Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
According to the signs at Barlow, Pick N Pull's 50% off day starts a few days early (like, it's on right now) if you have the Pick N Pull club card or whatever (which I have never figured out how to get).

But yeah, glad I got those Justy parts for kastein last weekend because everything is gonna be skeletonized now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

if you have the Pick N Pull club card or whatever (which I have never figured out how to get).

Just ask (at 52nd because they have less idiots on payroll) for a signup form to get a toolkit card.

So Stampede Toyota's parts truck(s?) is/are done up in the old Castrol TTE livery now (sans actual Castrol logos). Raddest commercial vehicle wrap ever.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 3, 2015

wildemere
Nov 19, 2013
Hi Alberta guys. I've been lurking in this thread for a while. Thought I might post... A slight effort post below.

I am an Aussie.
I spent 3 months there in 1984. I was in my 20's
I stayed in Bashaw with my buddy that I met here.
Things I remember the most.

The Northern lights.
The 1969 Rambler American I bought for $350 and drove to Vancouver for the expo then on to the island. (it required a brake job & a new battery but ran well)
Crossing the Rockies twice, the second time on the 3. First time through Banff ect on the 1. Just beautiful.
Skiing in Banff.
The peelers, every bar had peelers.
The hash oil joints, The Jamacian Rum and shuffle board for money. A great combination. I also saw Oilers v Flames in Edmonton in a Stanley Cup game. A lady in the crowd took a puck to the neck and was stretchered out, I also have a souvenir puck from that game.
The ease of getting Canadian pussy, Constant amazement at my accent which led to even more moisture...
Hutterites. WTF. They wanted to kidnap me for breeding... Or so my friends say, it was a long running joke that they wanted Aussie blood.
Was on the second page of the Bashaw Star newspaper for being an Aussie tourist. Was assembling bicycles at the sports store.
Curling rink- more Canadian pussy there as well.
My buddy was a gun freak, he owned the sports shop in town. Owned over 90 guns, drove a Jeep. could shoot a varmint at over 350 yards with a 220 Swift & a bipod. The round would turn the varmint inside out even at that range. He let me shoot everything he owned. From 45cal pistols & revolvers to 50cal black powder rifles. Some of his stuff was antique, wild west handguns and rifles The most powerful were his shotguns. Left my shoulder black & blue for days. We went shooting one day in his Jeep, there was three of us using .22 and the floor of the Jeep was half an inch deep in brass. All while pissing it up on Molsons... driving offroad through the prairie shooting gophers.

It was a memorable trip.

I also got arrested for DUI near Red Deer and spent the night in jail with your fine natives.

So all considered a great holiday experience.

All my photos from that trip are on 35mm Kodachrome slides. Still in good condition, around 20rolls x 36 frames taken with an Olympus OM1 SLR using 3 different lenses.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I am beginning to understand, in a very small way, why there are so many lifted full-size pickups here in Ft. McNowhere. I spent all day watching and listening to the model 797 heavy haulers grind up and down the haul road at The Site, and driving back into town I had a moment of genuine puzzlement when I passed a Ford Escape. Whatthefuckisthat? Said the part of my brain recently immunized to think an F250 counted as "tiny". I spent time today looking at B-train gravel transports and wondering if a 797 would notice if it ran one over accidentally.

Big trucks are big, is the point I'm making. Today was a long day, tomorrow will be similar.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I could play with this stuff all day

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

What is it? Looks like some sort of plastic.

In an unrelated note, the cops are cracking down on something in a big way on Deerfoot today. Saw half a dozen separate pull-overs on my way up to the airport and a ton of marked and unmarked cruisers everywhere. No idea what that something they're looking for is; knowing how bad Deerfoot is it could be literally anything.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh sorry yeah, that might have helped. Dry ice. I am amused easily.

Had a big 4.4375 bushing going into an 8" tube which had a bigger interference fit than I thought.

Not Calgary related but we had a commercial enforcement blitz here a couple weeks ago and it was a clusterfuck with traffic. I think the news report said that something like 50% of all trucks inspected had to be towed away. They inspected every single truck and commercial vehicle driving through on highway 3 and 4.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Are any of you guys in BC? I might be going to Surrey to look at an old 60's corolla sprinter and I need a bloodbag in case I get shot.

Seriously though I know nothing about Corolla's and could use the mechanical advice.

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.

