Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

You've not played One Night Ultimate Werewolf until you've won by convincing a table with a majority of Werewolves that most of them are villagers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dblankenship81
Mar 1, 2013
Has anyone been to, or plan to go to Geekway to the West?

Some friends and I somewhat recently started a tabletop group every other week and are considering making the short trip.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

They were, is there something in the rules that says they cant? He was paired up with a Clone player with a 30 attack card in a permanent alliance til one backstabbed the other.

Says it right on the card, they send only one ship per attack or alliance. So basically they lose ships slowly, and they're very strong on defense. Unless they are using their flare, of course, but you can solve that with attacks on their hand.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Crackbone posted:

http://go7gaming.com/product/insert-for-argent-the-consortium/

If you like Argent that much it's a no-brainer, actually holds everything.

From a little bit ago, but thanks for posting this! I didn't know it existed, but I'd been wishing for it for a little bit, since Argent has so many bits and pieces.

Anyone have a suggestion for one of these that would work with Tragedy Looper? There're a decent amount of cards and tokens, and while the setup isn't super arduous it'd be nice to have everything separated without needing to fiddle with a billion different ziplocks.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

dblankenship81 posted:

Has anyone been to, or plan to go to Geekway to the West?
Some friends and I somewhat recently started a tabletop group every other week and are considering making the short trip.

I've been going to Geekway since it was a much much smaller convention. The first time I went it was held in a local community center next to a waterpark, and there were just slightly more than a hundred people there. Last year, it was held in a bunch of meeting rooms in a big Sheraton, and registrations sold out, with 1200 people attending. This year it's capped at 1600 people, and as of yesterday, 1/4 of those had sold.

The great things about Geekway: the huge library of games for check-out (seriously, I've never gone looking for something and not found it), the play-to-win table (lots of games available for play, you put your names on a card afterward for a chance to win the game at the end of the con), door prizes (everyone gets a free game at registration -- last year, I got Netrunner), and the fact that there's basically around-the-clock gaming for the entire convention. The trade table is always popular, but I haven't participated in that for years. The venue is pretty nice, with some good restaurants right nearby. Everyone is friendly, and it's really easy to get into games with people you don't know. In recent years, publishers have been showing up with demos and sales.

I really look forward to going every year. I've only missed twice. I've already registered and reserved a room at the hotel for 2016.

Especially if you live close, it's worth the trip.

dblankenship81
Mar 1, 2013

atholbrose posted:

I've been going to Geekway since it was a much much smaller convention. The first time I went it was held in a local community center next to a waterpark, and there were just slightly more than a hundred people there. Last year, it was held in a bunch of meeting rooms in a big Sheraton, and registrations sold out, with 1200 people attending. This year it's capped at 1600 people, and as of yesterday, 1/4 of those had sold.

The great things about Geekway: the huge library of games for check-out (seriously, I've never gone looking for something and not found it), the play-to-win table (lots of games available for play, you put your names on a card afterward for a chance to win the game at the end of the con), door prizes (everyone gets a free game at registration -- last year, I got Netrunner), and the fact that there's basically around-the-clock gaming for the entire convention. The trade table is always popular, but I haven't participated in that for years. The venue is pretty nice, with some good restaurants right nearby. Everyone is friendly, and it's really easy to get into games with people you don't know. In recent years, publishers have been showing up with demos and sales.

I really look forward to going every year. I've only missed twice. I've already registered and reserved a room at the hotel for 2016.

Especially if you live close, it's worth the trip.

Sounds much better than I was expecting, we're definitely in. I work a few miles from the venue and semi frequent the new brewery that opened just down the street. Definitely looking forward to this now.

Tommmmm
Jan 1, 2012
Does anyone know of or reccomend a UK distributor for Codenames? Gameslore is out of stock and I asked Firestorm - to which they said would be a couple of weeks.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Dre2Dee2 posted:

My question is how is One Night Vampire? I saw that one trailer vid and I had a lot of trouble understanding what the gently caress was going on :stare:

Well the game isn't being delivered until Oct, so noone knows. Also, it seems to continue the complexity level of ONUW - Daybreak - Vampire. Looking over the new roles and it doesn't look very hard to grasp, what is confusing you?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Learned and played Fields of Arle.

