Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So this thing with the Rowan County clerk, she's going before a federal judge 11AM Thursday. I don't know how this sort of thing normally works, is the press going to be able to get video of her being informed of how much poo poo she's in? Or at least a transcript?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Bad Munki posted:

So this thing with the Rowan County clerk, she's going before a federal judge 11AM Thursday. I don't know how this sort of thing normally works, is the press going to be able to get video of her being informed of how much poo poo she's in? Or at least a transcript?

The feds don't let the press do lawtainment broadcasts. I'm sure there will be a transcript made, but not in the same news cycle.

Stabby_McBitchslap
Apr 7, 2008
Cross posting from the credit thread. So in two days I have court for a credit card debt. We got behind in payments for awhile, got a bitchy letter from a lawyer saying they were going to sue us, so I made some payments, got it back on track and thought everything was just fine until I started getting junk mail from lawyers offering to defend me in my upcoming case and/or help me declare bankruptcy (neither of which is something I'm going to do, it's only for about $1900, probably not worth hiring a lawyer for). Awhile later I got a summons for court. The weird thing is that the bank/credit card people are acting like everything is normal and have been accepting my payments. That being the case, I'm seriously tempted to just pay the remainder off tomorrow. If I do this and they process the payment, is there any chance they'll drop the suit?

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

flowinprose posted:

Your posts reminded me of this Abbott & Costello routine: "7 * 13 = 28" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkbQDEXJy2k

THIS IS HOW THEY TAUGHT MATH WHEN WE WEAR KIDS
THANKS TO THE NEW OBAMA MATH OUR KID'S DONT EVEN
KNOW THAT 7 X 13 IS 28
LIKE AND SHARE IF U AGREE

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Stabby_McBitchslap posted:

Cross posting from the credit thread. So in two days I have court for a credit card debt. We got behind in payments for awhile, got a bitchy letter from a lawyer saying they were going to sue us, so I made some payments, got it back on track and thought everything was just fine until I started getting junk mail from lawyers offering to defend me in my upcoming case and/or help me declare bankruptcy (neither of which is something I'm going to do, it's only for about $1900, probably not worth hiring a lawyer for). Awhile later I got a summons for court. The weird thing is that the bank/credit card people are acting like everything is normal and have been accepting my payments. That being the case, I'm seriously tempted to just pay the remainder off tomorrow. If I do this and they process the payment, is there any chance they'll drop the suit?

No, because your debt was most likely sold to collections. You actually may have a really good claim against someone here (depending on the true facts of this case) and it's probably worth contacting a lawyer who does debt defense/FDCPA claims.

I'd seriously not pay another dime because something is hosed up in someone's computer. Remember that humans don't look at any of this poo poo - it's all automated and you've fallen into some Kafkaesque hole - assuming the facts are as presented.

At worst, a lawyer can help advise you better and make sure you don't pay extra money. I'd recommend contacting one.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also in some states and in some cases of you lose on a claim you don't just owe the debt they say you owe but also the costs of the suit and attorney's fees. That depends on a lot and may not be the case in your case.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

joat mon posted:

The feds don't let the press do lawtainment broadcasts. I'm sure there will be a transcript made, but not in the same news cycle.

Booooooo. :mad:

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
This isn't a legal question, but:

gently caress dealing with out of state process servers. Dealing with these jackasses is The Worst.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
What happens if two people agree on the terms of a contract in advance, then when they meet up to sign it the one who brings the actual papers has changed the terms, and the other guy just signs it presuming it to be the earlier agreed upon terms. Can the other guy get out of it by arguing that he was tricked or is he hosed?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Syncopated posted:

What happens if two people agree on the terms of a contract in advance, then when they meet up to sign it the one who brings the actual papers has changed the terms, and the other guy just signs it presuming it to be the earlier agreed upon terms. Can the other guy get out of it by arguing that he was tricked or is he hosed?

Uh, in theory, but guy no 2 has a pretty big mountain to climb explaining why he didn't read what he signed.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Syncopated posted:

most likely hosed.

This is why you read the contract.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Syncopated posted:

A contract will often say something along the lines of "the terms of this contract supersede any previous agreements between us" precisely to prevent situations like that. Read what you're signing.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Thuryl posted:

A contract will often say something along the lines of "the terms of this contract supersede any previous agreements between us" precisely to prevent situations like that. Read what you're signing.

Also clauses against parole evidence so you can't even bring up what you thought you agreed to prior.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
There are exceptions for outright fraud though.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong
Judge found the clerk in contempt, remands her to custody.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

xxEightxx posted:

True american hero.

