Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Pitch-shifted mr robot from finale https://sfx.io/yKTCn pretty clearly elliot/rami/slaterbot/realtyrell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

In the Times Square scene, Eliot's mom appeared to be pregnant. I'm not sure if that means anything, but it was definitely apparent.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

empty baggie posted:

In the Times Square scene, Eliot's mom appeared to be pregnant. I'm not sure if that means anything, but it was definitely apparent.

Well, Darlene wasn't there and Rami Malek is about 10 years older than Carly Chaikin so if the actor's ages are supposed to be around the character's age it makes sense.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

Well, Darlene wasn't there and Rami Malek is about 10 years older than Carly Chaikin so if the actor's ages are supposed to be around the character's age it makes sense.

Explains why they wouldn't've been that close before, like was mentioned a couple episodes back

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

TyrantWD posted:

Agreed.

There is a lot more going with the CEO. He is completely secure in his position despite overseeing the biggest financial catastrophe in history. He knows about Eliot, is a member of that Illuminati group and is acquainted with White Rose. Even if/when E Corp recovers, it's going to be a shell of its former self, which will likely have a severe financial cost to the CEO, but he is not terribly concerned with the situation. The hack seems to have benefited him - most likely in covering up some other nefarious activity - probably the work of his Illuminati friends. The people at that gathering would have likely lost billions in the fallout from this hack, and no one gave him so much as a dirty look.

He's completely secure in his position because as he said, he's still the head of the world's largest and most powerful company. Sure they've lost access to all their data for now and billions of dollars on the stock exchange but massive multi conglomerates like E Corp don't just die overnight. He still has more resources available than most countries and given the size of E Corp, will probably eventually get bailed out by taxpayers once things have calmed down.

The people at the gathering might have lost a shitload of money but it's not exactly the end of the world for them given how much more they own.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

He's also obviously upset in the after-credit scene, so he could have just been putting up a front while around his employees.

Edit: although not that upset, but definitely shaken up.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 4, 2015

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.
Krista is at the door. She's gone full Harley Quinn.

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.
That after credit scene was a great hook for S2. Loving this show so hard.

Waynebo posted:

Krista is at the door. She's gone full Harley Quinn.

This would be kinda awesome.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug
Iggy Pop is at the door. He's been in the show all along but for some reason Elliot has been perceiving him as a Cairn Terrier all this time.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Please close this thread until one week before season 2.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
When Elliot went back to the car to look for evidence and checks the back, it felt like the camera lingered and I was convinced for a moment that Bateman's dead body was stuffed in the under seat storage. Would've been super hosed up of Elliot/Mr. Robot after Shayla, but a body would've started stinking by then and Elliot would've noticed.

I still feel like there's something important back there, though :tinfoil:

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Adel posted:

When Elliot went back to the car to look for evidence and checks the back, it felt like the camera lingered and I was convinced for a moment that Bateman's dead body was stuffed in the under seat storage. Would've been super hosed up of Elliot/Mr. Robot after Shayla, but a body would've started stinking by then and Elliot would've noticed.

I still feel like there's something important back there, though :tinfoil:

Agreed. When I researched the jail episode, I realized how frequently the camera paused on the trunk of the car, and I was looking for that kind of lingering in this episode, though it never came, in my mind...

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back
While I have read quite a bit on the fonts involved in various forms on the show, I'm wondering if anybody has any idea of what font is used for the actors names during opening credits. I'm really bad at identifying fonts' maybe somebody else can ID this font:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You may find WhatTheFont useful in the future. https://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

That site says it's probably Franklin Std Compressed. The K looks distinctively the same.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Looked at that too but the M makes me think Alternate Gothic Pro

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You may find WhatTheFont useful in the future. https://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

That site says it's probably Franklin Std Compressed. The K looks distinctively the same.

Thanks for the site. That will make my quests slightly less painful. :)

crazysim posted:

Looked at that too but the M makes me think Alternate Gothic Pro

I'm not a pro, but it looks like 'Alternate Gothic Pro EF No One' to me.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Kegslayer posted:

He's completely secure in his position because as he said, he's still the head of the world's largest and most powerful company. Sure they've lost access to all their data for now and billions of dollars on the stock exchange but massive multi conglomerates like E Corp don't just die overnight. He still has more resources available than most countries and given the size of E Corp, will probably eventually get bailed out by taxpayers once things have calmed down.

The people at the gathering might have lost a shitload of money but it's not exactly the end of the world for them given how much more they own.

I thought it was either this, or that these people are so used to having near-infinite power and resources that they don't realise how hosed they really are if society truly is on the brink of massive change/collapse, hence the "playing the lyre while Rome burns" bit. That whole scene reminded me of something I read in an article about a NASA-funded study on the possibility of the collapse of industrial civilisation:

quote:

Another scenario focuses on the role of continued resource exploitation, finding that "with a larger depletion rate, the decline of the Commoners occurs faster, while the Elites are still thriving, but eventually the Commoners collapse completely, followed by the Elites."

