Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Wet riding best riding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
Posting for the fucktard idiot driver of this SUV https://streamable.com/jggm at least it was a good reminder I need to look at my front brakes.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Gillingham posted:

Posting for the fucktard idiot driver of this SUV https://streamable.com/jggm at least it was a good reminder I need to look at my front brakes.

What the gently caress? How did they even get there to do that.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Gillingham posted:

Holy gently caress, you almost died.:psyduck:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Z3n posted:

Idiot LA driver it looks like.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

Z3n posted:

I have no freaking idea, you have to cross a double yellow into a tunnel with a curve so.
They would have had to cross into the tunnel making a left over the double yellow into the wrong way side here

Gillingham fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 4, 2015

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
Got some bruises on me and my new bike. Driving in the rain, reasonable speed (40-50 km/h) in a city area. Car turned in front of me, from a small street behind some bushes (I had the right of way). I braked quickly, but there were some puddles of water.. And then sliding on the wet pavement on my rear end, with my pretty Honda sliding on its side in front of me.

Car of course did not stop.

Luckily, not much traffic and no curbs - mostly small bruises on my hip. Not a scratch in the helmet or jacket, only minor damage to my riding jeans. I guess that my rear end also had some water sliding properties.

Also, CB1300 standard crash pads are poo poo - They turned in their mounting, and so engine timer cover also took enough damage to spill half of the engine oil to the pavement. Fire brigade was there then to clean up the spill. Luckily my poo poo insurance covered towing to repairs (but nothing else).

Physical damage was limited. Looking around 400€ bill, not counting the new crash pads (290€ from Honda - no way I will get them again) and scratches in the (standard) muffler which will be changed anyhow next season.

Of course I should have tried to swerve instead of braking, or drive even slower, or...

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Sounds more like a crash than an "almost crash". Glad you are ok! Stuff like that is pretty jarring. Good thing the bike didn't take significant damage. You can just replace the engine cover and various soft bits, and it will be good to go, right? When you say crash pad, you mean frame sliders? They may have twisted, but at least they didn't catch and topple the bike. Time to hit up woodcraft for some high quality bits.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Letmebefrank posted:

Of course I should have tried to swerve instead of braking, or drive even slower, or...

More like planning ahead really. 30mph in the rain shouldn't be a problem, you just need to consider Murphy's law, which in this context is: if you can see there is a blind junction coming up and you can't tell whether a car is about to pull out of it, a car is about to pull out of it.

So maybe progressively slowing down a bit on approach to the junction, positioning further out if it's safe to do so, assessing oncoming traffic and the road conditions to see whether swerving or braking would be more appropriate if something does pop out... it's overall awareness, both of potential hazards and possible escape routes.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

More like planning ahead really. 30mph in the rain shouldn't be a problem, you just need to consider Murphy's law, which in this context is: if you can see there is a blind junction coming up and you can't tell whether a car is about to pull out of it, a car is about to pull out of it.

So maybe progressively slowing down a bit on approach to the junction, positioning further out if it's safe to do so, assessing oncoming traffic and the road conditions to see whether swerving or braking would be more appropriate if something does pop out... it's overall awareness, both of potential hazards and possible escape routes.

Also ABS. As the person drove off presumably the bike didn't hit him so you could have stopped or otherwise escaped. Not a criticism, I had an almost identical crash in my early days which is why I know have an ABS-equipped bike.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Coydog posted:

Sounds more like a crash than an "almost crash". Glad you are ok! Stuff like that is pretty jarring. Good thing the bike didn't take significant damage. You can just replace the engine cover and various soft bits, and it will be good to go, right? When you say crash pad, you mean frame sliders? They may have twisted, but at least they didn't catch and topple the bike. Time to hit up woodcraft for some high quality bits.

You are right, somehow my brain missed the actual crash thread. Yes, frame sliders were the term I was looking for - the Honda originals did protect somewhat, but the mounting point of them is poorly chosen.

Reneissance Robot: I completely agree. This is even quite typical route for me so I knew there was an intersection... But somehow was not alert enough.

Goddammedtwisto: i understood later that as my bike did not hit the car even when sliding, there was really no need to break that hard. Overreacting and poor braking technique flipped the bike, the car was just initiator. ABS would have been useful..

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
I was asked to leave work early and rush home. It was pissing rain all the way home and traffic came to a dead stop again and again. After I finally got off the interstate gently caress fest I got to learn about brake fade in wet weather.

I was getting cut off by some moron in a sedan when he slammed on his brakes. I applied my front brake liberally as per usual and noticed it was not biting.

After a second of mild panic and then accepting my fate I let off the brake and reapplied both brakes.

