Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Mortimer posted:

Keep in mind the average age of AC players is relatively low. Many trusting adolescents had their cartridges/DS's permanently bricked because someone offered them free in-game money.

Getting an early lesson in web safety almost makes this grief sound pro-social (minus the 'actually being able to destroy their hardware' part).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snipermonkey
Jun 30, 2010

Sanctum posted:

The scary hackers are the ones in DS2. I ran into one that was speedhacking with claws that instantly broke all of my equipment.

When I was still playing ds2 a few months back there was still a hacker using this same cheat and who invaded me multiple times. Only thing I could do to grief back was to run to the boss door and waste his time by hiding there so he had to search for me. When he found me I just walked through the fog gate to send him back.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Bait and Swatch posted:

That's some awesome outside-the-box griefing. I assume they fixed this, or is it still possible?
I have no idea if it was ever fixed or not, I don't even have the PC version of GTA V (and haven't played it since around launch anyways). But yeah I was wondering to myself "Okay, what stupidity induced end result is this leading up to?" When I first read the Money Guns thing, because I was hoping it'd be something aside from "Haha, lazy cheater detection systems"

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Foxhound posted:

I especially liked rogues in early World of Warcraft that dueled healers and said "you can't heal though that's cheating."

Speaking of dueling healers, I unintentionally ended up griefing a bunch of people with the help of a Paladin. I was just chilling with a group of random people waiting for a boss mob to spawn and got challenged to a friendly duel. Five minutes later people were yelling at us to stop. The Paladin was specced as a tank which meant that he could mitigate/heal most of the damage I was able to do in addition to having a good 300k or so more HP than I did. I was specced for solo play which meant that I healed for a good chunk of HP every second and had a tough pet animal with a bag of tricks in exchange for slightly lower damage. The end result was us jumping around spamming skills with annoying sound clips and being utterly unable to actually hurt each other no matter what we did. Every few seconds it would be *whoosh* *thud* *CHOMP* *animal noises* *CLANG* followed by something along the lines of "omg pls stop" (we didn't). And since they had to wait for the mob and pay attention they couldn't just leave. We only quit fighting when it spawned.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Foxhound posted:

I especially liked rogues in early World of Warcraft that dueled healers and said "you can't heal though that's cheating."

I had an absolute crazy amount of potions in Vanilla through Wrath since I was friends with a dude who made very, very large amounts of money cornering the alchemy market. I generally never bothered duelling, but whenever some idiot would randomly challenge me, I'd generally accept, pop all the elixirs I could, and then use potions. The amount of rage that I got for the simple act of burning through consumables that I was getting for free was enormous. Apparently I had no skill or honor for using potions to beat people with higher end PvP gear than I had, who knew?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sanctum posted:

Are there other online games plagued by hackers with similar amounts of game-destroying power?

There was a time when a there was an ability in everquest that could crash the entire zone.

Monks and rogues got an alternate advancement ability (aa) when AAs were first implemented thay allowed either to, for 10 seconds riposte every single incoming hit making them able to tank anything for 10 seconds. Riposte was simply a replacement of a hit and turn it back to the attacker with an attack of their own.

Looked sweet.

The issue was the devs didnt count on two players dueling and both activating the aa at the same time.

An attack turned into a riposte which was then riposted which then riposted back and then continued being bounced until someone stopped riposting. The server could not handle processing the thousands upon thousands of attacks happening every second and would blow out the entire cluster handling that server. That means it dropped everyone to character select while the GM ran around screaming behind the scenes until the cluster was restarted which could take up to an hour.I

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Polka_Rapper posted:

Speaking of dueling healers, I unintentionally ended up griefing a bunch of people with the help of a Paladin. I was just chilling with a group of random people waiting for a boss mob to spawn and got challenged to a friendly duel. Five minutes later people were yelling at us to stop. The Paladin was specced as a tank which meant that he could mitigate/heal most of the damage I was able to do in addition to having a good 300k or so more HP than I did. I was specced for solo play which meant that I healed for a good chunk of HP every second and had a tough pet animal with a bag of tricks in exchange for slightly lower damage. The end result was us jumping around spamming skills with annoying sound clips and being utterly unable to actually hurt each other no matter what we did. Every few seconds it would be *whoosh* *thud* *CHOMP* *animal noises* *CLANG* followed by something along the lines of "omg pls stop" (we didn't). And since they had to wait for the mob and pay attention they couldn't just leave. We only quit fighting when it spawned.

