Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
My 93 LE is up on BaT. I put it up at no reserve at their encouragement. My uncle (who gave me the car) thinks I'm crazy but having bought and sold guns via auction I know that reserves stop some bidders. But I have to admit having no floor under you is slightly nerve wracking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Sten Freak posted:

My 93 LE is up on BaT. I put it up at no reserve at their encouragement. My uncle (who gave me the car) thinks I'm crazy but having bought and sold guns via auction I know that reserves stop some bidders. But I have to admit having no floor under you is slightly nerve wracking.

Yours is that super nice black one with the super gorgeous red interior? Nice car, I wish my black 97 had an interior half as nice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Maybe If IOC says it's ok, I don't really want to derail the thread any further with his bullshit psycho babble drama.

[edit] deleted a bunch of PMs from him this morning, dude is insane in the membrane.

Maybe we need an AI drama overflow thread.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yours is that super nice black one with the super gorgeous red interior? Nice car, I wish my black 97 had an interior half as nice.
Yeah that's it, thanks. The LE was the only car they put a red interior in. It's a really nice example but honestly in some ways it's not fun because you fear something happening to it when it's out.

I posted a thread about it when I got it. My uncle generously gave it to me. Obviously he's a great guy and a car nut in general but got into Miatas after his daughter was born (had Ferraris before that :D) He obsesses about his cars and didn't like having a black car as he lives on a dirt road. His latest car is a 72 1.3V4 Lancia I posted about here. Oh and he still has two 1.6L NAs currently, has gotten rid of any later models.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I know exactly what you mean by fear. Even my ratty as poo poo 97 is "too nice" for all of the abuse I want to do to it (gravel roads, rallycross, winter beaterdom).

You should buy your uncle an account too.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

College Slice

I know exactly what you mean by fear. Even my ratty as poo poo 97 is "too nice" for all of the abuse I want to do to it (gravel roads, rallycross, winter beaterdom).

You should buy your uncle an account too.
It's weird how we can become attached to a thing. Back in the 90s I had a gorgeous 2 toned SVX which I loved and it was like the more I loved it the more of a magnet for accidents and trouble it became.

Uncle would not know what to think of this place I think. He's a trip. DD a diesel rabbit for years in the 80s cause it was cheap to run but had a 308 GT in the garage. Has had Jags, Indian bikes, many Audis but now DDs his Smurf or Sunburst. Everyone is looking for something different from a car but the driving experience of the early Miatas is fairly unique and definitely sublime. I would have never known it had I not driven one.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
This is why I bought a Miata that already was imperfect. It's nice enough, and was driven by an older lady, but when my wife puts yet another dent in the door I just shrug it off.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Dameius posted:

After much patience I found my car again. For those who don't remember, I had a blue 06 sport that got killed in a flood. I ended up chasing an '08 PRHT GT and an '06 GT and bought the '06. Its the same amazing blue as the last one:

On the stock wheels, what are the fattest, grippiest tires you guys recommend? The tires are at their tread warning so I'll be replacing them soon and that is basically the one performance upgrade I'll likely get for the foreseeable future.

205/45-17?

Let's see, you appear to be in Texas, so don't have to worry about freezing Winters like I do in Illinois. The tires I would've gotten would be the Dunlop Star Specs: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...0Without%20TPMS

I'm still happy with my Dunlop DZ102s but for the driving I like to do I'd love to get the Star Specs. I can't say how the two compare, but at least with the Dunlops I have they get a lot of grip and when they do slip it's smooth and controlled. Lift off the throttle and they hook right back up.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

insurance finally called and said I was 20% at fault for not evading their reversing car. (implying I should have evasively reversed away from them, putting anybody behind me in harm's way) Reminder I was completely stopped when they hit me and honking. gently caress that poo poo, going to subrogation now. Poor miata awaits its repairs.

In other news, a tear has developed in the seam above my passenger window. No leaking yet the year is slightly below the weather stripping but it gets bigger everyday. Kinda unexpected, I know we have top talk a lot in the thread so i'll just peruse the old posts

ethanol fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 2, 2015

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

ethanol posted:

insurance finally called and said I was 20% at fault for not evading their reversing car. (implying I should have evasively reversed away from them, putting anybody behind me in harm's way) Reminder I was completely stopped when they hit me and honking. gently caress that poo poo, going to subrogation now. Poor miata awaits its repairs.

In other news, a tear has developed in the seam above my passenger window. No leaking yet the year is slightly below the weather stripping but it gets bigger everyday. Kinda unexpected, I know we have top talk a lot in the thread so i'll just peruse the old posts

Whose insurance called, yours or theirs?

Post a photo of the tear in the top if you can.

moloo
Oct 29, 2004

Douche Bag Extraordinaire

Chriskory posted:

Heel toe

for me it's more like

more like big toe, pinky toe

I wear a size 15 shoe, I 100% do this.

