Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The Huawei Watch (which I will now call Huatch from now on because gently caress that name) is now on Canadian Google Play for $558 after tax... Yowza. And only steel colour with the mesh band, which is OK but not my top choice.

For comparison, I paid around $400 each to import the GWR and Urbane on day one for Korea, well before even US launch, from Seoul.

About the same to import a 360 from Murica six months before it came out here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I like the idea of the easily-swappable bands on the new 360, but it seems like the little nub might rub on your wrist. I would be surprised if it did, since I'd think that would be a very obvious thing, especially if they did any wear testing at all, but I'll reserve judgement until someone here gets one.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Any word on the sport model pricing?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

hooah posted:

I like the idea of the easily-swappable bands on the new 360, but it seems like the little nub might rub on your wrist. I would be surprised if it did, since I'd think that would be a very obvious thing, especially if they did any wear testing at all, but I'll reserve judgement until someone here gets one.

That easy release nub is becoming a pretty common thing these days, I wouldn't worry. Just noticed the Huawatch has it too (00:45 in the video below)... I'm going to end up buying this stupid thing if someone doesn't leak some LG news soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9WtF201CWY

edit: after investigating more it looks like LG isn't going to release any new watches at IFA. Forgot how late it was in Berlin already.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 3, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I didn't realize until I took a look that Moto Maker allows you to make the new 360 a bit more customized. There are 3 colors, for the metal of the watch (sliver, black, and gold) but you get to choose the bezel and the case separately. On top of that, you can chose for the bezel to be knurled if you choose.

So you can mix and match all of them. Personally, I think black bezel and silver body looks pretty sharp. Haven't decided yet on the knurling, but that would be good to hide scratches on the bezel.

I think the added customization is tipping the scales for me to replace my 360 with the newer model.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Has your current 360 picked up any scratches? I'm kind of amazed that mine hasn't yet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

dissss posted:

Has your current 360 picked up any scratches? I'm kind of amazed that mine hasn't yet.

I do have a very light one on the actual face because I was a dumbass and didn't take off my watch before I started screwing around inside a server rack. There's also a very light one on the bezel from (i assume) the same encounter.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So basically the 42mm vs 46mm translates into 100mAh more in the 46mm (which is the size of the gen1 360)? Not sure if that's worth an extra $50, especially if the new processor gets you through a full ~18 hr day on a single charge. Also the 42 may look less...nerdy? The gen1 always looked huge to me.

The design options are a bit paralyzing making it real hard to settle on a look. Silver metal band/case with a black front looks decent. But so do several other combos. gently caress gold though. Gaudy, IMO.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Gen 1 looks small on my wrist.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I did it. I designed the worst possible look. Aside from the obvious, the knurl (lol) pattern looks....weird. Just doesn't fit the rest of the design, IMO. Maybe a black face. Maybe.

:barf:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

bull3964 posted:

Gen 1 looks small on my wrist.

I'm a bit worried a Huatch will look small on mine considering it's smaller than the other big names.

Am I the only Huatch fan? Huat do huo think

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

So all you Wear experts: Is the 360/2 $250 better than the 360?

I'm having a really hard time convincing myself it is.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

So all you Wear experts: Is the 360/2 $250 better than the 360?
We don't know because the critical things that are wrong with the OG are software/usage issues: performance and battery life. I can only imagine that the performance issues are entirely fixed since it's using the S400, and this should also resolve the battery issues. I mean, it looks basically the same so there just isn't really much else to compare them on. I guess the button is in a better place but I'm not sure that I'd pay anything for that. Maybe the screen is better on the new one but the screen on the original is just fine. What else is there?

I own a 360 and unless there is some unexpected disaster in the reviews or the UK pricing ends up being stupid I'm upgrading to the new one. For me the performance/battery issues make it worth getting the new one, as long as those are properly resolved. But I bought it to mess around with some dev stuff and always knew that it had its flaws and that I'd most likely want to replace it after a year so I'm not a typical user.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Sep 3, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

We don't know because the critical things that are wrong with the OG are software/usage issues: performance and battery life. I can only imagine that the performance issues are entirely fixed since it's using the S400, and this should also resolve the battery issues. I mean, it looks basically the same so there just isn't really much else to compare them on. I guess the button is in a better place but I'm not sure that I'd pay anything for that. Maybe the screen is better on the new one but the screen on the original is just fine. What else is there?

I own a 360 and unless there is some unexpected disaster in the reviews or the UK pricing ends up being stupid I'm upgrading to the new one. For me the performance/battery issues make it worth getting the new one, as long as those are properly resolved. But I bought it to mess around with some dev stuff and always knew that it had its flaws and that I'd most likely want to replace it after a year so I'm not a typical user.

Yeah but I trust you so I'll get the new one.

e: Or maybe I will. I tried to order from the Motomaker site and at first it said there was a problem with the card (there wasn't) and then it said some items in my cart were no longer available. I'll try later on I guess, since the version I want isn't in the Google store.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Sep 3, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

The only thing that would get me to upgrade to the 3602 is better fitness stuff (or a moment of weakness for new gadgetry). I'm not sure if this is a Wear issue or a hardware issue.

I also doubt any reviews will go into enough detail to actually track step counts or heart rate for long enough to actually get a good idea of accuracy...

