Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

SirPhoebos posted:

Something something PS3 farts.

EDIT: is there a linkshell that all 3 goon guilds on Excal share?

Free companies are capped at 512 members. There are three goon free companies.

Linkshells are capped at 128 members.

What you're asking for cannot exist in the game currently.

Edit: Also, let's be honest, you probably don't actually want to have 1500 goons in a single chat channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Thundarr posted:

If they add s bestiary then you'd probably have to go kill stuff to unlock the bestiary entries. And I would feel compelled to go back and kill one of every goddamn thing there is. So it'd be both the worst and the best thing.

Just one? Kill 5 for the basic ffxiv lore, kill 10 for how it relates to the franchise itself and kill 20 for the staffs view on the critter.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD
Add bestiary entries for FATE monsters :shepface:

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
...and don't forget S ranks.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Olesh posted:

Free companies are capped at 512 members. There are three goon free companies.

Linkshells are capped at 128 members.

What you're asking for cannot exist in the game currently.

Edit: Also, let's be honest, you probably don't actually want to have 1500 goons in a single chat channel.

I wonder how many SA goons are actually in each guild? Since we can invite friends/family. I'd be shocked if we fit into a single LS, but two? Wouldn't surprise me.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I wonder how many SA goons are actually in each guild? Since we can invite friends/family. I'd be shocked if we fit into a single LS, but two? Wouldn't surprise me.

Around 1000 active I believe.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Pierson posted:

Although most gear you'll find in the general world is pretty regular for the fantasy genre yeah there is some stuff like that. Aside from veteran rewards (a literal Firion armourset) there are sets from the old alliance raids; Crystal Tower, Syrcus Tower and World of Darkness, that are based on older FF designs and are generally pretty crazy with the huge cloaks, poofy hats and primary colours. There's also some glamour gear at higher level like the (extremely expensive) Thavnarian sets. No doubt other stuff too people know of that I don't.

If you want to look like a piece of Amano artwork it'll be more difficult and expensive than looking like a generic fantasy knight but you can definitely do it:

Rei_ posted:

The Labyrinth of the Ancients armor is all very amano-derivative, and the weapons that go along with that armor is very much in that style. The tank set is straight up the FF1 Warrior of Light with a circlet that drops in the dungeon and a helmet only attainable from the 2.0 Collectors Edition

Thanks, these are definitely what I'm looking for. It's a long way away but a good target later

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

The vast majority of each FC are goons. There are a loving lot of us playing this game.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Honestly I don't think there's more than 100 sponsorees per fc. Definitely not TPT

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Goon group that is on Savage turn 3 looking for Scholar and Warrior or Paladin.

http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27576&pid=111098#pid111098 please see op for who to message.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
I love that you use wild rose as a password throughout this game even when it makes no sense (every single time except that first time)

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage
Goldsmithing to 20! Now I have to, like, actually harvest materials to level it up further! I guess I'll just finish those story quests level all the other crafting jobs to 20 now!

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

ArtIsResistance posted:

I love that you use wild rose as a password throughout this game even when it makes no sense (every single time except that first time)

The best was in response to the kids asking me why I became an adventurer rather than saying fame, fortune, glory, etc.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Once you hit the 40s on your main combat class, take a trip to the north shroud and unlock the Ixal beat dailies. They will help you grind those classes quite effectively.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Hi all, only read the first several and last few pages (sorry but it's a long thread). I've got a 3-man "guild" considering switching games from WoW to this, two of us were big fans of FF back in the day. We have a weekly nerd night where we like to try and run dungeons slowly to soak up the ambience and with a fair bit of challenge (like 3-manning dungeons designed for 5). Is there a clear level or questing breakpoint I should have us aim for so we can start trying to 3-man group content? Any advice as to what we're in for with this plan before anyone invests in the game? Two of us have initiated our free trials but it looks like grouping is reserved for actual subscribers. Just seeing it as a 1 player game and hearing that final fantasy music again has sucked me in.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 3, 2015

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Glamour endgame is passe, the new endgame is transformation sequence macros.

(all from here)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
-Parties are restricted to 4-mans.
-Outside of maybe the first few dungeons, it's unlikely you'd be able to underman dungeons because of level syncing. You get an option to remove that later on, but I think it's pretty late in.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Square added an undersized party option in 3.0 that you could use. As long as you have a tank, a healer, and a DPS, you could probably do most low level content with just the three of you. Assuming you are all quick learners, you could do that with the first dungeon at level 15. If you guys are good, you probably wouldn't even need a tank until you hit level 30 or 40. The option also removes level sync, so you can go into a low level dungeon with a bunch of high level characters and murder everything at whatever pace you want. The only downside would be not getting exp for putting in extra work.

edit: Is there a requirement to use undersized parties? I thought it was available to everyone. As for it being too hard, I've had plenty of duty roulettes with dead weight pubbies that the rest of the group has had to carry through.

