Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well my kid just got to the age where he says creepy things. I know this is basically random sentence construction, but still you hate hearing your two year old point to the corner and say "The tall man was holding my hand over there". Jesus Christ!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

greatn posted:

Well my kid just got to the age where he says creepy things. I know this is basically random sentence construction, but still you hate hearing your two year old point to the corner and say "The tall man was holding my hand over there". Jesus Christ!

Yesterday my son was singing, quite tunefully, "My arms are broken, and they're bleeding, and my legs are bleeding, and there's blood on the floor, and we can't walk!" to his little brother to entertain him. :confuoot:

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\
That's pure awesome. You should post it here as well. :) Last school year, the [now] 4 y.o. and I had to have an entire conversation about eating people. It's great when they get in that sweet zone of pure :stare: because their little minds just march to the beat of a different drummer.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Seems we're now selling the finnish baby box to people abroad:
http://www.finnishbabybox.co/

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

His Divine Shadow posted:

Seems we're now selling the finnish baby box to people abroad:
http://www.finnishbabybox.co/

Oh my goodness those moomin clothes are so cute. Now I want to have another baby so I can get one.
Edit: Not $680 worth of cute though.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
That box looks awesome. I looked at http://babyboxco.com/ real hard and seriously evaluated whether or not I love my baby enough to buy her a $70 cardboard box.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Charmmi posted:

That box looks awesome. I looked at http://babyboxco.com/ real hard and seriously evaluated whether or not I love my baby enough to buy her a $70 cardboard box.

We used laundry baskets back when the babies were tiny.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I used a $2 shipping box we got some other stuff in until we got the co-sleeper set up. $70 for that cardboard box and the stuff that comes in it seems a bit much.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Argh, I hate mystery fevers. Our 4 y/o came into our bed Sunday night, he felt quite warm, had a 38.5C (101.3F) armpit temperature. Monday and Tuesday it kept around 37.5C (99.5F). No other symptoms whatsoever, either physical or behavioural. It did cause our shared nanny to refuse taking him for the other kids though, just in case.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Jasper's mystery fevers have always ended up being ear infections even though he never has another symptom with them or complains of any pain.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

GlyphGryph posted:

I used a $2 shipping box we got some other stuff in until we got the co-sleeper set up. $70 for that cardboard box and the stuff that comes in it seems a bit much.

OTOH the stuff that comes in the expensive box costs more to buy separately than in the form of that box. It's high quality stuff all of it. We're pretty lucky to get it.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
That's rad. Especially when you consider that Finland has the? lowest infant mortality rate in the world and it's highly credited to that baby box.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So apparently my 1 year old was "beating up all the kids" today at daycare. They were saying she's hitting all the kids when she falls and gets frustrated. And that her usual punching bag, Mae, wasn't there today so she took it out on the rest of the kids. And they gave her timeout every time she did it.

Which, you know, she's 1 so timeout does fuckall. And every single time I drop her off and take her out of her car seat and get her stuff ready Mae comes up laughing and giggling and gets in her face (which I don't care, I like it) and once I saw Nora sort of swat at her. But in an uncoordinated "I'm going to touch that thing in front of my face" way. Not a malicious hit or anything.

Which is what I am assuming she was doing with the other kids. Also they claimed that every time another kid got in trouble she'd point at them and go "ohhhhhhhh!" Like in a "na na na na" way.

But you know... she's loving one and points and grunts an "ohhhh" out at anything that gets her attention. Geez. I mean we've been doing a good job of telling her no lately as she starts to clearly be figuring things out, but I've never seen her get frustrated after a fall or even hit anything in any other way than a clumsy attempt to grasp it.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

BonoMan posted:

So apparently my 1 year old was "beating up all the kids" today at daycare. They were saying she's hitting all the kids when she falls and gets frustrated. And that her usual punching bag, Mae, wasn't there today so she took it out on the rest of the kids. And they gave her timeout every time she did it.

Which, you know, she's 1 so timeout does fuckall. And every single time I drop her off and take her out of her car seat and get her stuff ready Mae comes up laughing and giggling and gets in her face (which I don't care, I like it) and once I saw Nora sort of swat at her. But in an uncoordinated "I'm going to touch that thing in front of my face" way. Not a malicious hit or anything.

Which is what I am assuming she was doing with the other kids. Also they claimed that every time another kid got in trouble she'd point at them and go "ohhhhhhhh!" Like in a "na na na na" way.

But you know... she's loving one and points and grunts an "ohhhh" out at anything that gets her attention. Geez. I mean we've been doing a good job of telling her no lately as she starts to clearly be figuring things out, but I've never seen her get frustrated after a fall or even hit anything in any other way than a clumsy attempt to grasp it.

If they're giving time outs to a one year old, I would have serious concerns about their knowledge of child development and how else it's influencing their care.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

skeetied posted:

If they're giving time outs to a one year old, I would have serious concerns about their knowledge of child development and how else it's influencing their care.

