Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

This.

Decent amp (one that can overdrive naturally) + delay +wah = being able to play like 75% of all guitar parts.

Throw in a fuzz/distortion and a phaser/vibrato and you're up to 90%.

That explains U2 at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

What if you played the brown note with the brown sound? The dreaded double browning!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

shiksa posted:

trying to get eddie van halen's van halen I tone with super expensive gear is especially funny to me because no one stops and thinks for a second about how eddie was playing on a mish-mash of cheap poo poo and was just very good at playing guitar.

that and he was constantly dicking around with his equipment so it was basically never the same thing from month to month sometimes

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Zonekeeper posted:

Gonna quote somebody from ages ago in this thread:

Tonechasers/bluesdads who spend mountains of cash trying to sound like their idols will never admit to themselves that if you're good you'll sound good even on poo poo equipment.

The "secret" to every good player's sound is having skill. Gear matters, but not nearly as much as they think.

Yeah I saw Reggie Wooten playing a Squier and his tone was amazing.

Tone is in the hands

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Salt Fish posted:

Joe Satrinai playing an 80 dollar guitar I believe the guy's house its at is a goon and he posted about it in ML.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9v5e1TTwts

that is some deeply uninteresting music.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Hollis Brownsound posted:

such is a guitar virtuoso

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

This. Etude in boring rear end riffery

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

shiksa posted:

such is a guitar virtuoso

Nah, it's just that he was probably never very creative.

I hate that there exists this narrative that I hear repeated over and over along the lines of "virtuosity is enemy of creativity". It's loving dumb and only trumpeted by talentless people without practice ethic.

take some Shakti for instance every single one of these guys is a virtuoso and managed to make some very listenable music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUy9SXBQZNM

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
thank you for this sonic representation of "white person wearing a kaftan"

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

I'm Crap posted:

thank you for this sonic representation of "white person wearing a kaftan"

calm down tumblrina, Indian culture will survive this savage appropriation.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

calm down tumblrina, Indian culture will survive this savage appropriation.

it's not "white person appropriating culture" it's more "stereotypical hippie douchebag gear"

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

When tone meets virtuosity and creativity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e82HFsxej4g&t=40s

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Spanish Manlove posted:

it's not "white person appropriating culture" it's more "stereotypical hippie douchebag gear"

it's more that he's making ironic comments based on stuff that sounds vaguely indian. John McGlaughlin pretty much always rocked a t shirt and the rest of the dudes were indian so?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

it's more that he's making ironic comments based on stuff that sounds vaguely indian. John McGlaughlin pretty much always rocked a t shirt and the rest of the dudes were indian so?

then my mistake

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Spanish Manlove posted:

that is what i meant

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

hell, it's button-ups in this- and hell, I like how they button up that melody. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p71QK5TZDCc

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Zonekeeper posted:

Gonna quote somebody from ages ago in this thread:

Tonechasers/bluesdads who spend mountains of cash trying to sound like their idols will never admit to themselves that if you're good you'll sound good even on poo poo equipment.

The "secret" to every good player's sound is having skill. Gear matters, but not nearly as much as they think.

As Joe proves in that video, even the best player in the world can't make a lovely lunchbox amp sound better than it actually is.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Decent amp (one that can overdrive naturally) + delay +wah = being able to play like 75% of all guitar parts.

Throw in a fuzz/distortion and a phaser/vibrato and you're up to 90%.

12" speakers are a must. People that play 10 inch speakers long term must hate the full range of guitar sounds as well as themselves and those around them forced to listen to their pathetic mewling

Introducing a little quality equipment makes all the difference. If your equipment doesn't sound that good or is "ok for practice" then your inspiration is going to be really small.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

4x10 Bassman amps are rad. So are 3x10 Vibro-King amps.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

4x10 Fender Super Reverb is my favorite amp of all time.

Don't need much else.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
yes the most important thing about a speaker is its radius

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Suck it up 10"ailures.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ZombieParts posted:

12" speakers are a must. People that play 10 inch speakers long term must hate the full range of guitar sounds as well as themselves and those around them forced to listen to their pathetic mewling.

same but with 15" speakers

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
I only play on an 8" :flaccid:

I also don't mic and use the on board speaker emulation to record. :hitler:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

A Winner is Jew posted:

I only play on an 8" :flaccid:

I also don't mic and use the on board speaker emulation to record. :hitler:

I'm hoping to move to 8s... QSC K8 :smug:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
a microcube with the stock speaker replaced with an actual guitar speaker is surprisingly nice sounding

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
First person to claim 10" speakers have no bass range wins a no-prize cookie for not understand mixing.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

darkwasthenight posted:

First person to claim 10" speakers have no bass range wins a no-prize cookie for not understand mixing.

