Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Can I get some recs for Carcass worship like Exhumed and Impaled? I'm looking for that groove and melody.

In the opposite direction from the goregrind part of Carcass' sound, and something I've posted before, is Dam. It's like an alternate universe post-Heartwork Carcass devoid of whatever Swan Song was doing. Slightly more "modern," at least in the mid-00's metal sense of the word. Definitely lots of groove and melody though.

https://candlelightrecordsuk.bandcamp.com/album/the-difference-engine (try "Eyeballing" first)

https://candlelightrecordslegacy.bandcamp.com/album/purity-the-darwinian-paradox (there's a Carcass cover on this one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX7P6c0VwBQ

This is getting into Dick Dale territory.:(

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Can I get some recs for Carcass worship like Exhumed and Impaled? I'm looking for that groove and melody.

Haemorrhage is a good choice. I also dig Pathologist and Dead Infection, but that's more early Carcass worship that Necroticism-era. Still rules though. As for Impaled, I only wish they had stayed as good as they were with Mondo Medicale and Death After Life. Too much thrash on The Last Gasp and doing a re-recording of your first album is almost always a bad decision.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

It's sad but I usually consider 60 to be the end in terms of touring and constantly belting out songs, and the guy's pushing 70. Even the old rocker self-embalming technique doesn't work forever.

I took a risk by delving into the comments, but I was pleasantly surprised - there's only three people arguing that a video depicting a living legend dying in front of their eyes is why fans of pop music all suck.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I got to see them in LA a couple weeks ago, it was loving heartbreaking. I only recently got into Motorhead (always loved Ace of Spades but never listened to the rest of the catalog) so I decided to get tickets, knowing Lemmy's life-style and the fact he's almost 70 I thought Motorhead wouldn't have another tour after this. I'm glad I did. Once Lemmy came out the man looked fragile as gently caress. It was sad to see him that way after watching a slew of live videos on YouTube where he had youth and energy. He didn't really move, just played bass and sang while his hands jittered in between songs. They made it through the whole set though.

I think it's time to hang it up.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
On a positive note, Iron Maiden's The Book of Souls is probably their strongest release since their return to form in 2000 with Brave New World.

Spinal Pap
Jun 24, 2007

uh-

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

General Surgery

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ugh, gently caress, hes' done. Just cancel the tour - this isnt right at all.

Lemmy will be dead in under a years time. Mark my words.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Best metal band shirt, or best metal band shirt?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Vulture Culture posted:

I'm trying to comprehend everything in this picture and I just can't.

Like first we have Mr. Neon Pink in the center with his half-assed Bill Kelliher attempt and Uncle Jimmy's plaid shorts.

Then in the back there's young James Hetfield with the thousand yard stare.

Finally we have the floating guitar on the left with redneck bumper stickers and caution tape strap.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

symbolic posted:

I'm trying to comprehend everything in this picture and I just can't.

Like first we have Mr. Neon Pink in the center with his half-assed Bill Kelliher attempt and Uncle Jimmy's plaid shorts.

Then in the back there's young James Hetfield with the thousand yard stare.

Finally we have the floating guitar on the left with redneck bumper stickers and caution tape strap.
This is from one of the most unnecessary videos I've ever seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyZ0lkUzVy8

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Vulture Culture posted:

This is from one of the most unnecessary videos I've ever seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyZ0lkUzVy8
Oi. At least the "Learn to Fly" 1000 person cover had some charm to it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Which is exactly what I want thanks :cheers:

edit: drat only one album from 07, oh well

They have two plus an EP and a split

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

The new Maiden is pretty dang good. Probably their best work since Brave New World.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Possibly Chicken posted:

The new Maiden is pretty dang good. Probably their best work since Brave New World.

I'm torn between it and A Matter of Life and Death. I just really love that album.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

On a positive note, Iron Maiden's The Book of Souls is probably their strongest release since their return to form in 2000 with Brave New World.

Pretty drat stoked to get to hear it myself. Gonna grab it later.

Unrelated, in the meanwhile I'm gonna leave this here. Some pretty drat solid thrash metal. Love the cover art, too.

https://soundcloud.com/imperiumi/sets/angel-of-sodom-divine-retribution

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Vulture Culture posted:

I'm not good with fonts, but is that comic sans too?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Spinal Pap posted:

General Surgery

And on that note, The County Medical Examiners, who did a split with General Surgery.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm not good with fonts, but is that comic sans too?
Yep.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
sorry to interrupt the discussion on whatever terrible poo poo you mouthbreathers like this week, but Morbus Chron called it quits today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56yRT-OYZ-M

rip

Weaponized Cum fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 3, 2015

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Weaponized Cum posted:

sorry to interrupt the discussion on whatever terrible poo poo you mouthbreathers like this week, but Morbus Chron called it quits today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56yRT-OYZ-M
this is p good, thanks

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So what with the new Maiden coming out and being pretty good, here's a quick random question for y'all:

What are your favourite underrated Maiden songs? You know, stuff everyone forgets while harping on about Aces High and whatnot, but you love.

