Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Devian666 posted:

The problem I have with this is that I'll be 68 when the peak retirement population hits. I might have to expand my weapon collection.
How did you calculate this? I must also prepare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The Bad with Money thread is indeed the locus between BFC and TFR.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Russia Milsurp SKS is the way to go. Semi auto, and about $170 at Canadian Tire. A case of ammo (1300ish rounds, less if on stripper clips) runs you about that much too. Use the Canadian Tire money you get to buy a cleaning kit and you are set for any amount* of Blade Runner-esque "retirements"

* You might think that the amount would be about 1300, but it has a permanent bayonet, so have at it!

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Suspicious Lump posted:

How did you calculate this? I must also prepare

It's a New Zealand statistic for 2043 YMMV in other countries but it's likely to be in the 20-30 year range.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

All of my weapons are martial arts related rather than firearms but I'll need to get something that suits chopping off heads.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
Pretty mild Bad With Money: coworker laments at lunch that she spends more on her horse than she spends on her appartment.

It did suddenly become more relevant yesterday, when an outright tax on horses passed the court because basically the judge thought horse owners are wealthy enough to afford more taxes. :allears:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Anything that discourages the average Joe from owning a horse is fine by me.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

melon cat posted:

Words about generational wealth disparity with no solution

Keep in mind, if baby boomers make it to the guillotine, they'd insist that they couldn't have possibly seen it coming from a lifetime of having their cake and eating it, too.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Devian666 posted:

If you can deal with the NZD currency fluctuations you can get up to 3.9% here.
http://www.interest.co.nz/saving/e-saver-online

The retired population is going to keep increasing for the next 25-30 years which is going to create a huge financial burden on most western countries. That will fall on tax payers to pay for. I don't see things improving any time soon.

Yeah no kidding. And even for today's young workers the situation is more bleak. Everyone seems to think that they'll retire at 67, then die sometime in their mid-80s. So they're planning their retirement savings accordingly. But the reality is that most of us will be sucking air until we're closer to 100 years old.

Phone posted:

Keep in mind, if baby boomers make it to the guillotine, they'd insist that they couldn't have possibly seen it coming from a lifetime of having their cake and eating it, too.
Definitely. And most of them have good, well-paying jobs, many of which seemed to be created out of thin air for dubious reasons. As I've been working in professional environments and getting introduced to people in a number of industries, I've found myself thinking, "What? Your job exists? Why."

I know for a fact that once they retire, their job will also cease to exist. So the common belief of "Baby Boomers are retiring! They'll need to be replaced!" has been way overstated.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 3, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
However, having the gall to raise the minimum wage to something that allows for a few recreational things a month and being only two disasters/emergencies away from dying in the gutter is a Capital Offense, and just shows that kids these days are entitled poo poo heads who have never earned the sweat of their brow. What are you doing? Don't touch my Medicare/SS check; I need it for my new boat.

Trump 2016.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Phone posted:

However, having the gall to raise the minimum wage to something that allows for a few recreational things a month and being only two disasters/emergencies away from dying in the gutter is a Capital Offense, and just shows that kids these days are entitled poo poo heads who have never earned the sweat of their brow. What are you doing? Don't touch my Medicare/SS check; I need it for my new boat.

Trump 2016.
:911::911::911::fsmug:

Ah, America.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Not a Children posted:

Anything that discourages the average Joe from owning a horse is fine by me.

Average Johann, surely,

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
By all means, raise the minimum wage (a totally arbitrary representation of the cost of unskilled labor).

I feel slightly bad for all the minimum wagers who will lose their jobs in the short term when the cost of employing them exceeds the value they generate, but as a Gen-X with a real job and a mortgage, I'm all for the cascading inflation that will devalue the balance on my fixed-rate jumbo loan and make my house payment the equivalent of a large pizza*.

Remember, kiddos: Raising the minimum wage is t about helping the poor. It's about pandering to the stupid to buy their votes.

* which will be made and delivered by robots

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

High Lord Elbow posted:

By all means, raise the minimum wage (a totally arbitrary representation of the cost of unskilled labor).

I feel slightly bad for all the minimum wagers who will lose their jobs in the short term when the cost of employing them exceeds the value they generate, but as a Gen-X with a real job and a mortgage, I'm all for the cascading inflation that will devalue the balance on my fixed-rate jumbo loan and make my house payment the equivalent of a large pizza*.

Remember, kiddos: Raising the minimum wage is t about helping the poor. It's about pandering to the stupid to buy their votes.

