Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Zephro posted:

So if I wanted to play a vaguely RPG/strategyish dystopian-cyberpunk-future™ game, but only had enough cash to buy one of Satellite Reign or Invisible, Inc - is there a clear winner? Satellite Reign looked more appealing at first glance but some of the reviews have been a little mixed, saying that the world is kind of static and the stealth is a bit janky.

Invisible, Inc probably. It depends on what you want from a game, Invisible Inc is a turn based game that's almost sort of like a roguelike where you have three days to do other missions and gain resources, equipment and stuff before you tackle the big one but the gameplay is akin to a more stealth based XCOM. Satellite Reign is more like Commandos meets Syndicate, but stealth is a bit awkward and not always viable since you can't pause the game as you micromanage your agents.

They're both fun but I'd go for Invisible, Inc if you could only choose one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Mr. Fortitude posted:

They're both fun but I'd go for Invisible, Inc if you could only choose one.
OK, thanks!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Not every one. Red Dead Redemption for example, I adored and it absolutely deserved the praise it got. It was still flawed, yes but I could overlook those flaws.

It was released two days ago officially in my time zone and the game had broken street date or got copies shipped from online retailers around 5 days before even that. So yes.

Edit: It's not even just the ending. The game feels unfinished because the second half of the game has you repeat missions from the first half again but slightly harder to progress the story, but the missions you do don't even make any sense in relation to the story being told anymore. It's like Konami made half a game here. For a game which had an $80 million budget, I honestly don't see where it all went because the money spent developing the FOX Engine itself is independent from that $80 million.
What is your time worth that you marathoned a mediocre game to completion in less than a week?

I wouldn't even bring that point up in the MGS thread, but you are posting in the Steam thread where playing games is a rare deviant activity looked down on by those just collecting them all for cards.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Zephro posted:

So if I wanted to play a vaguely RPG/strategyish dystopian-cyberpunk-future™ game, but only had enough cash to buy one of Satellite Reign or Invisible, Inc - is there a clear winner? Satellite Reign looked more appealing at first glance but some of the reviews have been a little mixed, saying that the world is kind of static and the stealth is a bit janky.

You may also want to take a look at Transistor if you don't already own it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

zedprime posted:

What is your time worth that you marathoned a mediocre game to completion in less than a week?

I wouldn't even bring that point up in the MGS thread, but you are posting in the Steam thread where playing games is a rare deviant activity looked down on by those just collecting them all for cards.

Because with Metal Gear games, there's usually something near the end that flips what you've played on its head. Whether it's the section from Arsenal Gear onwards in MGS 2, or the emotional gutpunch of MGS 3's ending or even the fanservice of MGS 4. I was waiting for MGS 5 to have something similar and it just didn't deliver.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
I can't believe Steam is seriously adding actual movies to the store. As if it wasn't already hard enough to weed through actual games. loving steam is bloatware, and will be out of business within 5 years.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Are there any hamsters and/or owls in MGS5?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

CountingWizard posted:

I can't believe Steam is seriously adding actual movies to the store. As if it wasn't already hard enough to weed through actual games. loving steam is bloatware, and will be out of business within 5 years.

They've had a bunch of movies from Devolver for months now.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

I saw what I thought was a Pika running along the ground in the first town, before it introduced capturing. Haven't seen any small critters since.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

No poisonous Zanzibar hamsters or hatching owls to trick guards I'm afraid.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Gotta love Steam. Over 24 hours of downloading MGS5 and it crashes at almost 90%, somehow deleting the entire game and forcing me to start over.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

No poisonous Zanzibar hamsters or hatching owls to trick guards I'm afraid.
gently caress. Any ration-gobbling snakes? Bee hives? Pigeons?

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

The only thing I want is a crocodile hat.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

gently caress. Any ration-gobbling snakes? Bee hives? Pigeons?