Sten Freak posted:

Uncle would not know what to think of this place I think. He's a trip. DD a diesel rabbit for years in the 80s cause it was cheap to run but had a 308 GT in the garage. Has had Jags, Indian bikes, many Audis but now DDs his Smurf or Sunburst.

Thought you might be my cousin until I saw the bit about the 308. My grandfather daily’d a mk1 diesel rabbit until some point in the 90s when he hard to get rid of it because no one in the family would ride with him. He has had Triumphs, various 911s, BMW bikes, and a c6 vette for some reason at one point. These days he usually chooses to drive an old 300e wagon that he parks next to a 991 Carrera S. Swapped an engine in my old NA8 in his garage a couple years back, according to grandma he's been looking at NDs lately.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Atomizer posted:

Whose insurance called, yours or theirs?

Post a photo of the tear in the top if you can.

Theirs. Now I have to call my insurance to subrogate it. It's pretty clear chain of logic that contradicts them. They said they saw me. They said they ran into me. They said I was moving. If they saw me why would they reverse at all? How can I be expected to reverse away in a one way parking lot from an oncoming reversing driver? Regardless, in reality, I had no time to reverse away, as they were stepping on it. I expect geico will have a field day. Remember I have recordings of their agent saying she believed me, and recordings from geico of the insured taking responsibility while I was on the phone with geico.

Photos of tear:

ethanol fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 2, 2015

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

ethanol posted:

Theirs. Now I have to call my insurance to subrogate it. It's pretty clear chain of logic that contradicts them. They said they saw me. They said they ran into me. They said I was moving. If they saw me why would they reverse at all? How can I be expected to reverse away in a one way parking lot from an oncoming reversing driver? Regardless, in reality, I had no time to reverse away, as they were stepping on it. I expect geico will have a field day. Remember I have recordings of their agent saying she believed me, and recordings from geico of the insured taking responsibility while I was on the phone with geico.

Photos of tear:

Their insurance, huh. Called it, unfortunately. This is kind of what happened when my Dad got hit in the Miata; he was reverse-T-boned, but insurance said he was 10% at-fault because he shouldn't have been waiting for a car to pull out in a parking lot or whatever. :jerkbag: However, this was complicated by the fact that both parties had the same insurer, who had to pay out to both parties regardless; I expect that if two different insurers were involved, ours would've pushed for 100% fault on the other party (and won, too.)

Oof, that tear looks worse than I imagined. Since it's vinyl, I guess you could use glue to kind of hold it together and at least keep out water. It won't look fantastic, but at least it'll look better than a huge tear. Also, maybe a car upholstery shop has a more professional method of repair? You could inquire at the body shop since it'll be there anyway.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Not much you're gonna be able to do about that tear that isn't temporary. Better start pricing out new tops.

http://www.topsonline.com/ has the best prices.

GP035
Feb 15, 2005

It's Clutch Time!

moloo posted:

I want to do something like the strap replacement shown in the regular car guy miata review:

Did that dude just make that or is there something I can buy? Also is taking the foam out of the bottom of the seat (oem 90) a good move or should I just buy a sparco or some poo poo?

The cheap/lazy route is to re-use an old leather belt. Make sure to leave a little extra slack between the screws so it bows out to form a handle.

moloo
Oct 29, 2004

Sten Freak posted:

My 93 LE is up on BaT.

Actually looked at BaT a little earlier and wow, I think I'd take that over an ND. Perfect car, I hope you get what you want.

Phone posted:

Check Rev9 for all of your siqqq JDM interior needs.

Do people really buy that stuff? Looks cool but I would pay, at most, 10% of what they have things priced at and only if the OEM version I had was broken.

Example: $130 for 6 hex bolts!. 6 very small hex bolts! Titanium though, weight reduction!

I guess some people are more into DIY Bugatti than the standard miata stuff.

G Money posted:

The cheap/lazy route is to re-use an old leather belt. Make sure to leave a little extra slack between the screws so it bows out to form a handle.

I'll take a picture of it tomorrow but it already looks terrible sans handrest. I'm not a creative person, if I tried to pinterest this poo poo I'd be down a half pint of Elmer's glue and my best belt.

moloo fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Sep 3, 2015

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Atomizer posted:

205/45-17?

Let's see, you appear to be in Texas, so don't have to worry about freezing Winters like I do in Illinois. The tires I would've gotten would be the Dunlop Star Specs: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...0Without%20TPMS

I'm still happy with my Dunlop DZ102s but for the driving I like to do I'd love to get the Star Specs. I can't say how the two compare, but at least with the Dunlops I have they get a lot of grip and when they do slip it's smooth and controlled. Lift off the throttle and they hook right back up.

