Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Trier posted:

Really, I need that powerful a card? I thought 980ti was like, if you wanted 4k. I have a 970, I guess that's not enough to pull the load?

It depends, if you turn some settings down or you are playing older games you should be fine. But on more modern games you will not be able to have over 60 FPS on high or ultra settings at 1440p with a 970. I have a 1920x1200 monitor and a 970 OCed to 1470MHz and if I turn things up in TW3, with hairworks off of course, I fall below 60 FPS quite regularly with a mix of high and ultra settings. At 1440p you are trying to push 60% more pixels than I am, so you will have to turn some stuff down if you want to get high FPS to take advantage of the higher refresh rate of that monitor. Of course you will be using the monitor a lot longer than the 970, so later on when you upgrade your card you might be able to take advantage of the high refresh rate and Freesync. Of course by that time all this GSync and Freesync stuff might have sorted itself out and there might be cheaper GSync monitors, or everyone will be using Freesync or who knows what else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Can anyone recommend a good display port cable? I hear really cheap ones might not properly support the 1.2a specification. I don't want to limit myself because of a copper cord.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

PerrineClostermann posted:

Can anyone recommend a good display port cable? I hear really cheap ones might not properly support the 1.2a specification. I don't want to limit myself because of a copper cord.

This one supports up to UHD resolution at 60Hz, it also does 1440p at 144Hz if you need that.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I got my Dell Ultrasharp U2913WM and it is pretty cool, but around the whole middle of the screen, if the screen is black or near black, I can see a snow of red pixels. They form a strict geometrical hex pattern.

It is pretty subtle, but my smartphone camera captures them really well if I hold it up close. What the heck is this about?:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Trier posted:

Really, I need that powerful a card? I thought 980ti was like, if you wanted 4k. I have a 970, I guess that's not enough to pull the load?

As AVeryLargeRadish (and I) have said: it depends on what and how you plan on running your games. Even a 980Ti is not enough to run TW3 on Ultra at 1440@144Hz. You need something like 3x980Ti SLI for that. Obviously a 980Ti will give you the best performance possible right now, but the best bang for your buck is a b-stock EVGA 980 for ~360 (about 80% of the speed for $300 less), which will still put up very respectable numbers at 1440. The reality is that unless you want to throw close to $2000 at GPUs, you're going to have to compromise your settings at 1440p. Where you opt to be on the pretties-vs-FPS scale is up to you.

All that said, a 970 is really the bare minimum for 1440p, so if you can afford it, stepping up would net you very noticeable gains. The only reason you might want to hold off on upgrading now is that AMD is planning on releasing their next series of cards sometime in the next 6 months or so, which (hopefully) will be a very large step forward for them. Or not--this generation was complete poo poo, after all.

e; the 980Ti gets talked about for 4k gaming because it's the first card that can generally do 4k@60FPS (or close enough, anyhow). But remember that 3840x2160x60 = 497.6M pixels/s while 2560x1440x144 = 530.8M pixels/s, so you're actually asking more of a card to do 1440p@144Hz than 4k@60Hz.

Despite that, just because you can't hit 144FPS doesn't make the monitor pointless. FPS has diminishing returns: the difference between 60 and 90 is a lot more noticeable than the difference between, say, 120 and 144. For the same cost, I'd much rather a 144Hz monitor + 980 vice a 60Hz monitor and a 980Ti. Obviously if cost isn't an issue, go hog wild.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 1, 2015

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

rapeface posted:

I spoke to someone from the ACCC over the phone twice and exchanged several emails. I explained my situation over the phone, gave someone my details and they let me know that Dell had escalated the matter. (Dell also called me to get some more details at this point) A few days later, the ACCC called me and said that Dell wasn't going to do anything because they felt that 3 years was reasonable use for a monitor and the ACCC couldn't really do anything more. Dell were willing to offer some discount on a monitor, but I have to tell them which one I want before they'll let me know how much they're giving me off (I'm not expecting much tbh). The people at the ACCC were super nice but seemed ultimately pretty toothless.