No, but you can fulton animals to Mother Base which is pretty fun.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

Ok I am posting this from my basement, where I have a persistent wired connection going. I can do whatever I want while it's connected like this and my internet will not poo poo itself. This is the office (which is why I can't move the modem/router to my bedroom) so there's another PC here already and it isn't having any problems either. Of course, it wasn't making GBS threads itself before, just on my PC specifically, but now it's not doing that anymore. So, presumably the wireless connection is the problem. What can I do about that, though?

Wired is always going to be better. But if you don't want to drill holes...

You can try ethernet over power. I use this to extend my wifi to the other end of my house, and supplying a slightly more reliable connection to my PS4/PS3.

You plug both units into the wall, then ethernet off them.

Router --> wall unit --> mains--> wall unit -> device. I tend to slap a switch on the other end to connect everything up.

I have four of these - http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA4010KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B00AWRUICG/

Downsides are that you're never going to hit the theoretical limit because of mains noise, and occasionally they'll have lag spikes, but they're fine for online play.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Edit: It's not even just the ending. The game feels unfinished because the second half of the game has you repeat missions from the first half again but slightly harder to progress the story, but the missions you do don't even make any sense in relation to the story being told anymore. It's like Konami made half a game here. For a game which had an $80 million budget, I honestly don't see where it all went because the money spent developing the FOX Engine itself is independent from that $80 million.
Maybe it was true about the rush to get the game out for the terminal illness guy to play it.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I'm only about 8 hours into MGS5 but I'm loving what I'm playing so far.
My biggest gripe is, cause I'm so impatient, it takes an annoyingly long time to get to just the menu. The game has to go through cutscenes that you have to skip and then it has to spend an inordinately long time to just log in to the server and then there's the helicopter mission/mother base transitions, jesus christ, it was cool the first few times around but it gets old fast.

If the fat was trimmed in those spots it would probably be my game of the year based on the sheer amount of tactics to you can use to tackle objectives, you have so many toys to use and the ai is just plain fun to gently caress with.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The most effective tactic I found was just walking around guard outposts. Yep.

I suppose that's my fault for not engaging with the game the way it's meant to be played but I still think the player should come under some sort of danger from straying off the roads and guard posts.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've got 6 hours of game time having bought MGS 5 yesterday and I can definitely say that it's worth buying, but not at 60 dollars. I'm having a lot of fun with it but there are quite a few small complaints that pile up very easily in the earlier parts of the game: Namely, being unable to skip the introductory helicopter rides into areas, having to navigate a whole bunch of menus to get into missions and do stuff, and traveling around on horseback being very slow even despite the horse really booking it. The actual gameplay is very entertaining and nicely polished, and the story is as good as ever, it's just that pretty much everything surrounding those two things kind of sucks because it gets in the way of the fun.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I've got 6 hours of game time having bought MGS 5 yesterday and I can definitely say that it's worth buying, but not at 60 dollars. I'm having a lot of fun with it but there are quite a few small complaints that pile up very easily in the earlier parts of the game: Namely, being unable to skip the introductory helicopter rides into areas, having to navigate a whole bunch of menus to get into missions and do stuff, and traveling around on horseback being very slow even despite the horse really booking it. The actual gameplay is very entertaining and nicely polished, and the story is as good as ever, it's just that pretty much everything surrounding those two things kind of sucks because it gets in the way of the fun.

In my opinion, the game takes a nosedive in the second half which is why I'm so down on it. Like, it's not a bad game but it is a bit disappointing and I'm baffled as to why it reviewed so well.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

In my opinion, the game takes a nosedive in the second half which is why I'm so down on it. Like, it's not a bad game but it is a bit disappointing and I'm baffled as to why it reviewed so well.

lmao if you think reviewers actually finish or even play the games they review.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
So are there any issues buying through Nuuvem now for people in NA? I made an account, added Mad Max to my cart and the only thing it seems concerned with is my Paypal info. So if I paid through PayPal, got the code, would there be zero issues with the activation key, would they even let the transaction go through... ?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah. It's the kind of game where once the hype wears off, people will look back and realize just how much the game does wrong. Like I said, it's not a bad game but it's a very flawed one but the flaws don't become so obvious until the second half of the game and the ending. The fact that the final proper mission and final boss were cut from the game, which actually does a lot to clean up the mess of a story doesn't endear me to MGS V either.