Yeah it kind of worries me. Although after talking to my wife, the timeouts were just putting her in crib away from other babies. So that's at least a little better.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

BonoMan posted:

She's 1? It sounds to me like your daycare providers have zero loving clue what developmentally appropriate behavior is. They're ascribing far more advanced motives to her behavior than she's capable of at this point. And I personally would probably be pretty uncomfortable with continuing to take my kid to a place that is going to misinterpret behaviors that poorly and then assign judgment on the kids as a result. I mean, they're just deciding that she's not only a bully but also is taunting other children? That's loving crazy, and it WILL affect how they treat her.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Fionnoula posted:

She's 1? It sounds to me like your daycare providers have zero loving clue what developmentally appropriate behavior is. They're ascribing far more advanced motives to her behavior than she's capable of at this point. And I personally would probably be pretty uncomfortable with continuing to take my kid to a place that is going to misinterpret behaviors that poorly and then assign judgment on the kids as a result. I mean, they're just deciding that she's not only a bully but also is taunting other children? That's loving crazy, and it WILL affect how they treat her.

Yeah I think I'll have to have a talk with the sister tomorrow (it's a catholic daycare)

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

BonoMan posted:

Yeah it kind of worries me. Although after talking to my wife, the timeouts were just putting her in crib away from other babies. So that's at least a little better.

Not really. If she is already one then I would somewhat question the use of cribs as most places would have her in cots or on mats and be redirecting the behavior instead of isolating her.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

BonoMan posted:

Yeah I think I'll have to have a talk with the sister tomorrow (it's a catholic daycare)

Sever.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

BonoMan posted:

Just find a different daycare. They clearly have waaaay different (wrong) ideas what's developmentally appropriate and you talking to them likely will not change their minds.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

You need to find another daycare immediately. A 1 year old is not capable of taunting other children and is not attempting to be mean to the other children the way they are describing. Furthermore, a daycare should not be using a crib as a punishment or as a containment device outside of naptime. This is not just a single red flag situation, this is a whole series of pretty substantial red flags.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ceridwen posted:

You need to find another daycare immediately. A 1 year old is not capable of taunting other children and is not attempting to be mean to the other children the way they are describing. Furthermore, a daycare should not be using a crib as a punishment or as a containment device outside of naptime. This is not just a single red flag situation, this is a whole series of pretty substantial red flags.

Seriously. A kid that age is just reacting to stimuli and interacting with this weird huge world around them - they're not capable of malice or forethought in any way. It's pretty shocking that any daycare would respond to a 1 year old's behaviour in that manner.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Bardeh posted:

Seriously. A kid that age is just reacting to stimuli and interacting with this weird huge world around them - they're not capable of malice or forethought in any way. It's pretty shocking that any daycare would respond to a 1 year old's behaviour in that manner.

They are insane and should not operate a daycare. I don't know how easy it is for you to find another day care but I would also try to switch ASAP

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Unfortunately all the daycares are severely backed up around here. We're on the list for some...it's just a waiting game at this point. I'm going to go pick her up now and eagerly await what they'll say about her this time.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Maybe you can find a home daycare thing? Where a bunch of moms take care of far few kids in a house? I forgot the name, they are usually cheaper than daycare as well.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I don't know if its coincidence, but Jasper has taken a liking to eating a big bowl of bran cereal for breakfast. (He asks for its specifically!) He has also started to be a lot better about knowing he needs to poop and sitting on the toilet when he feels it.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Maybe, instead of having a panic attack like everyone in the thread is doing, they should just talk to the daycare and find out what they mean by timeout. It may be that they're separating the 1 year old from the challenging stimuli so they can cool off, which is a perfectly reasonable thing to do to avoid bigger problems.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Maybe, instead of having a panic attack like everyone in the thread is doing, they should just talk to the daycare and find out what they mean by timeout. It may be that they're separating the 1 year old from the challenging stimuli so they can cool off, which is a perfectly reasonable thing to do to avoid bigger problems.

I already mentioned it but they're just putting her in her crib. That's not necessarily the bad part as much as them thinking she's doing stuff maliciously and taunting others.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

BonoMan posted:

I already mentioned it but they're just putting her in her crib. That's not necessarily the bad part as much as them thinking she's doing stuff maliciously and taunting others.

That part's a bit weird. Is there no webcam? Maybe ask them to tape what they say is your child being malicious and you can see for yourself. Kids do weird poo poo sometimes.

Jason Ray
Mar 26, 2006
Teetotaling Atheist
I need help with getting my son to sleep on his own. Here's the current situation: He's 11 months old, I haven't been able to get him to sleep without rocking him or feeding him to sleep, He's been Co-sleeping with us since May, when he sleeps alone it's usually only an hour before he wakes up angry, when he's sleeping with us he'll wake up in the middle of the night wanting to be fed again.