* which will be made and delivered by robots

Poe's Law is weird, man.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Less D&D, more reddit horror stories/people who really need therapy:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/3j1ti1/21_broken_manchild_over_100k_in_debt_who_needs/ posted:

Hi /r/personalfinance, let me start this post by thanking any of you who offer help. I first want to say that I'm not looking for pity points. I expect most of you to find my lifestyle abhorrent, but I'm just going to tell you what I'm experiencing. I'm the man-child in question, and need finance advice (and a kick in the rear end) for my poor decisions and poor outlook on life. TL;DR near the bottom.

I enrolled in a private pharmacy school's undergraduate program when I was 17, and got myself into this situation. I had below average grades in high school (due to lethargy) and was accepted because of my high SAT and ACT scores. This led me to being accepted without any scholarships or grants. Being naive, I was led to believe that it was normal to not get any scholarships, and that $40k a year tuition was also normal. My parents told me there was nothing to worry about, and that once I became a pharmacist the debt would be gone in years. My parents have awful credit and nobody else would co-sign, so I've taken out 8 different loans (2 from the government each year and 2 from private companies each year). The government loans are around 4% and the private loans (which represent a majority of my debt) are around 8.5%.

So, a bit about myself, I'm not a normal person. I suffer from extreme anxiety, which, these days, keeps me at home for months. I don't have a driver's license because I'm horrified of driving and being in cars, which means I don't have a job. I didn't make any friends in college, which left me depressed. I ended up broken, completely given up on life, and over $80k in debt after two years of college. I dropped out without a degree and loan payments began without any real savings. I quickly lost what little I had saved through loan payments and defaulted. The only thing keeping me off the streets and alive is my parent's generosity. I live with them and they provide everything for me, rent free.

So, there's my situation. I'm massively in debt and at a disadvantage. I have little to no marketable skills, no job experience, no driver's license, and I feel like there's no way out. I feel like there's nothing I could do to lead a good life. Even if I managed to get a full-time minimum wage job (which is $18,200 annually in my state), I would be 27 before I had a dollar to spend, and that's not including interest. The idea of working 40 hours a week for a quarter of my life before I can save money is debilitating.

Some light at the end of the tunnel is something I need to change for the better. This is where you kind people can come in. I don't know how to do anything in terms of finance, so I need some guidance. A goal, or a general plan, or some advice that I can work with is what I need. And finally, as sad as this is to admit, I'm not sure I'm willing to put in the hard work. I don't know if it will be worth it to keep living. My future right now is that I will end up homeless and dead after my "nest egg" runs out, and I'd really appreciate a plan to change this.

TL;DR I'm $100k in student debt, without a degree or job. I'm terrified of driving and don't have a driver's license because of this. I'm asking for a plan to lead a normal life, financially.

So, first thing I want to ask is if there is any way for me to have my debts forgiven. This is going to sound childish, but I feel as if I've been tricked into this debt. I was stupid and naive and it's entirely my fault, but I feel no obligation to return this money. I blindly listened to my parents and college staff and didn't understand what I was agreeing to. The loan companies gladly accepted my debt, and I have no help other than the extreme generosity of my parents. I've learned that bankruptcy forgives everything but student dept (how convenient), so that's not an option, even though I am very clearly in that category. Is statute of limitations real? Could I have my debts forgiven in 6 years (the value for my state) if I continue to default?

If not, I need a plan that I can actually follow, given my pathetic situation. Is there any way to earn a living from home? Is it possible for me to get out of debt? If so, can I do it before I'm 40? Will I be able to save money? Once I acquire a steady income, how should I go about paying off my debts, and how much of my paycheck can I expect to be withheld by the government/loan shark companies? I'll be answering questions if you need more information about me to better help. Please try to keep the abuse to a minimum, I know I'm a lovely person..

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this, and thanks in advance for any guidance you may offer me.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Haifisch posted:

His valve can't be so agitated that he can't find work at Levy Pants or a local hot dog vendor or something

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Haifisch posted:

Dude wants to default on all the loans and just pay garnishment ... forever.

Chubberbun posted:

From reading your post and comments in this thread I disagree with most posters here. I think you're clearly lazy and have an attitude that will guarantee your failure at anything you do. To secure your personal finances, I think you should go on welfare and get whatever free money from the government you can. I don't think you'll make it if you try the things other posters are recommending

Reddit OP posted:

Okay, and do you know how one goes about that? How much you earn, and what you need to do to qualify?

Chubberbun posted:

Lol Jesus man, you can't even sign up for welfare on your own. Idk man, I work for a living

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

pig slut lisa posted:

His valve can't be so agitated that he can't find work at Levy Pants or a local hot dog vendor or something

I do declare, this is a good post.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Wow that guy is just the laziest hosed ever. Everyone should go read it.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
The guy literally does not want to work because it would go towards paying off his debts.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
A whole bunch of bad with money, and extremely lovely sports franchises:

http://ble.ac/1N5zXjS

Snippet:

quote:

The Redskins, Butts said, offered him a settlement under which he would pay $32,000 and the team would take back the tickets. He agreed but ended up not being able to make the payments, he said.