In both scenarios, Elite wealth monopolies mean that they are buffered from the most "detrimental effects of the environmental collapse until much later than the Commoners", allowing them to "continue 'business as usual' despite the impending catastrophe." The same mechanism, they argue, could explain how "historical collapses were allowed to occur by elites who appear to be oblivious to the catastrophic trajectory (most clearly apparent in the Roman and Mayan cases)."

I hope that this is one of the themes the show is angling towards. It depends whether the writers are going for a V for Vendetta-type "what if OWS was successful?" revolution fantasy, or whether it's going more in a Wolf of Wall Street or The Wire direction, in that these institutions are so big they're self-perpetuating and the elites that control them have so much wealth they never suffer any real consequences no matter what happens. Or even a totally bonkers other direction I haven't even thought of. Either way I can't wait to find out where this is going.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
What was the point of the Psychiatrist plot in this episode?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Harminoff posted:

So guesses at who was at Elliot's door?

Dominos. He was hungry.

Mad Revolt
Jul 10, 2008

Who in Fact "he" Is

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I think a lot of this episode was setting up Elliot's adversaries for S2- dog owner and the police, E Corp & their CEO, Tyrell's wife, Mr Robot, and possibly White Rose.

At least on the first watch I felt like White Rose was working against fsociety. Now though, I'm curious because she went to the mansion presenting as a man, and that might suggest that White Rose is hiding aspects of her personality from the Illuminati type guys. Come to think of it were there any powerful women in that scene or were they all serving drinks?

I don't know, I doubt White Rose's motivations are as simple as not being accepted gender wise, this show doesn't handle anything simply.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Cactus posted:

I thought it was either this, or that these people are so used to having near-infinite power and resources that they don't realise how hosed they really are if society truly is on the brink of massive change/collapse, hence the "playing the lyre while Rome burns" bit.

Nero wasn't hosed by the Great Fire of Rome, though. He got everything he wanted at the time with it (he had wanted to build a gigantic series of palaces but the Senate opposed him; with the vast majority of Rome gone he was free to build the Domus Aurea). He was only deposed due to an unrelated series of rebellions.

Also, given that the creator continually touches on the revolution in Egypt I'm assuming that the system is going to eventually reassert itself, at least for a while.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Mad Revolt posted:

At least on the first watch I felt like White Rose was working against fsociety. Now though, I'm curious because she went to the mansion presenting as a man, and that might suggest that White Rose is hiding aspects of her personality from the Illuminati type guys. Come to think of it were there any powerful women in that scene or were they all serving drinks?

I don't know, I doubt White Rose's motivations are as simple as not being accepted gender wise, this show doesn't handle anything simply.

This show is definitely very gender conscious and I can't get a bead on whether it thinks that high corporate is egalitarian or sexist. On the one hand no one seems to bat an eye at Angela being a conspicuously feminine woman in a room dominated by men, on the other we have a woman being literally murdered at a dinner party, and Terry Colby telling Angela to gargle his balls. The CEO of Evil corp was very open and respectful to Angela, but like you said, there were no women present at the illuminati party other than notably attractive waitstaff.

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008
Sam Esmail is interviewed on the Andy Greenwald podcast.

It has spoilers for the entire season, sorry posting from my phone other wise I'd post a link.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Don't forget that Gideon interacted with Tyrell, and even visited his office.

Elliot is not Tyrell.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Kegslayer posted:

The other thing is that if everyone has lost their money in the market, they are still rich- debt was erased but people who had money and no debt still have money and no debt. They do lose any money they had loaned out to people, which kind of sucks, but power and status in those institutions extends to resources beyond money.

The 1% is not powerful because they are in the top 1%, they are powerful because of how much influence they control.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

To set up the eventual Al Capone ending since this will likely follow suit with Breaking Bad and have the greek tragedy structure where everyone is destined to lose everything because of an original sin.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

TheAngryDrunk posted:

The show's a great big pastiche; everything is something else. Tyrell's the guy from American Psycho, Mr. Robot is Tyler Durden, and I think the dog will be Elliot's tax evasion and the psychiatrist will be like if Capone had an accountant telling him to watch his poo poo.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
After sleeping on it, I definitely feel like it was a good episode but poor season finale. Mainly because I realized, I'm probably gonna remember just about jack poo poo from this episode when next season starts. It was very entertaining viewing but I come out feeling like nothing happened, focusing mostly on Elliot's state of mind and Angela's travails in Evil Corp, which is important character-building and contextualization for future developments for sure but really not so great at sticking in your head for months and months rather than a week until next episode.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I think in the overall context of the series this finale will fit better as a set-up to season two than as a wrap-up to season one. I get the impression that Sam Esmail had the big picture in mind with this episode and didn't want to throw in a bunch of shocking plot twists just for the sake of it. Personally, I'm going to rewatch this season again before season two starts up not just as a refresher, but also to look for all the clues to Elliot's condition and his relationship to Darlene.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn

Talorat posted:

This show is definitely very gender conscious and I can't get a bead on whether it thinks that high corporate is egalitarian or sexist. On the one hand no one seems to bat an eye at Angela being a conspicuously feminine woman in a room dominated by men, on the other we have a woman being literally murdered at a dinner party, and Terry Colby telling Angela to gargle his balls. The CEO of Evil corp was very open and respectful to Angela, but like you said, there were no women present at the illuminati party other than notably attractive waitstaff.