I'm thankful that I did not become a new feature in that sedans rear bumper.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

That shouldn't happen. Something is wrong with your brakes. I ride all the time I all kinda of rain in spastic Brisbane traffic and have never had that happen on any bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If you run HH sintered pads rain performance is totally marginal until they scrub the water off and start to get some heat in them.

This is one of the reasons I run the really expensive brembo pads on the 1290 - true all around performance. It's easy to find a modern pad that performs well in one area, it's really hard to find one that performs well in all areas.

You don't need to pulse the brakes though, you just apply a handful and then it ramps up braking power as they heat/friction coefficient rises. Can be a bit disconcerting when you're letting off the brake but it's still braking harder as the pad braking performance improves.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
Yeah I figured it was just due to the water build up on the disc. I have ridden in the rain many times before and this was the first time it happened and it was the only time it happened on my whole way home. It was just enough to scare the piss out of me.

As for my brakes... they're getting bled asap after I get my new brake fluid in.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Minkee posted:

Yeah I figured it was just due to the water build up on the disc. I have ridden in the rain many times before and this was the first time it happened and it was the only time it happened on my whole way home. It was just enough to scare the piss out of me.

As for my brakes... they're getting bled asap after I get my new brake fluid in.

This is discussed in proficient motorcycling which is a good book and everyone should read and instantly recall at all times while riding in any condition and during any set of circumstances. Glad to hear you didn't crash though!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I post in here too much :cripes:

Passed my mod 1 test with a single minor, proceeded to nearly hit the back of a van on the way home. Wet road, the whole thing slick with algae or something. I misjudged my stopping distance, tapped the back brake and unstuck the rear and that fucker just would not regain traction.

Somehow managed to get the bike over into the cycle lane on the left of the van, ended up overshooting it by something like two car lengths, fishtailing the whole way. It nearly caught at one point but then immediately came unstuck again, didn't properly stick until I'd come to stop. I went back to check the road and while there was only one tiny fuel spot, the whole thing was slippy as gently caress and I nearly fell over just walking on it. I'm bloody lucky the front didn't go too.

It's extra dumb because my following distance for moving vehicles is usually pretty good, I just let myself get too close to this guy because a) not properly accounting for rain affecting my stopping distance (to say nothing of the extra slick road we happened to be on) and b) not clocking until too late that he was stopped at a temporary roadworks traffic light, and not merely pausing to let someone turn right, and therefore not about to move off. This is like the number one cause of crash in No Prisoners (fools thinking the guy in front is going to be gone by the time they get there, except he's not) which I've watched pretty much all of, so you bet I'm pretty red in the face right now :ughh:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Well that could have gone worse - really nasty traffic on the ride home tonight, I was tooling up the inside of it in the bus lane, see a gap opposite a side turn and my spidey sense told me it was going to be suddenly full of car - just as I had the thought, sure enough it was, he'd stopped before blocking the lane but I wasn't sure if he'd seen me so I braked (was only doing about 15 anyway) and as I stopped I hear fzzzzzzzzzzFUCK*thunk* as the CB125 behind me locked up, managed to keep it upright, but bumped into my rear tyre.

No damage to either of us but I think he'll be taking my warning about awareness and not following directly behind to heart.

Incidentally the traffic was apparently caused by a giant dong in the road:

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

Squirrel Burger posted:

Commute today and back from Seattle to Bellevue across the I-90 bridge in the rain was an absolute pucker. I'm not yet very experienced with rain riding - fishtailed twice doing lane changes over painted lines on the way there. On the way back, the perpendicular wind over the bridge was blowing so strong I was white-knuckling it hoping to not fall over going 70. I reviewed the footage from my helmet cam and I can see getting onto the bridge it looks like I have to do the goddamn Cabbage Patch to stay upright the whole time.

Bus for me on lovely weather days until I learn to be one with the bike a little more.

What the gently caress? You fishtailed over a lane change in some rain? Was it the first rain of the season? First rain's especially bad (oil on ground), no shame in that - I try to avoid it, too. Something else is going on here, it may not be your skill that needs mending. Also, get the gently caress back on your bike in the rain - go to some parking lots or whatever it takes to get your dick back out in front, bro. I'm not being cold, the longer you go afraid of a certain element, the more averse you'll become. gently caress the bus, you're a motorcyclist.

Check tread and tire pressure and don't forget your fundamentals (tell the bike to lean - don't force it, easy on the bars, in heavy wind, get low, etc.)

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

White knuckling is probably 75% of your problem, as well as making it worse than it was. Relax, lane change slower and you will be fine.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Shimrod posted:

White knuckling is probably 75% of your problem, as well as making it worse than it was. Relax, lane change slower and you will be fine.