Well you see until speakers reach 12", the air cannot be expanded around the cone adequately, so it will fail to push the air hard enough to generate what ruffians and commoners call "bass". This is covered in Alfred vonTonedad's expansive works Volume I & IV on tonal discrepencies in relation to deficient speaker size and qualities.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Bass microcube sounds pretty good for middly punky new-stringy tones, then you plug in a five string and it sounds like a tuba in a dustbin.

I can't remember what brand it was, but I once bought a really cheap new wah off ebay. I plugged it after my distortion, no sound. Before my distortion, no sound. On it's own, fine (but what you'd expect a 25 quid pedal to sound like). I messaged the seller/maker and his reply was "it doesn't work in series, it's not designed to". What the actual gently caress. Sent it back that day.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I haven't been in this thread in a while, has this been posted?

http://imgur.com/pw7NrWu

:barf:

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

NonzeroCircle posted:

Bass microcube sounds pretty good for middly punky new-stringy tones, then you plug in a five string and it sounds like a tuba in a dustbin.

I can't remember what brand it was, but I once bought a really cheap new wah off ebay. I plugged it after my distortion, no sound. Before my distortion, no sound. On it's own, fine (but what you'd expect a 25 quid pedal to sound like). I messaged the seller/maker and his reply was "it doesn't work in series, it's not designed to". What the actual gently caress. Sent it back that day.

That's the thing...

darkwasthenight posted:

You're talking about recording and yeah, the YouTube wannabe superstars can record an HT1 with 1990s epiphone and make it sound perfectly fine but the reality is, it's a lunchbox and sounds like a lunchbox if you are in a room with it and there's nothing that can be done to make it nice in person. I only know of one 10 inch speaker in the guitar world that can cover the same range as even a basic 12". And who cares because none of you here that play 10s would have invested the money to get a nice 10" to begin with. I only know about that speaker because my first cab was a 4x10. Actually there are 2 now because Celestion came out with the G10 gold.

Sockington posted:

I'm hoping to move to 8s... QSC K8 :smug:

I'm sure they're great but why K8 when they have a K12?

NonzeroCircle posted:

Tiny amps and beginner amps in general have come so far it's unbelievable. Babby's first tube amp - the Bugera are an unbelievable dream come true (self bias?? super cool) because of price and ease of use and modification.

What the hell am I doing? gently caress you beer

W424
Oct 21, 2010

darkwasthenight posted:

Guitars bass range is extremely important in a mix. If there is any, eq all that poo poo out.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
But how do I djent if there isnt a terrible 45hz hum every time I palm mute? Next you'll be telling me that all drums on Superior Drummer shouldn't always be 127 velocity and compressed to poo poo!

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
If your guitar sounds like a guitar when its coming out of your amp, you are doing something wrong.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

ZombieParts posted:

You're talking about recording and yeah, the YouTube wannabe superstars can record an HT1 with 1990s epiphone and make it sound perfectly fine but the reality is, it's a lunchbox and sounds like a lunchbox if you are in a room with it and there's nothing that can be done to make it nice in person. I only know of one 10 inch speaker in the guitar world that can cover the same range as even a basic 12". And who cares because none of you here that play 10s would have invested the money to get a nice 10" to begin with. I only know about that speaker because my first cab was a 4x10. Actually there are 2 now because Celestion came out with the G10 gold.

W424 posted:

Guitars bass range is extremely important in a mix. If there is any, eq all that poo poo out.

My favourite part of engineering is watching the guitarist's face as I take their carefully crafted and minutely mic'd tone and immediately nuke everything below about 90hz. "Not going to be needing any of this poo poo..."

I did work with a bassless band the other week and took pity and let him keep some, but eh.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

unlawfulsoup posted:

If your guitar sounds like a guitar when its coming out of your amp, you are doing something wrong.

There's a joke here about coming out that features guitars posted itvt....

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

darkwasthenight posted:

My favourite part of engineering is watching the guitarist's face as I take their carefully crafted and minutely mic'd tone and immediately nuke everything below about 90hz. "Not going to be needing any of this poo poo..."

I did work with a bassless band the other week and took pity and let him keep some, but eh.

guitar players EQ their amps to sound like a finalized recording and then forget that part of recording is multitracking

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

ZombieParts posted:

I'm sure they're great but why K8 when they have a K12?

K12 is 75* dispersion
K10 is 90* dispersion
K8 is 105* dispersion

So for band monitors, it covers a wider range.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEST5pBp078

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
my grandma had a gti like that one

it was a pretty sweet little car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.

This was basically every band I saw in Morocco too. Those delicious riffs...

Yeah, 90s tinny midi is still a huge thing in those sort of places.

• Locked thread