Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
You can't effectively map the MTG colors onto Exalted (I guess if you wait for the terrestrial book to come out you could, but even though terrestrials are white-blue-black-red-green those colors don't share all the same themes), but it can handle "demigods with unique and awesome powers" angle quite well. Since Solars don't tie into stuff like heaven or the underworld directly, they should be easily portable to other settings.

Other Ideas:
Ars Magica has spontaneous magic rules. You could write your own (Hedge) Magic system if you want to keep to the colors, or you can just use Hermetic Magic
Mutants and Masterminds can be built to a very high power level, and lets you build a few custom powers per Planeswalker to represent their unique traits
Maybe Reign, for its large-scale action and management rules. Haven't actually played it, but I hear good things in this direction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Nobilis 3e could do it pretty well - you could have an Estate of White or Blue or whatever, and use your estate properties to determine what that means. Then your stats would determine if you're good at manipulating your element, making things more or less like your element, cart around a bunch of artefacts to use, or are just physically or mentally potent.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I've long thought many bits of 3e could be hacked into a good system for playing games in the vein of Fairy Tail or One Piece.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

cybertier posted:

Since this game is out for months already and some of you gathered experience with this game, which is totally fully released, I need your opinions.

Ex3 for a Magic: the Gathering inspired game?
Characters that can travel planes, build and topple empires, works of magic and technology. Seems like a good fit.
Other ideas I have are Mage the Awakening (with the colors of MtG replacing the Arcana of MtA) or Atomic Robo RPG.

Reiterating that Nobilis is probs the best choice for this.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I'd also use something akin to Nobilis, with five different colors of mana points rather than four different kinds of miracle points. You could even use Cockatrice or physical hands of magic cards, drawn from existing decks, to determine which spells your players have access to at any given time, and then you use really-existing magic cards to improvise what a given action does in a scene.

Wait, this is really good. I need to think about this in more depth.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
I've been waiting years to run Exalted with Exalted so I'm not sure what other settings work for the system. That said someone should definitely port Shards of the Exalted Dream content for 3E

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

cybertier posted:

Since this game is out for months already and some of you gathered experience with this game, which is totally fully released, I need your opinions.

Ex3 for a Magic: the Gathering inspired game?
Characters that can travel planes, build and topple empires, works of magic and technology. Seems like a good fit.
Other ideas I have are Mage the Awakening (with the colors of MtG replacing the Arcana of MtA) or Atomic Robo RPG.

Any attempt to try and take Exalted and transplant it into another setting is an exercise in frustration, the only time the devs have ever made any attempt to make this feasible was in Shards (aka the best book ever made for the Exalted line) and even then it was mostly tools for modern exalted and some (excellent) alternate systems. The better bet is to use a flexible system and transplant exalted themes into it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
How was Burn Legend? I remember my friend played in a game of it and tried to run a game in the Battlestar Galatica rip-off setting.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Covok posted:

How was Burn Legend? I remember my friend played in a game of it and tried to run a game in the Battlestar Galatica rip-off setting.

Burn Legend is okay as long as you keep your fight with 2 to 3 combatants max. My regular group did something that involved a party of combatants and multiple enemies and the whole neat resolution system grinds to a slow mess and you start to think you need a spreadsheet to make this go faster.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Covok posted:

I only ever did 1v1 fights but it was really, REALLY fun. We made flashcards with our moves on them, and did a '1,2,3,flip' approach to revealing our moves each turn, it really made it a blast to play.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Covok posted:

Really good, and plays really fast with some house rules for extra speed. It's my preferred system for modern kung-fu, even more so than Feng Shui.

The big thing is to use cards for combat so people don't forget names and mechanics. There's a PDF floating around of premade cards, so I printed those out and put them in Magic card sleeves, backed with a card to give it some rigidity.

The big problem I have is that the game doesn't really scale up that well - at 100 xp to so it started becoming rocket tag. At creation and early XP it's just wonderful, though.

