Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Phone posted:

I watched a bunch of people play Cities: Skylines, but Paradox knows what's up. No DRM on their games and they have quite the following. Instead of burning a poo poo load of calories on making sure h4x0rzz, they spend it on making good games.

That said, the copy protection schemes of consoles back in the day are rad as hell and checking SRAM is like a few lines of code.
I remember playing California Games on the Tandy my dad bought. Their DRM was "What's the 34th letter on the 6th line of page 18?" edit: waitaminnit it wasn't California Games, it was LIKE California Games but the gist was that you'd start the game with like $500 and have to buy a car and modify it and drag race it against other computer-controlled racers. It was a DOS game that ran on floppies and ugh, I wish I remembered what this was.

scuz fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankenstein
Jul 29, 2005

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Misc small engine repair and over priced parts incoming.

Just bought this! Runs decent, but carb could use some cleaning, but it has a Kohler K341, so it will be running for ever.

Awesome! I have a 214(K321) that I use year round. I recently rebuilt the carburetor with a rebuild kit and a throttle shaft kit. The bore for the throttle shaft was terrible egg-shaped and the throttle shaft kit includes a bushing you press into the top of the carb. I highly recommend both. I have the FSM for the 200 series, let me know if you have any questions.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

scuz posted:

I remember playing California Games on the Tandy my dad bought. Their DRM was "What's the 34th letter on the 6th line of page 18?" edit: waitaminnit it wasn't California Games, it was LIKE California Games but the gist was that you'd start the game with like $500 and have to buy a car and modify it and drag race it against other computer-controlled racers. It was a DOS game that ran on floppies and ugh, I wish I remembered what this was.

Street Rod?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
YES! Ahh, poo poo, I remember this. Thanks, dude.

edit: http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/street-rod/screenshots/gameShotId,518400/ <--that's the copy protection. Love it.

scuz fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 3, 2015

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Phone posted:

That said, the copy protection schemes of consoles back in the day are rad as hell and checking SRAM is like a few lines of code.

If you're interested in that kind of thing, here's bunnie's blog on hacking the original xbox

I had one from geohot about the PS3 as well, but I can't find it right now. I'll link it if I find it again.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

MustardFacial posted:

If you're interested in that kind of thing, here's bunnie's blog on hacking the original xbox

I had one from geohot about the PS3 as well, but I can't find it right now. I'll link it if I find it again.

I'm talking more like the piracy check in Earthbound that would greatly increase the number of enemies on the screen and would softlock and erase your save at the end boss.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

scuz posted:

edit: http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/street-rod/screenshots/gameShotId,518400/ <--that's the copy protection. Love it.

Yeah. I loving loved that game. Played it on an IBM PS/2.

Looks like you can still play it if you are comfy with dosbox.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

scuz posted:

Gotta love the use of a color-based question to thwart photocopied game manual piracy :v:

I played Street Rod II, I could get to the King fairly reliably but could never beat him. I think I managed to get through to the Mulholland race against him once, and got pulled over.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Magnus Praeda posted:

Yeah. I loving loved that game. Played it on an IBM PS/2.

Looks like you can still play it if you are comfy with dosbox.

Even easier: https://archive.org/details/msdos_Street_Rod_1989

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MustardFacial posted:

:siren: MustardFacial gets in a huff about the games industry.....again. :siren:

The reason why you shouldn't pre-order games is because the publishers want you on the hook before the embargo's drop and you find out the game is a big piece of poo poo. They want their $60 from you based solely on the marketing and hype train they've managed to generate. Ever wonder why video game advertising seems so much more sensationalist than anything else? That's why. These companies want you on the hook before anyone has had a chance to warn you off it.

Want to know why there aren't demos anymore? This is why. The onus is no longer on the game maker to convince you they're making a good game, when you are so willing to plop down $60 months before it's out.

Do you want games to be stable on release? Do you want new IP? Do you want the content of the game to justify the money you spent? Do you want GOOD games again? Then stop pre-ordering. Publishers have exactly ZERO reason to ensure any of these things happen if you keep pre-ordering games. The same game you pre-ordered will still be there on release day, yeah you probably wouldn't have gotten the hot wheels but the fact that they're willing to include something like that (and charge you extra for it) shows how badly they want your money upfront, right now.

Oh, OK, yeah - I generally don't preorder stuff months in advance or whatever. This one already had good reviews, and the developer had made several games that I enjoyed already. Hell, half the time I buy used, but this one looked good enough, and I want the Mad Max franchise to benefit, basically.

T1g4h posted:

I just got the Shovel Face, Furnace, and :siren:SUPER SPECIAL PRE-ORDER BONUS RIPPER:siren: available on my save. The Shovel Face actually looks pretty fuckin' rad after a few upgrades, not gonna lie.

