Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

BlazetheInferno posted:

Actually, come to think of it, Kyras may be a powerful Psyker... but his big huge Khorne moment has him using those powers for nothing more than communication. He's not doing the killing with Psyker-stuff. He's arranged an Exterminatus and dedicating all of it to Khorne. He's getting someone to blow up a PLANET for him... with mortal-made weapons. An entire Sector's worth of deaths, and the Psyker didn't mind-bullet them all to do it.

No wonder Khorne decided to let it slide. Sure he's not the one pulling the trigger... but he's the one who made sure it happened.

There's also the fact he was working with a Khornate demon. Not only that, he orchestrated an entire sector of war. Marine vs Marine, Eldar vs Eldar, Even Chaos vs Chaos. slaughtering one another in a 10 year bloody war, capped off with an entire sector, billions upon billions of lives being snuffed out in an instant. Under the Imperiums own guns in fact! From a Space Marine Chapter Master. Not by mind control or with warp fire or even by summoning demons. But through pure war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

There is a certain simple elegance in it.

And yes, Eldar against Eldar because they are too smug to talk to each other.
Truly the Eldarest of fates.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Here's the thing, all that planning, turning everyone against each-other and playing everyone to further his standing with the gods is something that Tzeentch would love. Basically my problem with Kyras falling to Khorne is that the way he goes about it is so Tzeentchian that it's a shame not to let the Changer of Ways have his time in the lime-light instead of Khorne, who is in almost every game. Even this one has a Khornate Bloodthirster as the big name Chaos unit. Which to be fair Word Bearers are Chaos Undivided but I still think that Khorne gets an overly large amount of importance for Chaos in these games as a whole. Kyras joining Khorne isn't the problem it just feels like they can't do anything cool with any of the others and that's my issue.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Here's the thing, all that planning, turning everyone against each-other and playing everyone to further his standing with the gods is something that Tzeentch would love. Basically my problem with Kyras falling to Khorne is that the way he goes about it is so Tzeentchian that it's a shame not to let the Changer of Ways have his time in the lime-light instead of Khorne, who is in almost every game. Even this one has a Khornate Bloodthirster as the big name Chaos unit. Which to be fair Word Bearers are Chaos Undivided but I still think that Khorne gets an overly large amount of importance for Chaos in these games as a whole. Kyras joining Khorne isn't the problem it just feels like they can't do anything cool with any of the others and that's my issue.

Not really, His plan was "Have everyone murder each other to the point the Inquisition has no choice but to say 'gently caress it, Exterminatus, we can't salvage this.'" And go under another name, Besides he fell to Nurgle first, then Khorne because of a Khornate Demon from the first Dawn of War.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I meant his actions were Tzeentchian not his goal, and the Chaos Gods have always cared about actions over goals. Of course Khorne is totally going to let goal over action matter when the goal is a massive amount of bloodshed, warfare and general hatred from everyone to everyone. I don't actually have that big of a problem with the story of Retribution I just really wish they'd gone a different route, what we got is fine but it could have been so much better in my opinion. Also his plan required a massive amount of skill at misdirection and deception to even have a hope of pulling off which is a Tzeentchian thing not a Khornate one. But this is of course just my opinion and you're absolutely write that his actions were also very Khornate.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Maybe he really did fall to Tzeentch and it's all a big misdirection. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
You could probably argue Kyras either way for Khorne or Tzeentch, even arguably Nurgle, but I think it mostly comes down to the fact that Kyras consciously chose Khorne. The Chaos Gods are vague enough that most any large-scale action could be justified to be for the sake of two or more, but Chaos in the end tends to be about personal choice, and Kyras has signed on with the Blood God.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
So, uh presumably the Blood Ravens wouldn't last long after the end of Retribution (assuming the Space Marine ending is canon). Can't imagine the inquisition looking too kindly on a chapter whose loving chapter master was a daemon.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Welp, I've been stonewalled by the Eldar Stronghold in Titanium War. The furthest I have gotten is stomping the Orks only to be stomped by Chaos.

The problem is that they decided that the early bases were too easy for you to just send you honor guard into to crush. So they changed it so Chaos has like 20 Chaos Dreadnaughts and 3+ Defilers who will constantly snipe at you along with their horde. And the Orks have enough units Squiggoths and Gargantuan Squiggoths (The same thing, but larger) to launch a full scale Waaargh basically within the hour. All with the Eldar continuing to attack your base, when you still only have two strategic points.