E. I can write up the house rules my group used after work if there's interest.

bbcisdabomb fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 2, 2015

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Street Fighter used the card flip thing :smaug: Glad to see Exalted caught up with it.

I remember finding their Modern Exalted thing really boring but I have never gotten the adoration for "this fantasy thing, but in the modern day, just like right now" so that may be more on me.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
No it absolutely makes sense from a few prospectives. That book was pretty chock full of the same Late 2Eisms of 'Infernals will win'; Modern and the Gunstar setting, two out of four of them and two out of three that really have 'stories'- because Burn Legend doesn't really as far as I ever read in the book- are both settings where part of the conciet is 'the Infernals won and now you're having to fight back'. It didn't really change the basis of the game, it just changed your target; this time you could maybe eventually have a slug fest that was a one on one fight with the big bosses because they were solo raid bosses instead of Dragonblooded; like a Realm run by Deathlords or something.

But it was still very much similar to base Creation, and even some of the rules made it more so; like how Mental influence decayed across the internet or video, making it so you still needed to be in person kind of to enact change.

I always found Modern more fun if you flipped it and played as an Infernal, Lunar, or Sid desperately trying to maintain the status quo against all the bullshit going wrong.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
A modern setting might have been more interesting if it was billed as "Exalted kills The World Of Darkness." It would just be Exalted characters systemically murdering all the super 90s NPCs in the World of Darkness one by one the moving on to the new World of Darkness.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
It could be kind of cool, like in one of those Narnia books when Jadis (before she becomes the White Witch) shows up in Edwardian London, robs a jewelry store and briefly tries to conquer the world.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Covok posted:

A modern setting might have been more interesting if it was billed as "Exalted kills The World Of Darkness." It would just be Exalted characters systemically murdering all the super 90s NPCs in the World of Darkness one by one the moving on to the new World of Darkness.

Holden is on record as really, really wanting to do Exalted vs. World of Darkness.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Yeah, the lovely World of Darkness. It's probably because he knows that that the entire exalted host would get loving dumpstered by even one vampire who's benefited from good chargen mechanics.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ferrinus posted:

Yeah, the lovely World of Darkness. It's probably because he knows that that the entire exalted host would get loving dumpstered by even one vampire who's benefited from good chargen mechanics.

Actually it's because the oWoD is more exciting and cinematic.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Holden probably wants to do an Exalted crossover with oWoD instead of nWoD because with the former you can wait a decade or so between publishing anything and people don't mind.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

nWoD(Beast excluded) is completely separate from the oWoD and Exalted. The only "what ifs" interesting enough for the nWoD are "Sidereals versus Demons", and there's no palatable path there.

The oWoD, however, has the same Wawa pork-roll taste as EXALTED, and gently caress you it's delicious. John Courage and Lee-Ann versus CK and Ayesha while the Wyrm's servants wait for them to overextend themselves GO!

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I enjoyed Shards and all its settings a lot, even Modern. Modern was fun for me because I played two games in it. In one I played a DJ Alchemical who could only speak by remixing tons of songs and hit people with Live Wire style. And would play very loud EDM style music whenever she got into fights.

The other character was a super 90s style hardcore Dusk caste abyssal with a soulsteel shotgun named Behemoth Shredder. It was the size of the average grand daiklaive. She fancied herself the protector of the night and ran around in all soulsteel, literally leaving no evidence of the demons, criminals, and monsters she purged from the world because her gun basically shredded stuff until the only physical evidence was bloodstains. Her backstory was also almost literally The Punisher - she was a cop who was married and adopted a few kids and then she was gunned down by organized crime bosses who had gotten tired of her interfering with their plans, along with her whole family.

So she decided to murder every criminal.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I remember people masturbating over how the Solar Exalted would totally kill all those dumb vampires LOL! ten years back. And it had a point on account of they glow with magic sunlight. If you rule that half the setting doesn't just melt into chili sauce when a Holy keyword looks towards 'em, now you might be getting somewhere resembling interesting. If we look at the rules the Exalts will win, but looking at the fluff the locals will probably do better than you'd think.