Yeah, the key to fighting the wind is to keep loose and lean off the bike and into it a tiny bit. You can drat near ride through a hurricane if you can get that down.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Gillingham posted:

:stonklol:

but Kia Soul =/= SUV

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Welp, tonight my ABS just paid for itself, after I nearly went head-on into a minicab going the wrong way around a roundabout. Will upload video once I've calmed down a bit and edited it down.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKTJWaAjrPY

:nws: for language.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

100% justified :wtf:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Jesus. :stare:

Glad you're okay man. As if the fucker honked at you as well, like it's your fault he nearly hit you.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Gon have me some ABS on my next bike for sure. Glad the fucktard didn't hit you dude.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Jesus, that was infuriating to watch. What a loving prick!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

What the gently caress indeed. Took a minute to reprogram that that's not the us and cars shouldn't be coming from that direction.

Also man I miss Europe :(

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

Jesus Christ - I'd have pulled him out of the loving car for that. Do you have enough detail to report him?

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Positive ID on Twisto...

http://youtu.be/jzEoYJEay9I

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

How dare you compare me to that scouse nonce doing a terrible north London accent. I'm a proper cockney geezer, innit.

(Having said that I would renounce my cockney birthright in a second if it meant getting to be Darth Maul's voice and being married to Sarah Alexander)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

hermand posted:

Jesus Christ - I'd have pulled him out of the loving car for that. Do you have enough detail to report him?

Yeah, I've made a statement at the local cop shop, be interesting to see what comes of it.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Cripes, I've had Ferrari's swing out into me but none of that head on into death poo poo... jeez.

Renaissance Robot posted:

It's extra dumb because my following distance for moving vehicles is usually pretty good, I just let myself get too close to this guy because a) not properly accounting for rain affecting my stopping distance (to say nothing of the extra slick road we happened to be on) and b) not clocking until too late that he was stopped at a temporary roadworks traffic light, and not merely pausing to let someone turn right, and therefore not about to move off. This is like the number one cause of crash in No Prisoners (fools thinking the guy in front is going to be gone by the time they get there, except he's not) which I've watched pretty much all of, so you bet I'm pretty red in the face right now

Hindsight is always fun, I had a stupid crash a couple of weeks ago (That I haven't told anyone about :ssh: ) in the early morning, road damp from the night's rain, sun high and super bright, dog poo poo cracked to hell tarmac, with traffic backed all the way up and a prime opportunity to cut past the lot since there wasn't any incoming traffic. The only thing in the oncoming lane was a car stuck perpendicular trying to merge in and not going anywhere, I'm doing a bit less than 20mph and decide this is a prime opportunity to squeak past.

Approach car > turn and lean a bit into the gap > car jolts forwards > I tap the front brake > I take a cozy concrete sit down next to the car. Now I had my camera with me and the car left after I wheeled over to the pavement, but the only thought was "Why the gently caress didn't I just wait".

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Super Slash posted:

Cripes, I've had Ferrari's swing out into me but none of that head on into death poo poo... jeez.

Hindsight is always fun, I had a stupid crash a couple of weeks ago (That I haven't told anyone about :ssh: ) in the early morning, road damp from the night's rain, sun high and super bright, dog poo poo cracked to hell tarmac, with traffic backed all the way up and a prime opportunity to cut past the lot since there wasn't any incoming traffic. The only thing in the oncoming lane was a car stuck perpendicular trying to merge in and not going anywhere, I'm doing a bit less than 20mph and decide this is a prime opportunity to squeak past.

Approach car > turn and lean a bit into the gap > car jolts forwards > I tap the front brake > I take a cozy concrete sit down next to the car. Now I had my camera with me and the car left after I wheeled over to the pavement, but the only thought was "Why the gently caress didn't I just wait".

Funnily enough that's almost exactly one of my first crashes, except add another 20 mph and some diesel into the equation. plus me sliding like a penguin through the gap. The road was so wet and slippery that even my cheap poo poo waterproofs didn't get worn through and I slid for what felt like half an hour.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Excuse you,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnjGNJ5JL8w

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

"how to do a cockney accent"

"I'm not going to tell you how to do a cockney accent"

* doesn't actually even manage to achieve an estuary english accent

This one's better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz9_YfIQaz4

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Haha holy poo poo he still sounds posh as gently caress, 0/10 would mug for kicks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drKtozox34M&t=77s

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
Explanation and video of near miss to a deadly crash: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=451848738#post451848738

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
Apparently my camera wasn't running on my last trip. Wish it was, would've caught my pants-making GBS threads 65-mph death wobble on the highway that I somehow managed to ride through.

Taking the bike in tomorrow. Last two days the back wheel has been noticeably wobbling and the bike feels like it's jumping every few feet. Not sure what the issue is but not chancing it after tonight.

• Locked thread