The Redskins went back to court and won a judgment for the full six years, plus interest and legal fees: $209,351. Butts said he cannot afford to pay it.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I only read a brief snipped of that reddit 100K in debt guy and holy crap that is ugly piled on top of more ugly.

I have considered a few things and decided I will share how I was BWM. I learned last year of the GoPro IPO and had never attempted to ever purchase a single stock before. I saw that it was supposed to be pretty easy to do with that online trader LOYAL3 they were using. You could even use your debit/credit card to load up your account and just say "I want $100 worth of stock X". Seeing what some tech stocks like Netflix had done over the past few years and knowing the shares were to be less than $30 I thought "Why not?". I have used GoPro products for a while and really like them. I talked to my wife and we made the agreement that we were willing to kiss off $500 and see what happens in a year. So I signed up and loaded my account. Because of the IPO being so big I initially only got about $150 worth of stock, but my account was still loaded up with the other ~$350. GoPro stock hadn't gone up a ton so I just signed the rest of the money on to it. I watched it with excitement over the next month or so, and at one point my $500 had become just over $1000. I have watched the price come down over the last year with the current price at about $40/share leaving my initial $500 at the time of this post $423.62.

I will probably just not touch it and leave it in there for another year, or if I get slightly ahead of break even maybe I will pull it out. While $500 is not a small amount of money, it is a small percentage of our income/net worth and part of the Tuition Of Life that nothing replaces smart choices and showing up and going to work. I was bad with money and will continue to invest in growth stock mutual funds via Roth IRA's.

Even writing this down makes me think "Yeah but...you should just leave it in there for another two years, because maybe it will be worth 1500 or 2000 from now". What a stupid thought.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I did a similar thing. I bought a bunch of JetBlue stock about ten years ago. Immediately after I bought it they had a series of PR crises, and eventually the president resigned.

The problem is, I didn't know if I should sell it. I realized that I didn't buy it for any good reason, so I didn't have any good reason to sell. If I had bought it based on the fundamentals, then I'd know that I should sell if the fundamentals changed.

I still have it. It's just sitting there, in an unused brokerage account that doesn't generate fees.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Somewhat Heroic posted:

[Go Pro stock talk]
Personally, I wouldn't call that BWM. It's not like you dumped all of your savings in a single stock based on some third-hand information you overheard at a water cooler (I've seen this many times. It never ends well). You put a small amount of money in a company you liked. And it sounds like it was a learning experience for you. The only thing you didn't do was set a price target for yourself, and even sticking to that target takes a lot of discipline.

You know who was bad with money? Most of the people on this forum who bet everything on GTAT, and when anyone raised doubts about the shares all of the posters shouted them down. I think we even followed this train-wreck in an earlier part of this thread. A whole lot of people just jumped onto the hype train despite knowing nothing about GTAT.

Yeah. That is bad with money.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 3, 2015

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I will probably just not touch it and leave it in there for another year, or if I get slightly ahead of break even maybe I will pull it out. While $500 is not a small amount of money, it is a small percentage of our income/net worth and part of the Tuition Of Life that nothing replaces smart choices and showing up and going to work. I was bad with money and will continue to invest in growth stock mutual funds via Roth IRA's.

Even writing this down makes me think "Yeah but...you should just leave it in there for another two years, because maybe it will be worth 1500 or 2000 from now". What a stupid thought.

You realize that there will come a time when your IRA will fall by 50% and proceed to triple within a few years, right? The market tends to do that once a decade or so. Blindly jumping into a stock because you like their product is pretty BWM, but so is not being able to stomach market volatility.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Gabriel Pope posted:

You realize that there will come a time when your IRA will fall by 50% and proceed to triple within a few years, right? The market tends to do that once a decade or so. Blindly jumping into a stock because you like their product is pretty BWM
Eh, I'm going to disagree. Because if you really believe in a company and the product they sell (and assuming you've done your own homework on the company itself) and plan on investing in them for the long term, that's not necessarily a bad basis upon which buy some of their stock. Just as long as you're not going all-in, and trying to make some quick, easy money.

But you are right about volatility. Nobody should jump into the stock markets if they can't stomach volatility. Because even blue-chip stocks can go through sustained, rough periods.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Gabriel Pope posted:

You realize that there will come a time when your IRA will fall by 50% and proceed to triple within a few years, right? The market tends to do that once a decade or so. Blindly jumping into a stock because you like their product is pretty BWM, but so is not being able to stomach market volatility.

