Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

larchesdanrew posted:

"Hey larchesdanrew, can you move all my email from my old laptop to my new laptop?"

Sure!

103gb :negative:

"Oh I'm sorry, the IT Director has sent us a new policy regarding email, and we'll need to archive any emails older than 1 year to this shiny Buffalo NAS. I can help with that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

"Hey larchesdanrew, can you move all my email from my old laptop to my new laptop?"

Sure!

Just finished a data transfer job. Old user directory was 110gb. New hard drive was 250gb, with 30gb free. :negative:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Oh, you mean me in a week? :smug:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Never ever ever ever loving touch a users data. Their files, their documents, their pictures, their text messages, their drawings, NOT MY PROBLEM! We have at least two document systems, endless network drives, Autodesk Vaults and so on and so on, and if they save it somewhere starting with C:\, I'm wouldn't even pissing on it with a stolen dick, because they would say "You were the one who touched it last, you have to get it back"

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

larchesdanrew posted:

Really? Or are you just in a dream-state again?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

vibur posted:

Really? Or are you just in a dream-state again?

CONFIDENCE

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

As long as you have the balls to actually leave when you don't get it, I'm with you.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

spankmeister posted:

As long as you have the balls to actually leave when you don't get it, I'm with you.

I honestly don't believe he works in an org that cares about doing things right, changing a director want really change much.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

larchesdanrew posted:

Would you WANT to be an IT director with a lying GM whom "has no control"? Just saying....

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
A new ticketing system came in...

Company wide, SLA-friendly for our customers, except now there is too much red tape. If I want to backup a dev or UAT database, now it needs to go through an approval process. :psyduck: Also dependent fields are in the wrong order in the ticket form, you have to scroll to the bottom to fill out the first field, and then fields at the top will will fill-in automatically. Nothing is in order. No training provided to anyone on the new ticketing system, especially for the business-folk.

Let's make things needlessly complicated! Whoever the project manager for this was needs to gently caress off with these workflows.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Sickening posted:

I honestly don't believe he works in an org that cares about doing things right, changing a director want really change much.

You're almost correct. I work for corporation (and arguably for an industry) that has routinely put every iota of blind faith in one person at each establishment: the Chief Engineer.

Not a single decision gets made without the CE's input. The CE is supposed to have knowledge of the way each and every department operates, and is the one responsible for researching potential new technologies, upgrades, replacements, etc... The CE is in charge of building maintenance and security. The CE has just slightly less power than the HR director when it comes to employees. The CE basically does it all.

Now, this isn't to say that nothing can be done without the CE's say-so. The CE essentially only in charge of engineering and IT stuff, but management is so totally inept that they just let him do all the legwork. If you've got a great CE, then this is pretty cool, and a lot of our stations have great CEs.

My station does not have a great CE.

My station has a power-obsessed, cheap, racist, sexist, mentally ill, childish bully in that position. He is always right, and everyone else is always wrong. Nobody likes him. Why is he here? Because he and the old GM had formed some sort of shadow government where every decision was between the two of them, and GM was the most inept I had ever seen; he knew nothing. He essentially just let the CE be his right-hand man and ran to him for literally everything. In the long run, this meant that the CE was making every decision for the business. This has been going for almost ten years. The GM is basically just a talking head while all the power rests with the CE.

But that old GM is now the president of televised broadcasting. Guess who he still runs to for all his decisions. So, now we have the CE of a station, not with the power of a GM, but with the power of the goddamned president of our division.

The new GM does not like this. He confided in me that he hates the CE, and is slowly wresting power away from him, but that it is delicate work since the CE has made himself the single point of failure for our station, and if he gets pissed off enough, he'll quit and then we're hosed.

So that's where we are. We have an absolute dick of a chief engineer with waaaaay too much supposed power due to his relationship with the president.

But, like I said, he doesn't actually have any power. People just give him that power. A few departments are figuring this out. They've realized that they don't have to have his permission to purchase new things for their department, because he's not in control of them. They've realized that he doesn't have to power to threaten to fire people, because he's not in control of them. He's only got as much power as you let him think he has.

This is why I want my own department. I'm not scared of him anymore. The only reason I tiptoe around him now is that he does have the power to fire me, and he's just childish and petty enough to do it if he thinks I'm not respecting him. With my own department, I no longer answer to him on IT matters. I can stand up to him and hopefully rally the other department heads to stop letting him make their decisions as well.

Some poo poo's gotta change around here, and I'm just fed up enough to want to be the one to spearhead this coup.

EDIT: And for those in the "larchesdanrew should quit and move" camp, I'm in that camp as well. I'd love nothing more than to get out of here and start over somewhere else. But for the time being, that's not possible. I do not want my children going to public school in Mississippi. So, I've got two options: bide my time here until I've got the funds and experience to get a job in another state, or work my way up the ladder here and make my job bearable while hopefully getting enough of a wage increase to afford private school in a few years, and THEN move and hopefully find a decent job somewhere else. Either way, I'm moving.

