Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
You're sure you can't stand a well-configured hardware port right? Most of them are pretty close to software - a hell of a lot closer than glquake was that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

I don't see why anybody feels the need to pull out their neckbeard hairs in frustration over getting a modern source port to be 100% exactly like the original DOS renderer. If you absolutely CANNOT handle there being differences for whatever reason, just use DOSBox? I honestly do not see what the big deal is.

Because software looks different from OpenGL in many ways, because the Quake assets were designed to be rendered in software (GLQuake was an after-the-fact add-on and wasn't originally even intended to be released until Carmack tried his GL renderer that he wrote for a $500,000 SGI workstation with a 3Dfx card just to see what would happen), because super8 broke the lighting pretty much completely, and because no other software port supports big maps (as well as fog, colored lighting, and alpha, all of which are required by modern maps)? Running modern maps in DOS Quake does not work. Are you going to poo poo on people who use ZDoom or eDuke32's software renderer too? Obviously esselfortium is just "pulling out his neckbeard" when he recommends the software renderer for BTSX, right? It's not like BTSX's assets were designed for software with a specific colormap and palette, oh that would be crazy.

I used to be one of the people who complained about Quake being "too brown". Seeing it in software for the first time since 1996 changed my tune. It's a completely different and much more threatening atmosphere--no GL port comes close.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

If only leileilol continued his work on engoo, no neckbeard would be pulled :(

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Ok, just God moded the final boss because by that point I was sick of it. Here's what I got.

Strange Aeons is a Lovecraftian Dream Cycle-based Ultimate Doom mod. It's got four episodes, each with a different theme. Episode 1 is based in floating islands in a void, Episode 2 is based in a rusted, nefarious industrial setting (though it manages to distinguish itself from others of the same theme with a different set of textures), Episode 3 is based a prehistoric world of indescribably ancient temples, and Episode 4 is a frozen industrial type setting, and probably the most boring of the bunch.

The Good:
-Feels a lot like Blood.
-Cool, strange enemies, for the most part.
-The episode's themes are really cool. There are a few bits where you dip into the other themes for a bit.
-E2M5, Juggernaut is set on a moving train thing, it is ridiculously Blood-like and possibly the coolest bit in the game.
-Weapons are mostly the same or simple resprites, but some have some tweaks to their behaviour, the chaingun is replaced with a faster firing AK, the chainsaw is a short-range infinite ammo skeleton arm holding an orb and the plasma gun is the Yithian lightning gun (thought I never found it).
-E1 is pretty drat solid.
-New powerups, Infinite Ammo, Double Firerate, one similar to the Berserk pack that turns you into a giant and powerful mutant that can't pick up items.
-Excellent use of System Shock 2 music.

The Infinite Ammo powerup.

The Bad:
-E2 and E3 have some good levels, but a few bad or boring ones as well. E2 has several crusher heavy episodes.
-Lots of flipping switches and having enemies teleport in.
-Some levels feel awful stingy on health, especially in E4.
-Boss of E2 burrows, and doesn't have an indicator of where it'll pop up. Not a problem in its boss level, but shows up a couple times in E3 and E4 where it is far more annoying.
-A few levels where hitscan enemies are too far away to effectively deal with.
-There's dark revenant enemies, they have a hitscan attack but are weaker, still annoying. Arachnotron enemies, the Spiderbabies, have a projectile attack that's so fast it's almost hitscan. Quite annoying.

The industrial zone of Episode 2.

This is one of the linking bits of Juggernaut. Careful not to fall off.

The Ugly:
-E4. Just bad. One of the levels to progress you have to shoot a pillar. It's the only one you ever need to shoot and there are a bunch of pillars that look the same throughout. I never saw a clue to indicate that's what you needed to do.
-Nightmres and Star Vampires. Are only briefly visible and only vulnerable then. Will rip your rear end in a top hat apart.

Episode 3 reminds me of the last act of Undying, except it doesn't completely fall apart.

This level actually kinda sucks, but that's the chainsaw replacement.

Episode 4's highlight is Twilight Meat Train, a poor replication of Juggernaut.

Closing thoughts:
Strange Aeons has got quite a few cool bits, some neat additions, but it is held back in many ways by some poor levels, some annoying enemies, and a final episode that feels slapdash, rushed, and ultimately not fun, but man, when it's hitting the right notes it's fantastic. The distinct styles of the episodes is a nice touch, most of the enemies are cool. I can't say it's a masterpiece, despite really wanting to, but there's certainly worse out there, so I'd recommend giving it a shot.

catlord fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Sep 3, 2015

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Finished Quake 1 SP yesterday! :woop: Does it make me bad at old school FPS games that I had to look up how to beat Shub N-word at the end?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I have to agree with Woolie Wool, Quake in software mode looks a lot better than Quake in hardware mode. I wouldn't mind a hardware mode that could accurately emulate software mode but no such thing exists.

