Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

:siren:Update Time!:siren:

Episode 18 - Blue Argyle Snagret

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm sorry, I can't do this - run away from the snagret :psyduck:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Is Olimar supposed to be human sized? Because that makes the Snegrets all the more terrifying.

EDIT: Thanks.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 1, 2015

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Is Olimar supposed to be human sized? Because that makes the Snegrets all the more terrifying.

No, he's only like an inch or 2 tall. Which is why the Amiibo is larger than his actual size.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

FeyerbrandX posted:

No, he's only like an inch or 2 tall. Which is why the Amiibo is larger than his actual size.

Yeah, if you were a human on PNF-404 you'd probably be glad a few Burrowing Snagrets were moving into your garden to take care of those Pikmin pests destroying all your nice Pellet Posies. :argh:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I'm gonna say you did okay today. No major panics. Just a little slow on some of the kills, could have gotten all of the pellets if you'd not needed to grab more pikmin.

A good day, three bosses left and 10+ days to do them in.

Edit: Fae, when you've finished, you should find a six-day or nine-day run to watch. They're fascinating, though the six-days can be very hard to follow.

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012

dijon du jour posted:

Yeah, if you were a human on PNF-404 you'd probably be glad a few Burrowing Snagrets were moving into your garden to take care of those Pikmin pests destroying all your nice Pellet Posies. :argh:

Meh, better to deal with both snagrets AND pikmin attacking you than to deal with some of the other horrors the world has. SUCH a horrifying place once you learn all the little bits across the games.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Episode 19 - Delicious Cake Turret

EDIT: I just realised that it is not Friday and therefore not update time, maybe I shouldn't update my LP when I'm sick and have spent the past two days sleeping and have lost all track of time :downs: but that's okay, an early update for you all!

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Sep 3, 2015

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Faerie Fortune posted:

Episode 19 - Delicious Cake Turret

EDIT: I just realised that it is not Friday and therefore not update time, maybe I shouldn't update my LP when I'm sick and have spent the past two days sleeping and have lost all track of time :downs: but that's okay, an early update for you all!

A Good Daytm

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I have exited my Metal Gear-induced Fugue state in order to do two things: one, update The Wall, and two, to ponder about the nature of Pikmin.

Fae does not value the life of each individual Pikmin, rushing enemies to their deaths, killing off many of the Pikmin, who obey her every whim. Is this because Olimar looks like a big Pikmin, or is it because they have been raised since they were planted to obey her whistle?

In short, are Pikmin a weapon to surpass Metal Gear?

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
You know, that Snitchbug would waste so much less of your time if you just KILLED IT.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

legoman727 posted:

You know, that Snitchbug would waste so much less of your time if you just KILLED IT.

Have you seen her aim? It would take a whole video to get them.

That said,taking a full day for a snitchbug/other flying things hunt could be a fun bonus video if it was run at double speed.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
One thing you may have noticed in that last day is that both yellow wollywogs and all varieties of sheargrub (nibblebug) benefit from a certain small bug in Pikmin 1's engine. Namely, for no particular reason, they become invincible in the middle of their attack animations, which is exactly when you most want to kill them.

Most enemies, like Bulborbs or Bulbears will scoop up a mouthful of pikmans, but those don't actually die until they're done gnawing on them and gulp - if you finish them off before then, you get your carrotmans back... in, er, roughly the condition you left them, anyway. However, once bugs latch on to a pikmin or frogs get airborne, they become immune to damage, and no amount of pikmin clinging and pummeling will save your poor soldiers in their jaws / beneath their bellies.

You can't actually do anything about it, but now that you know you can be frustrated just like i was! :argh:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
As annoying as that bug is, it is sort of a bonus against the flying sheargrubs, because the damage doesn't seem to be negated, just delayed. So if all your pikmin are beating the crap out of a sheargrub eating one of your pikmin, it will instantly die as soon as it's done eating, which means it won't fly off to regenerate health.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

FoolyCharged posted:

Have you seen her aim? It would take a whole video to get them.

That said,taking a full day for a snitchbug/other flying things hunt could be a fun bonus video if it was run at double speed.

Heck, look how much trouble she had with that one blowhog last video.

Fae is not able to take down skyborne foes.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Veloxyll posted:

Heck, look how much trouble she had with that one blowhog last video.

Fae is not able to take down skyborne foes.

It's already really hard to aim with the imprecise GameCube controls. Throw in fast-moving flying enemies and I just usually try to avoid them. It's way easier with Wiimote controls when you can just point and shoot and don't have to try to judge arc.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
My preferred method of dealing with the Snitchbugs is to just let them start swooping, then throw at where their path will take them. The bugs move in a straight line while they're grabbing Pikmin, so it's easy to lead them that way.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
A strategy that is not to be under-estimated is just c-sticking Pikmin around Olimar and mashing A to spray Pikmin at a problem. It's a little difficult to coordinate, though, and I suspect it's even harder with an X-Box controller, especially since you want to be waving the reticule around for maximum coverage.

mozman
Nov 3, 2010
I've never played any of the Pikmin games, so I'm loving this.

And I just remembered that my friend had a Pikmin cake for her combined 30th and daughter's 1st birthday:

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
I don't know if content that no longer exists or got removed from the final cut of the game counts as spoilers, but in old trailers for Pikmin, I distinctly recall Snagrets being able to pop out completely from the ground. As in, feet and all. Terrifying.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Out of the blue comes an announcement no one was expecting: Pikmin 4 is almost done.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Unknown Quantity posted:

I don't know if content that no longer exists or got removed from the final cut of the game counts as spoilers, but in old trailers for Pikmin, I distinctly recall Snagrets being able to pop out completely from the ground. As in, feet and all. Terrifying.