Those wouldn't happen to be pre-2012 GM 8 bolt wheels would they? If so, what size are the tires, do you have center caps and how much do you want?

This is the kind of poo poo you have to put up with when you fix a rig truck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlkX2Ge-AgM

It gushed when I first pulled the plug. It was either on a huge slope or off the truck when they fixed it.

Nomex fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 3, 2015

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Dry ice is a great toy. I bought a tea-bomb (one of those metal egg-sized basket things on a chain you can put loose tea leaves in) specifically so I could put dry ice into my drinks and not worry about accidentally swallowing any. PROBABLY it would just make me belch enormously, but I'd rather not press something at -80 C up against the inside of my esophagus.

Because I'm clever (read: horribly, horribly nerdy. Intolerably nerdy. You should just wedgie me immediately, I think), I came up with a drink involving dry ice:

1 part vodka
1 part cranberry juice (NOT cranberry cocktail - no-sugar-added 100% pure cranberry juice is what's needed here. Not something that's 50% apple juice and sweetened beyond the pale)
About as much dry ice as slidebite is holding in that picture
Club soda to fill the glass

Pour the vodka and cranberry juice into a tall, narrow glass. Drop in the dry ice (in a tea-bomb if available), fill to brim with club soda.

I call it a "Martian Stark" because it's very loving dry tasting ("tart" only gets you half-way there in terms of describing the taste, it's loving stark!), it's red, and the atmosphere that comes bubbling and foaming and wispily pouring out all over the place from it is mostly CO2 and very cold water vapour, similar to the atmosphere of the Red Planet.

Aren't I clever?

EDIT: you can put dry ice into beer directly, there's little chance of accidentally swallowing it because it foams the hell out of the beer. Not like normal beer-foarm / head, this is like sticking an aquarium bubbler into soapy water. When the bubbles burst in your face, you get little shots of acid right into your eyes! And the beer gets a bit sour-tasting.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nomex posted:

Those wouldn't happen to be pre-2012 GM 8 bolt wheels would they? If so, what size are the tires, do you have center caps and how much do you want?

This is the kind of poo poo you have to put up with when you fix a rig truck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlkX2Ge-AgM

It gushed when I first pulled the plug. It was either on a huge slope or off the truck when they fixed it.

No, they're 07 king ranch F350 wheels, and the tires are huge and they're mine, don't touch! they're about 34" x 11", gonna stick em on a 2wd truck, should be interesting.

Also, when your transfer case randomly develops holes, it's best to have as much fluid in there as will fit!

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.

Powershift posted:

No, they're 07 king ranch F350 wheels, and the tires are huge and they're mine, don't touch! they're about 34" x 11", gonna stick em on a 2wd truck, should be interesting.

Also, when your transfer case randomly develops holes, it's best to have as much fluid in there as will fit!

I've heard of the notorious transfer case issues, but it hasn't leaked a drop since I let a bunch out. Too bad about the wheels. Why a 2wd? You can probably score a cheap 4x4 for like $3k

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

MustardFacial posted:

Are any of you guys in BC? I might be going to Surrey to look at an old 60's corolla sprinter and I need a bloodbag in case I get shot.

Seriously though I know nothing about Corolla's and could use the mechanical advice.

I'm in New Westminster, which is on the good side of the Fraser from Surrey. I'm probably free Sunday afternoon and Monday if you're looking at the car on those days. My old Toyota knowledge doesn't stretch earlier than an 82 Tercel.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nomex posted:

I've heard of the notorious transfer case issues, but it hasn't leaked a drop since I let a bunch out. Too bad about the wheels. Why a 2wd? You can probably score a cheap 4x4 for like $3k

Because it's a 7.3 powerstroke with 190,000kms, and i paid $750 for it. $3k in a 4x4 would get you a 600,000km 7.3. it also wouldn't get the ~21mpg highway i'm at now, or even have the possibility of the 25mpg goal.

i've got a project thread on it here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3734747

This is what it currently looks like.

ed: also got 2 pallets of decorative bricks into it yesterday. about 1000lbs a pallet

The suspension didn't enjoy it but the engine didn't even notice it was there. it basically paid for itself with one load.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 4, 2015

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
Yeah nevermind. You're not getting a powerstroke that cheap, and swapping anything to a different truck would be a nightmare.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

:siren: :siren: this is not a test :siren: :siren:

Princess auto has a bunch of radio shack stuff in their surplus section. Arduinos and resistor packs and led packs.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

:stare: Oh shiiiit. Time for a trip to Princess Auto.

