Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Father Wendigo posted:

You do know that certain vault numbers provide unique enemy/loot pools, don't you?
I did not. Is 527 one of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Gnome de plume posted:

I don't mind voiced protags but I'd like it better if H John Benjamin and Aisha Tyler were options.

I hope they provide the option to turn off the protagonist's voice.

LastGoodBoy fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 3, 2015

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Oh, boo. I was hoping someone actually remade FO2 with better graphics or something. :(

Gnome de plume posted:

I don't mind voiced protags but I'd like it better if H John Benjamin and Aisha Tyler were options.

A: Lana! Lannna! LANNNNA!
L: WHAAAAT?!
A: ...Deathclaw Zone.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

Father Wendigo posted:

You do know that certain vault numbers provide unique enemy/loot pools, don't you?

I've seen this posted quite a few times but I don't think anyone has ever shown it to be true? Do you have an article or something?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Turds in magma posted:

I've seen this posted quite a few times but I don't think anyone has ever shown it to be true? Do you have an article or something?

666 doesn't actually guarantee you'll get mobbed by Deathclaws (this seems to be a common misattribution) but it does increase the general difficulty of enemy encounters.
66 greatly increases the chances of two men producing a baby (but not two women).
240 and 301 will prompt NPCs to very rarely (but then repeatedly) shout something about how "I hear there was a great video game company in this area code!"; if this happens to an NPC, they'll usually stop doing whatever job they were assigned to and refuse to follow player commands, effectively breaking them.
867 unlocks a unique NPC named "Tommy 2-Ton" who can show up at your vault; he will leave morale-damaging turds around your compound and generally upset your Vault dwellers.
777 turns Confessor Cromwell into a religious zealot who will actively attempt to build a cult and then kill everybody in the vault. You still have to find him first, though.

Those are the only ones I know.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

The guy also released a horror point and click in isometric view called Stasis, with a soundtrack by Mark Morgan

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

frajaq posted:

drat, a voiced protag affects you that much :(

While a voiced-protagonist isn't the biggest pain in my neck over this, it does represent some problems with understanding the fanbase for this game series.

While there is nothing inherently wrong with a voiced protagonist, it limits what types of mods can be developed for the game. No longer can you make quest mods, because most people can't afford to pay $5000 to get the voice actors to come to their basement and record their lines for them in the game. Instead, you'd have to go to certain contrivances to have the protagonist never talk directly to the NPC's they are going to interact with and it is going to create a huge gap in the experience. I suppose if all you really look for are gameplay changing mods, this isn't going to affect you much, but it's sort of acting as a barrier and that isn't exactly just a net positive.

My personal pet-peevee with this change comes in the form of a limited dialogue wheel. Yes, sure, you could nest the replies in groups upon groups. But that becomes really cumbersome and people would probably respond better to their responses being presented to them as a list, since they could quickly read over all of their possible replies and pick one.

This is only as far as modding goes however, as I'm sure it will not really be a problem to Bethesda, considering how they structure their quests. I guess this says more about how much I always mod my Bethesda games than it does about the quality of Fallout 4 in this aspect.

In the grand scheme of things though, this is a minor negative. It comes down to the quality of content.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mordaedil posted:

While there is nothing inherently wrong with a voiced protagonist, it limits what types of mods can be developed for the game. No longer can you make quest mods, because most people can't afford to pay $5000 to get the voice actors to come to their basement and record their lines for them in the game. Instead, you'd have to go to certain contrivances to have the protagonist never talk directly to the NPC's they are going to interact with and it is going to create a huge gap in the experience. I suppose if all you really look for are gameplay changing mods, this isn't going to affect you much, but it's sort of acting as a barrier and that isn't exactly just a net positive.

or you just put in blank .mp3s and use subtitles like 90% of quest mods already do

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Sep 3, 2015

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Moridin920 posted:

or you just put in blank .mp3s and use subtitles like 90% of quest mods already do

Exactly. Don't get why that isn't the first solution given how simple it is.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Moridin920 posted:

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
So help me by Todd Howard's ghost i better be able to kill everyone i see with a toaster. Junk Guns all the way.

The only good Super Mutant is one with a Vault-tec clock embedded in his skull cavity.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

idk what your point is.

how does having a voiced protagonist necessitate voice acting in a quest mod? skyrim has voiced NPCs and when you play a quest mod they're all either just silent or have some amateur voice acting done and you have to play with subtitles on.

just seems like such a non-issue.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Don't you understand? MY IMMERSION!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
lol consoles limited responses due to buttons

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I love how we are back to the "4 OPTIONS? THAT IS SO LIMITING. VOICE ACTING RUINS EVERYTHING!" argument.

Please, just go all the way and argue how Bethesda is focusing way too much on graphics and the game would work better if it would be text only.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The only thing I can think of that would bother me is it's true you could pick an option and have the PC actually say something a little different from what you were thinking but that's not that big of a deal to me and I don't think it'll be as bad as people are thinking it will be.