For all they added I like, I probably wont do the campaign on TW anymore when I finish this run. The short of it is, it's not fun. My only recourse should not be "Well I better tech up to Tier 3 ASAP, Get 2 Assault Terminators, 1 Terminator, stick with my Honor Guard of Assault Termi + 2 Terminators, and then slowly Micro while advancing hoping that my base units can hold out without me nannying them (they can't)

With Tau and Imp guard and even Chaos (though they've stepped up unit production to) it was fine, because never was my base camp so overwhelmed so early that I've felt (given that I'm not the best at RTS games, and certainly not at micro managing) that I have no chance at victory. I legitimately feel I've hit the insurmountable wall. And I don't want to reload and do the Ork Stronghold, because even if it's easier, it'll just make the Eldar harder.

Oh, and the Eldar start teched up so all their buildings are invisible from the get go.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

So, uh presumably the Blood Ravens wouldn't last long after the end of Retribution (assuming the Space Marine ending is canon). Can't imagine the inquisition looking too kindly on a chapter whose loving chapter master was a daemon.

None of the "good" faction endings have the Inquisition find out, and none of the "bad" faction endings leave enough Blood Ravens around for it to matter. Specifically the Inquisitor in Retribution is a friend of the guy who in the Space Marine ending is named the new chapter master. From what I recall the canon ending is going to be a combo of Gaurd, which saves the sector, and Space Marine, which saves a good amount of the chapter and the aforementioned new chapter master who dies in all other endings, brought about because for once both groups pulled their collective heads out of their own collective anuses to remember that they all want the same goddamn thing and maybe they should work together.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lord_Magmar posted:

From what I recall the canon ending is going to be a combo of Gaurd, which saves the sector, and Space Marine, which saves a good amount of the chapter and the aforementioned new chapter master who dies in all other endings, brought about because for once both groups pulled their collective heads out of their own collective anuses to remember that they all want the same goddamn thing and maybe they should work together.

And also the Eldar, who got what they went after Kyras for and got out.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Cythereal posted:

And also the Eldar, who got what they went after Kyras for and got out.

They still hilariously kill another craftworld's seer council for /no reason/. So grimdark.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Eimi posted:

They still hilariously kill another craftworld's seer council for /no reason/. So grimdark.

To be fair on that one, Biel-Tan hits first. The Ulthwe crew is going "Hold on, let's talk about this for a second" when the Biel-Tan folks open fire.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Cythereal posted:

To be fair on that one, Biel-Tan hits first. The Ulthwe crew is going "Hold on, let's talk about this for a second" when the Biel-Tan folks open fire.

Which honestly fits right in with their character. Biel-Tan are the guys who jump to conclusions and rush into battle without thinking. They're not called the swordwind for nothing. Guys seriously need to chill or it's not just going to be Slanesh who's interested in their souls. They'll get Korne knocking at the door as well.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I honestly more just remember it as them prophecy dick waving. "Oh well our prophecy says this!" "Yay? Well ours says THIS!" Meanwhile Cegorach and Eldrad are in a corner giggling because they are both massive dicks and make both prophecies come true in the worst way.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Slaan posted:

Kill the Orkz, then Chaos. So the poor kroot have something to eat, so they are nice and full before going up against the inedible Chaos marines and the very small-portioned Eldar.

Chaeden posted:

Kauyon also RELEASE THE SQUIGGOTHS(Attack the orks)

Cythereal posted:

Kill the Orks.

It will be so. We assault the Orkz using the path of Kauyon.

Sending Harbinger Drones to probe the outer perimeter of the Ork territory.

Some light Ork resistance guards a slag deposit. There are some leftover Eldar Webway Gates trying to port in turrets, but we'll stop them.

BUILDING DRONE SQUADS TO DEFEND OUR SECOND CADRE HEADQUARTERS.

The Orkz are coming out in force. We'll push them back to their outer strategic point.

Commencing Harbinger Drone Swarm.

Shas'o, are you able to return to base? The Eldar's attacks are ramping up.
I'm on my way to let the Squiggoths out of their pen. Focus on getting that Kauyon post up and get Kroot Hounds and Krootox defending the base as soon as possible. Until then, train up a Stealthsuit team. Use their EMP grenades to keep the Wraithlords back. If they keep bunching up, you can disable the whole lot of them at once.