Tenik fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Sep 3, 2015

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
If nothing else, if you guys have a tank, healer and DPS you'll find a second random DPS via the Duty Finder in seconds. You'll have no trouble doing the content, though you wouldn't be under-manning it.

There is also the undersized party option, but I don't actually know offhand if that unlocks as soon as you get Duty Finder access or if you need level 50 in a combat class first. (That said, a lot of the 4-man leveling dungeons are frankly easy enough for three people who can coordinate and know what they're doing, they'd just take a bit longer.)

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

ApplesandOranges posted:

-Parties are restricted to 4-mans.
-Outside of maybe the first few dungeons, it's unlikely you'd be able to underman dungeons because of level syncing. You get an option to remove that later on, but I think it's pretty late in.

poo poo. By restricted to 4-mans, do you mean we can't walk into a dungeon/instance as a party of 3 and attempt it? We're not opposed to taking on a stranger in principle, but in practice in warcraft at least most members of the public are interested in plowing through a dungeon as fast as they can which sucks for us, we want to drink beers and read quest text etc.

e; man this thread moves fast for 1am- the undersized party option sounds like just what we'd be after

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Well as long as one of you is the tank and another is the healer that pubbie DPS can drat well deal with you guys taking it slow and reading things, or they can abandon the party.

E: You'll need 4 to enter the dungeon, you don't need that 4 to continue running and finish it.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Remy Marathe posted:

poo poo. By restricted to 4-mans, do you mean we can't walk into a dungeon/instance as a party of 3 and attempt it? We're not opposed to taking on a stranger in principle, but in practice in warcraft at least most members of the public are interested in plowing through a dungeon as fast as they can which sucks for us, we want to drink beers and read quest text etc.

You can't walk directly into an instance like Warcraft, no. All dungeoning is done via the "Duty Finder" interface, which is like the LFG tool in Warcraft in that it will match you with a party for a given piece of group content (a dungeon, a single-boss-fight Trial, some raids, etc.)

Heavensward added an "undersized group" option, however, which allows you to enter a dungeon without the full compliment of people, and with level-syncing turned off for high level players (so that you can bulldoze content to farm it). Like I said, I'm not entirely sure if that's enabled for everyone right off the bat or if you need a level 50 job before you can enable that. I think it's the former, but I'm not sure.

Also, in general people are usually a lot nicer in XIV than in Warcraft, so if you take a little time to watch cutscenes it'll be fine. The only place this may be a problem is in the conclusion of the original 2.0 storyline, but that's because the design of the cutscenes in those dungeons is frankly disruptive and incredibly slow - they haven't repeated that mistake since.

Mr. Nice! posted:

The vast majority of each FC are goons. There are a loving lot of us playing this game.

In fact I don't think there are even 50 sponsorees total. The huge majority of our players are goons, Please Be Careful and its associated spinoffs are one of the biggest goon-gaming agglomerations in history at this point.

And yeah, between PBC, DGKK and TPT we're at around 1100 people, maybe a bit less depending on how inactives get trimmed. Certainly a lot of them will be back for 3.1!

edit:

Remy Marathe posted:

e; man this thread moves fast for 1am- the undersized party option sounds like just what we'd be after

It's been mentioned before - the game and thread are in that awkward place where there's alllllmost more discussion than one thread can truly contain, but not quite enough traffic to truly justify a new subforum. So yeah, get used to seeing a good hundred posts or more a day in this thread, it moves real fast.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Sep 3, 2015

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Lael makes a good point. Even if there is a requirement to unlocking undersized party stuff, as long as you guys are playing on a server with goons, you could probably find someone to go into the dungeon with you, and then leave as soon as you start. That would result in a three person party with level-sync and exp intact.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Remy Marathe posted:

Hi all, only read the first several and last few pages (sorry but it's a long thread). I've got a 3-man "guild" considering switching games from WoW to this, two of us were big fans of FF back in the day. We have a weekly nerd night where we like to try and run dungeons slowly to soak up the ambience and with a fair bit of challenge (like 3-manning dungeons designed for 5). Is there a clear level or questing breakpoint I should have us aim for so we can start trying to 3-man group content? Any advice as to what we're in for with this plan before anyone invests in the game? Two of us have initiated our free trials but it looks like grouping is reserved for actual subscribers. Just seeing it as a 1 player game and hearing that final fantasy music again has sucked me in.

