Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

If you've played Go, it helps to think of the game as capturing available area. The moving minis means the captured areas also shift, but it's v helpful in thinking of it this way since placing early stones marks your intentions. Of course, don't get too greedy since the higher PS ships are usually needed to actually capture the area. The early stones are just there to interrupt the opponent's placement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Well the Go Android app always kicks my rear end even on the easy levels but I think I get what you're saying :)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You lose your first hundred Go games ASAP so you can learn how to really play Go. :3: I haven't played regularly in years lol but I've done the practice in x wings.

Also, regarding the core sets, I likely won't buy any from large retailers and wait until they are displayed at LGSs. This is because that I believe that for every core set I buy, I'm taking away the possibility of a new player finding it at target, someone who has never been to an LGS before, and reducing possible players. If they're interested enough they might find out more online and buy their favorite ships or play at the LGS - I just wish FFG had an easily accessible store locator the same way WOTC has. Plus, the damage decks won't be needed for tournaments until FFG says they're mandatory anyway. :3:

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

You lose your first hundred Go games ASAP so you can learn how to really play Go. :3: I haven't played regularly in years lol but I've done the practice in x wings.

Also, regarding the core sets, I likely won't buy any from large retailers and wait until they are displayed at LGSs. This is because that I believe that for every core set I buy, I'm taking away the possibility of a new player finding it at target, someone who has never been to an LGS before, and reducing possible players. If they're interested enough they might find out more online and buy their favorite ships or play at the LGS - I just wish FFG had an easily accessible store locator the same way WOTC has. Plus, the damage decks won't be needed for tournaments until FFG says they're mandatory anyway. :3:

From what I read, the new damage deck is mandatory to use if you own it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Right, and for tournament purposes you can still use the old ones until FFG makes it mandatory for everyone. I don't have the new deck after all.

I assume they'll require it for worlds but, say, requiring it for the nova open (which starts today, and the main championship starts on Saturday) when the products come out on Friday is less reasonable.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Any idea what is going to be new in the new damage deck?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

waah posted:

Any idea what is going to be new in the new damage deck?

Yeah, a few pages back someone posted pictures of various cards. It looks like it's mostly the same, still the same number of Direct Hits and still a lot of the old crits, but a few have been replaced by newer ones. For example the one that causes you to discard a secondary weapon is no longer in there, there's one that keeps you from moving in a straight line for one turn, one that makes all your white movement give you stress, etc.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Are "First Order" and "Resistance" going to be new factions, or are they subgroups of the Empire and the Rebellion? I'm hoping it's the latter, it'd kinda suck to have to not run anything in the base set with anything else for a while...

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Keiya posted:

Are "First Order" and "Resistance" going to be new factions, or are they subgroups of the Empire and the Rebellion? I'm hoping it's the latter, it'd kinda suck to have to not run anything in the base set with anything else for a while...

They're subgroups. Someone posted a pic a while back, but I'm not sure which page.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Unless this new movie is going to have a space battle with shitloads of new spaceships in it I think it'd be practically impossible to make the Resistance and First Order into full-fledged factions of their own anyway. There simply isn't the wealth of EU stuff to draw on the way they have for the main three factions, let alone movies (A-Wings, B-Wings, and Interceptors didn't even appear until Return of the Jedi, for instance).

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Kai Tave posted:

Unless this new movie is going to have a space battle with shitloads of new spaceships in it I think it'd be practically impossible to make the Resistance and First Order into full-fledged factions of their own anyway. There simply isn't the wealth of EU stuff to draw on the way they have for the main three factions, let alone movies (A-Wings, B-Wings, and Interceptors didn't even appear until Return of the Jedi, for instance).

It will absolutely have a space battle with new spaceships in it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

jassi007 posted:

Yeah no poo poo. Is it gonna have enough new spaceships to comprise two whole new playable factions with enough options so they don't get thoroughly outclassed by the existing three, the smallest of which currently has nine ships with two more on the way by the end of the year? I'm expecting to see plenty of X-Wing on TIE Fighter action since going by previews Episode 7 is "Remember all that stuff you loved about the first Star Wars: the Movie," but spontaneously generating enough new ships to create two entirely new and distinct playable wargame factions is asking a lot of a single movie, I think.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

they arent new factions so who gives a gently caress op

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
So I got a game in last night (and hopefully a few more today) with an oddball scum list:

Kavil w/ VI, EU, Autoblaster Turret, and Unhinged

N'dru w/ Glitterstim, Cluster Missiles, and Lone Wolf

Guri w/ PtL, Adv Sensors, Autothrusters, Virago, and Inertial Dampers

Kavil was a beast, being able to boost around let him pull the shields off Vader (and later kill him) and damage an Interceptor. He managed to live with a couple hull at the end of the game.

N'dru did nothing, but managed to evade where it counted and lived.

Guri actually caused big roadblock issues and tanked a ton of shots, only took a couple damage total, and finished off the Interceptor at the end of the day.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

jassi007 posted:

what about light saber fights? do you think it will have light saber fights?