I have arrived on the battlefield, Shas'o. My Fire Warrior Bodyguards shall help keep them at bay while we learn the path of Kauyon. I shall direct Air Caste strikes in the meantime.
Coordinates are locked.

Fall back, but make sure they do not destroy the Cadre HQ!

Kroot Hounds are ready, Aun'el. They shall tear them apart.

Hope we aren't needed back at base. Harbinger teams have cleared the way up to the Orkz' front doorstep.

Raaaaagh! No puny grey-skin is gonna dethrone me! I iz da greatest Warboss, not Gorgutz! I am Da Hugemungus! Me Choppa-boy Berzerkers and Shoota Crazies'll tear youse all ta pieces. Youse ain't walkin' away from dis one. Dere won't be no end to da bloodshed. I'ze gonna take yer slag deposit and use it fer me Weird Boyz to build da biggest tank army Kronus 'as ever seen.

Uh huh, redirecting Drones.
Wot's dis? Yer a bunch o'soddin' ninnies, you are! Is you really attackin' me wit puny robots? Ye can't evern be bothered ta foight me yerselves? S'not roight.

We are beginning to gain the advantage at base. We will start reconstruction of our defenses.

Shapers lead each Hound pack, and Krootox will be a great boon for our forces.

That's great news. I'm nearly at the Squiggoth's pen. The Eldar have left Webway Gates about the landscape and are using them to port in turrets. I've been able to destroy most, but I can't get them all--

*sigh*

Western front reporting in. We are doing fine without you, Shas'o. The Chaos attackers continue to be paltry, and not even flanking maneuvers from the Eldar can dislodge us.

Excellent. I'm nearly done, anyways. A minefield litters the path to the Squiggoth pen. If we can, for a moment, let us pause and appreciate the elegant simplicity of the Orkz.

There mines are literally just sticks of dynamite taped to cans of gasoline. They've stuck clocks on them as well, which seems to be more for effect, since they are triggered by proximity. Astounding.

Right, I'll just jetpack in, open the gate--

--and leave!

Feeding coordinates to the Drones. New order: ignore Squiggoth, continue assaulting the Orkz.

Haha, Boss, dis'll be a roight propa Waaagh!! 'ere, eh?
Oi, yeah, it'll be a good'un roight up until we'ze all gets chomped up! Yer git, kill der Squiggoth! Don't let'erm destroy da Mek Factoriez!

News, Shas'o, our base is secure. The Eldar continue to send probing attacks, but are now beaten back handily.
Combat is its own reward. It provides a free meal, after all.

No, NO! Chop'em up!! Chop'em up!!!!

One of the Squiggoths is down. The second one wont last much longer.
They've served their purpose. Bring the Fire Warrior teams forward!

Bloody Eldar tricked me--

Heh heh, we'ze got'im, Boss!

Er, Boss?
Da Boss is dead! Let'z get outta here! Maybe Gorgutz'll let us foight with'im again.

Ah, we had thought the Omega and Gamma teams to be lost, but they live and are ready to fight for the Greater Good!
A Hammerhead Gunship on the path of Kauyon, who'd've thought it? I am ready to serve, Shas' o.

Excellent work. We need new plans, War Council. Here is our eastern front--the Ork forces have been decimated. I lead a team of three Fire Warrior squads, Pathfinders, two Harbingers, some Vespid Elders, and a Hammerhead Gunship.

Amongst our spoils, we took control of two more slag deposits. We can use Harbinger Drone Swarms to our heart's content.

The western front remains stable. My Honour Guard are having no trouble keeping the Chaos Schism Cult at bay.

Aun'el now leads a sizeable Kroot contingent. Three Shapers lead the Kroot Hounds and the Alpha pack. Krootox are available, as are Vespid Elders, and Aun'el's own Fire Warrior Bodyguards. There are also Drone Squads that can be called upon at our second Cadre HQ.

Once again we find our forces divided into two, more or less, neat armies. Aun'el again leads the Main Force, and Shas'o leads the Strike Force. If we wish, we can attack the Chaos Schism Cult. The Main Force is nearest, but frankly, we now control this area of the map and can have either or both destroy Chaos. We could also take the Relic, which would allow us to bring Gregory into combat. Again, either or both of the Strike and Main Force could accomplish this objective. This would also commence our proper attack on the Eldar base. We also have the option of sending the Strike Force along to take the eastern Eldar Webway Gate. This leaves them far from the support of the Main Force, though, and may be less desirable. So, what will it be?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
Strike Force take the Relic, Main Force take out the chaos, then go to secure relic while Strike force takes out the gate.

