Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Durinia posted:

The "xy nm" numbers have basically lost their meaning these days. The screwy design rules and the 3D elements make them essentially made-up values in many ways.

A better way to phrase this time in the industry is perhaps that the leader in fabrication technology will be the first to run headlong into the scaling "wall", which is imminent. In the intermediate time while they're trying to figure out why there are brick marks on their face, the trailer is closing the gap. Then the real fun begins when everyone is mostly stuck on the same technology node and suddenly the only way to win is making better (and/or cheaper) architectures.

Basically this. However, my comparison in density between TSMC and Intel was basically to point out exactly what you do: that node sizes can be misleading for design rule reasons (e.g. TSMC 2D vs. Intel 1D) and, as you mentioned, where the node feature size was measured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Yudo posted:

I rage their pricing, that they no longer bin but fuse,
l m a o you've got quite a world built up over there

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

What does this acronym mean? I'm assuming it means "can run at full turbo bins all the time as thermals allow", basically ignoring the TDP if you have sufficient cooling. Can this be done with a non-K CPU and and non-Z motherboard? If that's a switch I can flip on an H170 board with a 6600, then there's a value king.

MCE = Multi Core Enhancement. Basically it is an alternate turbo behaviour that has every core at the max bin. And yes, it is on H series motherboards and can be used with non-K SKUs.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

l m a o you've got quite a world built up over there

Remember when, say a P166 = a binned P200, so you could buy cheap and clock up? Or hell, when you didn't have to buy a "k" for a non-crippled chip? Or when you could SMP Celerons? I.e. when poo poo was cool? Guess not.

Yudo fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 2, 2015

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Yudo posted:

Remember when, say a P166 = a binned P200, so you could buy cheap and clock up? Or hell, when you didn't have to buy a "k" for a non-crippled chip?Or when you could SMP Celerons? E.g. when poo poo was cool? Guess not.
Please stop believing that you the overclocker in tyool 2015 are worth anything to Intel outside of publicity stunts tia

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Please stop believing that you the overclocker in tyool 2015 are worth anything to Intel outside of publicity stunts tia

The idea I'm getting at is that it is annoying that Intel has religiously segmented SKUs, go out of their way to enforce them and was using the silly "k" thing as an example. I don't give a poo poo about overclocking either and you are utterly missing the point.

VVV Mine clocked like a dream, but I had to buy the then uncommon aftermarket heat sink. My 760 i5 did as well, but my current Haswell doesn't for poo poo (relative even to other Haswells). It's luck sometimes and there are many reasons a CPU gets binned.

Edit2: Motherboards also weren't tailored in the Pentium era for l33t clockers. Some motherboards had much better power delivery than others: you chip might have been a mighty clocker, but the MB couldn't manage.

Yudo fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 2, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Yudo posted:

Remember when, say a P166 = a binned P200, so you could buy cheap and clock up?

I remember doing that and it was constantly ready to crash because it was actually binned for a reason :shrug:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Nintendo Kid posted:

I remember doing that and it was constantly ready to crash because it was actually binned for a reason :shrug:

Yeah, I thought it was a crapshoot on how stable it would be.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Yudo posted:

Remember when, say a P166 = a binned P200, so you could buy cheap and clock up? Or hell, when you didn't have to buy a "k" for a non-crippled chip? Or when you could SMP Celerons? I.e. when poo poo was cool? Guess not.
PCs also cost $2000 or more back then, margins were really high and there weren't such things as standardization or RMAs (so whoops you also have to buy a new chip AND mobo lmfao!!!) and nobody thought of making just a few SKUs and binning them into 30.

Intel now makes just 5 chips: Atom, low-voltage (4.5-15w mobile i5/"i7" -> mobile i3 -> desktop i3 -> desktop pentium/celeron) mobile, high-end (35-55w) mobile (mobile i7 -> desktop i7 -> desktop i5), low-end server (high leakage low end Xeon chips become -E series chips), high-end server, with maybe some eDRAM on the side for their Iris Pro series. Everything that doesn't work perfectly gets configured down to a lower, less efficient SKU. What you get for desktop chips these days are actually incredibly low quality high-leakage parts and it's often a miracle they work given how lovely they are (your K chips are actually hilariously inferior to every "desktop replacement" laptop chip). The fact that people pay premiums on them is Intel laughing to the bank. If AMD was actually competitive, i5s wouldn't go over $200 and non-enthusiast i7s won't go over $300. This was indeed the case with the first generation i-series, ie the last time where AMD had roughly equal price-performance-power parity.

