Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Any straight up discounts on mario maker? I'm drunk, i'm about to play a solid round of drinking with splatoon, and its pretty goddamn clear that mario maker is gonna be the fuckin tits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

WTF is up with classic Link's jump animation?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Narcissus1916 posted:

Any straight up discounts on mario maker? I'm drunk, i'm about to play a solid round of drinking with splatoon, and its pretty goddamn clear that mario maker is gonna be the fuckin tits.

$10 off for amazon prime members

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Splatoon LAN makes you connect to the internet for authentication or some bullshit but I think the actual connection is local. I am probably wrong.

I hate to dig up stuff from 5 pages ago but hang on,

Splatoon has a LAN mode?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Don't think Splatoon has a LAN mode.

E: There's some dumb wording about private matches that made people think it had a LAN mode. Also people talking about the LAN adaptor for WiiU like it means Splatoon has LAN.

VVV gently caress me I stand corrected.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Sep 3, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Fedule posted:

I hate to dig up stuff from 5 pages ago but hang on,

Splatoon has a LAN mode?

It's not explicitly labeled as such but the big August update added the option to run local tournament with up to 8 networked consoles.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It's not explicitly labeled as such but the big August update added the option to run local tournament with up to 8 networked consoles.

Now I'm getting confused because this sounds like their Private Battle mode, which is up to 8 players and is just online and not at all a LAN mode.

Right, found an article explaining it http://www.ene.com.pe/noticias/p5fmir-s1/
So yeah you can use LAN where all 8 consoles are connected locally but use one internet connection for the network. It's not exactly LAN but really what LAN event has absolutely no internet connection.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Sep 3, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Golden Goat posted:

Now I'm getting confused because this sounds like their Private Battle mode, which is up to 8 players and is just online and not at all a LAN mode.

It is, but I was told that when you do Private Battle with several consoles on the one access point it uses the local network for the match even though it requires an internet connection for stat tracking or some drat thing. Again, could be bullshit, I've never even tried it.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Nifty. How do you actually set this up? Just put all the consoles on a local network and have someone start a lobby?

Why hasn't this gotten any publicity at all?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Fedule posted:

Why hasn't this gotten any publicity at all?
I think some people would start freaking out saying "IT"S NOT REAL LAN!" because it requires an internet connection.

It sounds like you can just simply connect them all up to one network and it behaves as your doing it normally through the internet.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
All of those costumes and they forgot Captain Toad? I was expecting them too, but poo poo, all the Wario people are in.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Bean posted:

All of those costumes and they forgot Captain Toad? I was expecting them too, but poo poo, all the Wario people are in.

Captain Toad can't jump, so he politely declined being a costume. :v:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Golden Goat posted:

I think some people would start freaking out saying "IT"S NOT REAL LAN!" because it requires an internet connection.

It sounds like you can just simply connect them all up to one network and it behaves as your doing it normally through the internet.

You need an internet connection to even enter the lobby of the battle tower, too (or to use the shops or Spyke's services, also).

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

You need an internet connection to even enter the lobby of the battle tower, too (or to use the shops or Spyke's services, also).

I'm kinda not surprised by this. Fact stands though you can get a LAN game going off one connection for up to 8 WiiU's but since the games build around always being online for multiplayer they didn't want to outright call this a LAN mode.

It's a decent way of handling it.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

I wish these guys would shut the hell up!!!

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Golden Goat posted:

I'm kinda not surprised by this. Fact stands though you can get a LAN game going off one connection for up to 8 WiiU's but since the games build around always being online for multiplayer they didn't want to outright call this a LAN mode.

It's a decent way of handling it.

Man I am amazed this exists in 2015. Too cool

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The major issue with using the WiiU controller for PC is that most games don't let you remap controls and the buttons end up weird. I bought Pinnacle Game Profiler and have it set to swap the x/y and a/b buttons for some games (Dark Souls, Castle Crashers, Grindea) and it helps. It's not free, but I found a slick deals code to get it to 9 bucks.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Apparently there was the idea of a Warrior Peach for that Skylanders game that Nintendo shot down. I would've bought a Warrior Peach amiibo, Nintendo :(

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Echophonic posted:

The major issue with using the WiiU controller for PC is that most games don't let you remap controls and the buttons end up weird. I bought Pinnacle Game Profiler and have it set to swap the x/y and a/b buttons for some games (Dark Souls, Castle Crashers, Grindea) and it helps. It's not free, but I found a slick deals code to get it to 9 bucks.