Then two pronged attack on Eldar

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

The patient hunter knows when to strike: now. Take the relic.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Arashiofordo3 posted:

Which honestly fits right in with their character. Biel-Tan are the guys who jump to conclusions and rush into battle without thinking. They're not called the swordwind for nothing. Guys seriously need to chill or it's not just going to be Slanesh who's interested in their souls. They'll get Korne knocking at the door as well.

That reminds me- have there been any non-Goto depictions of Chaos Eldar? What happens if one of them go full-Khorne, are their souls protected?

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Pretty sure Slaanesh somehow called dibs on all Eldar souls so it doesn't matter but a radical craftworld aligning itself with Khorne to sow dissention between the gods is eldar as all hell.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Strike Force take the Relic, Main Force take out the chaos, then go to secure relic while Strike force takes out the gate.

Then two pronged attack on Eldar

This is a good plan, we should proceed with it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Deploying Gregory for his quest is our number 1 priority.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Strike Force takes out Chaos. While getting Gregory into the field is a good idea, being able to counter the Eldar trickery by using the guns of your entire force is probably going to help as well.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Capture the Relic. We want our heavy hitter up A.S.A.P.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
We need to see a T-rex eat a magma man.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Destroy the Night Lords.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

goatface posted:

We need to see a T-rex eat a magma man.

We all nerd out about stupid poo poo, but this, right here, this is the reason 40k sticks around.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Night10194 posted:

Deploying Gregory for his quest is our number 1 priority.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The Chaos forces are unpredictable, and are a distraction we cannot afford if we wish to strike at Taldeer with our full strength. Wipe out the Night Lords, and then Taldeer will have nothing left between her and the Greater Good. Easily held or no, forces spent keeping Chaos at bay are forces not available to strike at the Eldar. Then, once they are removed, we can eliminate Taldeer from this war for good.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Yeah, that's nowhere near as hard as it is for me. For one, the Squiggoths barely make a dent in the Orks base. For a second, they have their own Squiggoths.

I actually came somewhat theoretically close to taking the Orks out this time, only to look back and see 5 Despoilers having chewed through my base. This game needs something more urgent than "Your forces are under attack!" for when it's your base.

loving awful...

Onmi fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 4, 2015

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

I am having trouble determining which force has what kind of units, but I think that Main Force takes out Chaos while Strike Force prepares for Gregory's deployment.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Main Force:
  • Aun'el
  • Kroot Hounds w/ Shaper x2
  • Kroot Alpha Pack w/ Shaper x1
  • Krootox
  • Fire Warrior Bodyguards
  • Vespid Stingwing Elders
  • Stealthsuit Team

Strike Force:
  • Shas'o
  • Pathfinders
  • Fire Warriors x3
  • Drone Harbingers x2
  • Hammerhead Gunship

Auxiliaries
Defending the 2nd Cadre HQ
  • Drone Squads x2
Defending the west from Chaos
  • Veteran Stealthsuit Team x2
  • Fire Warrior Bodyguards x2

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Onmi posted:

loving awful...

Bunched together like that, we could disable all four Defilers with a single EMP grenade.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

Blind Sally posted:

Main Force:
  • Aun'el
  • Kroot Hounds w/ Shaper x2
  • Kroot Alpha Pack w/ Shaper x1
  • Krootox
  • Fire Warrior Bodyguards
  • Stealthsuit Team

Strike Force:
  • Shas'o
  • Pathfinders
  • Fire Warriors x3
  • Drone Harbingers x2
  • Hammerhead Gunship

Auxiliaries
Defending the 2nd Cadre HQ
  • Drone Squads x2
Defending the west from Chaos
  • Veteran Stealthsuit Team x2
  • Fire Warrior Bodyguards x2

Okay, changing my vote. Main Force to Relic; Strike Team to Chaos

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Welp I finally Finished off the Ork stronghold and my main stronghold isn't in tattered ruins since I just kept throwing dying people (Dreadnaughts in Drop pods) at the horde of Chaos until they stopped breathing down my neck. I'm christening Operation: Dead Drop a success, while I capture my relic and prepare to unleash the Imperial Titan

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

If Eldar are basically space elves (superiour arrogant dickheads who think they know better than everyone), what are Dark Eldar? Are they basically space drow, or do they go in a completely different direction?