If you enjoy WoW, this is similar enough that you should easily get your money's worth on a retail purchase. There's not much to lose in trying it for a month and then deciding whether or not to subscribe.

Your first impression is likely to be somewhat negative. The first 30 levels or so are "my first MMO" so they will be boring and easy for MMO veterans. Furthermore, leveling your first class is almost entirely quests ranging from group unfriendly to literally forced solo encounters. It doesn't take too long to level, but just be aware that you won't be able to dive into playing together right away. Higher level content actually gets challenging, and leveling classes after your first can be done entirely in group content, so it'll pay off if you stick with it.

The undersize option is the main way to run with a group of 3, and you can choose to run it with or without sync. I think the "minimum item level sync" option will sync your character level too, but even if I'm mistaken there are ways around it. For example, queue with a premade group and then have the fourth person leave. Just don't expect anything before 50 to be a challenge even with only three people.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Posted without comment.

e: link to thread. Still no comment.

Intoluene fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 3, 2015

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
GONE FOREVER

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
I gave my PLD jobstone a shallow grave, DRK for life.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Just one? Kill 5 for the basic ffxiv lore, kill 10 for how it relates to the franchise itself and kill 20 for the staffs view on the critter.

When you kill enough of a type of enemy, you get to see their hp values next to hp percentage. :v:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

vOv posted:

Glamour endgame is passe, the new endgame is transformation sequence macros.

(all from here)

"Okay, AFK for three minutes, all my cooldowns are on CD."

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Fishious posted:

I gave my PLD jobstone a shallow grave, DRK for life.

I contemplated jumping ship a few times, but I enjoy PLD thematically so much more than the other tanks. I'm hoping we get some love in 3.1.

I also have invested far too much Eso into PLD to give it up now.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

There are roughly 100 sponsored players between all three fc's these players tend to come and go the same times as the people who bring them in so the ratio remains about the same.

We're definitely at a lower activity level at the moment, there was only 30ish people online at 2am last night in pbc :v:

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
As far as I could tell the science-loving, atheistic Garleans are modeled after the USSR. They murdered so many people for daring to believe that "The People" or some surrogate for the supreme earthly power they revere will be judged by God, and those who want power to control people even at the individual level HATE the concept of someone above them, but then a society comprised solely by these people cannot last because there's no real faith, no forgiveness, no redemption, and no truth in the sort of natural materialism those sort of people subscribe to, and so no ultimate meaning beyond the self-deceptions they lose themselves into. If you want proof, look at how long the USSR lasted: and look at where China and Japan, both overwhelmingly secular, are headed into, demographically speaking.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

They're actually modeled after the Gestahlian Empire from Final Fantasy 6 (ファイナルファンタジーVI).

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Vermain posted:

They're actually modeled after the Gestahlian Empire from Final Fantasy 6 (ファイナルファンタジーVI).

He's quoting the OF.

Source your quotes Techno I want to see the thread :argh:

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
On paladins. I love the class, but since I've been leveling warrior, I love that even more now. Sooo much more fun. Also...my static has 2 paladins soooo...both enough reasons to say goodbye to the class for now.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I now own the house next to the Doom House. Better than some lovely 4man guild owning it.

One step closer to us taking over the Goblet 1st ward.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Zeratanis posted:

On paladins. I love the class, but since I've been leveling warrior, I love that even more now. Sooo much more fun. Also...my static has 2 paladins soooo...both enough reasons to say goodbye to the class for now.

Put on full strength accessories and run into PVP with your warrior and laugh while you fell cleave people and holmgang bitches that are trying to run away.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Intoluene posted:

Posted without comment.

e: link to thread. Still no comment.

It's almost as if this dip poo poo has never followed WoW world first raiding. The same stuff happens. You class stack for the first kills then as gear gets better overall you can bring in the less optimal classes. I think however it will last a bit longer here because it's a tad harder to gear up in FF versus WoW. Either way non world first raiding paladins will get their kill as a paladin eventually once average gear levels catch up.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I'm fresh new to the fame, but wasn't world first for ??Alex 3 Savage?? just full group of paladins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

kalstrams posted:

I'm fresh new to the fame, but wasn't world first for ??Alex 3 Savage?? just full group of paladins?

:getout:

• Locked thread