Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Open your map, click down on the D-Pad to toggle the cursor to Supply Drop. It'll resupply your ammo, surpressors and Fulton bags. Just drop it where you are, or near where you're running to.

Is there a way to resupply your stuff without calling one in? Like, I was on Mother Base a didn't really see any way to so I had to call for a supply drop. Just wondering if there's a cheaper way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

Is there a way to resupply your stuff without calling one in? Like, I was on Mother Base a didn't really see any way to so I had to call for a supply drop. Just wondering if there's a cheaper way to do it.

You can find some stuff in the field but for supressors or fultons nope you gotta call it in.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

You can find some stuff in the field but for supressors or fultons nope you gotta call it in.

You can find suppressors in the field. They are pretty rare though, and I really wish you could carry several of them at once.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Something else I like about MGSV, that's a lot less silly than the rest of this: oh my god, it is a really good PC port.

Japanese companies especially aren't that great at PC ports, which is understandable, but it's quite a shame. You especially have to worry when they're very new to it, where you get issues like Dark Souls' port. But the game's so smooth and functional on the PC, it all works so well, with the M+KB controls being strikingly well-done. I haven't played a Metal Gear since MGS2, but I'd say the M+KB control scheme is so good I wouldn't want to actually use a controller.

The only real issue on that front is that the on-screen button prompts are a little weird in Phantom Pain, where they forgot to put in non-controller prompts for some things, but other than that it's solid.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
One of my many, many favourite things about MGSV is you can give your dog his own Sneaking Suit. What makes it amazing is the dog's sneaking suit comes equipped with a knife, which on-command your dog buddy will pull out with his teeth, jump on a man's chest and slit his throat silently.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
I called in a supply drop on top of myself the first time,. Knocked me off my horse, which was funny, but even funnier- it knocked my horse the gently caress out! After a second, the horse came to, angrily whinnied and the kept horsin' on.

GAME OF THE CENTURY

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In The Witcher 3 when you are helping the Bloody Baron showing a miscarried fetus crawling out of the ground toward you is a fantastic way to end other peoples conversation and allow the room to really embrace the story-telling

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

thetechnoloser posted:

I called in a supply drop on top of myself the first time,. Knocked me off my horse, which was funny, but even funnier- it knocked my horse the gently caress out! After a second, the horse came to, angrily whinnied and the kept horsin' on.

GAME OF THE CENTURY

I called in a supply drop on my location, then went back to the iDroid to futz around with other Mother Base stuff. Eventually I was kicked out of the iDroid because the supply drop landed right on my head.

I'm not very smart

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

oldpainless posted:

In The Witcher 3 when you are helping the Bloody Baron showing a miscarried fetus crawling out of the ground toward you is a fantastic way to end other peoples conversation and allow the room to really embrace the story-telling

This is why I think mgsv has some serious loving competition for goty because the writing in the Witcher really was outstanding

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Kaubocks posted:

I called in a supply drop on my location, then went back to the iDroid to futz around with other Mother Base stuff. Eventually I was kicked out of the iDroid because the supply drop landed right on my head.

I'm not very smart

You can use this technique against enemies, too. If they aren't moving, just mark them with your scope and call a supply drop on their location. I used this to get an S rank on Mission 11.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain really is a combination of hundreds of little things that come together and make an amazing experience. Here's one: You can research a speaker for your iDroid mini computer, and you can also find a recording of a Soviet soldier saying "Enemy eliminated." If you are spotted, you can hide, turn on the speaker and play that clip, and nearby soldiers will think that you've been killed and call off the search. I need to mess around with it more, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I know you can find a recording of Johnny (or nega-Johnny, whatever) of him having a horrible poo poo.

You can also hide in porta-potties around the world.

Combine this with the speaker on your iDroid and everyone stays the gently caress away from your porta-pottie forever.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Holy poo poo. Pun unintended.

I'm really liking the AI and how it sends reinforcements to outposts, and sends in search parties to look for you when you gently caress up, but keeps sentries in places that make sense.

Also the Fulton. Problem is, now I have a big army of lovely kidnapped Russian soldiers. Is there any way to dismiss them, or increase their skill rankings?

ScreamingNinja
Oct 2, 2004
An Awesome Dude

Calaveron posted:

This is why I think mgsv has some serious loving competition for goty because the writing in the Witcher really was outstanding

Counter point. Theres a character named dudu and anytime he's mentioned it makes me laugh at serious moments.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

ScreamingNinja posted:

Counter point. Theres a character named dudu and anytime he's mentioned it makes me laugh at serious moments.