I got the Ripper, but not far enough along yet to start swapping stuff. Only just got to Jeet's fortress last night. Did get an enemy car stored there, though. NOW I MUST COLLECT THEM ALL!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Just got off the phone with interview #2 at a place that called me out of the blue for the same thing I do now. The starting pay is a window of +10-25k more than what I make now. Bills are getting paid just fine but I'm not rolling in money or anything so the extra bump would definitely be appreciated. Negatives? Losing out on 5k cash due to an acquisition I wouldn't be around for in 6 months, adds 5 miles to my commute and leaving a place I've worked at for 13 years is straight up loving terrifying.

Of course this is all moot if I don't proceed to interview #3 but my anxiety is through the roof. Just gonna drink until Murphy's Law kicks in. I fear change at a fundamental level.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Have you talked with your current employer about it? It sounds like they're under paying you quite a bit. Maybe you can work out a raise and stay at your current location.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Fitted an ariel in the attic last night, hardly str-level stuff but I got good reception on my first try so :feelsgood:

Had to short the multiple cables in the attic one by one to find the one for the living room though, short one, run round the house with a multimeter, label the shorted one and move on. Someone in the future who wants more than one tv in the house is going to thank me :v:

Down to three boxes to unpack in the living room, garage is about half full but not stacked high, all bedrooms are pretty sorted. I need to get some 2x4s and 2x2s and 18mm chipboard and build some 2'x8' garage shelving, should cost me less than a hundred quid for 16' of floor to ceiling shelves that will readily take 300kg per shelf.

Treated myself to a ryobi jigsaw, might add an impact to that to help with the woodwork later.

We were discussing where to put the last bookshelf (Ikea but sturdy enough) and my lad asked if it could go in his room "so it doesn't get in your way and me and sister can get books without waking you up" :3: Okay son, sold.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Darchangel posted:

Oh, OK, yeah - I generally don't preorder stuff months in advance or whatever. This one already had good reviews, and the developer had made several games that I enjoyed already. Hell, half the time I buy used, but this one looked good enough, and I want the Mad Max franchise to benefit, basically.

I got the Ripper, but not far enough along yet to start swapping stuff. Only just got to Jeet's fortress last night. Did get an enemy car stored there, though. NOW I MUST COLLECT THEM ALL!

Bolded: destiny.txt

Bungie had such an amazing track record, it had amazing reviews.... and then they dropped a Cleveland Steamer right on everyone's collective chest. What a loving letdown.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

kastein posted:

Hey, strict immigration policies and careful selection of who is allowed ashore is super important.

Just ask the native americans. :boom:

You joke, but when I lived in Italy, the more-or-less racist Lega Nord regionalist party had a campaign poster with a portrait of a American Indian in a headdress and the slogan "He suffered the immigration, now he lives on a reservation."

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Cakefool posted:

Fitted an ariel in the attic last night, hardly str-level stuff but I got good reception on my first try so :feelsgood:

Spent 10s wondering what for and how you'd get an Ariel Atom into your attic.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Darchangel posted:

Just wait until you start getting lots and lots of upgrade parts unlocked. My Opus is a goddamn tank now:

Twin turbo, spikes all over, and fuckoff huge bash bars :allears:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

kimbo305 posted:

Spent 10s wondering what for and how you'd get an Ariel Atom into your attic.

What for? To hide it from my wife. How? Ramped it.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I just ate some fully dressed chips. Super weird.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Super Aggro Crag posted:

What the gently caress are fully dressed chips? Do they have little tuxedos on them?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Which brand, though? Humpty Dumpty is really dusty but probably the best flavor. Lay's is bleh.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

It was Humpty. Fully dressed chips is like every flavor of chips combined. It was mostly an initial salt n vinegar taste followed by BBQ. Weird poo poo.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Sigma X posted:

What the gently caress are fully dressed chips? Do they have little tuxedos on them?

In Canada, we have special chip flavours such as all-dressed and ketchup.

Mr. Crag has presumably accidentally wandered across the border or into one of our sleeper cells.

http://whatsdifferentincanada.tumblr.com/post/103153965644/all-dressed-chips

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Super Aggro Crag posted:

It was Humpty. Fully dressed chips is like every flavor of chips combined. It was mostly an initial salt n vinegar taste followed by BBQ. Weird poo poo.

this sounds horrifying

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

They have good penetration into northern New England. I have my from-Maine coworker bring Humpty down every time she visits home.
Sampling a global food corp's local offerings is one of my guilty pleasures in traveling. South African Lay's flavors were a disappointment.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Frankenstein posted:

Awesome! I have a 214(K321) that I use year round. I recently rebuilt the carburetor with a rebuild kit and a throttle shaft kit. The bore for the throttle shaft was terrible egg-shaped and the throttle shaft kit includes a bushing you press into the top of the carb. I highly recommend both. I have the FSM for the 200 series, let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for the tips. I paid 1000 for every thing. Blade was a front mount but he converted it to a rear mount (still have the front mount if I ever want to change it back). The blower is good, and the deck is good.