I really enjoyed it and want to buy it. It's a 1 or 2 player game about developing a community over the course of 9 summer/winter seasons. It's a sandbox style game done right. A game like Xia: chronicles of a drift system or whatever tries to be a sandbox by piling on the unknown (i.e. you can do anything but literally everything is resolved by dice rolls all the time) to simulate depth. Fields of Arle has no randomness whatsoever outside of variable setup for available buildings but still has a huge variety of options and choices play SimPeasants on. You can actually decide, plan, and do. It's not a game where it feels like drowning.

On a scale of 1 to 10 the "oh you bastard how dare you" factor is a 1. It's a worker placement but even that is more understated than usual - players get 4 workers. You can't lose workers and you can't add any. Just 4. And there are plenty of actions available. The variation is all in what you choose to do, with what, and when. It's not even that hard not to starve. It's a game about doing well, or at least better. The solo variant is refreshingly simple: you can't take the 'special' action (take an out-of-season action to take the 1st player token) but besides that play exactly the same as you would with two and just try to get a high score.

For some reason the game is peasants building a countryside community instead of, oh, alien monsters sterilizing the earth - with you being an alien overseer responsible for subjugating and sterilizing a certain area on a deadline. Or playing as a hostile AI directing terminators to level our foul civilisation and wipe out humanity's sobbing remnants but w/e

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?

Selecta84 posted:

Thinking about getting Samurai Spirit and SOS Titanic.

Any reason not to buy these?

Edit: Oh, and is Fleet any good?

Samurai Spirit is decent but a bit overly-long with more than 2 players. There aren't a lot of choices to make on each turn. It doesn't seem super-prone to quarterbacking, either. I'd probably recommend Ghost Stories, by the same designer, over Samurai Spirit unless you really need more than 4 players.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Mister Sinewave posted:

Learned and played Fields of Arle.

I really enjoyed it and want to buy it. It's a 1 or 2 player game about developing a community over the course of 9 summer/winter seasons. It's a sandbox style game done right. A game like Xia: chronicles of a drift system or whatever tries to be a sandbox by piling on the unknown (i.e. you can do anything but literally everything is resolved by dice rolls all the time) to simulate depth. Fields of Arle has no randomness whatsoever outside of variable setup for available buildings but still has a huge variety of options and choices play SimPeasants on. You can actually decide, plan, and do. It's not a game where it feels like drowning.

On a scale of 1 to 10 the "oh you bastard how dare you" factor is a 1. It's a worker placement but even that is more understated than usual - players get 4 workers. You can't lose workers and you can't add any. Just 4. And there are plenty of actions available. The variation is all in what you choose to do, with what, and when. It's not even that hard not to starve. It's a game about doing well, or at least better. The solo variant is refreshingly simple: you can't take the 'special' action (take an out-of-season action to take the 1st player token) but besides that play exactly the same as you would with two and just try to get a high score.

For some reason the game is peasants building a countryside community instead of, oh, alien monsters sterilizing the earth - with you being an alien overseer responsible for subjugating and sterilizing a certain area on a deadline. Or playing as a hostile AI directing terminators to level our foul civilisation and wipe out humanity's sobbing remnants but w/e

That sounds like a really pleasant game to play with the fiancee, kind of scratches the Castles of Burgundy itch with less silliness.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

The Supreme Court posted:

Finally got around to playing Cosmic Encounter at the weekend and my whole group pretty much unanimously agreed it was awful. There wasn't a single turn that passed without someone saying the equivalent of "that's bullshit, how do you get to do that? That makes me feel like I'm getting unfairly shafted, but as we're all good mates and good sports that's all I'm going to say."

