Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I took some screenshots from random pubbies in the thread because I couldn't find any screenshots with damaged E's to photoshop :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Velius posted:

Why are ranked battles not available, if they added the game mode in?

If you're in game name is the same as your name here its because you have to be level 9 and you're only 8 at the moment. Also the season doesnt start for another 2 weeks apparently.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Finally got the Fuso B. Now maybe this thing will stop being so goddamn painful.

Also, the bridge tower looks like a goddamn jenga tower.

Holy poo poo did that make a difference. I just soloed two Nagatos, goddamn.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Sep 3, 2015

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

The new torpedoes on the Sims are great!
...great for tricking me into using them and then getting into a close range brawl with multiple battleships. At least the improved action time on smoke is wonderful.

but wargaming
WARGAMING

WHY LIMITED USES ON DD DEFENSIVE FIRE? AND YOU CUT 10 SECONDS OFF TOO
WARGAMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING

oh well, I'm really enjoying this patch. Might have to change my opinion on Superintendent for DDs, as Defensive Fire +1 charge is going to be REALLY useful, and more smoke is good. I hate to drop doubloons on a respec, but its looking pretty drat nice for US DDs to have (and I probably need to change Aiming Expert to Torpedo Expert too with the Benson's insane traverse).

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Night10194 posted:

Finally got the Fuso B. Now maybe this thing will stop being so goddamn painful.

Also, the bridge tower looks like a goddamn jenga tower.

Holy poo poo did that make a difference. I just soloed two Nagatos, goddamn.

The B hull is so much better, as well as giving you armor, AA and a massive range increase which isn't listed ingame, it flips one of the midship turrets around so you can keep more guns on target when engaging off either side of your bow.

I can't wait for the Nelson class, being able to easily swap between forward quarters when moving into an engagement is going to be really tactically useful.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Hazdoc posted:

WHY LIMITED USES ON DD DEFENSIVE FIRE? AND YOU CUT 10 SECONDS OFF TOO

Apparently all defensive fire is limited uses now - I saw this on reddit confirmed for the Yubari and someone claimed it was so on the Cleveland too, but my client refuses to work so I can't verify it.

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Sep 3, 2015

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Desiderata posted:

I can't wait for the Nelson class, being able to easily swap between forward quarters when moving into an engagement is going to be really tactically useful.

I keep thinking back to Navy Field and drooling over some of the ships that the Brits got. If they're anything close to their Navy Field proxies, they could be awesome, even without the block shots and bullshit armor.

The Dido and Emerald CLs are both fairly compact, nasty little cruisers. The York CA could be potentially small by heavy cruiser standards, and it's also a mean little thing. I don't know if it's small for a CA, but it's roughly 100 feet shorter than the Baltimore while still packing 8 inch guns.

Then there's the BBs. The Nelson looks like it'll be a tremendous pain in the rear end to deal with when it's coming straight at you. Then you've got some other stuff, like the Revenge ( which might have torpedo tubes ), or the Prince of Wales. I can't wait for Brit gunships.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

TehKeen posted:

Apparently all defensive fire is limited uses now - I saw this on reddit confirmed for the Yubari and someone claimed it was so on the Cleveland too, but my client refuses to work so I can't verify it.

Its not. I just played a game in my Atlanta and I had unlimited uses. The client said it had charges, though.
Edit: tested with the Myoko too. It says "2 charges" in the info tab that pops up, but when you equip the consumable it has no number next to it. The US DDs with limited charges do have a number next to their Defensive Fire icon, indicating that it has charges. Was able to pop off Defensive Fire 3 times on my Myoko (with the icon still indicating I could use it again) with Vigilance as its level 3 skill.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Sep 3, 2015

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I keep thinking back to Navy Field and drooling over some of the ships that the Brits got. If they're anything close to their Navy Field proxies, they could be awesome, even without the block shots and bullshit armor.

The Dido and Emerald CLs are both fairly compact, nasty little cruisers. The York CA could be potentially small by heavy cruiser standards, and it's also a mean little thing. I don't know if it's small for a CA, but it's roughly 100 feet shorter than the Baltimore while still packing 8 inch guns.

Then there's the BBs. The Nelson looks like it'll be a tremendous pain in the rear end to deal with when it's coming straight at you. Then you've got some other stuff, like the Revenge ( which might have torpedo tubes ), or the Prince of Wales. I can't wait for Brit gunships.

Even if the British ships are pure riveted poo poo they'll be worth it because win, lose or draw the jokes will write themselves. :britain:

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

If World of Tanks is anything to go by the Royal Navy will mostly crap for the reasons of "historical accuracy" but one or two will be utterly grim in skilled hands.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

I'm loving new torps on Sims. Sure the damage and speed suck but the range alone is enough to shotgun at things from far or choose to get close and personal and try to do a drive-by on a head on course.

Also I somehow hit Ryujo's citadel with HE ammo :stare:

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Just bought my New York. The Wyoming wasn't too bad, but I won't miss it. The New York is doing very well for me so far.

Now I just need to power through the Myogi and Furutaka.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Myogi ain't so bad once you got the third hull. Furu I'm kinda cuious about, the new patch changes read like a massive improvement for her.