Thank You Powershift - this is why I love AI.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I wonder if the Ontario locations have them too

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
poo poo. Grab me some Arduinos. I don't even care what kind.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

8ender posted:

I wonder if the Ontario locations have them too

Here are the Internet links for some of them. I can't find the arduino price.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/led-component-pack/A-p8601783e

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/resistor-component-pack/A-p8601775e

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'm here at the NE one and have found some Arduino shields in a pile but no actual Arduinos yet. I think it's a stock pile anyway so the actual pegs must be somewhere else in this maze.

The tinker kit base kit is $50 which is a little steep for PA surplus.

Edit: Ethernet shield I found is $20. So okay prices after shipping, nothing to drive like a dong over here for.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 5, 2015

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Whelp I did something really stupid today. I stopped by a Ford dealer and looked at the '15 F150's. Due to Conroy leaving Edmonton and my intention to pick up the slack of 13B rebuilds from his increased schedule and distance - a truck will greatly improve my productivity and quality of life. Plus I have a bike to make up for the lack of convertible-ness.

The big question now is 5.0 or 3.5L ecoboost. I'm heavily leaning towards the 5.0 for four reasons.
1) See SSW's AV
2) Real world fuel economy when not towing is better in the V8 (at least that's what most reviews I've read have indicated.)
3) I rarely will be towing - which is when the turbo V6's shine
4) The wife agrees with the future plan of 2.9L whipple and turbos for ultimate burnouts and hoonage over the V6. Plus initially a more simple engine is good and long tubes are cheap and sound awesome. I may or may not have also shown her footage of the Bama Ghost tunes.

The plan is to try and sell the Wrangler privately and see if I can get ~4k more than I owe on it (basd on kijiji pricing and the dealer black book - it should be doable) / see what the dealership will offer on trade in with all the incentives floating around this month.

That being said - if I don't come out financially ahead on this pipe dream - it's staying just that.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 7, 2015

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I know there's a lot of hate on for the ecoboost right now but I've been really impressed with my truck. People are saying the 5.0 is better on gas, and it might be, but I can tell you the ecoboost does better than all of my friend's Toyotas, nissans and gmc's. If the 5.0 can be even better than that, I'll be impressed.

Edit: Tremor? TREMOR? http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/2016-ford-f-150-brings-back-the-sexy-tremor-trim-with-a-1713621873

DrakeriderCa fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 7, 2015

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

The goal is to build something like the OG Lightnings and the Tremors. The truck will be RWD and extended cab. Sadly no reg cab because of dog(s). So drop kit and go fast bits.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

DrakeriderCa posted:

I know there's a lot of hate on for the ecoboost right now but I've been really impressed with my truck. People are saying the 5.0 is better on gas, and it might be, but I can tell you the ecoboost does better than all of my friend's Toyotas, nissans and gmc's. If the 5.0 can be even better than that, I'll be impressed.

Is it just in a pickup truck application that the 3.5L has people hating? I was under the impression that it was a really really good engine.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

DrakeriderCa posted:

I'm not sure how different the packaging is on my friend's flex, but that thing gets 12L/100km and has the added bonus of looking like a hearse.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

The hate from everything I've read comes from the fact that you get Eco or Boost. Never both. Most tests with the trucks show that the 3.5L gets worse fuel economy when actually boosting and doing work vs. the V8's.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

McTinkerson posted:

The hate from everything I've read comes from the fact that you get Eco or Boost. Never both. Most tests with the trucks show that the 3.5L gets worse fuel economy when actually boosting and doing work vs. the V8's.

That makes sense, though I can't blame Ford for it. At least here in Ontario the amount of F150's that do work are greatly outnumbered by the ones that truck one dude to his office everyday.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That's kind of just the property of Gasoline. With an empty ecoboost with cruise control @ 110 just before it builds boost you get some good highway mileage. Under boost the motors HAVE to run rich to keep the combustion chamber temps from rising. You're looking at another 20% fuel consumption to make a certain horsepower versus an N/A motor. You could lean it out and cool it with a water/ethanol injection and likely gain power especially on hot days, but I don't know how large a reservoir you would need to supply enough for a highway trip with hills etc.

