Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Koizumi looks different. Not, like, crazy different, but he certainly seems to be one of the most obvious signs of the modified art/animation techniques.

Or maybe I'm just nuts.

Also, this ending is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

That was fun. I look forward to being the only sober person in the room once this infamous Endless Eight rolls around.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

That was fun. I look forward to being the only sober person in the room once this infamous Endless Eight rolls around.

Sober is my only option, so I'll be joining you

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I remember comparisons being made to K-on's art style having influenced Haruhi S2, since presumably animators worked on both. That or the speculation being the main team being busy with the movie, since I think the movie still has S1's style.

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm also going in sober to experience it. It'll only be over three hours or so, right? It'll be great.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Also, some people keep bringing up K-On. Is that show actually any good? All I know about it is UGUU and that it's apparently an adaptation of some racy light novel or something.

EDIT: Whoops. Never mind, I was thinking of some show called Kanon apparently.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The only connection Kanon has to Haruhi is that Sugita voices the main character of both, and that KyoAni essentially gave that character Kyon's personality due to that.

K-On is the light music club show that aired right before S2 started airing, hence why I recall a couple of comparison pics comparing the two.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

Also, some people keep bringing up K-On. Is that show actually any good? All I know about it is UGUU and that it's apparently an adaptation of some racy light novel or something.

A cool Kyoani show to go to after Haruhi is lucky star. Lots of the same cast, some of the same crew, and it takes place in 2006 Japan at the height of Haruhi's popularity (and they are very conscious of it)

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 3, 2015

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Zas posted:

A cool Kyoani show to go to after Haruhi is lucky star. Lots of the same cast, some of the same crew, and it takes place in 2007 Japan at the height of Haruhi's popularity.

I still feel strange having watched Haruhi after Lucky Star and probably missing about a hundred jokes.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

AnoHito posted:

I still feel strange having watched Haruhi after Lucky Star and probably missing about a hundred jokes.

my favorite is the scene where yuki is the waitress

Linnaeus fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 3, 2015

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Spiritus Nox posted:

K-ON is good if you enjoy pure cute slice of life stuff like Azumanga Daioh. It's 99% total fluff and 4-koma jokes and then suddenly you've watched thirty-some episodes and grown strangely attatched to the characters and then oh dammit kyoani why are we all crying now, this should be a happy day for them ahhhh! :cry:

I haven't seen Kanon.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I caught up with S1 tonight. This show is really, really good. I'll be caught up with the Simulwatch tomorrow.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Season 2 has one of my favorite moments in the show where they tell a lot in about a full second's animation, not too long after the big dramatic moment a couple of posters have alluded to.

I'll have more to say on it when it happens though. :v:

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Wow I just don't remember that ED song or animation at all. I dunno if that means it's really dull, or the S1 OP/ED are just really memorable.

I remember thinking endless eight was really funny/absurd while it was airing, so I hope it's still good together in a whole block.

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007

Dezinus posted:

I remember thinking endless eight was really funny/absurd while it was airing, so I hope it's still good together in a whole block.

All I remember is the feeling for despair at staying up to the early hours of the morning every week for the livestream and thinking they surely won't air the same episode once again, and the explosion in the livechat as it was confirmed.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hahaha

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kanon has excellent background art but that's about the only thing I liked about it. KyoAni should do another snowy show.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Kanon isn't bad but it's one of KyoAni's weaker shows, though not even their worst Key thing (that'd be Air).

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnRyvumKcug

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Linnaeus posted:

madoka looks cool, but i haven';t gone back to finish it after getting distracted at episode 5

you might try the movies, they're less commitment and move faster into the real strength of the show which is imo the melodrama.

if you're the empathic type, madoka's melodrama is the most wonderful kind of torture.

it's not nearly as clever as haruhi (though you can't knock its hustle,) and that's why I would hesitate straight up recommending it to a haruhi fan. but as mentioned the direction is great, and not just technically - one reason it's so viscerally heartbreaking is the cast and their performances.

it also has a good sense of style, but if you're 5 episodes in you probably have a feel for that by now.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

also thanks I was starting to worry we were gonna have a gifless episode!

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

haruhi for #1 stalinist

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I liked the TV show quite a bit when it aired, but I never thought it was as groundbreaking as people made it out to be. Rebellion though is the 3rd best anime movie this decade.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Zas posted:

you might try the movies, they're less commitment and move faster into the real strength of the show which is imo the melodrama.

if you're the empathic type, madoka's melodrama is the most wonderful kind of torture.

it's not nearly as clever as haruhi (though you can't knock its hustle,) and that's why I would hesitate straight up recommending it to a haruhi fan. but as mentioned the direction is great, and not just technically - one reason it's so viscerally heartbreaking is the cast and their performances.

it also has a good sense of style, but if you're 5 episodes in you probably have a feel for that by now.

yeah its like a lars von trier movie. i would say the last few episodes are derivative of some elements of haruhi but in a good way. and like haruhi (and eva before it) it uses a dialectic of subversion/nonsubversion of its genre tropes as an autocritique

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Zas posted:

Yeah I think I'll just watch the movies

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMxPrf29YG8

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

it's like a glimpse into what could have been (or might still be)

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

informal suggestion: everyone watch haruhi chan during the break

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I've gotta admit I've spent serious time thinking about nagato's wishes while falling asleep once or twice

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Zas posted:

informal suggestion: everyone watch haruhi chan during the break

OK.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I'm busy on 9/11 so I guess this weekend it's time for me to get drunk and watch the same poo poo 8 times in a row.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

oh I didn't see these, gj with the gifs all

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

endless eight owns

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

endless eight owns

how far you in?

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

endless eight owns

ban all dissenters imo

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

i'm watching the third one and after that the fourth

tomorrow the other four

can't imagine watching this over 8 weeks :psyduck:

i wish i had done it when it was airing though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Next Friday is going to be a bit awkward timing-wise if I want to get drunk while watching (and I do). I might instead watch tonight.

• Locked thread