You are right that I'm in Texas. This car may see an occasional rainy day but on particularly bad days it'll stay at home and I'll commute in a CRV, so not too worried about performance in heavy rain. The wheels come out of the factory at 205/45 17, though have any of you guys tried putting 225/45s on the stock 17 wheels? I was basically just bouncing between these three tires without any real direction other than debating price since they seem pretty much even matched against each other:

Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08 R
Per Tire: $163.22
Set of 4: $652.88

Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec
Per Tire: $161.48
Set of 4: $645.92

Hankook Ventus R-S3 (Version 2)
Per Tire: $128.83
Set of 4: $515.32

I can't say I know a lot about this, and because of that I am leaning to the Hankooks simply because they are cheaper and differences appear marginal at best.

Even though it is not likely to happen anytime soon, after tires what would be the next thing you guys play around with to get some more fun out of a daily driver?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Any of those will work.

Next step? Seat time. Keep your car stock and go autocrossing for a year.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Dameius posted:

You are right that I'm in Texas. This car may see an occasional rainy day but on particularly bad days it'll stay at home and I'll commute in a CRV, so not too worried about performance in heavy rain. The wheels come out of the factory at 205/45 17, though have any of you guys tried putting 225/45s on the stock 17 wheels? I was basically just bouncing between these three tires without any real direction other than debating price since they seem pretty much even matched against each other:

Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08 R
Per Tire: $163.22
Set of 4: $652.88

Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec
Per Tire: $161.48
Set of 4: $645.92

Hankook Ventus R-S3 (Version 2)
Per Tire: $128.83
Set of 4: $515.32

I can't say I know a lot about this, and because of that I am leaning to the Hankooks simply because they are cheaper and differences appear marginal at best.

You'll be fine in the rain on any of those tires; just take it easy. The real issue is with storing that class of tires through freezing temperatures; the manufacturers as well as TireRack all strongly discourage it, but luckily you won't have to deal with that. I also have the same exact setup: Miata for fun and a CRV for lovely weather (and our Winters.) :) The wider tires will probably be fine, although you can contact a rep at TireRack to confirm. I actually went from 17" rims on my MSM to 15" ones for a number of reasons, one of which is that I have so many more tire options at 15. You would probably be very happy with any of the tires you've selected there.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
17s have more (usable) options than 15s and just as cheap, but you shouldn't be running 255s on an NC anyways. Pinching a 225 on a 7" wheel isn't an issue; not ideal, but could be worse.

Atomizer: how do you like the K1-TS wheels? Find that 15" tires are a bit more comfortable?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Phone posted:

17s have more (usable) options than 15s and just as cheap, but you shouldn't be running 255s on an NC anyways. Pinching a 225 on a 7" wheel isn't an issue; not ideal, but could be worse.

Atomizer: how do you like the K1-TS wheels? Find that 15" tires are a bit more comfortable?

That's not what I found when I was searching earlier this year. I couldn't even get [the type of tires that I wanted but aren't appropriate for my climate] in 17", whereas there are many more options in 15". :shrug: Maybe if I had expanded the search to include alternate, but still fittable tires, or searched somewhere other than TireRack I could've found more options, but the whole process was already complicated enough, and I was leaning towards going to 15" anyway. It doesn't really matter, because I'm glad I made the switch. The K1-TS are much better in a lot of ways: they're lighter, and steering is practically effortless (I cannot emphasize enough how accurate the "boat anchor" moniker is for the stock Racing Hart rims.) The ride is softer, which is nice because this car is only for the street and aforementioned streets are pretty terrible. The whole car used to shudder on bumps, and now it absorbs them a lot better. There does seem to be a delay in steering response, however, yet it's by no means an issue considering all the benefits. I'm glad I went with this setup, and I'm also very glad you helped me out! :hfive:

As I've previously mentioned with regards to the DZ102s I mounted, they're very solid as well. Lots of grip, and when I get them to slip in a turn it's a smooth, controlled slide. Enter turn, open throttle, slide around, lift throttle, straighten up, accelerate! I love being able to turn my car while barely having to touch the steering wheel! :D I'm probably the type of person who needs a rollbar and helmet for the street, aren't I? ;) :ninja:

I still have those Racing Hart rims in my garage, of which I guess 2 are bent. Not sure what to do with them; they're worth a few bucks as scrap Aluminium, and I don't really feel right about lying to someone else to sell them. Oh well, they can sit there for a while longer until I figure out something.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Atomizer posted:

Miata for fun and a CRV for lovely weather (and our Winters.)

Hey, me three! I don't have, and will not need, winter tires though. gently caress snow!

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Nocheez posted:

Hey, me three! I don't have, and will not need, winter tires though. gently caress snow!