I thought the power dynamic between Angela and the CEO was a lot weirder than "open and respectful," especially immediately after the suicide. The way he subtly required-but-not-required her to go to the press conference was a little disconcerting, and literally throwing her a wad of cash to make sure her appearance stayed up to standards seemed super patronizing.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Yeah, I didn't interpret any of his actions as being respectful. I felt he was very much manipulating her and basically guilting her into complying. I mean, you don't become CEO of the world's most powerful conglomerate without learning how to manipulate people.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Was walking down 6th ave today and did a double take. Knew that parking lot in the episode looked familiar! W 17th and 6th ave:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I dunno, something about his big pitch for her to help him, he said something about "he uses proxies out of Estonia and short of that country [failing] we'll never get what we need" then it showed Estonia as part of the governments in crisis thing. So maybe he'll get information from some company in estonia.

I didn't think that's how proxies work though. Aren't they basically a mask for your IP where instead of it being hey he's in 123 fake street, new york it reads as 321 real street, estonia with no actual way to trace them?

Maybe he'll find that Elliott's use of a server overseas can be linked between him and what fsocieties done and his life being ruined gives him motivation to seek that out and expose it? I don't know poo poo about how that stuff works though.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

An Internet proxy works the same way as an auction proxy or the like. It's an agent that acts on your behalf. You connect to it and your computer tells it want it wants and it goes and gets it and hands it to you so you never directly interact with your destination. However a proxy run by a third party could trivially track your activities. Most companies have proxies for this reason, along with the fact that proxies can cache frequently requested sites so it saves bandwidth costs. And they can block requests to inappropriate or dangerous hosts. All kinds of reasons.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dog man is hoping there will be logs on the machines he proxied through, showing Elliot's home IP and the machines he then accessed. Anyone doing this for real would be jumping through a bunch of places though which would make tracking him an absolute nightmare.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

EL BROMANCE posted:

Dog man is hoping there will be logs on the machines he proxied through, showing Elliot's home IP and the machines he then accessed. Anyone doing this for real would be jumping through a bunch of places though which would make tracking him an absolute nightmare.

I believe Uplink: Hacker Elite is an accurate representation of that process. Also that game taught me that hackers should always delete their logs.

I didn't know they should free dogs until this show though

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I believe Uplink: Hacker Elite is an accurate representation of that process. Also that game taught me that hackers should always delete their logs.

I didn't know they should free dogs until this show though

I was thinking the same thing about Uplink!

Anyway, the way that CEO put down his money reminded me for some reason of a John paying for a hooker. There was just something gross and demeaning about the whole thing I can't quite put my finger on.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

By the end of next season, everyone needs to be fsociety.

Angela, the inside woman with a lot of tension on getting discovered by the illuminati president. Tyrell, clearly, the madman on a leash for when poo poo gets rough. Put Tyrell's wife on the controlling end of that leash, watch poo poo happen. Have Darlene make sure they're in line and on-mission.

Whiterose as a shadowy ally in the conspiracy against the illuminati. Therapist somehow Will Grahams people for the cause? Her husband gets over his dog -- or they give it back -- and, uh, I guess he can seduce women for information? The dog has an itty bitty camera on its collar and they use it for intel.

Except Angela's boyfriend, he doesn't seem useful for ANYTHING except causing the downfall. Seriously, as soon as you get wind he knows something, throw him under a subway car.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Even if he did find something there wouldn't be any evidence because elliott drilled, microwaved and turfed all his poo poo at least twice (probably thrice with the fcsociety hack going through) since he hacked dog man though right?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

BlindSite posted:

Even if he did find something there wouldn't be any evidence because elliott drilled, microwaved and turfed all his poo poo at least twice (probably thrice with the fcsociety hack going through) since he hacked dog man though right?

He burned the parts on his computer, but he still has a folder full of data CD's hidden cleverly under his dresser. I'm betting a case could be made fairly well once someone dug through those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

seaborgium posted:

He burned the parts on his computer, but he still has a folder full of data CD's hidden cleverly under his dresser. I'm betting a case could be made fairly well once someone dug through those.

Forgot about that. Good point.

• Locked thread