This is spoilers, but not for the reason you think it is. Fae, don't read the spoiler tags on this post or the one I'm quoting.

Snagrets that come out of the ground did not make the final cut of pikmin 1, but come back in later games.

ChaosArgate posted:

Out of the blue comes an announcement no one was expecting: Pikmin 4 is almost done.

This is the best news! I am so excited! I love Pikmins you guys.

Fingers crossed for a surprise holiday release out of nowhere.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
There is some stuff in the older Pikmin trailers that you can tell got changed in the final product. I remember seeing one where the player is just walking out in the open and beady long legs falls out of absolutely nowhere. No boss arena, just a random gently caress you spider from the sky.

ChaosArgate posted:

My little brother told me this and I thought he was loving with me until I looked it up myself. I'm not surprised that they're making it but the game being close to completion is bizarre when we've heard absolutely nothing about it.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Oh man, does this mean that if the times line up right we could see Fae take on Pikmin 4 too? I mean, the title is "Every Pikmin Game" :v:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

:siren:Update Time:siren:

Episode 20 - Why Did You Do That?

In this and the next video, we're joined by Fizzicist who insisted she come along and get mad about murdering Pikmin in real time!

Captain Bravo posted:

Oh man, does this mean that if the times line up right we could see Fae take on Pikmin 4 too? I mean, the title is "Every Pikmin Game" :v:

That's the plan, yeah! If its on the WiiU then I should be able to do it, since I have to get one for Pikmin 3 anyway!

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Sep 8, 2015

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I didn't know that about bomb rocks and snitchbugs either. That's... horrifying.

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

In the last few videos I can hear Gnome fine, but Fae is hard to hear at times, and Fizz I could barely hear at all. Can you guys adjust audio levels?

I'm disappointed that I never looked into these games before despite being a major GCN title. It's adorable, and Fae's crocheted versions are adorable. :3:

...Am I a terrible person if I enjoy the sound of dying Pikmin? :ohdear:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

The audio has been a thorn in my side for ages, as far as I'm aware I'm doing everything right but it just continues to be super duper quiet. One day I'll figure out what's wrong and fix it but for right now I legitimately have no idea what I'm doing incorrectly

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Can I nominate a name for that blue pikmin? Pvt. David "Goliath" Davis.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012

FeyerbrandX posted:

I had him down as Pvt. Leeroy, but I like yours better.

Doopliss fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 8, 2015

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

FeyerbrandX posted:

I'm so glad those Pikmin get X-COM thread levels of decorum.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Aithon posted:

I'm so glad those Pikmin get X-COM thread levels of decorum.

I would love to see someone montage all of the mass Pikmin deaths, in black and white and to sad music.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
So, this site popped up on Facebook today and I did some browsing. You're welcome, Fae

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
Watching how Fae's skills have developed from the start until now, it reminded me of this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lxu8nbARYQ.

Also, I really wish I had even an inkling of artistic skill, because for a while now I've had an idea for a picture: A bunch of Pikmin fighting/being eaten by a giant bulborb while Olimar looks on frightened out of his wits, with a single Pikmin standing behind him holding a sign that has "RUDE!!!" scrawled on it. But, alas, all I can do is watch and cheer you two on. Keep going, you can 100% it! We believe in you!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

FeralWraith posted:

Watching how Fae's skills have developed from the start until now, it reminded me of this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lxu8nbARYQ.

Also, I really wish I had even an inkling of artistic skill, because for a while now I've had an idea for a picture: A bunch of Pikmin fighting/being eaten by a giant bulborb while Olimar looks on frightened out of his wits, with a single Pikmin standing behind him holding a sign that has "RUDE!!!" scrawled on it. But, alas, all I can do is watch and cheer you two on. Keep going, you can 100% it! We believe in you!

I decided to make your request in psuedo-comic format. Art skill is just handy, not essential!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

FeyerbrandX posted:

I think it was on purpose. Arnold Benedictmin.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Bruceski posted:

I think it was on purpose. Arnold Benedictmin.

Hey now, he was just following orders. Poor guy.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

So, this site popped up on Facebook today and I did some browsing. You're welcome, Fae

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :swoon:

Also for those of you who just can't get enough of my commentary, my good buddy CJacobs just posted the Dark Souls playthrough we did together where we talk about lore, the story of the game and dragon dicks.

I wish I were kidding on that last part.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Episode 21 - Excuse Me?

Seriously could someone explain what happened with that bridge because that was extremely rude :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Faerie Fortune posted:

Episode 21 - Excuse Me?

Seriously could someone explain what happened with that bridge because that was extremely rude :colbert:

Yellow Pikmin, while they can be thrown higher due to their adorable ears providing more lift, are still susceptible to gravity. Unfortunately, Pikmin are also very short and cannot swim, so they begin drowning as soon as they touch water, save for Blue Pikmin, which have adorable mouth gills.

Anyway, the reason that the bridge was down was that a tiny adorable Pikmin boat was passing underneath it and they needed to raise the bridge to let the boat get through.

Also, the Wall of Fallen Pikmin has been updated. Remember, many Pikmin still have not been claimed, and one person can claim more than one Pikmin.

• Locked thread