Basically, all the worst bits of old games where you feel like you don't want to play any more, combined with absolutely none of the good "aha!" bits that usually accompany them. I'd write a more coherent criticism but it left such a bad taste in my mouth I really can't be arsed.

One of Shut Up & Sit Down's favorite games!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Cosmic Encounter is the Marvel vs Capcom ( I mean MAHHHVEL) of board games. Everything is a broken unbalanced mess but some people like that.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

MonkeyMaker posted:

Samurai Spirit is decent but a bit overly-long with more than 2 players. There aren't a lot of choices to make on each turn. It doesn't seem super-prone to quarterbacking, either. I'd probably recommend Ghost Stories, by the same designer, over Samurai Spirit unless you really need more than 4 players.

Thanks

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

MonkeyMaker posted:

If you want a fairly difficult Bauza co-op with a bunch of risk management and other shenanigans, Samurai Spirits is okay but Ghost Stories is far, far better. We played SS a few times and then just went back to GS with no regrets. SS is shorter and simpler, but it's a lot more random because the "bad things" spread is heavily spread so it's sometimes not too bad and sometimes incredibly awful when you draw a super boss (as opposed to GS where it's usually bad and sometimes very bad, but the boss timing is a known fact and most bosses do their damage over time or are a defensive nuisance).

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Ghost Stories is a bit hard to get here atm...

Maybe SS as an easier alternative?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

So I bought Falling thinking it was a silly light game but after a few plays it has quite a nice level of strategy behind it. I really like it and recommend it.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Pander posted:

That sounds like a really pleasant game to play with the fiancee, kind of scratches the Castles of Burgundy itch with less silliness.

It's great, it's a fair bit heavier than CoB though and a bit longer. However it's mostly upfront burden of knowledge, knowing what things you can do and the interplay of them, like most worker placement games the actual mechanics and gameflow are very straightforward and the boards does a good job of giving you all the info you need to know.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'd add that I think it would be easy to teach from a "here's what you can do RIGHT NOW" at every phase. The interplay and inter-dependencies are not the kind that screw you totally, and the actions are not such that "you can't do X until you A oh I guess I should explain A then and keep in mind B..."

In short, I think you could dive right in and teach it phase by phase after setup, as long as the person you're teaching is OK with using the first game as a learning experience and having the interplays and subtleties basically explain themselves as you go on.

Some people on the other hand need to learn and understand everything at once up front before they do anything. If you have such a person and they DO NOT suffer from AP (you might have a unicorn on your hands) then direct them to a 'how to play' video to get up to speed before you sit down. If they have or are prone to AP, then play something else, I'm telling you now.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Cosmic Encounter is the Marvel vs Capcom ( I mean MAHHHVEL) of board games. Everything is a broken unbalanced mess but some people like that.

It helps if you yell out all your broken moves by name and then smirk like a YuGiOh character.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mister Sinewave posted:

The reason for that is Uwe Rosenberg.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

PerniciousKnid posted:

It helps if you yell out all your broken moves by name and then smirk like a YuGiOh character.

Screw the rules I have money am Virus!

Also if Rosenberg made a game about hostile AI wiping out humanity I would buy it so fast it's not even funny.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Jedit posted:

The reason for that is Uwe Rosenberg.

After seeing Agricola, playing Caverna, then playing Fields of Arle, and seeing the box art for Glass Road and Ora et Labora I was picking up a few subtle cues about common themes.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Andarel posted:

Screw the rules I have money am Virus!

Also if Rosenberg made a game about hostile AI wiping out humanity I would buy it so fast it's not even funny.

It would most likely be about the plague or flu in the middle ages

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
20 awesome board games you may never have heard of.

They are right that I hadn't heard of two of them. Also, great quote about you-know-what:

quote:

“Also has zombies which some people think are pretty cool.”

e: fixed url

Magnetic North fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 3, 2015

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Mister Sinewave posted:

Some people on the other hand need to learn and understand everything at once up front before they do anything. If you have such a person and they DO NOT suffer from AP (you might have a unicorn on your hands) then direct them to a 'how to play' video to get up to speed before you sit down. If they have or are prone to AP, then play something else, I'm telling you now.