Aesis posted:

Also I somehow hit Ryujo's citadel with HE ammo :stare:

Most carriers have no armor whatsoever and can be citadelled with HE at hort range. Of ourse, they can also be citadelled with AP at that point (and well before) and AP does more damage on citadel pens.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
The game is launching and all we get are ranked battles, and the opportunity to buy a single german ship.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Warspite was allegedly (unconfirmed) removed because it was overpowered, and I have a hard time imagining a terrible all-guns-forward ship (Izumo can't fire all guns forward). There's also this thing which is pretty slow but has torpedo tubes and a bonkers secondary battery.

York is a dead ringer for Aoba, so I guess you'll probably get the County class at tier 7 and then a bunch of projects. Alternately there are a bunch of 9x6" and 12x6" light cruisers.
The destroyers might be interesting, and I think their torpedoes might be better than average as well?

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Magni posted:

Myogi ain't so bad once you got the third hull. Furu I'm kinda cuious about, the new patch changes read like a massive improvement for her.

Most carriers have no armor whatsoever and can be citadelled with HE at hort range. Of ourse, they can also be citadelled with AP at that point (and well before) and AP does more damage on citadel pens.

Japanese carriers are armored with rice paper and tin foil gasoline tanks. If you use AP on them, even from a destroyer, it often just goes in one side and out the other.

US carriers vary a bit. The Langley has no armor and the Bogue and Indy have very minimal armor, but the Ranger and up have some level of protection against small caliber HE rounds. Remember that the Lexington was actually a battlecruiser hull which was converted to an aircraft carrier in the 1930s because of the Washington Naval Treaty which was signed by Japan, the US and the UK to limit Japan's ability to expand its navy and (heh) stave off a confrontation between Japan and the US/UK in Southeast Asia.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

James Garfield posted:

Warspite was allegedly (unconfirmed) removed because it was overpowered, and I have a hard time imagining a terrible all-guns-forward ship (Izumo can't fire all guns forward). There's also this thing which is pretty slow but has torpedo tubes and a bonkers secondary battery.

:psyduck: Overpowered?

I guess I won't be surprised if Wargaming decides to not put interesting ships in the game for stupid reasons, but as I'm not paying them a dime to play it, it's not like I care that much. And yeah, historically, their torpedoes weren't anything great. Comparable to yank torps.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Got Isokaze last night, finally able to begin the stealth destroyer game (though the torpedo range is still only a bit more than the concealment range). Hopefully will be able to get to Minekaze tonight and really start invisibly harassing everything with 10km torpedos. When destroying, I should pretty much never fire unless there's zero chance to retreat, right?
Also, should I just never engage Battleships 1v1 with Marblehead? It seems that I always just lose the gunfight.

Fightest
Nov 4, 2009

Great Sage
Equal of Heaven

Lhet posted:

Hopefully will be able to get to Minekaze tonight and really start invisibly harassing everything with 10km torpedos.

I've got bad news for you, buddy.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Lhet posted:

Got Isokaze last night, finally able to begin the stealth destroyer game (though the torpedo range is still only a bit more than the concealment range). Hopefully will be able to get to Minekaze tonight and really start invisibly harassing everything with 10km torpedos. When destroying, I should pretty much never fire unless there's zero chance to retreat, right?
Also, should I just never engage Battleships 1v1 with Marblehead? It seems that I always just lose the gunfight.

Hate to break it to you, but they removed the 10 km torpedoes from Minekaze. Oh, they reduced its stealth too.

Riller
Jun 16, 2008

Lhet posted:

I have found that if they are already engaging another target, most pubbies will ignore you if you hold your fire and just drop torps, even if you are detected. They stay zoomed in, so I usually wait until the first wave hits and the panic sets in before I start using my guns. This works especially well against BBs.

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011
Re: the Minekaze, they also nerfed the torpedo firing arc to be really annoying, while buffing gun traverse. It's not terrible but I have no intention of keeping mine anymore. :shobon:

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Lhet posted:

Learn to love that magic 6-7km range where you can hit with your torpedoes but the enemy can't see you.

In an Isokaze/Minekaze you can use your guns, just be aware that you're at a severe disadvantage fighting anything but other Japanese DDs and that revealing yourself makes you a target for EVERYTHING that is in range. I use my guns to kill other Jap DDs, ninja kills on dying ships, distracting ships from allies and taking opportunity shots on ships that are busy fighting someone else.

As for the Marblehead treat it just like the Omaha that it is derived from and avoid picking head-on fights with stuff that has bigger guns. Yeah you will probably out-DPM them but you'll come away badly damaged for it.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Kuntz posted:

Re: the Minekaze, they also nerfed the torpedo firing arc to be really annoying, while buffing gun traverse. It's not terrible but I have no intention of keeping mine anymore. :shobon:

It's sad; it really didn't need a nerf. Guess I'll be selling mine too. Haven't tried it since the patch, but I have about 40k free xp on it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dustoph posted:

It's sad; it really didn't need a nerf. Guess I'll be selling mine too. Haven't tried it since the patch, but I have about 40k free xp on it.