I'm refering to the judge.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

xxEightxx posted:

Rand Paul predicts states and localities will opt out of the marriage business completely. As an attorney this is the best joke I've heard in a long time.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

xxEightxx posted:

So glad. gently caress her.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

St. John Coltrane posted:

Welp, never mind. Was just served by a crazy man who sounded like he was straight up going to break into my apartment. He also said that I should make sure to show up to court because 'no one's getting evicted now under Obama.'

Whatever happened with this?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

NancyPants posted:

So glad. gently caress her.

It gets better: they brought in the six deputy clerks, the judge told them to get their poo poo together or they can join her, and so five of the six said "Okay, we'll be good." The one that didn't agree to go along is--SURPRISE!--Davis' son. Don't forget, her mother was also Rowan County clerk for some number of years, so that's right, he's a THIRD GENERATION Rowan County clerk. God drat political dynasty, better watch out!

But the judge said "nobody loving cares, everyone else will do your job" so he's not going in the box with momma. :(

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a phrase for cognitive dissonance due to legal opinion?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

baquerd posted:

Is there a phrase for cognitive dissonance due to legal opinion?

"Being poo poo-rear end wrong."

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong
Any ca law goons know if antislapp can be invoked over small claims lawsuits?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

So what happens if a judge refuses to grant your straight marriage a divorce because he's mad about the gays? Are you legally stuck with each other forever? Do you have to ask to get gay divorced? I'm uh asking for a friend.

Tennessee judge denies straight couple divorce, citing gay marriage ruling

quote:

“With the US Supreme Court having defined what must be recognized as a marriage, it would appear that Tennessee’s judiciary must now await the decision of the US Supreme Court as to what is not a marriage, or better stated, when a marriage is no longer a marriage,” Atherton wrote in the order.

“The conclusion reached by this Court is that Tennesseans have been deemed by the US Supreme Court to be incompetent to define and address such keystone/central institutions such as marriage, and, thereby, at minimum, contested divorces,” Atherton wrote.

I didn't think judges could actually decide not to give you a divorce in this country since like the 1950's. Is it true that in some states it's totally up to the judge whether you can leave your spouse?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

VitalSigns posted:

So what happens if a judge refuses to grant your straight marriage a divorce because he's mad about the gays? Are you legally stuck with each other forever? Do you have to ask to get gay divorced? I'm uh asking for a friend.

Tennessee judge denies straight couple divorce, citing gay marriage ruling

I didn't think judges could actually decide not to give you a divorce in this country since like the 1950's. Is it true that in some states it's totally up to the judge whether you can leave your spouse?

Lol, gently caress the south in general. :downsgun:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

VitalSigns posted:

The "Divorce Decree" as my state calls it is a piece of paper, and a public record. You have to take that paper to the various state and federal agencies to get your status changed, blah blah blah, but the only institution of the Court is to determine whether the prerequisites for the granting of the divorce have been met, and then signing the order.

The granting of the Divorce Decree is a judgment by a Court, just like any other ruling, like in a civil or criminal case. In order to qualify, the Court must first have jurisdiction [have you lived long enough in the state], the requisite time period has expired since you filed [most states its 30- 60 days], and the parties must satisfy any other prerequisites to the divorce. One of those 'prerequisites' is a finding of fact by the Court to justify a divorce.

50 years ago, a granting of a divorce required proof of:
- Infidelity, or
- Abuse, or
- Nullity, or
- Abandonment, or
- Other things I don't know.

If you could prove to the Court that one of these things were true, you qualified for the divorce. The judge had no power to sign the divorce without the proof of at least one of those things.

Then they added
- "The marriage has become insupportable because of discord or conflict."

A catch-all that anyone could plead and prove just by saying it on the record, and that the other side couldn't refute. A party still had to prove that the marriage was insupportable to qualify for the divorce, but its basically administrative - its automatic.

After thats proven, and the other requirements are met, the Judge has the power to sign the divorce decree.

So,

VitalSigns posted:

So what happens if a judge refuses to grant your straight marriage a divorce

1. You appeal the denial of the divorce decree. You would go to the Court of appeals, in Tennessee in the sample case, and ask for a "Writ of Mandamus." Mandamus is latin for mandate or some poo poo, but its basically, "Lower Court, we are commanding you to do XXX. XXX in this case is 'sign the divorce decree.'

2. You could make a motion to transfer to a different Court within the district. Most populated counties have several district Courts, each with their own judges. If one is acting like a goober, ask for another.

3. You could make a motion to have the judge recuse himself, or appoint a different, visiting judge to sit in and enter judgment. Same deal.

4. In some places, you can just walk down the hall, and ask another judge to hear the prove up and sign the decree. As long as your divorce decree has a judge's signature on it, basically, its effective. We do this all the time in Texas.

