Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
At what point did anyone expect something that wasn't made from tinfoil and being off medication? Also, you watched a crazy person be crazy for ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cardiac posted:

Or to put it like this. In the 15 years I have I have waited (lol) for the rest of asoiaf to come out, I started and finished the malazan series. And then I reread it 2 times.

In the time since i finished ADWD (which was mid-late 2013, I think?) I've read:

The entire Riftwar Cycle (some of it multiple times)
Every Cosmere book except Elantris and Emperor's Soul, just finished a reread of the Stormlight Archives as well
Rothfuss's over-hyped Kingkiller books
First Law
A few random series I picked up on sale for $1-2 like the Cycle of Arawn
...and a few others.

Gurm is never going to finish the books so that list is just going to keep growing.

Krinkle posted:

He keeps saying that Dany remembers a house with a red door and a lemon tree, but wait--bravos doesn't have trees--so obviously she's dornish, or whatever the gently caress, but holy gently caress I just read in the sam chapter where he punches dareon and gets thrown in the river that he wanted a fire to warm up aemon, who is dying, but the only trees are behind walls in rich peoples' manses and they don't cut those down for nobody. It literally says there if you're rich enough you get a loving tree in your yard. What a goddamn dummy.

He's truly the fan ASOIAF deserves.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

rejutka posted:

At what point did anyone expect something that wasn't made from tinfoil and being off medication? Also, you watched a crazy person be crazy for ages.

All the best art comes from this.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Junkenstein posted:

Euron has been cast.

It's a different guy than Darrio.

This doesn't really mean anything. There is no way for them to have him not be a different guy without spoiling it if the theory is true. It may still be true in the books and they A. dropped it to avoid spoiling the books as part of some a contract about if they show finishes before the books or B. they can still pull out a "it was magic shapeshifting disguise" bullshit thing which probably IS in the books (but we'll never know.)

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

edit:more like Euron Wall Eye

edit2:

kcroy fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 3, 2015

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

If that's Euron, who the gently caress is Ian McShane playing?

Let me guess. Cock Merchant #2. Or maybe we'll get the other side of the coin. The Pussy Merchant.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

kcroy posted:

edit:more like Euron Wall Eye

edit2:

[img]
I keep seeing pudgy Ewan MacGregor.

ruddiger posted:

Let me guess. Cock Merchant #2. Or maybe we'll get the other side of the coin. The Pussy Merchant.
General expectation seems to be him playing Randyll Tarly.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

rejutka posted:

Actually I think the funny thing is that after all the tinfoil he reaches a semi-reasonable conclusion that has absolutely nothing to do with any of his more specific theories. As far as his final 2 videos are concerned it makes absolutely no difference whether Dany was raised in Braavos or not, she's just a pawn of fake prophecies anyway, same for every other theory he's had, whether completely tinfoil or somewhat reasonable.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Pretty significant S6 spoilers + TWoW implications:

http://watchersonthewall.com/new-im...e=socialnetwork

Basically: Theon is filming scenes in the Iron Islands involving Euron and a newly cast Aeron

Jaime + Bronn are heading to the Riverlands next season

Arya is filming scenes in the Riverlands too :getin:

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

this_is_hard posted:

Pretty significant S6 spoilers + TWoW implications:

http://watchersonthewall.com/new-im...e=socialnetwork

Basically: Theon is filming scenes in the Iron Islands involving Euron and a newly cast Aeron

Jaime + Bronn are heading to the Riverlands next season

Arya is filming scenes in the Riverlands too :getin:

I don't know I feel like next season is going to be making up for a lot of stuff that was cut out of the last two books.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Gianthogweed posted:

I don't know I feel like next season is going to be making up for a lot of stuff that was cut out of the last two books.

They better loving cast Victarion if only for the shield island battle.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Ray Stevenson's off playing Blackbeard on Black Sails, though.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

In the time since i finished ADWD (which was mid-late 2013, I think?) I've read:

Every Cosmere book except Elantris and Emperor's Soul, just finished a reread of the Stormlight Archives as well
First Law
...and a few others.