(more loreposts tia)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

biosterous posted:

If Eldar are basically space elves (superiour arrogant dickheads who think they know better than everyone), what are Dark Eldar? Are they basically space drow, or do they go in a completely different direction?

(more loreposts tia)

They're the Eldar who didn't learn a drat thing from being so hedonistic they created a dark God of hedonism and perfection, and so they run around grabbing people to torture to death, etc, to replenish their souls and buy off Slaanesh.

They're kind of lame, honestly, in that the setting can't really decide what to do with them and was afraid to make straight Chaos Eldar. Also, pretty much everything about them is the embodiment of trying to be 90s grim. Even moreso than usual for 40k.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It's worth noting that the "high elves" aren't the default ones in the setting. The Dark Eldar are basically the real Eldar society, fairly similar to what it was around the time Slaanesh was born, and the 'regular' Eldar are basically space Puritans living on space Mayflower(s).

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

The Eldar are repressed sex and drug addicts who realized that in the past, their desire to gently caress every hole, then stab new holes to gently caress, while snorting a cocktail of drugs and alcohol through their tearducts, was maybe not the smartest thing to do given that they wiped out their entire culture.

The Dark Eldar said "Yes, the destruction of our race was horrible. But what if we could KEEP DOING THE SEX AND DRUGS THING?" And thus they fled into the webway, and while the regular eldar have Soulstones so if they die Slaneesh can't get them, and refuse to feed She who Thirsts. The Dark Eldar stave off death by raping, torturing, and sacrificing EVERYONE ELSE so they can keep living and continue to skull gently caress eye sockets as apart of their morning rituals.

There's a story of the Tau trying to defend a world from the Tyranids, so looking for allies they eventually aligned with the Dark Eldar. The first battle was a success but the Dark Eldar requested as a sign of cultural exchange and thanks for their help, Members from each caste including the Ethereal cast, I think 77 from each and 11 Ethereal or 77 all together. Anyway, the next time fighting happened the Dark Eldar had these things called Grotesques on their side that moaned in pain and generally looked horribly deformed and mutated. I think you see where this is going.

When the Tau turned on the Dark Eldar for their treachery, they realized their ships weren't there anymore. And when they went down to the planet, they found it stripped bare.

Dark Eldar society is one of sex, drugs and high dickery, the current lord got his position by having the daughter of one of his enemies kill him, because he'd made her his courtesan long before. She did it happily by the way. They're also in the webway so good loving luck FINDING them. That's where Jaghati Khan is too by the way, charged into the webway looking for the Eldar.

Another story of Eldar dickery is that an STC for Panacea was discovered, this was a medicine that could cure all diseases and basically deal a devastating blow to Nergal. So the Dark Eldar stole it and don't do anything with it.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

biosterous posted:

(more loreposts tia)

They all live and rule in Commorragh, a giant city thing thats in the webway. The city itself actually has mostly alien races that the Dark Eldar brought as slaves/playthings. Their main interaction with the outside universe is raiding other races for sport and getting more exotic slaves/playthings. They need a constant source of new slaves since they tend to spend up the old ones through torture and soul stealing. Which is fine to them, since they also love to hunt as well. They absolutely NEED souls since Slaneesh is constantly trying to eat up their souls. They are basically space vampires who feed on souls and suffering of others. The torture isn't really necessary, they just think eaten souls taste better if they have been tortured a bit.
Eldar and Dark Eldar interaction is kind of weird. If theres something else to kill theyll mostly ignore each other, but Dark Eldar do enjoy just killing and humiliating the normal Eldar some times. Where the Eldar really want to survive as a race, the Dark Eldar don't really give a gently caress. They just want to live forever because death is worst thing that can happen to them(It's getting eaten by Slaneesh).
I guess it's worth mentioning why Slaneesh is such a bad thing for Eldar society. Basically before Slaneesh, Eldar were immortal in a way, if they died their souls would enter the warp and theyd be reborn again through another Eldar baby. Well this doesent happen anymore. Slaneesh just eats you after you die. RIP. Normal Eldar avoid this through spirit stones that they all carry. To them nothing is worse than breaking that stone since you end up being eaten by Slaneesh. Well Dark Eldar dont have these spirit stones and think they are stupid so they break Eldar spirit stones. The spirit actually does stay in a corpse for a few days, so Dark Eldar prefer to just have someone bring their dead body to be cloned. This is very painful and horrifying, but everything the Dark Eldar do is very painful and horrifying.

• Locked thread