It's not like you're gonna big the obvious good option and have your PC blow someone's head off.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Azhais posted:

Honestly I'm over deathclaws. Way better than Raiders, at least they break in fast and die fast. It was an issue for a bit then I rearranged the base and put everyone with good weapons and levels up front in the first three rooms and that's that.

What pisses me off are Molerats. gently caress Molerats.

Molerats were the last straw for me and what made me delete the app. I'd just managed to get about half of my population back after the last invasion when all of a sudden BAM, another group of them invade and kill off my understaffed vault people, even going so far as to murder my powerarmor-clad, 40+ level guy with a hardened combat shotgun without losing a single rat.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

You know what other game also had the digital 4 option support while its predecessor had a long list of full lines?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYA6Y67NXMc

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

evilmiera posted:

Molerats were the last straw for me and what made me delete the app. I'd just managed to get about half of my population back after the last invasion when all of a sudden BAM, another group of them invade and kill off my understaffed vault people, even going so far as to murder my powerarmor-clad, 40+ level guy with a hardened combat shotgun without losing a single rat.

My method of dealing with things like molerats that appear in rooms that can't handle them is simple: I evacuate the room and only leave one person there. Ideally one heavily armed person, but anyone will do. Monster damage in this game appears to be a room-wide, not some pool of dps spread amongst the occupants evenly, so one dude gets hurt as fast as six dudes. Given the lovely UI in this game, healing six guys is a pain in the rear end, so I just keep one guy in there and forcefeed him stims.

I also keep a levelled well armed dude in each quadrant of my vault and give them a unique outfit so I can find them easily, so I drag six guys out of a room, drag the nearest ninja in, and heal through it in a controlled fashion.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

T. Howard posted:

"Fate continues to play a pervasive role in the Fallout universe. For example, you'll see that the player has four possible responses to the Vault-Tec salesman...some of them are along the lines of 'Tell me more', whereas others are immediately dismissive. This gives the player a greater sense of what I'd like to call 'granular identity discovery'; he can be rude or polite, snide or inquisitive.

"However, in this particular scenario, we can't have the player outright refuse the salesman--then there wouldn't be a way for him to save his (or her) family, get frozen for two centuries, or even find out who's been experimenting with them. That's the whole point of the game. But there'd be no game. So fate ensures that this humble...digital salesman...closes the sale, regardless of how the player approaches the conversation. It's not quite a looping dialogue but it's pretty close. Actually it's very similar to--if you remember it--Fallout 3's closing scene, wherein the player must type a code and save the DC Wasteland. All of his party members will refuse to stand in for the player because that's not the point of the exercise--it's about fate and sacrifice."

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Okay and that's different from F1, F2, F3, and FNV because......

95% of dialogue in those games was 4 options or less and there were plenty of things you couldn't do because of plot/gameplay reasons. You couldn't for example kick your dad in the balls in F3 and tell him you hate him, you couldn't tell your Arroyo tribe to guzzle cum and gently caress their water chip, etc.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

This is everything wrong with what I've seen of FO4. All summed up in a beautiful train wreck of a quote :allears:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

A. Beaverhausen posted:

This is everything wrong with what I've seen of FO4. All summed up in a beautiful train wreck of a quote :allears:

:jerkbag:

how is it any different from any other fallout game? or even the elder scrolls games? even Morrowind didn't let you tell Azura to go gently caress herself.

Saying "we can't give you the option to refuse the basic premise of the game because then there would be no game and you'd just get blown up in your house" isn't a big deal whatsoever.

And if anything "some of them are along the lines of 'Tell me more'" confirms the possibility of nested dialogue so the 'only 4 options' thing is disingenuous to claim.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 3, 2015

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Moridin920 posted:

:jerkbag:

how is it any different from any other fallout game? or even the elder scrolls games? even Morrowind didn't let you tell Azura to go gently caress herself.

Saying "we can't give you the option to refuse the basic premise of the game because then there would be no game and you'd just get blown up in your house" isn't a big deal whatsoever.

It's the difference between being forced to stay in a jail cell vs a pet carrier. You're still restricted, ones just way more unbearable than the other.

E: it is when you think the basic premise of you having a family is bullshit to start with.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

A. Beaverhausen posted:

It's the difference between being forced to stay in a jail cell vs a pet carrier. You're still restricted, ones just way more unbearable than the other.

I really think you're reaching to be upset about something.

You want to be able to tell the Vault-Tec dude to gently caress off so you can sit and get blown up in the intro? Just turn the console/PC off then. It's hardly being put in a jail cell or pet carrier.