As much as I like the little guy in the bed with us, I'd prefer to sleep with my wife alone and somehow get a full night's sleep. I worry that we screwed up and our going to have to deal with this guy in our bed for a very long time.

Any advice?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Well I think it wasn't until this summer that we reliably got our kids to sleep without rocking them to sleep, they turn 2 this week. Nowadays we can just put them in their beds and they eventually fall asleep. Took longer than I wanted but it's here finally, they where getting too heavy to rock to sleep.

It's not a problem as I see it to have them in the bed when it's needed, still I think I see your problem, he wakes up and wants to be fed, I think that's the problem, he's gotten too used to feeding at night. I would try and feed him a big meal before going to sleep at night to help tidy him over until morning. This helped us, we also didn't feed them during the night if they woke up after age 1. Wanted to break the idea that nighttime was for eating.

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009
Maybe this isn't much help, but our boy is 11 months old and sleeps in his own bed every night and has been since he was maybe 3 or 4 months old. Me and my wife figured that he needs to learn to sleep on his own, and it isn't doing any of us any favors when we're 3 people in one bed, what with waking each other up.

What we do now is dinner at 5:30 ish, then a bottle of formula at 7 ish, tuck him in and we don't hear a peep until 6-7ish next morning. So I would agree that your problem is night-feeding. Give him a big meal before bed, and just be consistent with tucking him into his own bed and not caving and moving him to your bed.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
We had trouble moving our daughter in to her own room. My wife ended up sleeping on the floor of her room(small mattress on the floor) for a while, and that seemed to work pretty well.

Definitely get rid of the night feeding though. Doing that was tough for a few nights for us(okay, tougher on my wife than me ;P), but it was well worth it.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Is it normal to end night feedings by 11 months? Or when is the timeframe for that? I thought it was not recommended to end night feedings before a year? Our daughter is in the same boat at 8 months, as opposed to 11.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 8, 2015

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Is it normal to end night feedings by 11 months? Or when is the timeframe for that? I thought it was not recommended to end night feedings before a year? Our daughter is in the same boat at 8 months, as opposed to 11.

Our doctor told us we should try to get rid of the night feeding at 6 months old.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Nora stopped night feeding and sleeping all the way through the night on her own at about 6 or 7 months. She's a year now.

Until the past week. She's awoken twice wanting to be fed. I think it's just her not getting enough at supper time though so we're gonna try to remedy it there.

Speaking of... she will not eat meats at home. Daycare swears she does there, but at home she sticks to just veggies. She'll put the meat in her mouth over and over and suck the juice/flavor off and pull the piece out and put it on the table.

Kind of afraid she's not getting enough protein (although there's no symptoms or anything to really warrant that). We try to give her beans and sometimes she eats them, but she doesn't like the bean casings.

So I'm guessing this is just some sort of aversion to textures phase? Does that go away naturally or are there any tips or tricks we can try?

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Just to commiserate. Neither of our kids had formula. The first slept no more than 4 hours in his crib before wanting to nurse til after 1 year old for sure. Our current 11 month old is worse,sleeping in her crib alone for 2 hours then wanting to be held or nurse. Sometimes I can hold her for a bit and get her back to sleep for a 2nd round. We have a king size bed so she just co-sleeps after midnight.

Oh yeah. The about to turn 3 year old now sleeps in his own toddler bed almost through the night by himself. That probably started after a year and a half. He walks into our room in the middle of the night and I'll walk him back to his bed and tuck him in sometimes. He's pretty good though. I don't think we broke him by co-sleeping.

It does get better.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

notwithoutmyanus posted:

It's probably kid by kid/parent by parent kind of thing once you get past 9 months - googling says different experts say different things but 6 months seems to be earliest. My three eldest children slept through the night from 3 months without any problems or me doing anything to convince them to do so. The youngest woke up several times a night until she was about 20 months and I had to purposefully stop feeding her when she woke up (after a few nights of mild bitching about not getting fed she started sleeping through). I was lucky with the first kids and with the youngest I could have probably tried harder to get her to sleep through earlier but it didn't really bother me enough to go through night weaning until then.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

My daughter woke up for night feedings until she was 15 months. She stopped once we fed her a ton of food before she slept. Like dinner at 5:30 an entire apple or banana at 6:30 and an 8 oz bottle at 7:30. We had to rock her/ breastfeed to sleep until we switched to the night bottle, but were able to transition to placing her bed and hanging out in the room until she fell asleep. We slowly started leaving the room for longer and longer after we put her down, and at around 18 months, we were able to leave right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

When do your (thread in general) kids normally goto sleep and what age? Our kids are usually up 7AM to 22PM with a nap in the middle. I gt the impression a lot of people let their kids sleep longer, but we can't get these kids to sleep except until they want to sleep, which is when they've been awake long enough, i.e. a little before or around 10 in the evening.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Sep 9, 2015