That's a shame. Hope you get a reasonable discount for your troubles.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I just keep waiting for the Asus PB278Q to drop in price from $400. I have one, and it really is worth the price they charge, but I want two more. :smith:
Is there a 23" or 24" equivalent in 1920 x 1080?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

I just keep waiting for the Asus PB278Q to drop in price from $400. I have one, and it really is worth the price they charge, but I want two more. :smith:
Is there a 23" or 24" equivalent in 1920 x 1080?

Then I suppose I shouldn't mention how NewEgg had refurb models for $270 two weeks ago?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

With my xb280hu coming Friday, is there a guide on how to do a full QC of display? Or is it pretty much pull up a 100% black image and look closely?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

DrDork posted:

Then I suppose I shouldn't mention how NewEgg had refurb models for $270 two weeks ago?

Are refurb models consistently good, with zero dead pixels? Because if so, I need to figure out how to subscribe to that.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

Are refurb models consistently good, with zero dead pixels? Because if so, I need to figure out how to subscribe to that.

No more or less so than the normal retail models are, really. I'm not sure if ASUS supports their zero-bright-defect return policy on refurb monitors, but either way you'd only have a 90 day warranty. But that's what you get for saving 30%, I guess.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
Got my 34UM95-P.

Initial Reaction: This motherfucker is HUGE holy gently caress.

Unboxing: Haven't had something feel more like christmas in a long time.

Setup: Haphazardly reorganizing my desk and finding a place for my laptop to live, managed to near perfectly center this beast on my desk.

First Power On: ...That's a letterbox, okay I need to fix this poo poo.

After a brief meddling with settings, I am successfully addicted to this thing. Looking at it from the vantage of two separate monitors, I thought I'd be left with something partially lacking. Having two full size monitors side by side windowed like this is beyond amazing. I don't think I'll use the screen splitting software much just because I tend to only want 2 sections at a time. There's some bleed but it's not bad (fairly dim really, you can just see it a bit). I'd highly recommend it for anyone who wants seamless workflow on things and if you love how prettyful poo poo can actually get.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

The only real advantage of the screen split software is that it lets you resize a window, and the window next to it will automatically get resized to match, and it's easier to resize windows into a middle position. On the other hand dragging a window into a region will try to expand it into that region and that's not what you want with a command prompt for example. I liked it but am not using it anymore, it felt like a tradeoff rather than an outright superior thing.

Crimpanzee
Jan 11, 2011
About to buy an Asus VS239H-P. It's 23", IPS, at $150 price point. I want to play games at 1080p with a R9 280 and don't really care about ultra settings. My price isn't very flexible and I haven't found anything else comparable except one similar Acer but that lacked VESA mounting.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Crimpanzee posted:

About to buy an Asus VS239H-P. It's 23", IPS, at $150 price point. I want to play games at 1080p with a R9 280 and don't really care about ultra settings. My price isn't very flexible and I haven't found anything else comparable except one similar Acer but that lacked VESA mounting.

It is a nice monitor.

I have a VS229H-P in perfect condition that can sell you for $100 shipped, I just upgraded to a 21:9 monitor. Same exact monitor, just 21.5 inches instead of 23, which I personally prefer since it's a bit harder to see the individual pixels on text at 1080p. Anyway, you don't have plat so email me at (my screen name with no spaces, @yahoo.com) if you wanna save some money.

Crimpanzee
Jan 11, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

It is a nice monitor.

I have a VS229H-P in perfect condition that can sell you for $100 shipped, I just upgraded to a 21:9 monitor. Same exact monitor, just 21.5 inches instead of 23, which I personally prefer since it's a bit harder to see the individual pixels on text at 1080p. Anyway, you don't have plat so email me at (my screen name with no spaces, @yahoo.com) if you wanna save some money.

Sweet, e-mail sent.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
My cheap-o 1080p monitor died and I was planning to get a second 24inch Dell Ultrasharp to replace it. I have a U2412M (1920x1200) and was going to get an identical one, but I saw that it isn't much more expensive to get the 25 inch 2560x1440 Dell U2515H. Does having dramatically different resolution displays side by side cause any problems or make it difficult to use? Someone earlier mentioned the font can be small on a 25inch quad HD display but I'm confident I can live with that.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

THF13 posted:

My cheap-o 1080p monitor died and I was planning to get a second 24inch Dell Ultrasharp to replace it. I have a U2412M (1920x1200) and was going to get an identical one, but I saw that it isn't much more expensive to get the 25 inch 2560x1440 Dell U2515H. Does having dramatically different resolution displays side by side cause any problems or make it difficult to use? Someone earlier mentioned the font can be small on a 25inch quad HD display but I'm confident I can live with that.