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

The only thing that would get me to upgrade to the 3602 is better fitness stuff (or a moment of weakness for new gadgetry). I'm not sure if this is a Wear issue or a hardware issue.

I also doubt any reviews will go into enough detail to actually track step counts or heart rate for long enough to actually get a good idea of accuracy...

The sport is highly attractive to me, wish they would put a price out.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

hotsauce posted:

I did it. I designed the worst possible look. Aside from the obvious, the knurl (lol) pattern looks....weird. Just doesn't fit the rest of the design, IMO. Maybe a black face. Maybe.

:barf:

Not much worse than the poo poo I see people wear IRL all the time.

Is the mk2 actually thinner or is that just the photo angle?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

God drat it.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Three Olives posted:

God drat it.

Did you attach the rabbit ears correctly? Maybe wrap them in tin foil and try channel 13?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

hotsauce posted:

Did you attach the rabbit ears correctly? Maybe wrap them in tin foil and try channel 13?

Probably doesn't have it on channel 3.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

mobby_6kl posted:

Is the mk2 actually thinner or is that just the photo angle?

It's .1mm thinner. So, yes it is thinner but probably not something you could spot easily in photos.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Not much worse than the poo poo I see people wear IRL all the time.
Lots of people wear really ugly watches, so that's not really a high bar.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For all your goony needs, you can print out a cardboard watch and try it on:
http://www.motorola.com/sites/default/files/library/storage/products/moto-360/desktop/us/Moto360_2ndGen_SizeComparion_FitGuide_US.pdf

Except that the 42mm men's watch cutout (second page) is clearly too big.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 3, 2015

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

Three Olives posted:

God drat it.

Just in time for the new models!

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes
Some of the controls make no God damned sense. (Old Moto360 here.)

Long press the watch face, the screen that's active most of the time, to change watch faces? I don't need access to other watch faces on demand. I especially don't need access to them on accident.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

blinking beacon nose posted:

Long press the watch face, the screen that's active most of the time, to change watch faces? I don't need access to other watch faces on demand. I especially don't need access to them on accident.
This is the worst thing on Wear. I have no clue why it is so accessible and I constantly trigger it by accident.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Yeah I've become used to accidentally choosing new watch faces when I tuck in my shirt in the back.

Three Olives posted:

God drat it.

Wanna buy an Urbane? :P

And jesus christ what did you do

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Reverse Centaur posted:

And jesus christ what did you do

Nothing, it was fine when I put it on the charger last night and like this in the morning.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

My boss has a G Watch R and also had to send it in for warranty repair. Something about thermal expansion during charging affecting the display connector. His didn't go to snow though, it blipped in and out.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Three Olives posted:

Nothing, it was fine when I put it on the charger last night and like this in the morning.

Can you power cycle it?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

Can you power cycle it?

Yep, same thing. Once it showed the starting up android animation but it stuttered at took for ever and then when back to static.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

This guy somehow got his hands on two Huatches a while ago and does a good review. I am fully onboard the Huawei train, gently caress money

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d29_yXZQIU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

This guy somehow got his hands on two Huatches a while ago and does a good review. I am fully onboard the Huawei train, gently caress money

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d29_yXZQIU

That looks really nice. Silly concern...is getting a Huawei over a 360 going to translate into slower OTAs? For some reason I have in my head that the 360 is more of a "pure Android" watch and the Huawei has too many Huawei specific features that may slow updates.

Christ we are getting to the point of choosing a watch based on OTA confidence. That's weird.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hotsauce posted:

For some reason I have in my head that the 360 is more of a "pure Android" watch and the Huawei has too many Huawei specific features that may slow updates.
This isn't a thing on Android Wear. OEMs basically get to add watch faces / apps and that's it. The 360 was actually consistently the slowest to get updates, but that was most likely because of it's lovely CPU.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

So for gen2 we're not seeing a spec bump? I guess the things will actually have to sell for someone to make a watch specific cpu.

It looks like the Asus Zenwatch 2 is going to be the cheapest, at $170?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I think all of them are using Qualcomm 400 chips.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

hotsauce posted:

Silly concern...is getting a Huawei over a 360 going to translate into slower OTAs? For some reason I have in my head that the 360 is more of a "pure Android" watch and the Huawei has too many Huawei specific features that may slow updates.

Skywalker OG posted:

So for gen2 we're not seeing a spec bump?

Lowen SoDium posted:

I think all of them are using Qualcomm 400 chips.

As Tunga said, with Android Wear Google doesn't let the OEMs handle making and updating their ROM, instead the devices must be approved by Google and Google handles building and distributing the ROMs and updates.

This is good because all Wear devices get new OTAs within a few weeks of each other; the flip side is the hardware OEMs are less free to experiment and differentiate themselves, and the specs tend to work out extremely similarly. Based on how it worked out with phones, I think it's a good tradeoff to make.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
They're forced to differentiate with design, which is easier with watches than it is for phones.

It is the best tradeoff.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I'm asking this because I have the G Watch and it's a bit stuttery. Would performance be any better on these new ones if they're using the same soc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Skywalker OG posted:

I'm asking this because I have the G Watch and it's a bit stuttery. Would performance be any better on these new ones if they're using the same soc?

Every new watch runs better than the g watch.