There was a firmware update in February of this year and you can now switch back and forth between standard letter-to-letter mapping and A<->B, X<->Y mapping.

Just go to the website and follow the instructions to update to the 2/10/15 firmware. After that you can hold Start and B for 3 seconds to switch to standard physical mapping (A<->B; X<->Y)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

The Reggies don't stop.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I love Nintendo.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

God dammit Reggie.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Macaluso posted:

Apparently there was the idea of a Warrior Peach for that Skylanders game that Nintendo shot down. I would've bought a Warrior Peach amiibo, Nintendo :(

Also Kirby and Star Fox were brought up but shot down.

Then there's this part of the article:

quote:

One particular challenge with Donkey Kong was adjusting his colors for the Dark Edition of the game. Historically only DK’s tie has changed color in Nintendo Games as an unwritten rule. Such a subtle change wouldn’t suffice for a SuperCharger character.

To solve this challenge, the character design team came up with a Donkey Kong racing jacket that was easy to flip colors to a darker palette. They also went a step further and darkened DK’s fur, a risky idea that paid off when Nintendo surprisingly gave it a thumbs up.

Donkey Kong and Bowser have upgrade paths the same as any other Skylanders SuperChargers character. VV initially pitched a conservative move set for the Nintendo guest stars fearing Nintendo wouldn’t want berserk moves coming from their beloved characters. Rather than simply go along with VV’s cautious approach, Nintendo countered and asked VV to push the envelope and get creative, the fruits of which you’ll see firsthand starting on September 20.

You can tell they were scared shitless of something happening that would sour the whole deal, which isn't all that shocking considering VV were the same team that almost a decade ago got into some hot water for attempting to add Samus and Link to Marvel Ultimate Alliance without getting everything cleared with Nintendo first? Or because it was running on the PS2 version of the game? Or maybe both? The exact reason's pretty murky and it's likely we'll never know for sure.

Seeing things like CHOZO BLOOD RIGHTS getting the thumbs down and you can see why this time they wanted to start off with such a conservative set of moves at first.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Ugh that would've been so cool. I want nothing more than a warrior Peach amiibo now

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

majormonotone posted:

Ugh that would've been so cool. I want nothing more than a warrior Peach amiibo now

you can always customize a normal peach amiibo

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Kelp Plankton posted:

How does the Wii U handle multiple accounts?

If I buy content on my account on someone else's Wii U can I transfer that account to my own Wii U later on without affecting other accounts on the system?

Do games like Mario Kart, Smash Brosm and Splatoon have system-wide save files or will we need to be on the correct profile to use things we've unlocked? Do I need to be signed into the profile that owns DLC to use DLC?

Does it separate online matchmaking ranking stuff by profile or is it all lumped together?

You can only have your account on one system at a time. There's no logging in on a friend's Wii U.

Save files all per account, but DLC gets shared. My roommates and I can all play as Ryu in Smash 4 despite me being the one who bought it on my account.

Everything else is tied to the account as well.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

More game companies need to get in on this "having fun with video games" thing Nintendo does

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Augus posted:

More game companies need to get in on this "having fun with video games" thing Nintendo does

It's called Rocket League

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
http://www.thehdroom.com/gaming/skylanders-superchargers-amiibo-a-brief-history-and-other-nintendo-characters-considered-92454/

I don't give a gently caress what Reggie thinks, DK is not a villain.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Video games aren't fun they are a serious artistic medium for grown ups with deep storylines like watch_dogs

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

greatn posted:

Video games aren't fun they are a serious artistic medium for grown ups with deep storylines like watch_dogs

Imagine if the WiiU version of Watch Dogs had Bowser instead of the main guy

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Macaluso posted:

Don't you mean Browser? Internet.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

he was literally one of the first villains in gaming history

well, technically it was cranky, but DK sort of inherited his legacy in those Mini Mario spinoffs

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
DK is a villain he hosed my bitch

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Bowser is probably a better person. or lizard thing, whatever.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I bought a used copy of Nintendoland in preparation for my housewarming party and ended up playing with my wife until 2 am instead of preparing boxes for the move. Help.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

I don't give a gently caress what Reggie thinks, DK is not a villain.

Jarogue fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Sep 4, 2015

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Gunman Clive for 4 bucks is pretty rad.

Looks gorgeous in HD, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The resemblance is uncanny

• Locked thread