Two of my friends once dueled each other. One was a shadow priest (mostly damage over time) and the other a restoration druid (mostly healing over time). It took 40 minutes, 30 of which was spent trying to convince them to just loving stop.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Foxhound posted:

Two of my friends once dueled each other. One was a shadow priest (mostly damage over time) and the other a restoration druid (mostly healing over time). It took 40 minutes, 30 of which was spent trying to convince them to just loving stop.

But who won?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

EVIR Gibson posted:

There was a time when a there was an ability in everquest that could crash the entire zone.

Speaking of crash bugs in MMOs, I'll call back here to City of Heroes. So one of the game's archtypes was the Mastermind, a dedicated pet class. You could summon a small horde of minions of your choice that did your bidding - soldiers, zombies, demons, etc. One of them was summoning a bunch of robot drones to shoot things with obscene amounts of lasers, missiles and the like.

One of the cute little things you could do was force your pets to do emotes like a player, so you could make your zombies dance to Thriller or have your soldiers read the newspaper during downtime.

Just after a patch that added a few new emotes and tweaked some older ones, there was a sudden bout of entire zones crashing. It was a huge mystery for a good two weeks until some experimenting players figured it out: a robotics Mastermind was having their first-level drones do the thumbs up emote. The robots didn't have thumbs. The game didn't know how to process this and crashed the zone as it tried to render the unrenderable. The drones were patched to have invisible thumb 'bones' a few days later.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Nickiepoo posted:

But who won?

I don't remember, it was 10 years ago. But probably the priest as he did damage.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
The answer is nobody. Nobody won :(

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

All this WoW dueling talk reminds me of my favorite vanilla grief that I found in that game. A quick important note: PVP deaths would not cause you to lose item durability, which was a big deal because if you were a level 60 with good gear, repairs were INCREDIBLY expensive. And there weren't any dailies or anything else other than incredibly terrible farming, managing to corner a market (obviously very hard to do unless you already have a lot of gold), or endlessly running dungeons and hoping you don't die as a way to make money.

So back in early vanilla I played a priest, before the complete talent/skills revamp, so they weren't really great at anything involving solo combat, meaning you had to get clever to win duels and the like. One way I figured out was to cast a couple DoTs that were available to me and then mind control my "enemy" and just make them stand there while they ticked out. For those who don't know, how a duel worked in WoW is that when one of the participants took "lethal" damage the game would end the duel and leave them at 1 hp. But when you controlled someone through mind control the game treated them as your "pet" and removed that flag. Somehow this also removed the flag that said the damage they were taking was PVP damage and treated it as from the environment or a monster, meaning that if they took lethal damage, it not only outright killed them instead of leaving them at 1HP, but it took 10% of their equipment durability as well. Got a lot of amused whispers when they actually died that turned sour really fast when they realized that they also took durability damage.

Another fun thing to do was to mind control people and jump them off a cliff but most people weren't dumb enough to duel a priest near one.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 2, 2015

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I always liked dueling people while waiting for a zeppelin/boat and then mind control them to make them jump off just as it departed.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

As a Paladin you got this ability that would cause another friendly player to become invincible for 30 seconds, also causing monsters to instantly become completely unaware of them. This ability also killed you, but without causing any durability damage, so if you were on some big bad boss and the tank died you could use this spell to kill yourself to save on repair costs, and if you had another player with a resurrection ability you could cast it on them and hopefully save a bunch of time, since monsters would reset and you'd already have someone in the dungeon to resurrect everyone else

But you could also grief with this ability by simply using it mid-fight. Sometimes during a 10-man raid if I was feeling bored I'd just cast this out of nowhere in the middle of a fight, which would probably kill everyone in the instance except for the person that I cast it on (and sometimes even them if they tried to salvage the situation by manually deactivating the invulnerability).