Since I can't pack up and move just yet, I might as well try making my job not suck until I can.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 3, 2015

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The Game of Broadcast Towers

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I've run into a very odd issue at a client site. Apparently overnight all the admin accounts on their client machines stopped working. Account still existed but the password wasn't being accepted.

I get on site and confirm that it isn't working on all the machines and that the accounts are local admin accounts and not networked accounts. Since they're Macs I just boot into Recovery HD and reset the password on the admin account. First weird thing that happens is that Keychain doesn't bitch at me when I log in which it usually does when you reset the login password. Second weird thing is that their local Admin account is linked to an Apple ID and I can't uncheck "allow Apple ID to reset this password".

Now their old consultant left on a rather sour note and guess who's AppleID is associated to the admin account? Now I don't think (at least I'm pretty sure) that you can remotely reset a local machine password using your AppleID because that would be pretty dumb. I don't want to jump to conclusions but if all the Admin accounts that are linked to this Apple ID stop working all at once then I start getting suspicious.

Anybody ever seen this happen? This screams to me that someone reset it since it happened across all their client machines pretty much at the same time. I've looked through the logs and can't really find anything suspicious. Does Back To My Mac leave a log file on the local machine?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I just want to thank whoever came up with car analogies to describe technology.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

larchesdanrew posted:

Sure!

Careful, all of those bytes are going to make it heavy. Ask your chief engineer to help you move all the data, and lift with your legs, not your back.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Volmarias posted:

Careful, all of those bytes are going to make it heavy. Ask your chief engineer to help you move all the data, and lift with your legs, not your back.

Literally my life.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

Literally my life.

You're movey?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Migishu posted:

You're movey?

Just trying to earn a paycheck while some fat-titted old man screams at me to do things the wrong way

Gealar
May 2, 2013

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think I heard about your user on the news on my way to classes after work. Was this near the Grand Canyon?

I had a ticket like that at my old job, one of the really pleasant security officers was murdered. It really stung because she was the first person I'd see on my way into work every day and she was always smiling.

You have my condolences. :(

Yeah it was the Grand Canyon and thank you.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

An employee chose to give up their work iPhone in favor of using their personal phone with a monthly reimbursement. The phone's been sitting down here collecting dust for a few weeks. The GM just came in and told me to get it set up for the new digital sales associate.

I went to factory restore the iPhone and now it's stuck in a reboot loop. The idiot that had it before apparently had it jailbroken and now it just errors out of every attempt to restore the firmware.

I'm the idiot. I forgot I jailbroke it last year and never actually did anything with it. Now I'm sitting here and attempting to convey what a "brick" is.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

larchesdanrew posted:

An employee chose to give up their work iPhone in favor of using their personal phone with a monthly reimbursement. The phone's been sitting down here collecting dust for a few weeks. The GM just came in and told me to get it set up for the new digital sales associate.

I went to factory restore the iPhone and now it's stuck in a reboot loop. The idiot that had it before apparently had it jailbroken and now it just errors out of every attempt to restore the firmware.

I'm the idiot. I forgot I jailbroke it last year and never actually did anything with it. Now I'm sitting here and attempting to convey what a "brick" is.

Sounds like the internal memory got to full, and broke the phone. It's "bricked" because its way heavier than it was new, from all the datas.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Siochain posted:

Sounds like the internal memory got to full, and broke the phone. It's "bricked" because its way heavier than it was new, from all the datas.

Attach a Buffalo NAS to the phone to expand its available space. Telcos are networks so it will work with the right adapters.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

18 Character Limit posted:

Attach a Buffalo NAS to the phone to expand its available space. Telcos are networks so it will work with the right adapters.

:golfclap:

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

The Game of Broadcast Towers
In the Game of Towers, you win or you

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Aunt Beth posted:

In the Game of Towers, you win or you

At least two days a week, at 4:00am, I will get a call from the morningside director because he has "somehow" managed to punch up colorbars on the teleprompters and can't get it to go back.

This same guy managed to type "oval office gently caress" on a lower third with an interview with the mayor and said it was an accident because he was sleepy.

I don't know why he still has a job.

I kind of wish I could tell you all where I work, so you can watch this shitshow live.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

larchesdanrew posted:

This same guy managed to type "oval office gently caress" on a lower third with an interview with the mayor and said it was an accident because he was sleepy.

Man, I would die if a teleprompter accident led to the mayor saying "oval office gently caress"

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

At least two days a week, at 4:00am, I will get a call from the morningside director because he has "somehow" managed to punch up colorbars on the teleprompters and can't get it to go back.

I don't know why he still has a job.

I kind of wish I could tell you all where I work, so you can watch this shitshow live.

When I was part of my high school's morning news broadcast I thought the unprofessionalism and fly-by-night poo poo was due to our young age. :stare:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

larchesdanrew posted:

Is it even possible to brick an iPhone with a jailbreak? I was under the impression that much like Macs, they have some ~secret black magic~ that allows for at least partial factory resets from some pretty severely borked OS states.

I mean, at the very least it sounds like an excuse to take an extended lunch break and head to the Apple store.