And Dandelion's voice actor still sounds super weird.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

Kaubocks posted:

I'm not very smart

I did that the very first time Ocelot tells you how to call in supply drops, just to see if you can drop it on your own head.

Just as it knocks your rear end out, Ocelot mentions, "Oh, I forgot to say, careful not to drop it on your own head."

Kaubocks posted:

Is there a way to resupply your stuff without calling one in? Like, I was on Mother Base a didn't really see any way to so I had to call for a supply drop.

Did you waste all your tranq ammo messing with Ocelot? I recommend it!

Thinky Whale has a new favorite as of 23:00 on Sep 2, 2015

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Mad Max does a really good job of smashing your car into things feel really great, and its especially satisfying to explode through a scarecrow totem with your boost on full blast.

I also appreciate how actually useful the boost is in enabling your car to drive up steep hills.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I found an old Final Fantasy Anthology for PS1 in the local game shop and decided to play through it. I started playing Final Fantasy V (the one with Bartz) and right at the beginning Bartz meets a princess and some old man. They're on their way to The Wind Shrine to see why the wind has stopped and invite Bartz to come along with them and he replies "nah I'm all right thanks" and leaves. Later when Bartz decides to go with them he says it's because the wind told him to and the old guy responds "liar, you clearly just have the hots for the girl". I thought they were both nice little pokes at typical fantasy set ups.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

EmmyOk posted:

I found an old Final Fantasy Anthology for PS1 in the local game shop and decided to play through it. I started playing Final Fantasy V (the one with Bartz) and right at the beginning Bartz meets a princess and some old man. They're on their way to The Wind Shrine to see why the wind has stopped and invite Bartz to come along with them and he replies "nah I'm all right thanks" and leaves. Later when Bartz decides to go with them he says it's because the wind told him to and the old guy responds "liar, you clearly just have the hots for the girl". I thought they were both nice little pokes at typical fantasy set ups.

poo poo you just missed a charity event challenge run.

FFV tends to be pretty good at the character banter, yeah, especially compared to stuff like 6 where in the cast of 22 no one who's not blood related or Locke/Celes get more than like 5 lines together. Look into the GBA translation when you're done :allears:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Does Hideo Kojima *really like* David Bowie or is there something deeper going on here

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

princecoo posted:

Also the Fulton. Problem is, now I have a big army of lovely kidnapped Russian soldiers. Is there any way to dismiss them, or increase their skill rankings?

Yes to both. You can open up the Staff Management tab in the Mother Base part of the iDroid and dismiss units by using the reassign function. I did that to all the soldiers with the Troublemaker skill. As far as improving skills, I don't know all the nitty-gritty details, but I think if you assign them to your combat unit and send them on missions their stats will slowly increase. I've seen some soldier earn medals, and sometimes I go back to base management and see that there's a yellow part of their skill bars which I assume represents the increase earned since joining you. It's usually easier to fire the scrub units once you get full, and it doesn't take long before you're looking for C-ranks and higher exclusively. Be sure to use the auto-assign function from time to time, especially after new struts are developed.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Does Hideo Kojima *really like* David Bowie or is there something deeper going on here

P. sure Kojima just really likes David Bowie.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

LawfulWaffle posted:

Be sure to use the auto-assign function from time to time, especially after new struts are developed.

how do I auto-assign people because idgaf about micro-managing

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kaubocks posted:

how do I auto-assign people because idgaf about micro-managing

Just go to the list of people on your base, the button to auto assign everyone for your control scheme is listed in the bottom right.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007
Alright, thread. You've done it. Do I need to know ANYTHING about Metal Gear to play Phantom Pain or am I about to watch a bunch of Let's Plays?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The relevant games are 3 and Peace Walker, if you know literally nothing about the series then that's all you really need to understand MGS 5 specifically.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

And Ground Zeroes!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, I only did the first mission and then the training on Mother Base and I can already tell I'm going to love MGSV.

I forgot how wonderful the Fulton was. That scream as a dude just flies off into the air makes me laugh every single time.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

And Ground Zeroes!

All the relevant stuff from GZ is summarized in the first chapter.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

McDragon posted:

Yeah, I only did the first mission and then the training on Mother Base and I can already tell I'm going to love MGSV.

I forgot how wonderful the Fulton was. That scream as a dude just flies off into the air makes me laugh every single time.