You may get the rare freakshow T chip but it's mostly because it doesn't actually volt downwards enough to be usable for a mobile chip but still has a low enough leakage at load to actually work at 45w.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

So market segmentation had always existed but it used to be easier to do stuff you weren't supposed to so gently caress Intel?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

WhyteRyce posted:

So market segmentation had always existed but it used to be easier to do stuff you weren't supposed to so gently caress Intel?

This, except the reality is that often it wasn't easier at all, because a ton of the time the binning downward was completely justified.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Nintendo Kid posted:

This, except the reality is that often it wasn't easier at all, because a ton of the time the binning downward was completely justified.

But everyone has their own special snowflake anecdote which of course trumps everything and furthermore I'm VERY MAD because I'm CPU limited all the time on every day to do thing I do on my PC and and and and if AMD still existed then by gosh we wouldn't be in this situation and back in my day you could really clock a god damned chip for free
:corsair:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Computers are cheap as gently caress nowadays, and the 5820k is a gem, especially at the price.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
youre not ever getting a celeron 300A again loving deal with it

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

Except most desktop chips are loving terrible, leaky rejects as it is and have features fused off, not binned. The extra SMT flag and state registers on an i5 work just fine, but they have been disabled, for example.

An entire thread of people with Stockholm syndrome up in here. Intel has lost over $7 billion in mobile since 2012 and made $27 billion from the desktop--a contracting market. It's kind of important they give a reason for people to buy these things other than "the old one blew up".

Yudo fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 3, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Yudo posted:

Except most desktop chips are loving terrible, leaky rejects as it is and have features fused off, not binned. The extra SMT flag and state registers on an i5 work just fine, but they have been disabled, for example.

An entire thread of people with Stockholm syndrome up in here. Intel has lost over $7 billion in mobile since 2012 and made $27 billion from the desktop. It's kind of important they give a reason for people to buy these things other than "the old one blew up".
I hope you aren't saying I have Stockholm Syndrome because I really don't like the market situation myself either, because the mid-tier is unnecessarily more expensive than it has to be.

There was someone with a magic i5 chip that didn't have its traces fused off properly and thus had hyperthreading at random on bootup.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 3, 2015

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I hope you aren't saying I have Stockholm Syndrome because I really don't like the market situation myself either, because the mid-tier is unnecessarily more expensive than it has to be.

There was someone with a magic i5 chip that didn't have its traces fused off properly and thus had hyperthreading at random on bootup.

No, and thank you for pointing out that desktop chips (still a huge part of Intel's revenue stream) are $350 bottom of the barrel parts and I agree about the i5 and i7 line. Also lol that's great. Having SMT should be standard: it's a really great feature costing very little power.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
So what you're saying is.... we should harvest the primo chips out of high-end laptops and re-purpose them for l33t overclocking chips! Now, how to de-solder the buggers...

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

DrDork posted:

So what you're saying is.... we should harvest the primo chips out of high-end laptops and re-purpose them for l33t overclocking chips! Now, how to de-solder the buggers...
Funny you say that because Intel is coming out with an overclockable laptop SKU for Skylake :iamafag:

and it is m e g a expensive

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Mid tier CPUs are cheap. Hell all Intel chips are cheap. If you want high end over the top idiocy give ibm a call.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

Mid tier CPUs are cheap. Hell all Intel chips are cheap. If you want high end over the top idiocy give ibm a call.

Mid-tier CPUs aren't egregious, but they're certainly padded with pretty fat margins (and far fatter than in years past) because Intel has the luxury of being a defacto monopoly on everything north of "poo poo box" in the desktop market, and everything north of "Walmart special" for laptops. IBM meanwhile operates in a segment where cost-per-chip is almost irrelevant.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Funny you say that because Intel is coming out with an overclockable laptop SKU for Skylake :iamafag:

and it is m e g a expensive

What? Why (aside from extracting money from morons)? This sounds like a terrible idea and a good way to scorch one's groin.

Yudo fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Sep 3, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Yudo posted:

What? Why (aside from extracting money from morons)? This sounds like a terrible idea and a good way to scorch one's groin.
Because it's a new and unexplored "loving moron" segment!