Gurm is never going to finish the books so that list is just going to keep growing.

I'm on track to finish the Wheel of Time series before the next book comes out.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Space Pussy posted:

They better loving cast Victarion if only for the shield island battle.

I like the part where he makes sacrifices to three different Gods at once, just hedging his bets. Very practical

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

A Typical Goon posted:

I like the part where he makes sacrifices to three different Gods at once, just hedging his bets. Very practical

I enjoyed his ruminations on dusky women and romance in general.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I don't remember a goddamn thing about him in dance besides he said haha time to steal Euron's bride revenge is the best i'm a bitchy teenager.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

They're probably going to streamline the kingsmoot have Yara/Asha be the only opponent to Euron at the kingsmoot. Victarion would be fun though.

Krinkle posted:

He keeps saying that Dany remembers a house with a red door and a lemon tree, but wait--bravos doesn't have trees--so obviously she's dornish, or whatever the gently caress, but holy gently caress I just read in the sam chapter where he punches dareon and gets thrown in the river that he wanted a fire to warm up aemon, who is dying, but the only trees are behind walls in rich peoples' manses and they don't cut those down for nobody. It literally says there if you're rich enough you get a loving tree in your yard. What a goddamn dummy.

On the other hand there is literally a part where some dudes ask if they can get some lemons and the person says "What do you think this is? Dorne?". Which to me seems like it could be GRRM foreshadowing the poo poo out of it actually being Dorne. Maybe, possibly, perhaps.

Not that it really matters since the house with the red door is first and foremost a symbol of Daenty's lost innocence and childhood and how she isn't at home anywhere she goes and poo poo. Sort of like how Daario is mostly just a personification of the allure of violence and war but a lot of people spend ages trying to figure out how he must also be a pirate wizard that lives thousands of miles away because both of them compared men to meat once.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

If you were going to have one single ornamental tree brought to your manse at great expense you'd get a goddamn exotic fruit tree so that every time someone came over they'd say "holy poo poo a lemon tree" you wouldn't get a goddamn spruce pine or dogwood.

e: For all his madness and stupidity preston jacobs can sure pick out a word from a phrase and make it seem supremely important. Euron puts down all his kids as being no better than poo poo from his butt, and says "ain't none of them gonna sit the seastone chair. to make a son worthy of him I"ll need a super fine lady"

Who is 'him'? His brother, Balon, The last guy to sit the chair? Kind of weird to think about pumping out human beings worthy of your brother. The seastone chair? That was the last noun he used before he switched to pronouns but it's weird to give a chair a gender outside of the german language. The night king? He keeps saying the long night is coming and he's gonna live it up before then. It's kind of hosed up but I can't see him as doing anything but helping along Armageddon as long as he gets to sit the iron throne for like two seconds before the ice zombie tide washes over everything.

Also he said he had a dragon egg and tossed it overboard when he flipped his personality indicating he has bipolar disorder. I don't think Daario has mood swings. Dude is just sultry as poo poo 24/7.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Sep 4, 2015

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

First Law
...and a few others.

I "waited" 5 years for Feast and 5 years for Dance, or well, rather I finished off more fantasy and scifi series than I can remember.
I guess I am "waiting" for the next one, but honestly, nowadays I am more interested where this train wreck is going to end up.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Cardiac posted:

but honestly, nowadays I am more interested where this train wreck is going to end up.

HBO

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Cardiac posted:

I "waited" 5 years for Feast and 5 years for Dance, or well, rather I finished off more fantasy and scifi series than I can remember.
I guess I am "waiting" for the next one, but honestly, nowadays I am more interested where this train wreck is going to end up.

I don't get it, are you saying you didnt wait for adwd and are not waiting for the next one?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

No one wants the books to come out. Maybe gurm's publisher does. Between gurm and Rothfuss, I believe they have out not-written any other professional active writers in the last 5 years. Hands down.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

TommyGun85 posted:

I don't get it, are you saying you didnt wait for adwd and are not waiting for the next one?