I mean it's a video game bro not full on post-apocalypse virtual reality freedom. There has to be some structure to it. It'd be like if you got to the Seyda Neen immigration office and got mad because you had to complete immigration forms before you could start playing, or that you couldn't tell Doc Brown to go gently caress himself when he asks the SPECIAL questions at the start of New Vegas. It's part of the intro ffs!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

E: it is when you think the basic premise of you having a family is bullshit to start with.

yeah just like F1, F2, and F3

sounds like F4 is gonna ruin the series and be an on rails dad simulator.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 3, 2015

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Fortunately nobody is retarded enough to hold such a dumb notion.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Moridin920 posted:

I really think you're reaching to be upset about something.

You want to be able to tell the Vault-Tec dude to gently caress off so you can sit and get blown up in the intro? Just turn the console/PC off then. It's hardly being put in a jail cell or pet carrier.

I mean it's a video game bro not full on post-apocalypse virtual reality freedom. There has to be some structure to it.

yeah just like F1, F2, and F3

sounds like F4 is gonna ruin the series and be an on rails dad simulator.

I can't discuss poo poo with you if you honestly don't see the forced hetero loving parent and spouse as a 'bad thing'. It is the most basic, bottom of the barrell, laziest attempt at maudlin sentimentality.

steinrokkan posted:

Fortunately nobody is retarded enough to hold such a dumb notion.

I've seen quite a few people in this thread alone, so...

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If you want to play a blank slate character with no identity through which to live vicariously, may I recommend Minecraft?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

steinrokkan posted:

If you want to play a blank slate character with no identity through which to live vicariously, may I recommend Minecraft?

Naw bro, Skyrim is p cool.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I can't discuss poo poo with you if you honestly don't see the forced hetero loving parent and spouse as a 'bad thing'. It is the most basic, bottom of the barrell, laziest attempt at maudlin sentimentality.

Yeah good thing I didn't say that way to leap to conclusions.

I'm obviously not saying F4 is perfect in every way how dare you disparage it. I'm just saying you're really reaching for things to get upset about and the game isn't even out.

Would I like more of a blank slate? Sure. Am I upset because in F4 you have a background for the character (again just like every other fallout except New Vegas and even that had some background)? Nah not really because after the intro is over I can do whatever I want including totally ignoring the main quest and having gay sex all over the wasteland.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Naw bro, Skyrim is p cool.

So you're mad that one series of games by a publisher isn't exactly like another series of games by the same publisher. Okay?

Also you're not exactly blank slate in Skyrim either. It's bullshit that I'm FORCED to be a dragonborn and get arrested by Imperials!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Skyrim forces you into the bottom-of-the-barrel archetype of saviour of the world to elicit positive feelings. What a piece of trash.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Moridin920 posted:

Nah not really because after the intro is over I can do whatever I want including totally ignoring the main quest and having gay sex all over the wasteland.

Is this confirmed? Pre-ordering special edition now.

steinrokkan posted:

Skyrim forces you into the bottom-of-the-barrel archetype of saviour of the world to elicit positive feelings. What a piece of trash.

You aren't wrong. Still preferable to the FO4 setup.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
good thing an alternate start mod for Skyrim was one of the first mods to come out after boobs and macho dragons.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Is this confirmed? Pre-ordering special edition now.

idk duder just check it out when it comes out and if you like it consider purchasing it. no one has a gun to your head forcing you to decide whether you want to spend money on a product before it even comes out.

my main point is that people leap to conclusions based on nothing at all itt and it's absurd. Someone complained about the impossibility of quest mods because of voiced protagonist and when I asked 'what are you talking about' they posted a completely irrelevant picture with no comment as if that was supposed to explain anything.

I'm just happy it looks like the framework for mods is much improved.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 3, 2015

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Some of the people in this thread seem very maladjusted and I don't know if that's their irrational hatred for new things or maybe Hitler Howard but it's hosed Up and Funny.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Can't wait to gun dudes down and blow their heads off with grenades while jet packing around my death castle in power armour with dildos painted all over it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bob NewSCART posted:

Can't wait to gun dudes down and blow their heads off with grenades while jet packing around my death castle in power armour with dildos painted all over it.

the power armor looks awesome I'm glad they did something interesting with it

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
They SHOULD let you decline the salesman. Let you "play house" for about 10 minutes before the world explodes. Mow the lawn, feed the cat, help your kids with their homework... That kinda thing.

Then there's a flash and ~ fade to white ~ game over.

[fake edit]
Or drag that poo poo out for hours and make you feel like a horrible horrible person.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ak Gara posted:

They SHOULD let you decline the salesman. Let you "play house" for about 10 minutes before the world explodes. Mow the lawn, feed the cat, help your kids with their homework... That kinda thing.

Then there's a flash and ~ fade to white ~ game over.

[fake edit]
Or drag that poo poo out for hours and make you feel like a horrible horrible person.

You know there's gonna be a mod for it a couple months after the mod tools come out anyway.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It was pretty great when Far Cry 4 did the exact same thing. Nevertheless, ultimately it (and any such dramatic violation of the narrative) is just an easter egg, and doesn't actually improve your quality of life as a player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Bethesda gets so much disproportionate hatred compared to other much shittier video companies that it's hilarious

• Locked thread