Oh bullshit, I don't know what NeoGAF forum threw that little theory around but there's no way it's true.

e: turns out it actually came from 4Chan. Don't believe everything you read, kids!

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Oh bullshit, I don't know what NeoGAF forum threw that little theory around but there's no way it's true.

It is true. There is literally video evidence of it on youtube. The cut content is even showcased on a collectors edition bluray.

https://www.vg247.com/2015/09/02/metal-gear-solid-5-collectors-edition-features-an-episode-that-didnt-make-the-cut/

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/metal-gear-solid-5-collectors-edition-blu-ray-has-/1100-6430249/

You can be in denial all you want.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

MGS has been known for having hella cut content in its history so I am not surprised it happened here too.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Srice posted:

MGS has been known for having hella cut content in its history so I am not surprised it happened here too.

MGS 2 had a cut boss fight against someone called the Chinaman and a lot of Arsenal crashing into Manhattan had to be cut because 9/11 happened, but I've never heard of a game cutting the final mission and last boss before until MGS 5 happened.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Fun fact about game development: a lot of things about literally every game ever made doesn't make it into the final game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It is true. There is literally video evidence of it on youtube. The cut content is even showcased on a collectors edition bluray.

https://www.vg247.com/2015/09/02/metal-gear-solid-5-collectors-edition-features-an-episode-that-didnt-make-the-cut/

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/metal-gear-solid-5-collectors-edition-blu-ray-has-/1100-6430249/

You can be in denial all you want.

"The Blu-Ray has an episode that didn't make the cut" is a big difference from "they cut the final boss!!"

You didn't like MGS5 and it's pretty clear you're trying to justify it objectively instead of just going "I didn't like the game." You've posted about it in threads completely unrelated to MGSV and a lot of what you've tried to say is pretty bullshit. MGSV is a game that has problems but you're really desperate for people to start disliking it, even though there are literally other people who've finished the game who remain positive about it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

"The Blu-Ray has an episode that didn't make the cut" is a big difference from "they cut the final boss!!"

You didn't like MGS5 and it's pretty clear you're trying to justify it objectively instead of just going "I didn't like the game." You've posted about it in threads completely unrelated to MGSV and a lot of what you've tried to say is pretty bullshit. MGSV is a game that has problems but you're really desperate for people to start disliking it, even though there are literally other people who've finished the game who remain positive about it.

The episode is literally titled Mission 51. The story missions ingame only go to to Mission 50. The cut content included a final fight with Metal Gear Sahelanthropus. If you want to remain in denial, then that's fine. I don't really care either way. I've already said before that it isn't a bad game, I just don't get what the praise is for. I realize I'm a minority in that. I'm not trying to say "Hey MGS V is poo poo! Don't buy it!", I'm just offering a voice who wasn't as enthralled with it as seemingly everyone else is.

But, fine. I won't mention it again.
VVV
The cut content features a lot of the stuff depicted in the 2014 E3 trailer. It wasn't something decided early on in development and then scrapped, the game had a 5 year development cycle.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 3, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The episode is literally titled Mission 51. The story missions ingame only go to to Mission 50. The cut content included a final fight with Metal Gear Sahelanthropus. If you want to remain in denial, then that's fine. I don't really care either way.

Do you not actually get the difference between "they plotted this idea out" and "they cut it from the game?"

That is the thing you don't get. Something being a half-finished storyboard doesn't mean they pulled it from the game at the last second. It means they were considering doing it and didn't.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm not trying to say "Hey MGS V is poo poo! Don't buy it!",

You literally have said that in threads. Like it's fine if you feel that way but don't pretend like you haven't.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

SynthOrange posted:

So uh, should I play Ground Zeroes before going into Phantom Pain?