Though, honestly I'd like to know how well those chips would scale when overclocked, because they're the (mostly) full featured high efficiency mobile chips. I'm guessing neeeeeerds would take apart the laptop chassis and put the boards in something else entirely with wacky cooling solutions.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Because it's a new and unexplored "loving moron" segment!

Though, honestly I'd like to know how well those chips would scale when overclocked, because they're the (mostly) full featured high efficiency mobile chips. I'm guessing neeeeeerds would take apart the laptop chassis and put the boards in something else entirely with wacky cooling solutions.

No need to take apart the laptop chassis, just buy one that already has a wacky cooling solution.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/2/9251275/asus-gx700-water-cooled-gaming-laptop-ifa-2015-video
http://www.windowscentral.com/asuss-new-rog-gx700-gaming-laptop-has-insane-liquid-cooling-dock

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

DrDork posted:

Mid-tier CPUs aren't egregious, but they're certainly padded with pretty fat margins (and far fatter than in years past) because Intel has the luxury of being a defacto monopoly on everything north of "poo poo box" in the desktop market, and everything north of "Walmart special" for laptops. IBM meanwhile operates in a segment where cost-per-chip is almost irrelevant.

Is price per IPC really that bad now? I think you'll find that prices for processing power has dropped and dropped. Before you reply with the factual data remember to factor in inflation.

Edit: If you want to compile a dataset I'll be more than willing to analyze it for you. I feel pretty confident it'll show processors improving a rapid pace.

champagne posting fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 3, 2015

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Yudo posted:

An entire thread of people with Stockholm syndrome up in here. Intel has lost over $7 billion in mobile since 2012 and made $27 billion from the desktop--a contracting market. It's kind of important they give a reason for people to buy these things other than "the old one blew up".

It's fine if you don't like Intel's SKU game and what features they decide which one gets, it just sounded like you were upset that Intel wasn't letting you easily unlock them with a mechanical pencil or ghetto BIOS/motherboard

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

For those times when an Alienware or Razer is just too low key.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Yudo posted:

I'm interested in contacting your world and discussing things. We should figure out if you're made of anti-matter before first contact. I think some definition alignment would help, by what process do you believe fusing is determined if not "binning"? DO you believe your bench top setup is making that "just fine" call as well as a few million dollars in test equipment?

Yudo posted:

They lost it because their verification and testing got a lot better and they can suss out speed paths and can accurately label parts? Overclockers, almost by definition avoiding paying a premium for parts, wouldn't tip this scale one way or the other.

Intel's making big bets on mobile, but I don't think you're anywhere near a clear enough understanding of the market to really discuss it if pissing off overclockers is why they didn't make a splash there.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Yudo posted:

PC enthusiasts are a tiny proportion of that $27 billion though, most of it is corporate and people who will just buy the new Intel CPU because it's the new Intel CPU rather than because it's X% faster in benchmarks. People who actually need compute performance for professional work buy Xeons which are still seeing sizable performance increases every generation. PC enthusiasts are a niche market and Intel, seeing that they have no competition in the area, made the financial decision to not really bother trying to cater to them anymore.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
It's not that you can't get more performance, you certainly can; its that a certain subset is throwing a fit that they can't get more for "free"

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Wait, so water does actually flow through the laptop using those hydraulic-style quick disconnect ports on the back? :lol:

I suppose it is more efficient to do it that way instead of, say, a conductive contact pad that connects the laptop to the water cooling system. Still I wonder how it deals with the water left in the laptop after you disconnect it from the cooling unit because having any water left in the laptop sounds like a bad idea. The while things sounds like a bad idea.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Edward IV posted:

Wait, so water does actually flow through the laptop using those hydraulic-style quick disconnect ports on the back? :lol:

I suppose it is more efficient to do it that way instead of, say, a conductive contact pad that connects the laptop to the water cooling system. Still I wonder how it deals with the water left in the laptop after you disconnect it from the cooling unit because having any water left in the laptop sounds like a bad idea. The while things sounds like a bad idea.

I believe it uses water-cooling internally as well, so it's supposed to have water left inside. But when connected to the dock, has a larger reservoir and radiator.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It's probably a hybrid ala current desktop video card hybrid coolers.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

This thread brings me endless amounts of entertainment from time to time. This is one of those times.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Skandranon posted:

I believe it uses water-cooling internally as well, so it's supposed to have water left inside. But when connected to the dock, has a larger reservoir and radiator.