The Minekaze was dangerous and something to be aware of, but if you played smart and changed course and speed sometimes, it wasn't that big an issue. They'd have been even less of one if pubby cruisers weren't massive cowards who are afraid to go ahead and sweep for DDs.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
I haven't tried the Minekaze yet after the patch but is it really a nerf? The concealment was only reduced by 0.3km and honestly the 10km were kind of a trap since often you get much better results with the 7km but faster torpedos and it still leaves a window open with your torpedo range and your concealment, same as before.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Minekaze is basically a slightly nimbler Isokaze now instead of a major step up.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
So has there been any word on if account linking will happen at release in 2 weeks or they haven't set a date for that yet?

I don't play tanks anymore but i had like nearly 30k gold left on my account that i wouldn't mind using in botes so as not to waste.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

VietCampo posted:

So has there been any word on if account linking will happen at release in 2 weeks or they haven't set a date for that yet?

I don't play tanks anymore but i had like nearly 30k gold left on my account that i wouldn't mind using in botes so as not to waste.

Gold wont be shared across games.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Kuntz posted:

If you want the old Minekaze you can always get an Isokaze, it's the same thing minus 4 knots speed and probably with less annoying torpedo arcs.
What I don't understand is why they nerfed Mutsuki stealth.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

:psyduck: Overpowered?

I guess I won't be surprised if Wargaming decides to not put interesting ships in the game for stupid reasons, but as I'm not paying them a dime to play it, it's not like I care that much. And yeah, historically, their torpedoes weren't anything great. Comparable to yank torps.
If that's true I think it was probably removed to avoid nerfing a premium ship, like some things in tanks were. If nothing else I'm sure Revenge or Queen Elizabeth will be on the research tree, and Warspite being overpowered would be appropriate :britain:

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Well that's lame then, now i have nothing to look forward to, thanks wargaming.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Magni posted:

Myogi ain't so bad once you got the third hull.

I still hate that boat, but the combination of the range, scout plane, and dumb pubbies can lead to good times. Like when your fighting a BB who thinks they're a just turret and only moves gently around their spawn point. Last night I duked it out with a New York driver who practiced this doctrine. He full reversed behind an island and thought he was safe. Unfortunately we won the game before I could finish smack talking at him.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

THEN WHY THE gently caress DOES THEIR PIECE OF poo poo PLANE GAME GET THAT!

because it's a piece of poo poo, probably

WT needs to get their boats out. I'll :homebrew: at that poo poo.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Does anyone at all play World of Warplanes? Everything I've seen of it just looks tragic.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

So I guess the Minekaze nerfs are pretty bad. Is it even worth getting now or should I just stick with Isokaze and focus on getting carriers or something?

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Lhet posted:

So I guess the Minekaze nerfs are pretty bad. Is it even worth getting now or should I just stick with Isokaze and focus on getting carriers or something?
The Minekaze still owns and is worth getting. The 'nerfs' are pretty minor and outweighed by the buff to turret traverse. The removal of 10km torps is no big deal because most people used the faster 7km torps anyway. There is still a .7km stealth buffer even with the concealment change. You might need to change course and launch earlier if a target is coming towards you, but it will not affect the majority of torpedo attacks.

On the other hand, the guns are much more usable now. US destroyers still have the advantage due to rate of fire, but the Minekaze is no longer a sitting duck while torpedoes are reloading in destroyer duels.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

So many people utterly unaware of what "the contest runs until 0900 PDT" means, apparently.

Even with a blatant "Ok, submissions are closed as of this post" post.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Well that was certainly fun. Just had a game where everyones FPS hit the shitter legit single digits for everyone. Soon as you died though it fixed itself, seems to be a pretty big bug.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Junkozeyne posted:

I haven't tried the Minekaze yet after the patch but is it really a nerf? The concealment was only reduced by 0.3km and honestly the 10km were kind of a trap since often you get much better results with the 7km but faster torpedos and it still leaves a window open with your torpedo range and your concealment, same as before.

The 7km torps were the real trap. Faster doesn't always mean better. The 10km torps were less detectable, making them harder to avoid (less total reaction time from appearance to impact, assuming an optimal 90 degree angle of approach). The main difference, assuming time to react is the same for torpedoes, is that higher speed reduces the effect of targets moving towards/away from torps and significantly shortens time from launch to the target, which changes the angle at which you need to launch. But that's a bit more pertinent when you hit the 15km+ torp range, or your torps radically differ in speed.

The Minekaze maaaaaaybe needed the nerfs, but the nerf to torpedo traverse is super dumb, and the loss of 10km torps seems a bit excessive as well. The main issue was the sub 6km detection range, as combined with a skilled commander could make you incredibly hard to spot by even hostile DDs. IJN DDs have the slight advantage in detecting US DDs before they themselves are detected, but the Minekaze (and Mutsuki, to a lesser degree) took this quite a bit too far. Improved turret traverse should make getting into a gunfight less of an issue (shoot your guns sometimes, please).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I think the patch makes a difference in Battleships, just had a game where I sunk 5 enemy ships. Still lost though, which made me sad.