It's even better when rescuing someone because they usually laugh like a loon the whole way up. Dudes are just having the time of their lives.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I was going to put in my two cents on coming to Phantom Pain without having played previous Metal Gears, but then I booted up my game to check and WHAT THE gently caress HOW AM I ONLY THREE PERCENT IN!? I mean sure, I've been taking it slowly, but three percent?

Apparently my favorite little thing about Phantom Pain is 'the entirety of my experience thus far' judging by how much of the game that is.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I was going to put in my two cents on coming to Phantom Pain without having played previous Metal Gears, but then I booted up my game to check and WHAT THE gently caress HOW AM I ONLY THREE PERCENT IN!? I mean sure, I've been taking it slowly, but three percent?

Apparently my favorite little thing about Phantom Pain is 'the entirety of my experience thus far' judging by how much of the game that is.

Do YOU feel like you're missing anything from not knowing anything about previous games? I'm a big stickler for continuity so if I have to play only one previous game, I'm gonna have to be all OCD about it and watch Let's Plays of ALL the games.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Arx Monolith posted:

Do YOU feel like you're missing anything from not knowing anything about previous games? I'm a big stickler for continuity so if I have to play only one previous game, I'm gonna have to be all OCD about it and watch Let's Plays of ALL the games.

The game routinely summarizes past events and there are a lot of Lore Tapes but if you know nothing about the series going in the whole experience is going to ring rather hollow since you're missing the emotional core to the main theme of the game (revenge).

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Just go to the list of people on your base, the button to auto assign everyone for your control scheme is listed in the bottom right.

go figure that I would see every option except for that one. thanks!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Arx Monolith posted:

I've played MGS2 and watched LPs of the rest, but I feel like so far MGSV hasn't been massively reliant on that knowledge. It's a direct sequel to Peace Walker, which was a direct sequel to MGS3, but honestly the only important thing about the story that the various lore tapes don't really summarize is Ocelot. And he's a major recurring character, you don't really need it since you're probably already familiar with him on some level.

Even at its most obtuse, Metal Gear isn't as hard to break into as it feels, I think. I played MGS2, probably the worst jumping-on point for the franchise, without knowing much of anything about the series aside from the existence of a few characters (not all of which were in MGS2), and despite that I could actually follow the plot just fine. You might need to be a little more attentive with names and events to get into the loop, but you should be fine. If nothing else, the fact that it's set during actual history should help you along, it certainly makes things a lot easier to follow if you're not solid on Metal Gear lore.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Metal Gear is a series about cloned super-soldiers who sneak around in cardboard boxes to stop mechs capable of launching nukes. Also nanomachines are involved somehow. It's not that hard.

All this little details you guys have mentioned are really making me want to get this game. I just bought Mad Max and usually I have a "don't buy another new release until you beat this one" rule but I may have to break it for this one.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
All the MGS games have countless "little things" and whenever they come up they take over this thread for pages at a time even when they aren't brand new.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kaubocks posted:

go figure that I would see every option except for that one. thanks!

It's easy to miss, it kinda blends into the background of the iDroid. I missed it too for a good while.

Arx Monolith posted:

Chronologically 3, Peace Walker, and MGS 5 all take place before the events of even the original games on the NES, let alone the first Solid game; therefore, they are basically never referred to at all because they haven't happened yet.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 17:22 on Sep 3, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
My favourite perverse little pleasure is you can punch your guys in Mother Base and they just salute with a "THANK YOU, SIR! :patriot:"

McDragon posted:

Try using a Fulton balloon on a Sheep. Then try very very hard not to laugh.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Arx Monolith posted:

I've played almost all the other Metal Gear games, and I'll tell you this: You can enjoy The Phantom Pain without any previous experience. The relevant lore is metted out through cutscenes, tapes, and conversations your soldiers have on Mother Base. The gameplay is amazing and you'll have a good time, but you need to know that these games are all part of one creator's vision and more than any other series I can think of they fit together to form a continuous narrative. If you've played the previous games you're coming in with additional knowledge that might be referenced, even if it's not important. You know the fates of some characters, you know where they came from, and you how everything comes together. It's an incredibly rewarding series to get involved in, but I cannot endorse passing over this game because you are afraid you won't "get it."

For a really terrible comparison, it'd be like reading The Hobbit but not The Lord of the Rings. It's good on it's own, but there's another layer of enjoyment to be found in knowing more about the characters and events that's not directly relevant to the story at hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Hobbit came first though.