The "drag-across" would be affected as well, for example if you were trying to move the mouse cursor from one monitor to the other, if they were both 1080p it would always work, but if one is 1440p, trying to drag to it might hitch on an invisible wall at the edge of the 1080p monitor leading to the 1440p, on the top or bottom of the screen, depending on how you have them both lined up in Display settings on Windows. You can just be conscious of it or maybe there's some software workaround but it's worth mentioning.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

THF13 posted:

I would recommend against the U2515H because at 25" plus 1440p text becomes extremely small. This can be remedied to some extent via scaling but many programs do not scale properly and in some cases will not scale at all. I'd recommend the U2415 which is 1920x1200 like your U2412M but is newer and better in general.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Google Butt posted:

With my xb280hu coming Friday, is there a guide on how to do a full QC of display? Or is it pretty much pull up a 100% black image and look closely?

100% black image to check for IPS bleed then 100% white image to check for dead pixels. Unless IPS dead pixels are white or something. I haven't bought mine yet so I'll be interested to hear how yours turned out. Where did you buy it from?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Looks like the resolution wars are giving way to the refresh rate wars. The Acer Z35 has been confirmed to be 200Hz with GSync (144Hz without), and the PG279Q for 165Hz with GSync. This is a similar story to the announced X34 from Acer that is 75Hz normal and "overclocked" to 100Hz with GSync.

Both 200Hz and 165Hz seem so bizarre to me because they are divisible by neither 24Hz nor 30Hz.

E: Also confirmed, the Asus 34" curved 1440p etc monitor is now going to be 100Hz with GSync too. In addition, the XB270HU is getting refreshed as the XB271HU with thin matte bezels and a different stand as well as the new GSync module with HDMI. EE: Also 120Hz ULMB now

The good news just keeps rolling in

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 3, 2015

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

BurritoJustice posted:

E: Also confirmed, the Asus 34" curved 1440p etc monitor is now going to be 100Hz with GSync too. In addition, the XB270HU is getting refreshed as the XB271HU with thin matte bezels and a different stand as well as the new GSync module with HDMI. EE: Also 120Hz ULMB now

Please tell me who I give my credit card to for this. This is important.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Ambaire posted:

100% black image to check for IPS bleed then 100% white image to check for dead pixels. Unless IPS dead pixels are white or something. I haven't bought mine yet so I'll be interested to hear how yours turned out. Where did you buy it from?

Amazon LLC. I was browsing the other night, said 1 to 2 months, refreshed and it was in stock. I'm feeling optimistic after hearing the others who have purchased recently. I'll report back though.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

DrDork posted:

Please tell me who I give my credit card to for this. This is important.

ASUS comes out... next year sometime. Probably Q1 or Q2. The Acer version is due at the end of this year.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Welp, my XB270HU came and the "good" news is that it only has one stuck pixel, which I can deal with. However, it also has 4 smudges under the screen that are around 4-6 pixels large each. The biggest one is in the central area and is annoying as heck. I ordered a replacement from Amazon and since they're out of stock the delivery estimate is 1-2 months. I think I might just cancel the replacement and do a return after hearing about the news about the 271.

Disappointing, but not unexpected.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

BurritoJustice posted:

Looks like the resolution wars are giving way to the refresh rate wars.

We need to see some proper blind comparisons to know where spending money goes from marginal benefit to pissing it away.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

60->100hz is a huge difference. 100->144 is probably 'half' as noticeable.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

VelociBacon posted:

60->100hz is a huge difference. 100->144 is probably 'half' as noticeable.

60 to 100 is a bigger relative change, plus that it's not as deep into the land of diminishing returns. If anything I'd say it's more than twice as noticeable as the latter.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 3, 2015

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Yeah, I'm happy keeping my HU in ULMB mode by default. Partially because I'm playing fewer demanding 3d games but it's also just so amazingly smooth. Playing Pillars or something I'll still just stare at smoke from a fire and go 'woah... smooth.' (yes I smoke pot, why do you ask?)