I have a Fiesta ST for days where the NC isn't appropriate, namely rain or winter. Have a set of winter tires for that and it's great in the winter.

It's nice having a fun car for each season.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Nocheez posted:

I also have the Miata summer/CR-V winter combo :v:

Goons of a feather....

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm probably due for new snow tires even though mine have plenty of tread left (they're a bit over 5 years old and have been sitting in a garage while I was sans miata.) What'd the recommended size be for 15", 5.5" wide rims? The old set were 195.55.15 but I'm curious if I should be looking at any other sizes. I'm running 205.50.15's on my summer wheels, but those are 7.5" wide and I'm not sure how that changes things.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I think that's a good size for stock wheels. I wanted to get 14" for winter but those wouldn't fit over the brakes...

Gorson posted:

Goons of a feather....

I'm really itching to get a beater subaru for the winter but what I actually want it to save for an E92 M3 :(

f_c_
Oct 27, 2007

How long should a rebuilt engine in a 95 miata burn oil? I have 550 miles on mine and its still puffs out a cloud here and there, especially if I let it coast in gear then give it some throttle.

moloo
Oct 29, 2004

f_c_ posted:

How long should a rebuilt engine in a 95 miata burn oil? I have 550 miles on mine and its still puffs out a cloud here and there, especially if I let it coast in gear then give it some throttle.

Rebuilt bottom end only or head as well? Does I sound like it's running alright or any loss of power?

I'd do a compression test if it's decent smoke. If any cylinder shows low psi, a little oil in the spark plug hole plus a second test will tell you if the rings aren't right on the rebuild. Takes like no time for the peace of mind.

urakawa
Feb 6, 2012

moloo posted:

I've been having trouble being able to heel-toe with shoes on in my NA6. I'm 6'1" and I have to take my shoes off to do any sort of fun driving in the car. Funny story, I have arrived at work twice now without shoes because I thought I had a pair in the trunk.

I took the driver side visor out and interior door handle (this thing) out but it looks lovely without something in it's place.

I want to do something like the strap replacement shown in the regular car guy miata review:

Did that dude just make that or is there something I can buy? Also is taking the foam out of the bottom of the seat (oem 90) a good move or should I just buy a sparco or some poo poo?

I just bought these from a recommendation I saw on mnet

http://www.parts-express.com/penn-elcom-h1014k-extra-wide-strap-handle-black-end-caps--262-314

They'll be coming in 10 days so we'll see how it fits

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Gorson posted:

Goons of a feather....

You know, it sounded a little surprising at first but when I think about it it's not strange at all that we all have this combination. The CR-V is so common you can't throw a big black dildo without hitting one. I never paid attention to them at first but now that I have one I see them loving EVERYWHERE. When I'm in mine I'll often find I end up driving in a CR-V pack, with 3-4 of us just happening to be driving along the same road at the same time. :)

Couple that with our shared desire to keep our Summer cars safe during the Winter and it's no wonder we all ended up with CR-Vs.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I want to build a NB just to be a full time winter car (to save my NA from rust). Just for fun, how would you modify one for full time winter duty?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I want to build a NB just to be a full time winter car (to save my NA from rust). Just for fun, how would you modify one for full time winter duty?

Snow tires and 3 inches of undercoating

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
NBs rust pretty well too, especially if they have factory Tupperware. I saw one last night that was finger soft in the rear quarters.

I would put studded winter tires on it, a hardtop, and yearly Fluid Film or Corrosion Free undercoating from a recommended provider.

Keep on top of the drains clearing, and make sure that the undercoating doesn't plug those drains either. If you keep the soft top, clear the rain rail out periodically and make sure it doesn't tear or get any debris that impedes flow.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 5, 2015

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I cant put a hardtop on (my summer car has one). Driving top down in the icy cold was part of my "winter miata" fantasy :)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You live in Florida, don't you? How do you actually have something defined as "winter" or something defined as "rust?"

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
i do but a possible move in the next few months has me thinking about saving my "hawaii-florida only" NA from salt and snow

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

You live in Florida, don't you? How do you actually have something defined as "winter" or something defined as "rust?"

Moist, salty air makes Florida cars rust like a motherfucker.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
If you're moving somewhere where things already rust, you could always just buy a pre-rusted car and not give a gently caress.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

bandman posted:

Moist, salty air makes Florida cars rust like a motherfucker.

This a bullshit myth. I've lived on the Gulf coast for over 20 years and only once did I ever see a vehicle rusted by "salt air" and it was an old Jeep that sat for years unwashed at a beach house, literally yards away from the water. Even then it was just surface rust, nothing remotely close to what happens to a car up north. Even on the barrier islands that are surrounded by salt water there is no such thing as rust, I don't know where people get this idea from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Dizzle get a high mileage Miata and just beat the poo poo out of it imo. Sounds kind of fun