Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

TBA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I stared at that for way too long waiting for it to tell me to get out.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
i just got a wii fit amiibo for this game :>

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Do the costume unlocks only apply to what you can put in a level? Like if I downloaded that Donkey Kong themed level, would the DK/Diddy mushrooms show up if I hadn't unlocked them yet (or scanned their amiibo)?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Minidust posted:

Do the costume unlocks only apply to what you can put in a level? Like if I downloaded that Donkey Kong themed level, would the DK/Diddy mushrooms show up if I hadn't unlocked them yet (or scanned their amiibo)?

Correct; you can pick up whatever amiibo costume mushrooms you want that have been placed into levels, but when making your own levels, you have to have scanned the amiibo yourself.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Wait, so what does unlocking the "costume" through 100 mario challenge actually do? Allow us to play levels AS that character?

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?
You can put costumes you've unlocked into levels you create.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Narcissus1916 posted:

Wait, so what does unlocking the "costume" through 100 mario challenge actually do? Allow us to play levels AS that character?

Does the same thing as scanning an amiibo; unlocks a costume for use in building levels.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Can you scan in your amiibo right away, or do you have to make a few levels/wait first. I don't want to unlock a costume for an amiibo I already have and waste a potential unlock

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

i saw slippy on a white background at first and he looked really weird

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Can you unlock costumes through 10/100 Mario Challenge that are also tied to an amiibo?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

SeANMcBAY posted:

Can you unlock costumes through 10/100 Mario Challenge that are also tied to an amiibo?

Yes, amiibos just make it faster

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yes, amiibos just make it faster

I could be wrong, but it looks like amiibos technically don't unlock the costume. Scanning an amiibo just gives you one mystery mushroom to use. In order to unlock that costume permanently without needing to rescan the amiibo, I think you need to unlock it in 100/10-man mario.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Sam Faust posted:

I could be wrong, but it looks like amiibos technically don't unlock the costume. Scanning an amiibo just gives you one mystery mushroom to use. In order to unlock that costume permanently without needing to rescan the amiibo, I think you need to unlock it in 100/10-man mario.

Nah, there's been a few videos of people just scanning them in fresh and the unlock board pops up to show it.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Nah, there's been a few videos of people just scanning them in fresh and the unlock board pops up to show it.

Ah, that make sense. I didn't think about whether or not they were scanned in for the first time.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Here's a video of almost all the Amiibo costumes in Mario Maker. There's some really fun surprises.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

These are super cool, I love the Mario Kart costume. Gonna have to build a Go Fast level with that one.

And seeing arcade Mario Bros Mario running around in Super Mario Bros is real weird!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I was just going to post about that video. Some of the costumes are really off the wall. I was definitely not expecting Nikki from swapnote.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I wish the internet could have been trusted with recordable sounds, because it shows so much promise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSSxQGTEkro

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Are you going to be able to download your friend's custom sounds (I assume you can specifically download levels from people if you want)?

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo, is that last one Chie from Persona 4?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Nikki from Swapnote.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

That's actually all 100 of them. Well, 99 plus the random costume option.

EDIT: lmfao it just went private. Well, there's the list anyway!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Playtonic Games SMM stream happening right now: http://www.twitch.tv/nintendouk

They seem to having someone actually competent playing right now

edit: They're also talking about how they designed the levels which is really cool. And how they teach the player how the stage works as you play it

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
He refuses to leave coins behind. Truly, Playtonic is a collectathon company at heart.

Holy crap, these levels are great. I guess it should be expected since they're professionals and all.

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 3, 2015

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

This is finally the game that will get me to buy a Wii U. Good job, Nintendo.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

ColdPie posted:

This is finally the game that will get me to buy a Wii U. Good job, Nintendo.

Same. I want to get the Mario maker bundle

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWBtfATiH6s

reupload of the costume showcase video

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

All of these are cool, but even cooler is the loving YOSHI COOKIE MUSIC

I'm so happy. All of my stages are going to have Yoshi Cookie music.

Gann Jerrod posted:

I wish the internet could have been trusted with recordable sounds, because it shows so much promise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSSxQGTEkro

Also, this is a pro click; Griffin McElroy is hilarious and this is hilarious.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

It is in my heart.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Does the $10 amazon Prime discount work on the Digital Code option? Or just the hard copy?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

jivjov posted:

Does the $10 amazon Prime discount work on the Digital Code option?
The "save with prime" message disappears when you switch to the digital version so I assume not.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

J-Spot posted:

The "save with prime" message disappears when you switch to the digital version so I assume not.

drat :( guess I'll just buy straight through the eShop then.

What's the most painless way to convert PayPal bux to eShop bux? I can always just withdraw it to my bank account, but that always seems to take forever.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

lol if you haven't preloaded your digital copy and ordered your free companion booklet yet

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

codenameFANGIO posted:

lol if you haven't preloaded your digital copy and ordered your free companion booklet yet

I get paid tomorrow morning!

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?

jivjov posted:

drat :( guess I'll just buy straight through the eShop then.

What's the most painless way to convert PayPal bux to eShop bux? I can always just withdraw it to my bank account, but that always seems to take forever.

I haven't used it myself, but you can get eShop cards as PayPal Digital Gifts. Should be painless enough?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

shows all the costumes, doesnt hit the up button once.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

codenameFANGIO posted:

I preordered a physical copy from amazon. Apparently the game is quite small, seems like something it would be nice to have on the console at all times but oh well

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The Manticore posted:

I haven't used it myself, but you can get eShop cards as PayPal Digital Gifts. Should be painless enough?

Oh neat! Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Macaluso posted:

Playtonic Games SMM stream happening right now: http://www.twitch.tv/nintendouk

They seem to having someone actually competent playing right now

edit: They're also talking about how they designed the levels which is really cool. And how they teach the player how the stage works as you play it

Here's a youtube upload. Their levels are a cut above most of the other ones you've likely seen, as you might expect:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct51yd4LNgw

• Locked thread