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Hikaki posted:

Welp, my XB270HU came and the "good" news is that it only has one stuck pixel, which I can deal with. However, it also has 4 smudges under the screen that are around 4-6 pixels large each. The biggest one is in the central area and is annoying as heck. I ordered a replacement from Amazon and since they're out of stock the delivery estimate is 1-2 months. I think I might just cancel the replacement and do a return after hearing about the news about the 271.

Bummer :( I hope this isn't a bad batch.. If your order is fulfilled by amazon llc, do they not use 3rd party stock for exchanges?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
That kind of QA on a $900 panel is pretty absurd, I will just wait for Asus to release something.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Hikaki posted:

What was the manufacturing date?

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Google Butt posted:

Bummer :( I hope this isn't a bad batch.. If your order is fulfilled by amazon llc, do they not use 3rd party stock for exchanges?

I wouldn't think they would. Technically it's not their stock to sell?

Etrips posted:

What was the manufacturing date?

I didn't think to look, I'll check tonight.

The Gunslinger posted:

That kind of QA on a $900 panel is pretty absurd, I will just wait for Asus to release something.

I'm thinking the same thing. The refreshed XB1 does look really nice with the super thin bezel but it doesn't mean poo poo if every panel has defects.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
So I need a monitor that needs to have all 3 of these very important features:

• Support for standard wall-mounting
  • Fighting Game-grade input latency
  • Excellent vertical viewing angles, especially from below

It also needs to have either integrated speakers or a pass-through for a soundbar, and preferably more than one HDMI input.

Are any of these needs incompatible with one another? Like, is finding a low-latency monitor with good viewing angles a paradox? Because I kinda need both.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

The Gunslinger posted:

Well, that's Acer for you. That they still are the only game in town for a 27" 1440p 144Hz GSync monitor pretty much lets them do whatever and expect people to just suck it up.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

DoctorWhat posted:

So I need a monitor that needs to have all 3 of these very important features:

• Support for standard wall-mounting
  • Fighting Game-grade input latency
  • Excellent vertical viewing angles, especially from below

It also needs to have either integrated speakers or a pass-through for a soundbar, and preferably more than one HDMI input.

Are any of these needs incompatible with one another? Like, is finding a low-latency monitor with good viewing angles a paradox? Because I kinda need both.

Generally, right now, yes it is a paradox. None of the high refresh rate screens bar very few have good viewing angles. But, that's changing, albeit slowly. Right now there's only the Acer XB270hu that has been talked to death, but that has neither HDMI input nor speakers/soundbar/etc.

There is a refreshed version coming out at some point that will have HDMI input, and there are also many other models coming out from Asus, Acer, and others. But they're just not here yet.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
The ASUS MG279Q is close. It gets you 144Hz and good latency along with good viewing angles and it supports VESA mounting. Also has 2xHDMI, USB3, etc. Does not have speakers or a soundbar/passthrough, though--you're gonna be real hard pressed to find a gaming-grade monitor that does.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

DrDork posted:

The ASUS MG279Q is close. It gets you 144Hz and good latency along with good viewing angles and it supports VESA mounting. Also has 2xHDMI, USB3, etc. Does not have speakers or a soundbar/passthrough, though--you're gonna be real hard pressed to find a gaming-grade monitor that does.

FYI - the MG279Q does have internal speakers, I'm not sure how good they are but they're listed as 2W x 2 Stereo RMS.

Also it states on the product page that it only supports 2560 x 1440 at 144Hz over Display Port, if you're using HDMI your limited to 1920 x 1080 at 120Hz.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Just hooked up my xb270hu and

rip

edit: talking with amazon right now and they said this

quote:

Thanks for waiting. I'm so sorry about that. I checked and see that we don't have enough stock with us. We're expecting more inventory from our providers, So that it takes time to ship the item that's the reason it shows as Usually ships within 1 to 2 months.
In this case I'll issue you a return mailing label to return back the item for full refund.
If you use this label to return the item, you'll be getting a full refund and you won't be charged for the return shipping fee.

Considering I have a 30 day return window, I'm considering just hanging onto this for a few days and see if the stock updates. What do you guys think?

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
I know you all are spazing over refresh rates, but the LG 34UM95 is on sale for $674.99 right now from Adorama.

link