I hear these older Kohler's are like 90s Toyotas. Impossible to kill and run for ages.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
My tractor has a K321 in it too... my carb is all kinds of gunked up and corroded inside though so I ended up buying a new one. Will probably slap it on sometime next week.

Then I have to basically rewire the whole thing because it's had a number of baling-wire-and-stick-welder previous owners and none of the electrical stuff is done properly or working at all.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

corn in the fridge posted:

this sounds horrifying

It smells like dogshit but is actually really good.

Other strange Canadian things: this has happened to me more than once, and returned the favour (Tim Horton's is garbage coffee)

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 3, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

kastein posted:

My tractor has a K321 in it too... my carb is all kinds of gunked up and corroded inside though so I ended up buying a new one. Will probably slap it on sometime next week.

Then I have to basically rewire the whole thing because it's had a number of baling-wire-and-stick-welder previous owners and none of the electrical stuff is done properly or working at all.

loving hell. I'm lucky mines been well maintained for the most part. Needs a little minor bullshit here and there but nothing major. He already did the Bendix on the starter and new motor mounts.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I wish we got Smarties in the U.S. The chocolate candy ones, I mean.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

CharlesM posted:

I wish we got Smarties in the U.S. The chocolate candy ones, I mean.

Look at this guy farting directly into he own mouth

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

If you chew an entire roll of Smarties at once it tastes exactly like Red Bull.

My girl gets 9 hours of paid time off every 80 hours she works. What the gently caress!?

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Super Aggro Crag posted:

If you chew an entire roll of Smarties at once it tastes exactly like Red Bull.

My girl gets 9 hours of paid time off every 80 hours she works. What the gently caress!?

Don't you get a month off for every couple you work? :v:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Haven't been laid off in 2 years now, thank you. Altho I could use a couple weeks of rest.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Sigma X posted:

It's me; I am fully dressed chips.

At least for now :mmmhmm:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Noise Complaint posted:

Don't you get a month off for every couple you work? :v:

30 days paid a year baby.

Granted I'm also usually gone for 9 months a year :v: two more loving years and I'll be in a nice civilian job, hating life for the same reasons the rest of you do.

Unless I let people talk me into staying in. I've been in the navy for 7 years, made E6 at 5 years, so I could technically ride out the next thirteen and retire at age 41 and get a paycheck for life. But gently caress me this poo poo is dumb as gently caress and I'm tired of the politics of it.

Oh you want a good eval? Better spend all of your off time and $100+ a month on volunteer poo poo! Plus god loving drat am I tired of running.

Edit: also the GTI I bought has techtonics tuning 268 cams in it. My machinist buddy also broke an ez out off in one of the stripped head bolts, sooooo who loving knows what now.

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 3, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
And that's why you should have just welded poo poo on instead of dinking around with ez-snaps.

Fortunately I don't think it'll significantly impact your ability to weld poo poo on overtop of it, then spin it out anyways.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

Unless I let people talk me into staying in. I've been in the navy for 7 years, made E6 at 5 years, so I could technically ride out the next thirteen and retire at age 41 and get a paycheck for life. But gently caress me this poo poo is dumb as gently caress and I'm tired of the politics of it.

Oh you want a good eval? Better spend all of your off time and $100+ a month on volunteer poo poo! Plus god loving drat am I tired of running.

Haha. I was slightly tempted by the "16 more years and you can retire and get that sweet pay!"

Glad I said gently caress that, I couldn't imagine still being in the military, I still have nightmares about it.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

iwentdoodie posted:

30 days paid a year baby.

Granted I'm also usually gone for 9 months a year :v: two more loving years and I'll be in a nice civilian job, hating life for the same reasons the rest of you do.

Edit: also the GTI I bought has techtonics tuning 268 cams in it. My machinist buddy also broke an ez out off in one of the stripped head bolts, sooooo who loving knows what now.

My father-in-law always tells stories like this. "I was just going to stay in the Army for a few more years!" 30 some odd years later, retires as a Colonel, and months later goes to work for the DoD. :v:

Guess he couldn't stay away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Edit ^^^he's not lying. It's HARD to get out. Even when you loving hate it, it's comfortable. You know what it is. I don't know a single person (that isn't recognizably batshit within five minutes) who is retired or near retirement who doesn't say the same poo poo.

leica posted:

Haha. I was slightly tempted by the "16 more years and you can retire and get that sweet pay!"

Glad I said gently caress that, I couldn't imagine still being in the military, I still have nightmares about it.

I have nightmares about it and I'm still in. Honestly the first time I've been happy in the past 5 years (my first two were loving awesome, honestly) is now they I have a project car again. It pisses me off non stop, but it doesn't give me crippling anxiety or make me wish I was loving dead like going to work every day does.

And Ken, I know. But he offered and I was bored so I agreed. But now I get to drive it in to work on Monday and try to weld it. But the biggest fun will be getting it in the back of the car by myself.

• Locked thread