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

And in Knights of the Old Republic some classes had an ability that would either pull friendly players toward you or push them away. So mid-dungeon if someone went AFK near an edge they might wind up getting thrown or pulled in for laughs

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

QuarkJets posted:

But you could also grief with this ability by simply using it mid-fight. Sometimes during a 10-man raid if I was feeling bored I'd just cast this out of nowhere in the middle of a fight, which would probably kill everyone in the instance except for the person that I cast it on (and sometimes even them if they tried to salvage the situation by manually deactivating the invulnerability).

One of my friends played a paladin and found that the 100% best way to do this was to use it on the tank since a lot of raid bosses couldn't be taunted and it completely dropped your threat to zero, making it nigh impossible to ever get aggro back.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

And in Knights of the Old Republic some classes had an ability that would either pull friendly players toward you or push them away. So mid-dungeon if someone went AFK near an edge they might wind up getting thrown or pulled in for laughs

On Tatooine, there was this balloon that took a tortuous 40 minutes to traverse a loop around the Dune Sea. But if you collected datacrons, you *had* to ride that balloon for 30 minutes to get to the top of a wrecked sand crawler. And you couldn't go AFK because that could make you fall from the balloon so you had to more or less pay attention so you wouldn't time out into AFK. There was only one location to get on the balloon and you had about a 2 to 3 second window to get on board (you also had a 2 or 3 second windows to jump onto the sand crawler as well).

My favorite thing was to play a stealth class, wait until they had just boarded the balloon and Force Pull them off. They'd have to wait another 40 minutes or so for another chance.

Another variation is when the two factions would have a semi-official truce to allow the balloon to ferry Sith and Republic alike to the datacron. So of course I'd wait until *just* before the jump off point and use a throw attack on other faction members to chuck them off, wasting a 30 min ride.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The balloon itself sounds like the devs griefing the players. Who thought that was a good idea?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 2, 2015

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Griefing players who want to play 'collect all the things' mini-games in MMOs is a noble pursuit as both a player and a dev.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

flosofl posted:

On Tatooine, there was this balloon that took a tortuous 40 minutes to traverse a loop around the Dune Sea. But if you collected datacrons, you *had* to ride that balloon for 30 minutes to get to the top of a wrecked sand crawler. And you couldn't go AFK because that could make you fall from the balloon so you had to more or less pay attention so you wouldn't time out into AFK. There was only one location to get on the balloon and you had about a 2 to 3 second window to get on board (you also had a 2 or 3 second windows to jump onto the sand crawler as well).

But...why?!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Making tons of collectibles is different than forcing players to wait/sit on a transport for 30 minutes doing nothing.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

rydiafan posted:

But...why?!

Because it's not worth anything if it doesn't take an unreasonable amount of time wrapped up in an unfun task or, better yet, standing around.

This is MMORPG Development 101!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RatHat posted:

The balloon itself sounds like the devs griefing the players. Who could thought that was a good idea?

Tatooine was a PvP world too. I hated that balloon until I realized the possibilities. As more people realized what a perfect ambush spot that was, you had to team up with a bunch of Guildies to successfully complete the ride. There ended up being major skirmishes at that one little map location for control of the balloon for that rotation.

What started as a little griefing, ended up becoming a fun thing on the server I was on. Until the populations started to plummet and everyone moved over to GW2. Which is all about loving up the PvE "-trains" (Champ-trains, Karma-trains, Event-trains...). The Map Rage in GW2 is awesome. Especially Goonsquad with the Tequatl event or SFD in general.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

WoW was ripe with griefing back in the day. I miss some of it, but after leveling something like 7 characters to 85 after I got an email that my account had been banned for hacking (I had stopped playing) and noticed that the hackers bought me cataclysm, I came back and got my account unbanned. It also let me get those characters up to that high. After getting 7 characters to 85, I was like "What the gently caress am I doing with my life?" and quit. It's kind of like my old guild leader who said "I'm gonna go make a sandwich" and quit for 6 months.

One of the things I remember most was back in Vanilla where I figured out that stoneform (dwarf ability) made it so that you could negate blind which rogues did during duels to get out of combat and go back invisible so that they could do their bigger damage attacks. I got a few hacking accusations from that, and Swifty was starting to get really popular with using in game items to do a lot of stuff that helped break a lot of stuns and what not. It was interesting, and changed warrior duels who were pretty much looked at like a free win at that point.