So the answer is once you've met all the prerequisites, there are lots of ways to get it done. As to what you can do about the Judge himself, you can ask the Court of appeals to slap his hand, but the question is do you care more about getting the decree, or proving he's an rear end in a top hat.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 4, 2015

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I hope I don't have to say, "this is all super general, I have no clue about Tennessee law, and this is in no way legal advice on how someone in that situation should proceed, they should absolutely talk to an attorney." but in case I do:

This is all super general, I have no clue about Tennessee law, and this is in no way legal advice on how someone in that situation should proceed, they should absolutely talk to an attorney.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

blarzgh posted:

I hope I don't have to say, "this is all super general, I have no clue about Tennessee law, and this is in no way legal advice on how someone in that situation should proceed, they should absolutely talk to an attorney." but in case I do:

This is all super general, I have no clue about Tennessee law, and this is in no way legal advice on how someone in that situation should proceed, they should absolutely talk to an attorney.

Too late I got divorced in TN already based on your advice. Hope your malpractice insurance is paid up!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So along the lines of divorce, would people be able to win a case against Ashley Madison for their information being leaked? Or did Cheaters R Us have some good ironclad note in the agreement that they take no responsibility for digital security?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

So along the lines of divorce, would people be able to win a case against Ashley Madison for their information being leaked? Or did Cheaters R Us have some good ironclad note in the agreement that they take no responsibility for digital security?

You can't hold someone else responsible for your infidelity.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You can def sue Ashleymad for negligence and it will happen.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I'm surprised we haven't seen ads for class actions yet.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

the milk machine posted:

I'm surprised we haven't seen ads for class actions yet.
I mean, they have a pre-made client list, right? So do they really need to advertise?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Cowslips Warren posted:

Data compliance and security is an exploding legal field. With that said most people I know won't take cases that have gotten headlines because it's too much competition for cases and headaches as everyone starts filing around the country. Nothing to do with divorce however.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
I have a question! It's about a lease on an apartment.

Living in Nova Scotia, Canada. Recently found out my company are moving my out west, spoke to my landlord and asked to go month-to-month but because I was a couple of weeks past the deadline (three months before the lease is renewed to make changes/cancel lease) he said no and that we'd have to sublet.

lovely, but okay, it's within the law. We can only cancel the lease for medical reasons, nothing job related.

We start looking for someone to assign the lease to, because gently caress subletting from across the country, but due to the fact that we're paying about $2-300 above the going rate for a 2-bedroom apartment because of rent increases over the years, nobody wants to take it from us. We've offered incentives, security deposits, first months of rent, but nobody wants somewhere this expensive.

I don't want to be on the hook for this apartment from across the country - is it worth talking to my landlord and trying to make him see reason, offer a payout on the lease or something like that? Or, should we just cut and run?

If we end up having to do the latter anyway because he won't give us a break on anything, is the reasoning going to go in our favour or against it if he tries to pursue legal action? So far he only knows the province we're moving to, and I'll have other references for our new landlord in the new province.

hosed up situation, but any insight would help a lot!

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Is it legal for an employer penalize (i.e. write up, counsel, etc.) employees for discussing their pay in the workplace?

Woof Blitzer fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 6, 2015

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

Too late I got divorced in TN already based on your advice. Hope your malpractice insurance is paid up!

*married to your job joke*

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Teflon Don posted:

Is it legal for an employer penalize (i.e. write up, counsel, etc.) employees for discussing their pay in the workplace?

1. "Is it legal?" as in, can you sue them for doing it?

2. Where?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Cthulhuite posted:

I have a question! It's about a lease on an apartment.

Living in Nova Scotia, Canada. Recently found out my company are moving my out west, spoke to my landlord and asked to go month-to-month but because I was a couple of weeks past the deadline (three months before the lease is renewed to make changes/cancel lease) he said no and that we'd have to sublet.

lovely, but okay, it's within the law. We can only cancel the lease for medical reasons, nothing job related.

We start looking for someone to assign the lease to, because gently caress subletting from across the country, but due to the fact that we're paying about $2-300 above the going rate for a 2-bedroom apartment because of rent increases over the years, nobody wants to take it from us. We've offered incentives, security deposits, first months of rent, but nobody wants somewhere this expensive.

I don't want to be on the hook for this apartment from across the country - is it worth talking to my landlord and trying to make him see reason, offer a payout on the lease or something like that? Or, should we just cut and run?

If we end up having to do the latter anyway because he won't give us a break on anything, is the reasoning going to go in our favour or against it if he tries to pursue legal action? So far he only knows the province we're moving to, and I'll have other references for our new landlord in the new province.

hosed up situation, but any insight would help a lot!

Really, if you don't give notice beyond 90d, it renews for a year? I'd double check to make sure that is legal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

blarzgh posted:

1. "Is it legal?" as in, can you sue them for doing it?

2. Where?

Missouri, and yeah by that I mean is it grounds for litigation. It did not happen to me but management just sent out a mass email about it and I was wondering.