Mine is pretty much Childhood's End. One of the band's very best songs, but I barely ever see it mentioned anywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBGsnepouow

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Nordick posted:

So what with the new Maiden coming out and being pretty good, here's a quick random question for y'all:

What are your favourite underrated Maiden songs? You know, stuff everyone forgets while harping on about Aces High and whatnot, but you love.

Mine is pretty much Childhood's End. One of the band's very best songs, but I barely ever see it mentioned anywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBGsnepouow
I guess I could throw down the entirety of Somewhere in Time since I hardly ever hear that album discussed, but in lieu of being cheeky, Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I really like their self-titled song, it never seems to make any best-of lists but every live version of it is always a highlight for me.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

I like a lot of Maiden tracks that people don't seem to care about but I think top of the list is probably Out Of The Silent Planet. IIRC they actually played it live a couple of times so in that sense it's rated by the band themselves but it's one of those forgotten songs otherwise.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Total Eclipse rocks. One of the best tracks on Number of the Beast.

Edit - I've also always loved 2 A.M off of X-Factor.

AgentJotun fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 4, 2015

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Ghost of the Navigator

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Ghost of the Navigator
Pretty much anything off BNW after The Mercenary.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
People hate on Invaders for some reason but that song rules.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

HJB posted:

I like a lot of Maiden tracks that people don't seem to care about but I think top of the list is probably Out Of The Silent Planet. IIRC they actually played it live a couple of times so in that sense it's rated by the band themselves but it's one of those forgotten songs otherwise.

Yeah that's a really underrated song.

Paschendale is legitimately one of my favorite Maiden songs. I don't really care for anything after Brave New World, but that song loving owns.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Hulk Krogan posted:

Paschendale is legitimately one of my favorite Maiden songs. I don't really care for anything after Brave New World, but that song loving owns.
The intro is just :fap:

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I like the middle songs of Powerslave a lot - Flash of the Blade/The Duelists/Back In The Village..

Holy Smoke.. The Clansman... The Fugitive...

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Charlotte the Harlot and Killers gets me a going, unsure if people hate that but usually people piss all over Di'Anno.

Also love Blaze Bayley era stuff - again, people poo poo on him because he's not Dickinson but whatevs. Angel and the Gambler owns. Blaze Maiden is like a heavier Jethro Tull.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I've literally never seen people rip on Di'Anno; just contrarians saying that his era is way better than Dickinson's.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Di'anno rightfully gets ripped on nowadays for being a sad, eternally bitter has-been, but the first two albums are badass.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

As an Australian who hasnt seen Motorhead in about 4-5 years I have come to terms that I probably wont see them again.

Lemmy should just do HeadCat from now on.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Hulk Krogan posted:

Yeah that's a really underrated song.

The Death On The Road versions of that and Dance Of Death are two of the best live tracks you'll ever hear.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I'd rather listen to Chemical Wedding than Dickinson with Maiden (especially newer Maiden). There's something about that album that just soars.

Underrated maiden though? Gangland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

symbolic posted:

I guess I could throw down the entirety of Somewhere in Time since I hardly ever hear that album discussed
Really? I've long had the impression it's generally one of the more esteemed Maiden albums, albeit not necessarily top-tier. But yeah, Loneliness etc is a good song.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Ghost of the Navigator
Best drat song on BNW after Dream of Mirrors. Although the margin here isn't huge, since most songs on BNW are excellent.

Hulk Krogan posted:

Well I love Dance of Death even more than I love BNW, but I'm with you about Paschendale, it's one of my favourites from them too. One of the more powerful anti-war songs I've heard, too. Amazing lyrics.

Blood is falling like the rain
its crimson cloak unveils again
The sound of guns can't hide their shame
and so we die in Paschendale

I wish there was a crying :black101: smiley.

Varg posted:

Holy Smoke
Decent song, but the best thing about it is the music video.

Vintersorg posted:

Also love Blaze Bayley era stuff - again, people poo poo on him because he's not Dickinson but whatevs. Angel and the Gambler owns. Blaze Maiden is like a heavier Jethro Tull.
I agree Blaze gets unfairly shat on. I'm not too wild about Virtual XI, but The X Factor is a good album. I just have a hard time counting it in with other Maiden stuff since it sounds so different to me. But I never had anything against Blaze Bayley.

The Clit Avoider posted:

I'd rather listen to Chemical Wedding than Dickinson with Maiden (especially newer Maiden). There's something about that album that just soars.
Not just Chemical Wedding, a lot of Dickinson's solo stuff is easily on par with Maiden. Accident of Birth loving owns.