Attacking cities was by far the best fun I had besides open world PVP, that actually existed in Vanilla, especially when it turned into a huge guild war because someone was camping someone else, they brought in friends and did it back, who brought in their friends, ad naseum.

One of the biggest griefs has been covered but it was mailbox sitting. Nothing caused quite so much rage as it did when people couldn't open the mailbox because a giant loving mammoth was sitting on it. There were mailboxes all over the place but they had to have that particular one for some reason.

My personal favorite had to do with snowballs. Snowballs came out during Alterac Valley and were mounds of snow on the ground. It only happened around Christmas time, but you would gather some up, and then throw it at someone. Since it didn't do damage you could throw it at allies. Things to keep in mind though, the Alliance spawns on top of a cliff and has to traverse a path on that cliff to go forward. And the snowballs had knockback in them, so if you got hit, you got flung a good 20-30 feet away.

You can see where this is going. I got a lot of hate messages from it, and Blizzard eventually made it so that knock back only applied to enemies or removed it completely.

alternative griefing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qsX-9JZsS8

Daniel from SL and DayZ.

One of my favorite ones from Ceremor (the weird psycho sounding dude) with a triva game! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvvO4jFby4Q

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The most fun with snowballs was to use them on people who were already losing a fight as they tried to cross the bridge to the Alliance's home base. Added insult to injury.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

IcePhoenix posted:

Another fun thing to do was to mind control people and jump them off a cliff but most people weren't dumb enough to duel a priest near one.
That's why I loved engineering. You got access to a lot of weird things people didn't expect you to have. People knew not to duel priests on airships, but never expected to face a hunter with a mind control helmet. Or getting a ganker who wants to kill you so bad that he'll follow you off a cliff, only to crater a hundred feet below as you float slowly down on your parachute cloak.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

My favorite WoW PVP moment's basically a reverse-grief. It was during the Cataclysm expansion and I was doing some gathering as a Hunter. An enemy Warlock comes after me while I'm mining and puts my pet to sleep. I then proceed to kill him. It was a weird choice because pets didn't do most of my damage. Since I've never been much of a PVPer, I'm rather nervous he'll call some friends over to gank me. I fly off and continue mining only for him to stumble upon me again. This time he puts me to sleep and proceeds to try and steal my mining node. However, my pet aggroed onto him because he slept me and it keeps interupting him. He makes a few half-hearted attempts to get the pet off of him while trying to finish mining but nothing works and he basically wastes the entire attempt because the sleep wore off and then I killed him.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Sounds like another dope who rolled on a PVP server because of friends, not because they wanted to PVP :v:

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
If you dueled Enchanters in everquest back in the day, they could mind control you and make you attack a guard and die , or do whatever

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I played a warlock back in WoW classic, and back then there was an unfinished zone called Mt. Hyjal that was on one of the continents but was walled off on all sides and protected with more invisible walls to keep players from getting into it. For those not too familiar with WoW or WarCraft III, this was the place where the final battle of WC3 took place, with a big World Tree that you had to defend against waves of enemies. Eventually the game added a raid zone and later a full-fledged raid zone out of it, but back when the game launched the zone was unfinished and was basically an empty spot on the continent map. This was before flying mounts, so you couldn't just fly over the mountains and into the zone either. You could, however, wall-jump into the zone and clip through some of the invisible walls if you knew the right spot to do it, so it was possible for players to get into the zone, ride around and view the unfinished and unpopulated landscape.

The warlock class had a few useful utility abilities that other classes at the time didn't have, the ones relevant for this story being summoning and water breathing. If you had a warlock and two other players grouped with him, the three of you could perform a ritual to bring a fourth player (or as many as you had resources for) to your location from anywhere in the world. The water breathing buff is just what it sounds like: it gave players water breathing for 10 minutes to keep them from drowning.

One day I went to the zone with a few people who knew how to get in. We did some tricky jumping and eventually got into the zone, rode around and explored for a while after summoning more of our guild members. Within the zone we found the World Tree, and right next to the World Tree we found a pool of water. I gave us water breathing and we jumped in the pool to see what was at the bottom. Turns out the bottom was a long way straight down, and we would have drowned without the buff. In fact, it was so deep that a player summoned to the bottom wouldn't have enough time to make it to the surface...