*halts order of Fields of Arle*

well it sounded neat.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Magnetic North posted:

20 awesome board games you may never have heard of.

They are right that I hadn't heard of two of them. Also, great quote about you-know-what:

e: fixed url

Dead of Winter, Firefly, and Merchants of Venus are bad but hey 17 out of 20 aint bad

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Some Numbers posted:

One of Shut Up & Sit Down's favorite games!

Because it's actually a great game. :colbert:

Cosmic is one of my groups favorite 'stand-by' games. We always have fun playing it, and it's one of the first to the table when we gather and nobody has a new 'I want to try this game right now!' game to bring to the table. The crazy racial abilities mean the game rarely plays out the same, it's typically fast (with our group), and I find we usually end up talking about it the next day in a positive way. It's diverse in that rarely do two games play out the same way, and due to the way the destiny deck works it can be confrontational in a way that won't upset overly sensitive (typically younger) players.

I know that some of the things I like about cosmic are the very things others dislike. I'm more of the 'enjoy the experience with friends and the stories games tell' kind of player, which is why Shut Up & Sit Down's reviews tend to work for me and probably why I actually enjoy the highs and lows that can happen playing Cosmic (I once lost every ship on the very first turn of the game by going 'all in' against my friend who was playing the gambler, had the 40, and didn't lie about it). I will say that I find some of the aliens to not be very fun and I believe the game is improved by their removal, but that's a matter of personal preference.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

StashAugustine posted:

Dead of Winter, Firefly, and Merchants of Venus are bad but hey 17 out of 20 aint bad

Warhammer Quest might be a bit hard to find as it went out of print 17 years ago

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

StashAugustine posted:

I dig the screenshot of the old Avalon Hill version of MoV. I actually have this and was constantly bombarded with offers for it on BGG, but I'm an idiot and didn't sell it before the remake came out.

What is bad about Firefly? I was interested in it at some point but sort of forgot about it.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I don't get this quote from the article.

quote:

Came across Carcassonne, the now-infamous gateway game

Infamous???

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Azran posted:

Infamous???

Why would we even waste one breath talking about Carcassonne The Board Game, which RAPED AND KILLED A GIRL IN 1990.

Well first off, it's not true. It's not true that Carcassonne The Board Game RAPED AND KILLED A GIRL IN 1990.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Pander posted:

*halts order of Fields of Arle*

well it sounded neat.

The reason I say "AP need not apply" is because the game has lots of choice and it's not always clear what's "best". Players who comfortably form high level meta-strategies and readily make choices that move them towards their overall goals based on available choices should do well. In my experience that tends not to describe people with AP.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Mister Sinewave posted:

The reason I say "AP need not apply" is because the game has lots of choice and it's not always clear what's "best". Players who comfortably form high level meta-strategies and readily make choices that move them towards their overall goals based on available choices should do well. In my experience that tends not to describe people with AP.

A few months ago I played a game of Caverna with somebody with AP (the owner of the game who taught the rules to us) and it was just awful. This guy had turns that took 10 minutes. I think there are a whole lot of great games that can really suffer for people with chronic AP.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

drat Dirty Ape posted:

A few months ago I played a game of Caverna with somebody with AP (the owner of the game who taught the rules to us) and it was just awful. This guy had turns that took 10 minutes. I think there are a whole lot of great games that can really suffer for people with chronic AP.

Is this where we talk about the 2+ hour game of Alien Frontiers? I am considering making people answer a 1-question test about their AP before letting them play the game.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

StashAugustine posted:

Care to comment on Merchants? It's been lounging around my "need to play" list for a good long time. I mean, I know it has a roll-and-move system of all things, but it seems like one of those rare few games that features post-roll decisions for movement.

(Granted, it hit my radar back when the Richard Hamblen cult of personality was a huge thing. I've actually gotten to play Magic Realm now, and it turned out to be an okayish 70's dice-chucker, rather than the High Paragon of Fantasy Adventure.)