Preorders for Dance started out one year after Feast was released and I preordered Dance then thinking it would come out within a year, as he wrote in the introduction. Four years later, they write me an email saying I have had this preorder for four years and do I really want this book now?
In hindsight I should have said no and continued to live in blissful ignorance.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Solice Kirsk posted:

No one wants the books to come out. Maybe gurm's publisher does. Between gurm and Rothfuss, I believe they have out not-written any other professional active writers in the last 5 years. Hands down.

Rothfuss looks like a goony fucker and 20-30 years from now I can definitely see him being a fat(er) grey haired guy wearing suspenders while creeping on convention-goers.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

ruddiger posted:

McShane is playing the The Bad Pussy and will become Bronn's new buddy-knight.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Ian McShane and Bronn in the same area, hanging out is loving gold. I'm cool with it.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Season 5 was a self inflicted wound for this series and had the fewest great scenes and the worst season long narrative in conjunction with incomprehensible character interactions. The ratings dipped appreciably and critical reviews started to become scathing against the show, in addition to some unnecessary high profile reactions to events like Sansa's consummation, which had a US Senator swearing off the show for being too gratuitous. Then HBO came out and contradicted D&D by saying that the conversation was never about if the season would be 7 seasons, but instead about how many more seasons there would film after 7.

Combine all that with D&D's clear tiring of the series, their lack of planning after the Red Wedding, and I think we have a situation where HBO is creeping its control over the series and forcing D&D into the backseat. There's no way of knowing until after this season how it'll pan out, but there are enough good moments in books 4 and 5 to flesh out season 6 with great scenes, great characters and maybe even atone for the 10 hour shitfest that was season 5. Jaime's storyline in the Riverlands is fantastic and it touches on events and characters reaching back to the first season in addition to letting us look at vengeance finally get taken against the Frey's, Tyrion ruling Mereen is a great canvas, Dany is in uncharted territory, the North rising against the Boltons and the Ironborn dynamics all could be high lights for season 6. The Kingsmoot is as good as any other scene in the series and the best possible intro for a game changer like Euron. There are downsides such as Dorne, and the fact that they're likely going to gently caress up half the above storylines, but I think there's good reason to be interested in season 6.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Your optimism will prove to be a weakness. The show is likely far too unwieldy and fatigued after 5 seasons to manage all of those disparate elements well, even if on-paper there's no reason they couldn't put together a half-decent seasons of television.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Hope is a mistake. If you can't fix what's broken you'll go insane.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
If you think this has a happy ending, etc.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

counterfeitsaint posted:

If you think this has a happy ending, etc.

Fixed that for you.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

i81icu812 posted:

Fixed that for you.

Thank you, good point.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brother Friendship posted:

Then HBO came out and contradicted D&D by saying that the conversation was never about if the season would be 7 seasons, but instead about how many more seasons there would film after 7.

so confirmed 8+ ?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

kcroy posted:

so confirmed 8+ ?

I don't think D&D want an eighth season. They probably have other series they want to eventually destroy.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I reckon there's a touching of bet-hedging. I reckon they're willing to do an eighth season unless they want to shove a foie gras amount down our throats for the seventh season.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I wish flula borg did his episode summaries in his broken English past season 3 i thought those were funny but it looks like he just makes bad photoshops on my twitter timeline now.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

From what I've seen of what has been discussed for season 6 it sounds a lot like the other half of feast and dance that was cut. Riverlands/bwb stuff, greyjoys, maybe joncon and a lot of filler for Tyrion, Dany and the nights watch. I would be surprised if the majority of content is new.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

I'm highly doubting that they'd introduce JonCon after already absorbing him into Jorah.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

geeves posted:

I don't think D&D want an eighth season. They probably have other series they want to eventually destroy.

kcroy posted:

so confirmed 8+ ?

It doesn't really matter how many seasons they make, the show will still finish before grum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

i81icu812 posted:

It doesn't really matter how many seasons they make, at least the show will still finish before grum.