for ways to help cash-strapped prosecutors pursue complex crimes that ultimately cause premiums to rise for everyone.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

PostNouveau posted:

Crossposting from the criminal justice thread because my state loving blows:

The Texas Mutual Insurance Company has straight-up purchased Travis County prosecutors and uses their indictment power to turn business disputes (and workers' comp claims) into criminal cases.

Coming to a courtroom near you!

This is an insanely massive story, and it just goes to show how hosed up things are in Texas that basically no one knows about it after it broke. The degree to which fellow Texans don't give a poo poo about state news is depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

e_angst posted:

This is an insanely massive story, and it just goes to show how hosed up things are in Texas that basically no one knows about it after it broke. The degree to which fellow Texans don't give a poo poo about state news is depressing.

It just ran in a newspaper I read, so the print embargo may have only now ended on it. It's possible it'll pick up play now that print and TV are allowed to use it.