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Bottom Liner posted:

As somebody who actually plays fighters, this is the opposite of the truth. Marvel (MvC2 did, anyway) lacked character balance but had amazing mechanical balance, which is why it lasted 10 years on the tournament scene and got the respect it did. Cosmic is a grandfathered mess that ends the same way every time once players solve it, and anything short of solving it is concentrated randomness.

CE intentionally has bad character balance whereas MvC2 had bad character balance due to negligence. There is no form of CE that results in a strategic, balanced, and playable game, while in MvC2 there is a brilliant game that can be played using the 10 best characters in the game (such to the point where the most balanced fighter ever made was based off of that version of MvC2). Cosmic sets out to be a high-stakes political bluffing game but is just a mess of RNG, whereas MvC2 set out to be a return to its series' glory of X-Men vs. Street Fighter and blew that goal out of the water.

Even MvC3, which is a bad game, is better than Cosmic by being decisive. The strength of the rushdown top tiers is that victory comes swiftly and without your opponent's input. Cosmic's core design encourages games to drag out unnecessarily for the same reason the races are so unbalanced (to allow as much interference of player politics into the RNG as possible, which isn't a terribly bad thing given how much RNG the game has).

Cosmic Encounter is a terrible, terrible loving game.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Because it's actually a great game. :colbert:

Cosmic is one of my groups favorite 'stand-by' games. We always have fun playing it, and it's one of the first to the table when we gather and nobody has a new 'I want to try this game right now!' game to bring to the table. The crazy racial abilities mean the game rarely plays out the same, it's typically fast (with our group), and I find we usually end up talking about it the next day in a positive way. It's diverse in that rarely do two games play out the same way, and due to the way the destiny deck works it can be confrontational in a way that won't upset overly sensitive (typically younger) players.

I think Cosmic works best as a filler game for groups who think 60-90 minutes is filler territory.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

Broken Loose posted:

As somebody who actually plays fighters, this is the opposite of the truth. Marvel (MvC2 did, anyway) lacked character balance but had amazing mechanical balance, which is why it lasted 10 years on the tournament scene and got the respect it did. Cosmic is a grandfathered mess that ends the same way every time once players solve it, and anything short of solving it is concentrated randomness.

CE intentionally has bad character balance whereas MvC2 had bad character balance due to negligence. There is no form of CE that results in a strategic, balanced, and playable game, while in MvC2 there is a brilliant game that can be played using the 10 best characters in the game (such to the point where the most balanced fighter ever made was based off of that version of MvC2). Cosmic sets out to be a high-stakes political bluffing game but is just a mess of RNG, whereas MvC2 set out to be a return to its series' glory of X-Men vs. Street Fighter and blew that goal out of the water.

Even MvC3, which is a bad game, is better than Cosmic by being decisive. The strength of the rushdown top tiers is that victory comes swiftly and without your opponent's input. Cosmic's core design encourages games to drag out unnecessarily for the same reason the races are so unbalanced (to allow as much interference of player politics into the RNG as possible, which isn't a terribly bad thing given how much RNG the game has).

Cosmic Encounter is a terrible, terrible loving game.

I don't care for Cosmic Encounters, but say what if you used the top 10 races in it? Also doesn't MvC2 have many characters in it? Shouldn't it be more balanced out of the gate?

PerniciousKnid posted:

I think Cosmic works best as a filler game for groups who think 60-90 minutes is filler territory.

Yeah I had that for a while but once my group figured it out we ended up having 2-3 grueling mucchhhh longer games before I got rid of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Zombie #246 posted:

Also doesn't MvC2 have many characters in it? Shouldn't it be more balanced out of the gate?

I believe it took over a decade and multiple shifts in what the "best" characters were to get to where we are today.

I keep reading about people having reasonable length games of Cosmic Encounter so I don't know if my games just went long or if I enjoy it so little that the game just feels super long to me.