To put it in perspective, you can probably beat Ground Zeroes' main mission before the first cutscene of Phantom Pain is over so you might as well play through GZ to get a quick feel for the gameplay and the immediate backstory if you already own GZ.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Do you not actually get the difference between "they plotted this idea out" and "they cut it from the game?"

That is the thing you don't get. Something being a half-finished storyboard doesn't mean they pulled it from the game at the last second. It means they were considering doing it and didn't.

You literally have said that in threads. Like it's fine if you feel that way but don't pretend like you haven't.

No, I've said I've found it disappointing. I've never said it was a bad game, I've never even said it was a mediocre game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

No, I've said I've found it disappointing. I've never said it was a bad game, I've never even said it was a mediocre game.

You posted about how it makes you constantly roll your eyes, how it was just an example of Kojima jerking off, how it doesn't do anything well, how it wasted your time,, ect.

I don't care if you dislike MGS5 but you're absolutely not going "eh, it's just a little flawed" when a full 60% of your recent posts are posts about how bad it is. And if you think it's bad that is fine! Ain't nobody obligated to like a game!

I mostly commented on this one because it's frustrating that every single time a developer reveals any cut content it is used as proof that the developers are lazy and shiftless as opposed to 'every game ever has cut content.'

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The cut content features a lot of the stuff depicted in the 2014 E3 trailer. It wasn't something decided early on in development and then scrapped, the game had a 5 year development cycle.

This, for example, does not mean literally anything, at all. Games (and movies!) use cut content in trailers all the time because they might as well get some use out of stuff they scrapped.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 3, 2015

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Did you watch the video? It's not some half finished storyboard, it's an actual, animated 3D cutscene with complete assets. The middle bit with the boss battle and a gunfight is missing, but it's otherwise intact.
Here, take a look.

HGH fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 3, 2015

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Is this the game that had the stripper chick with the dark secret that would make players feel bad or whatever? Someone just spoil that part for me thanks. Is it that she is one of the series' vaginabomb survivors?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HGH posted:

Did you watch the video? It's not some half finished storyboard, it's an actual, animated 3D cutscene with complete assets. The middle bit with the boss battle and a gunfight is missing, but it's otherwise intact.
Here, take a look.

Yes. And that has existed before and will exist again, especially in large games with long development cycles and troubled development history. Even in the 90s it wasn't uncommon to find cut voicework, cutscenes or other content on discs that was finished or nearly finished but removed for a variety of reasons. Sometimes this includes complete or nearly-complete areas, characters bosses or other things removed from the game. Sometimes this is the result of budget or scheduling difficulties, sometimes it is just due to it not working properly, and sometimes just cut because it didn't fit.

Especially knowing the drama behind MGSV it's entirely possible it ran into development troubles but the instantly jump to "they cut it because of malicious reasons" is silly. I'm not even arguing that the episode wouldn't have improved the game or not. I'm just saying that it is just as plausible it was actual normal cut content.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 3, 2015

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
And sometimes it includes a sex minigame that causes people to lose their loving minds.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

Is this the game that had the stripper chick with the dark secret that would make players feel bad or whatever? Someone just spoil that part for me thanks. Is it that she is one of the series' vaginabomb survivors?

She's photosynthetic and can only survive when she's wearing little clothing, because otherwise she would suffocate. She's like that because of parasites and she was given parasites because Ishmael threw chemicals at her in the hospital and then set her on fire to save Venom's life.

The real question is, The End in MGS 3 was also photosynthetic and he wore clothes just fine, albeit clothes made of tree leaves.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

HGH posted:

Here, take a look.

This proves the opposite point, really. All that's on display here is the voice work (which is always done as close to the beginning of the project as possible) and basic blocking. It's animated concept art, used to decide if the content is going to be developed or not, and it obviously got shot down. If it was truly "cut" content then there would at least be playable sections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Saint Freak posted:

She's a plant or something, so she has to be naked.

• Locked thread