My personal objection to the 'modern Exalted' stuff is just that the "I AM OLD... AND FROM THE PAST. YET WHAT IS THIS MODERN WORLD?" is not a genre or conceit that has revved my motor much. I'd rather see more good Exalted material -- but, well. :negative:

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
One day, 10,000 years from now, they will finally be out of layout.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

Holden is on record as really, really wanting to do Exalted vs. World of Darkness.

He's also on record for saying it's probably not going to happen, so it's probably not going to happen.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Nessus posted:

My personal objection to the 'modern Exalted' stuff is just that the "I AM OLD... AND FROM THE PAST. YET WHAT IS THIS MODERN WORLD?" is not a genre or conceit that has revved my motor much. I'd rather see more good Exalted material -- but, well. :negative:

That's not at all what the Shard's campaign is, though, assuming that's what your referring too.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

That's not at all what the Shard's campaign is, though, assuming that's what your referring too.
I was thinking more Exalted vs. World of Darkness there yeah.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

ErichZahn posted:

nWoD(Beast excluded) is completely separate from the oWoD and Exalted. The only "what ifs" interesting enough for the nWoD are "Sidereals versus Demons", and there's no palatable path there.

The oWoD, however, has the same Wawa pork-roll taste as EXALTED, and gently caress you it's delicious. John Courage and Lee-Ann versus CK and Ayesha while the Wyrm's servants wait for them to overextend themselves GO!

No it doesn't, because you don't have to write in that insufferable meme hype voice in order to make Exalted sound even a bit appealing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
To be fair, with how completely batshit elders get in the oWoD, this would make for a fairly metal game. I mean, you've got Tzismisce-as-The-Thing, the 2000-year old ghost who thinks he's Pestilence, the mage with his army of space zeppelins crewed by robots, Sharkmen, Baron Munchmausen and Lucifer all walking around the oWoD, just to name a few.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Top-tier elder monsters and their antagonists in the nWoD are frankly more fearsome than top-tier elder monsters in the oWoD. Hell, the standard stuff PCs might deal with often is.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

Top-tier elder monsters and their antagonists in the nWoD are frankly more fearsome than top-tier elder monsters in the oWoD. Hell, the standard stuff PCs might deal with often is.

Fearsome wasn't what I was going for: cheese was.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Exalted isn't cheesy. Instead, it's good.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

is this book out of layout yet

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

That's... not true?

Exalted is super cheesy AND cheese doesn't mean bad.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

Way to cheese-shame.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

And yet, every explanation as to why it's the oWoD that Exalted should be consigned to pretty much boils down to "Exalted is stupid garbage".

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

And yet, every explanation as to why it's the oWoD that Exalted should be consigned to pretty much boils down to "Exalted is stupid garbage".
TBF the biggest complaint I have about the nWOD is that it seemed violently allergic to the gonzo Troma-film qualities of the oWOD and threw the baby out with the bathwater.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

Maybe for others, but I've never said anything like that.

Exalted can be played super serious, but usually ends up over-the-top anime cheese. It's fun. oWoD can be played super serious and dark, but usually ends up over-the-top anime cheese too, except with different genres.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

*nods*

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

Maybe for others, but I've never said anything like that.

Exalted can be played super serious, but usually ends up over-the-top anime cheese. It's fun. oWoD can be played super serious and dark, but usually ends up over-the-top anime cheese too, except with different genres.

I would not say that oWoD lends itself well either to super serious darkness or over the top anime cheese. It's too shallow and gimmicky for the former and too pretentious for the latter. In general, that the oWoD is somehow more amenable to free-wheeling, high-octane action or absurdity is a meme, not a fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ferrinus posted:

I would not say that oWoD lends itself well either to super serious darkness or over the top anime cheese. It's too shallow and gimmicky for the former and too pretentious for the latter. In general, that the oWoD is somehow more amenable to free-wheeling, high-octane action or absurdity is a meme, not a fact.

What's more oWoD than letting memes gestate until they're accepted as fact, though?

• Locked thread