I guess that kind of makes sense. It still sounds like a bad idea. And expensive. And heavy. Really heavy. God help you when you inevitably drop it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Edward IV posted:

I guess that kind of makes sense. It still sounds like a bad idea. And expensive. And heavy. Really heavy. God help you when you inevitably drop it.

If you drop it hard enough to crack an internal waterblock or line, you've already dropped it hard enough to break substantial other parts, so you're probably not substantially worse off than you would otherwise be.

But yeah, who thought that was a good idea?

Yudo
May 15, 2003

MaxxBot posted:

PC enthusiasts are a tiny proportion of that $27 billion though, most of it is corporate and people who will just buy the new Intel CPU because it's the new Intel CPU rather than because it's X% faster in benchmarks. People who actually need compute performance for professional work buy Xeons which are still seeing sizable performance increases every generation. PC enthusiasts are a niche market and Intel, seeing that they have no competition in the area, made the financial decision to not really bother trying to cater to them anymore.

Lot's of professional organizations buy i7s for workstations. Xeons are only scaling for server applications with high thread counts, though I could be quite wrong here.

People used to upgrade because a) performance got substantially better which enabled new applications and b) MOAR MHZ (e.g. Intel's P4 marketing). I am not at all confining this to enthusiasts. Slightly better battery life/performance/GPU on the same mediocre desktop experience is not going to induce people to upgrade. Intel et al. need to innovate, which, judging buy this year's IDC, they are actually doing!

JawnV6 posted:

I'm interested in contacting your world and discussing things. We should figure out if you're made of anti-matter before first contact. I think some definition alignment would help, by what process do you believe fusing is determined if not "binning"? DO you believe your bench top setup is making that "just fine" call as well as a few million dollars in test equipment?

They lost it because their verification and testing got a lot better and they can suss out speed paths and can accurately label parts? Overclockers, almost by definition avoiding paying a premium for parts, wouldn't tip this scale one way or the other.

Intel's making big bets on mobile, but I don't think you're anywhere near a clear enough understanding of the market to really discuss it if pissing off overclockers is why they didn't make a splash there.

Binning and fusing working parts off are different things.

I don't care about overclocking, rather was using it as an example of silly market segmentation. Not having an LTE modem was bad for Intel, like killer. However, Intel hemorrhaged cash in mobile because of development costs, sure, but also from massive subsidies to make their Atom chips on par price wise with ARM and induce OEMs to actually use their chips. They sell mobile Atoms at a loss and do so to keep there foot in the door. Most OEMs are happy with ARM chips and don't want a have to deal with the same sort of Intel bullshit that they do in the x86 world. Also Atoms weren't very good, but that gap is closing.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Yudo posted:

Binning and fusing working parts off are different things.
So you think there's a guy at Intel cackling madly as he fuses of functionality that would let them sell that chip at a cost premium? We've gone from comically evil to aggressively stupid. I'm not sure why you'd want someone to succeed who was so utterly spiteful.

I mean, we all know your "test" for a "working" SMT hiding behind a fuse is just a single Prime95 run that never even touched the HT core with a speedpath and cursing Intel's name because of a simplistic, shortsighted test, I'm just wondering how you make the narrative stack up.

Yudo posted:

I don't care about overclocking, rather was using it as an example of silly market segmentation. Not having an LTE modem was bad for Intel, like killer.
It's fun to see you dance all around the point without mentioning WiMax. I legitimately believe you may be from a parallel universe to the one I've generally inhabited and am curious about the customs and histories of your people. Are they the BerenstAin bears or the BerenstEin bears on your planet?

Yudo posted:

However, Intel hemorrhaged cash in mobile because of development costs, sure, but also from massive subsidies to make their Atom chips on par price wise with ARM and induce OEMs to actually use their chips. They sell mobile Atoms at a loss and do so to keep there foot in the door. Most OEMs are happy with ARM chips and don't want a have to deal with the same sort of Intel bullshit that they do in the x86 world. Also Atoms weren't very good, but that gap is closing.
All this just seems like 2011's hot take that got left in the chest freezer too long before getting reheated. Were you disappointed to see Numonyx get bought by Micron?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
What the gently caress does Intel not having an LTE modem have to do with loving ANY of this poo poo?

I'm with Jawn on this one. You've gotta be from a parallel world. Do your Vulcans have goatees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Let's just focus on the WiMax and McAfee stuff here people. I'll give Infineon a pass because it's not like anyone but Qualcomm knew what they were doing