Merijn posted:

What the gently caress :psyduck: if he never pushed or pulled, did he never wonder why his poo poo never appeared on the server? Was he just commiting everything locally?

It's not quite as :psyduck: as it sounds at first blush, since "local" for us is usually "on a server sandbox that's running the local code repository", so it's not like he was making changes and not seeing the results of them. He probably would have realized his mistake as soon as he needed to get it QA'd, but his host went down while he was 2 months into development and it wasn't at that point yet, soooooo

(If I had to guess, I would assume that he somehow got the impression that "hg commit && hg push" was the same as "git add && git commit". Whoops! Not regularly merging trunk is still pretty inexcusable though.)

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 3, 2015

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Segmentation Fault posted:

When I was part of my high school's morning news broadcast I thought the unprofessionalism and fly-by-night poo poo was due to our young age. :stare:

I didn't work in broadcast (I worked in TV Production) but I can tell you that our production teams were some of the most unprofessional children I have ever met.

Like the time they left two suitcases full of fake weed (oregano) in a rental van and ended up getting the DEA called on them. Or how they staged an armed break-in for a shoot but forgot to tell the local PD or the neighbors (this ended in a SWAT team). Getting pulled over in the production van with active warrants, wrapping said production van around trees and various other cars. The list of really dumb poo poo they thought was cool to do goes on.

Also they never took care of their field laptops and blamed the post team for when they lost footage.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 3, 2015

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Man, I would die if a teleprompter accident led to the mayor saying "oval office gently caress"

No, no, this was the little graphic that shows the name of who's talking. The screen, that tens of thousands of people were looking at, literally had the words oval office gently caress referring to the mayor of our city for a good ten seconds.

Like this:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Jesus, how does a person not get fired for essentially calling the mayor a oval office gently caress on live tv.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Garrand posted:

Jesus, how does a person not get fired for essentially calling the mayor a oval office gently caress on live tv.

Be essential to the continuing working state of the station, apparently.

"Being irreplaceable" is bad, "Thinking you're irreplaceable" is worse, but god help you if you combine the two.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Feels relevant

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/419/petty-tyrant

Petty Tyrant

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
One of my church clients unironically has a workstation named BLUMPKIN and I just got a ticket where someone is very cheerfully requesting access to files on it.

I tried so desperately to find any alternate meaning for that word, but alas.

GentlemansSleepover
Apr 26, 2010

larchesdanrew posted:

No, no, this was the little graphic that shows the name of who's talking. The screen, that tens of thousands of people were looking at, literally had the words oval office gently caress referring to the mayor of our city for a good ten seconds.

I'm glad no one else is at my office right now because I keep laughing out loud every time you mention this. News bloopers get me good. Was the mayor's name even CLOSE to oval office gently caress to make that "I was sleepy" excuse remotely plausible?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

GentlemansSleepover posted:

I'm glad no one else is at my office right now because I keep laughing out loud every time you mention this. News bloopers get me good. Was the mayor's name even CLOSE to oval office gently caress to make that "I was sleepy" excuse remotely plausible?

Not even any similar letters. This isn't the only time he's done this. One time he put "Cunty Clock" instead of "County Clerk."

He's loving abysmal, but I will never fail to laugh when I think of oval office gently caress.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 3, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

GentlemansSleepover posted:

CLINT FLICK?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

One time he put "Cunty Clock" instead of "County Clerk."

Mods??????

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

CLINT FLICK?

CLIT FLICK surely?

Edit:

sfwarlock posted:

I actually worked with a Buffalo Terastation (don't recall the model, some sort of a rackmount formfactor) that consistently slowed way the gently caress down when it was over about 95% or so. Reproducible and everything.

The one time I worked with Terastations (trying to recover data on one by hooking up the drives to another system, and yes this belonged to a lovely small business that didn't want to spend any money), I discovered that that model at least stored the Linux OS on the drives itself. It didn't have separate flash memory for, y'know, the information it actually loving booted off (which was in fact the problem because a drive had failed and somehow taken out the boot partition). So I wonder if in fact the performance problem you saw might have been something like the OS not having enough space for swp or whatever else it needed to operate properly. No idea, but that experience was enough to convince me that there are ways to do home/small business NAS' properly and Buffalo doesn't want to use those ways because it would cost too much.

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Potato Alley posted:

CLIT FLICK surely?

Edit:

The one time I worked with Terastations (trying to recover data on one by hooking up the drives to another system, and yes this belonged to a lovely small business that didn't want to spend any money), I discovered that that model at least stored the Linux OS on the drives itself. It didn't have separate flash memory for, y'know, the information it actually loving booted off (which was in fact the problem because a drive had failed and somehow taken out the boot partition). So I wonder if in fact the performance problem you saw might have been something like the OS not having enough space for swp or whatever else it needed to operate properly. No idea, but that experience was enough to convince me that there are ways to do home/small business NAS' properly and Buffalo doesn't want to use those ways because it would cost too much.

Isn't a synology around the same price? I haven't used their business grade equipment but I do like their home stuff. I could see separate warranty on drives being a huge pain in the rear end for any use case over a dozen drives or so.

• Locked thread