Oh yes I do understand that. The analogy that resonates with me is the market like a roller coaster with ups and downs, but at the end of the ride you should have a good time. Again we're talking about $500, which is a fraction of a percentage of our income. It was BWM and that's what this thread is for. Honestly I keep the fact that I put $500 actual dollars into funny money out in the world because I like GoPro and their products to myself.

Real talk: should the value of my money increase to say $700 I'll probably jump out and spend it on a gun. :getin: at that will probably hold value better

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Real talk: should the value of my money increase to say $700 I'll probably jump out and spend it on a gun. :getin: at that will probably hold value better

Timing matters in gun pricing too. There were a ton of people who bought Evil Black Rifles right after the Newtown massacre a couple years ago when everyone was panicking and thinking those guns were going to be banned, and the prices shot up 2-3x from what they were before. Now the same guns are selling for even lower than they were before the panic.

Buy guns because you want to shoot them, not because you think they're an investment.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
And do shoot guns. It is fun

(I am not an accurate person)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Craptacular posted:

Buy guns because you want to shoot them, not because you think they're an investment.

Without further detailing a TFR discussion it's because I would like a carbine rifle to shoot/compliment my side arm. It would just be a Palmetto State kit which aren't very spendy to start with, hence the $700 target lol.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
The recent market turmoil is really the first time I have been keeping a retirement fund and hit a dip. I will say, the psychology of seeing $2000+ suddenly go away is tough to swallow when in practice (and I don't have that much).

The good lesson is that it has already recovered a good bit, but I can understand joe why some people panic and pull it. Not that I would, but I at least can relate now.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
^^The recent dip confirmed my assumption that I have a very high risk tolerance and it didn't phase me. I'm just mildly sad I didn't have spare funds to invest last Tuesday!

Craptacular posted:

Timing matters in gun pricing too. There were a ton of people who bought Evil Black Rifles right after the Newtown massacre a couple years ago when everyone was panicking and thinking those guns were going to be banned, and the prices shot up 2-3x from what they were before. Now the same guns are selling for even lower than they were before the panic.

But my prepper/gun friends insist they're a great investment! Ironically when the same folks need cash, they have to spend time finding a buyer for their gun vs just having cash...

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

SiGmA_X posted:

But my prepper/gun friends insist they're a great investment! Ironically when the same folks need cash, they have to spend time finding a buyer for their gun vs just having cash...

Nothing like selling your guns for less than you paid a true investment. The same for gold as the spot price is around the 2010 price now before someone started large scale market manipulation.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

SiGmA_X posted:

^^The recent dip confirmed my assumption that I have a very high risk tolerance and it didn't phase me. I'm just mildly sad I didn't have spare funds to invest last Tuesday!
Hey man, I've got some cash on hand, can you shoot me a PM the next time the market is about to rebound? Thx.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Easychair Bootson posted:

Hey man, I've got some cash on hand, can you shoot me a PM the next time the market is about to rebound? Thx.

I think you misread his post.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
You want to hear a bad with money stock story. When I had to do my student teaching in 2010 I was looking at 3 months with no income. So I sold all my stock, $2,000 worth - at a pretty good 50% profit. Wanna hear what I sold?

Apple at $80 a share and Netflix at $50 a share.

Yeah.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Desuwa posted:

I think you misread his post.
I'm on my fourth drink so you're gonna have to spell it out for me

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Gabriel Pope posted:

Investing in individual stocks is BWM in general. If you ask people whose job is to pick stocks for a living how they invest their own money, they will all tell you, "Low-cost index funds or ETFs".

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

SiGmA_X posted:

What percent of your income do you have in the markets? I have about 5 years of gross income in there and it scared the poo poo out of me (to lose half a year's gross income in 2 weeks). I didn't do anything but still.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Krispy Kareem posted:

You want to hear a bad with money stock story. When I had to do my student teaching in 2010 I was looking at 3 months with no income. So I sold all my stock, $2,000 worth - at a pretty good 50% profit. Wanna hear what I sold?

Apple at $80 a share and Netflix at $50 a share.

Yeah.

Nobody ever went broke taking profits. You did what you had to in order to survive, and came out ahead of what you invested. I'd call that a win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Evil Robot posted:

What percent of your income do you have in the markets? I have about 5 years of gross income in there and it scared the poo poo out of me (to lose half a year's gross income in 2 weeks). I didn't do anything but still.
Way less. About 50%. I'm a poor, working on changing that. I guess we'll see how I feel in a few years once the amount is much higher, but I'm pretty sure it won't phase me... Time will tell!

• Locked thread