Could we start a kickstarter to pay Leileilol to finish the Engoo port?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I dunno, I always felt that once you got overbrights and fullbrights programmed in, they looked about the same, barring differences in color depth.

EDIT: Well, software's water-warping is a lot cooler, so I guess there's still that?

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 3, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I don't see why anybody feels the need to pull out their neckbeard hairs in frustration over getting a modern source port to be 100% exactly like the original DOS renderer. If you absolutely CANNOT handle there being differences for whatever reason, just use DOSBox? I honestly do not see what the big deal is.

For the most part I agree with you, but things like being able to load funky WADs or being able to load replays without the demo breaking at some point can depend upon you getting all the emulation 100% exact, so I don't think its so worthless. Its just not something I would personally put a ton of time into, but power to those who do.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Minidust posted:

Finished Quake 1 SP yesterday! :woop: Does it make me bad at old school FPS games that I had to look up how to beat Shub N-word at the end?

Sounds like you really liked it. :unsmith: I think you should continue your Q1 experience by playing the first expansion, then finding some great custom maps to play.

The telefrag thing isn't really explained at all and there's no way to figure out you need to telefrag Shubby if you've never really telefragged before, so there's no shame in looking it up.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Segmentation Fault posted:

I have to agree with Woolie Wool, Quake in software mode looks a lot better than Quake in hardware mode. I wouldn't mind a hardware mode that could accurately emulate software mode but no such thing exists.

Could we start a kickstarter to pay Leileilol to finish the Engoo port?

I bought Blzut3 a copy of Visual C++ 6 so he can port it to a modern compiler and other people will be able to work on it. It will be a while before it gets to me, and then from me to him though.

Yes, leileilol developed Engoo on a compiler that doesn't work on any Windows after Windows 2000.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Apparently Half life source ports are a thing now.

Firstly

Secondly: anybody here know anything about HL source ports and which might be the best all rounder?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

HL: Source... ports?!

Wha... I... why?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It looks like there's just the one, and it's only just potential graphical enhancements over the OpenGL Half-Life you play on Steam.

Of course, being a sourceport, there's an Android version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0yiWQYigN4

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Gotta get HL running on phones, ATMs, and watches somehow.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Gotta have everything on mobile, especially the games with controls that wouldn't work on touchscreens

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Of course!
Mobile ports don't necessarily have to be playable, after all, just buyable.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shadow Hog posted:

Gotta have everything on mobile, especially the games with controls that wouldn't work on touchscreens

Phone controllers have existed for like 5 years dude. If it's playable with a PS2/360 controller, it's playable on phones

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Klaus88 posted:

Apparently Half life source ports are a thing now.

Firstly

Secondly: anybody here know anything about HL source ports and which might be the best all rounder?

Does HL:Source count? You said source ports! :downsrim:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

They're not particularly standard, though. Like, to any degree. And almost no phones come with them built in after the Xperia Play.

I don't really feel buying a stand for your phone and then a controller for your phone that may or may not work with a given app because the only standard interface is the touchscreen strikes me as the best way to game. Just me, though.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Woolie Wool posted:

I bought Blzut3 a copy of Visual C++ 6 so he can port it to a modern compiler and other people will be able to work on it. It will be a while before it gets to me, and then from me to him though.

Hey, one more SW-rendering candidate that I forgot to mention. Fitzquake Mark V has a "WinQuake" version in its latest development builds (e.g. http://quakeone.com/proquake/interims/mark_v_20150508_windows.zip from http://celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=60831 ). I haven't tried it myself though, not sure what is up there. I assume from the name that it is a SW renderer though? Or tries to mimic one?

A good thing about FMV is that it has more folks pounding on it to ensure compatibility with various custom releases. By now it probably has a Quakespasm-ish level of reliability for working with whatever you throw at it.

=====

But anyway: so what in particular is your wishlist for Engoo? Just "limits" stuff, compatibility testing (check out the posts by NightFright in that FMV thread), maybe bsp2 support? Something else?

At the very least it needs to be fixed so that it remembers video resolution settings between launches. :)

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
I guess I must be in the minority then, because I honestly don't see this mystical appeal of software mode; it's clunky and ugly. Sure, I get the nostalgia value and I understand that it's how the game was INTENDED to be played, but I honestly don't care about intent when it comes to games. Quakespasm with filtering off and square particles works wonders by me. The same goes for Doom, even: I use GZDoom even for non-GL mods simply for the fact that I hate the ugly "fade to brown" method of shading in software.

EDIT:

Zaphod42 posted:

For the most part I agree with you, but things like being able to load funky WADs or being able to load replays without the demo breaking at some point can depend upon you getting all the emulation 100% exact, so I don't think its so worthless. Its just not something I would personally put a ton of time into, but power to those who do.
Yeah, that much makes sense. I'm not KNOCKING anybody for it, though my wording was pretty harsh I guess. I guess I just find it odd to obsess so much over the tiniest details when I'm not somebody interested in demo playback or what have you.