However the ecoboost stomps on the 5.0L and even betters the 6.2L on average horsepower across the rpm range, and is tune-able to the low-mid 400rwhp mark with very little effort (exhaust, chip, downpipe) If it was the mustang version of the coyote it would be a different story. The

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
I would think that if you plan to keep the truck for longer than the warranty period you would want the V8. There's a poo poo ton of parts in the ecoboost system that could go wrong.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Nomex posted:

I would think that if you plan to keep the truck for longer than the warranty period you would want the V8. There's a poo poo ton of parts in the ecoboost system that could go wrong.

True, but you can basically rebuild the entire system out of aftermarket parts already - I'm starting to lean towards the 3.5L based on usage and how that will play in to fuel economy. Plus the burnouts these things can do stock.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

True, but you can basically rebuild the entire system out of aftermarket parts already - I'm starting to lean towards the 3.5L based on usage and how that will play in to fuel economy. Plus the burnouts these things can do stock.

With ford canada's FAHV HUNNERT PERCENT mark up on parts, you'd pretty much have to.

The only reason i'm keeping the powerstroke is because there's nothing on it i'll ever have to go to ford for. Whatever fails, you replace with something aftermarket for another hunnert horsepower.

I have no reason to ever set foot on a ford lot again.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Is there a new trend going around with Dodge Ram owners where they plastidip just the big Ram logo on the back of the tailgate some ghastly color that clashes with the rest of the truck?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Highlighting small pieces of trim in lime green or blaze orange has been a thing - dunno about "trend" - for along time.

I like the Flex, Ford made some with the ecoboost engine and AWD; I don't know if it was available with a manual transmission, but that sounds like a pretty great rally-wagon to me. If the fuel economy sucks that kinda ruins the fun, though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
No manual transmission Flex otherwise I would have a baby poo poo brown woody Ecoboost Flex with a pano roof on bags.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Ford is adding a new sport mode to their 6 speed auto's for 2015/2016 that apparently holds your gear if you're deep into the loud pedal. Only problem is the SSW special Flex is $50000 new through ford. It's ridiculous.

Although this might be for the F150's only ( http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/2015-ford-f-150-sport-mode-details-specs/ )

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

neckbeard posted:

Is there a new trend going around with Dodge Ram owners where they plastidip just the big Ram logo on the back of the tailgate some ghastly color that clashes with the rest of the truck?

Truck owners are retards by and large. It's best not to question the things they do to draw even more attention to themselves.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

McTinkerson posted:

Hmm. I've heard the same thing, and I wish I had access to a 5.0 to compare to. All I know is that the ecoboost can smoke my friend's trucks in a race and still get better mileage.

Edit: My wife and I are looking at travel trailers semi-seriously. If we get one we'll need to decide between replacing the Forester with a nice new SUV, or getting a cheap hauler. If we do the cheap hauler, what are good options for under $3k or so? I'd like to just do a truck but we'll be taking the dogs wherever we go, so it would have to be either a crew/quad cab or an SUV.

My preference would be a Chevy but that's entirely brand loyalty and appearance. Were the 90's Fords any better?

DrakeriderCa fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 8, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I am in Ottawa right now and just saw the Northern Lights laser show projected right on the center block. I know this is the Alberta thread, but that was quite possibly the coolest show I have seen and everyone that has the opportunity to see it before it's gone should. I filmed it on my moto g but I am not sure how well it turned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

I am in Ottawa right now and just saw the Northern Lights laser show projected right on the center block. I know this is the Alberta thread, but that was quite possibly the coolest show I have seen and everyone that has the opportunity to see it before it's gone should. I filmed it on my moto g but I am not sure how well it turned out.

Ottawa is the coolest. I love that town.

Update to my trailer question. The wife has provisionally agreed to getting rid of my forester and getting a newer vehicle. Not new, but newer. The trailer we looked at actually seems really nice for the price, so if it tows properly on the road tomorrow we're getting it. We'll be getting a mid sized SUV to pull the trailer and also for running around. The trailer is listed at 4100ish pounds. So I'll need something that can pull that. For non-huge SUV's that limits options somewhat. I've been poking around and found that the Pilot and Highlander both rate up to 4500#, but then I saw that the VW Touareg is rated up to 7700#, which is a nice margin. I can also get a 2008ish VW for the $20-25k mark. How have they held up? My personal preference would be a MDX or Highlander but if the VW isn't garbage it would be awesome to have that extra tow capability.

I'm cross posting this to the chat thread too, to see what the wider opinion is.