So naturally we swam down there and had one of our other guild members head to Ironforge, the biggest player hub at the time, and advertise that we were summoning people to Mt. Hyjal, this mysterious and secret zone that nobody could get to by regular means. And when they joined our group, we summoned them right to the bottom of the pool and then kicked them out again. They'd look around for a good five seconds or so, realize belatedly what was up, and frantically try to swim to the surface with no luck.

The beauty in this grief was the way that resurrection worked in the game. Like another post just mentioned, each death cost 10% durability to all equipped items that player had. But on top of that, when you died in the game you'd spawn as a ghost in the nearest graveyard, and to come back to life you either had to walk back to your corpse OR you could talk to the ghost at the graveyard and he'd resurrect you for another 25% durability. If you did the ghost resurrection you'd be dropped down to 25% of all your stats too: HP, MP, armor, damage, etc. for ten minutes. Essentially ten minutes where you couldn't do anything but wait for the debuff to go away.

There was no graveyard in the zone we summoned players to and it was impossible for them to run back to their bodies from the graveyard two zones away. We probably got about 50-60 people that way.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 3, 2015

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

In WOW there were a number of dungeons that had a long fall into water, and without fail there would always be some guy who would cast Water Walking on someone else mid-fall. Hilarious way to die

rydiafan posted:

But...why?!

What, you don't remember the big Tatooine balloon that Luke rode around on during A New Hope? That's how he got those power converters

It's in the Blu Ray Wookie-Stamped Special Yoda-Yodel Edition

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I miss jumping into glitched areas like that. I loved trying to climb and see where I would end up. ZG, and Stormwibd were normal, on top of the small people starting zone too. I actually got temp banned for that one because I ended up stuck and a GM caught me.

The best trap was doing random raids (trial?). I can't remember the name but it was level 80, and the end boss had you fall through the floor. While falling, casting water walking on someone caused them to hit the water. As a death Knight, you could do that in an AoE effect and get the majority of your team.

In wow you can click buffs off of you if you don't want them, like water walking. Except AoE effects like the DK's water walk.

I caused a lot of angry wipes.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
I used to grief myself on WoW PVP servers by attacking dudes without realizing I was in the vicinity of neutral guards. This happened several times. It was pretty embarrassing.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Worst wow grief? Play a hunter and then try to do PVP. Watch as you never have any money ever again. Who the gently caress thought tying that much money to your attacks was a good idea?

Well done to whatever dev thought that up.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

John Quixote posted:

I used to grief myself on WoW PVP servers by attacking dudes without realizing I was in the vicinity of neutral guards. This happened several times. It was pretty embarrassing.

Yeah, that was thing in SWOTR on PVP worlds. The best thing was catching players from the other faction with your guildies set up in a "Force Pull relay" to basically yank the guy into the range of the OP NPCs at the bases. If you had enough people, you could have a relay go a fairly good distance out from the base.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

dogstile posted:

Worst wow grief? Play a hunter and then try to do PVP. Watch as you never have any money ever again. Who the gently caress thought tying that much money to your attacks was a good idea?

Well done to whatever dev thought that up.

Details? All I remember from hunter pvp was in vanilla, hiding on cliffs near horde towns in contested zones, and mind controlling my cat in to murder lowbies from afar.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yep I did the same thing with my hunter alt. It didn't work all the time, but occasionally I'd go to the Barrens (one of the bigger Horde starting zones) and tame one of the local birds called Plainstriders as one of my pets. I'd name him "Plainstrider" and leave him hanging around the Barrens quest hub, until some hapless noob ran across the bird and tried to kill it as part of their quest. That'd flag them as PvP ready and then I'd swoop in for the gank.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Magres posted:

Details? All I remember from hunter pvp was in vanilla, hiding on cliffs near horde towns in contested zones, and mind controlling my cat in to murder lowbies from afar.

Ammo

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Magres posted:

Its literally just how much ammo costs to fire. Playing hunter and trying to make enough money for gear was a self grief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Selling attacks of 100 ammo at the price of 1000 ammo to players who didn't notice that the stack said 100 instead of 1000 was pretty great.

• Locked thread