Chinese Tony Danza fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 3, 2015

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
(quote is not edit)

Chinese Tony Danza fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 3, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shadow Hog posted:

They're not particularly standard, though. Like, to any degree.

What are you talking about? There's a standard on iOS and a standard on Android, and on Android you can even use straight up console controllers and USB-based PC and console controller.

And the standards have been around for years on both OSes.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

The same goes for Doom, even: I use GZDoom even for non-GL mods simply for the fact that I hate the ugly "fade to brown" method of shading in software.
Do you also prefer the "special edition" versions of the original Star Wars triology. Just trying to get a complete picture here

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Still don't like the idea of my portable gaming instead being me setting up what amounts to a portable screen (the phone) and then using an external controller to play it. Sort of defeats the entire point of it being portable.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Woolie Wool posted:

Yes, leileilol developed Engoo on a compiler that doesn't work on any Windows after Windows 2000.
Not the most archaic source port development environment I've heard of. The current developer of Doom Legacy tests his Windows builds in Win98 and thinks DLLs like SDL should be installed into System32 like a Linux dependency instead of being packaged with the EXE.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

I forgot Doom Legacy was even a thing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shadow Hog posted:

Still don't like the idea of my portable gaming instead being me setting up what amounts to a portable screen (the phone) and then using an external controller to play it. Sort of defeats the entire point of it being portable.

They come with things that hold the phone for the purpose-built ones. Seriously you sound like the last time you checked any of this was like 2008 when some guy managed to jerry-rig a jailbroken iphone and some external hardware to work with his SNES controller.

And this is to say nothing of how in the space year 2015, most phones output to your TV, let alone most tablets which run the same OS.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

No, that's basically the state of mobile phone controllers when I last looked into it last year.

And yeah, let's plug the phone into a TV, that'll solve my concerns about portability.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

What if it was a portable TV?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I carry a 16" flat screen tv and several controllers in my backpack and when I want to play mobile games I find the nearest power outlet and lay in the middle of the hallway at the county clerk's office.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shadow Hog posted:

No, that's basically the state of mobile phone controllers when I last looked into it last year.

And yeah, let's plug the phone into a TV, that'll solve my concerns about portability.

It really isn't.

People do that because they're not after sitting down to play a long game on a bench in the park or whatever, but they just want to play the game on their TV and don't want to have to mess around with moving a PC over or whatever.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Elliotw2 posted:

It looks like there's just the one, and it's only just potential graphical enhancements over the OpenGL Half-Life you play on Steam.

Of course, being a sourceport, there's an Android version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0yiWQYigN4

Honestly I'm looking for something that works around loving steampipe. STEAMPIPE! :argh:

It looks like it has a bizarre and convoluted file structure for model replacements, unless I'm misreading the the FAQ/book of words.

Zaphod42 posted:

Does HL:Source count? You said source ports! :downsrim:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The Kins posted:

Not the most archaic source port development environment I've heard of. The current developer of Doom Legacy tests his Windows builds in Win98 and thinks DLLs like SDL should be installed into System32 like a Linux dependency instead of being packaged with the EXE.

Some time with 98 will teach you why Windows programs stopped using DLLs like Linux libraries.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
They should be installed to a central location, with versioning, and proper package management information including what depends on what.

Throwing it in system32 does none of this.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Linguica posted:

Do you also prefer the "special edition" versions of the original Star Wars triology. Just trying to get a complete picture here
Comparing software vs. hardware is nowhere near the same ballpark as original trilogy vs. special edition. Maybe if Quakespasm automatically converted your .pak files to feature HD textures and high poly models, replaced certain monsters with overproduced "scarier" versions, and added a bunch of goofy cartoon sound effects it would be a better comparison.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

Elliotw2 posted:

The best perk of Xash3D is actually compatibility; Valve have changed/screwed with HL1's engine a lot over the years, and many old maps have a lot of weird issues as a result (both minor and gamebreaking). Xash3D is designed to be able to handle just about any HL1 map without issues. For newer/post-steam maps it doesn't matter much, but for older ones I prefer Xash3D as it makes sure I won't run into any unintended major issues.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Comparing software vs. hardware is nowhere near the same ballpark as original trilogy vs. special edition. Maybe if Quakespasm automatically converted your .pak files to feature HD textures and high poly models, replaced certain monsters with overproduced "scarier" versions, and added a bunch of goofy cartoon sound effects it would be a better comparison.

It's closer than you think, the special editions also had really lovely color correction (scroll down to the shots of lightsabers).

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

So Darkplaces mods then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Of all the dumb things sa.com has for smilies, we don't have some version of this?