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Gate posted:

So I got a game in last night (and hopefully a few more today) with an oddball scum list:

Kavil w/ VI, EU, Autoblaster Turret, and Unhinged

N'dru w/ Glitterstim, Cluster Missiles, and Lone Wolf

Guri w/ PtL, Adv Sensors, Autothrusters, Virago, and Inertial Dampers

Kavil was a beast, being able to boost around let him pull the shields off Vader (and later kill him) and damage an Interceptor. He managed to live with a couple hull at the end of the game.

N'dru did nothing, but managed to evade where it counted and lived.

Guri actually caused big roadblock issues and tanked a ton of shots, only took a couple damage total, and finished off the Interceptor at the end of the day.

Guri is my main bitch atm

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Just played my first game of this and I'm hooked. I think it's the movement system, it's constantly engaging and captures the 'controlled chaos' of a dogfight, it's very elegant.

I'm going to have to get both Rebel and Imperial factions until I find a club to play at, what are some good starter ships to get for each side? I'm looking for ships without too many special rules and that aren't too expensive. Along with the starter set I already have a Y-Wing just because I love that ship.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Vitamin P posted:

Just played my first game of this and I'm hooked. I think it's the movement system, it's constantly engaging and captures the 'controlled chaos' of a dogfight, it's very elegant.

I'm going to have to get both Rebel and Imperial factions until I find a club to play at, what are some good starter ships to get for each side? I'm looking for ships without too many special rules and that aren't too expensive. Along with the starter set I already have a Y-Wing just because I love that ship.

buying a second core set will get you 2 x-wings and 4 TIEs total, plus 6 attack and defence dice, which you really end up needing. Then probably get the rebel and imperial aces pack and see what you dig flying. But you may as well give in now because you're going to be buying a lot more ships in about a week.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Vitamin P posted:

- Extra X-Wing, extra TIE-Fighter, for pilots and upgrades.
- TIE Advanced / TIE Interceptor, to fill out Imperial
- Y-Wing, A-Wing/B-Wing, fill out Rebel side.

If you buy all of the above you'll probably need more Imperial ships, but they get more advanced quick (bombs on TIE bomber, stealth on TIE phantom).

Buying MF / Slave 1 is usually a good beginner set as well. Rebel / Imperial Aces packs as well.

Welcome to giving a shitload of money to FFG in exchange for tiny plastic ships! I think I mentioned like $120 of ships alone in the above for a good 'starter pack' for both sides.

Irom posted:

buying a second core set will get you 2 x-wings and 4 TIEs total, plus 6 attack and defence dice, which you really end up needing. Then probably get the rebel and imperial aces pack and see what you dig flying. But you may as well give in now because you're going to be buying a lot more ships in about a week.

Edit - this is probably your best bet. Also, if you want to wait a week or two, buy a NEW core set with the Force Awakens ships. You'll get 1x new X-Wing and 2x new TIE-Fighters, but they are the newer slightly-higher costed new editions of either ships (which means the pilots not inter changable with the old ships) but ~WITH KICKIN RAD NEW SPACE-FUTURE (SET IN THE PAST) PAINT JERBS OMGZ~

jeeves fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 3, 2015

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009
Is the new Core set coming out or not?

Has there actually been any confirmed announcement or are we assuming that because Target threw some on some shelves that they will be made publicly avialable? Nothing that I have seen in this thread suggests anything concrete about the release and god knows none of the shops near me (toronto) have yet to even suggested a new X-wing outside of wing 7.

Continually, has anyone here actually got hold of one? I have not seen any posted on ebay for sale, and to assume someone wouldn't see an opportunity to sell a pre-release core set to a desperate nerd for exponentially more then purchase value is unbelievable.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

They're gonna be there.

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009
I know they are going to be there, but they also closed all the Targets in Canada so that means nothing to me. Unless someone is willing to send me one.

I will have to wait till it shows up in a local game store.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There is a new set coming out. It's not a pre-release, and the FLGS owner on the other side of town got notice that there'd be new FFG stuff to order tomorrow.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
So I found this website.
http://brickseek.com/target-inventory-checker
I put in my zip code and the DCPI code from that screenshot (087-10-1337), and all the stores around me say they have 12 each.

It also looks like Amazon is matching the Target deal for $10 off $50 and $25 off $100 on Star Wars stuff. If the new wangs show up there, you can get a deal there too.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Dang, there are 11 at my local target. I'll wait the few days to get it at my local shop (also, I need to work early tomarrow so I don't want to stay up past midnight anyway), but the idea is tempting.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Haha the entire staff of my local store is in line. Guess that means they aren't getting any in lol

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I was thinking of going to Toys r us tonight but its humid as hell and the thought of humid weather mixing with nerd BO isn't very appealing.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I was planning on waiting until my game store got some in regardless but with as little luck as I've had actually playing a dang game lately I might as well hold off on spending even more money on stuff I probably won't be able to do anything with.

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009

canyoneer posted:

So I found this website.
http://brickseek.com/target-inventory-checker
I put in my zip code and the DCPI code from that screenshot (087-10-1337), and all the stores around me say they have 12 each.

It also looks like Amazon is matching the Target deal for $10 off $50 and $25 off $100 on Star Wars stuff. If the new wangs show up there, you can get a deal there too.

By you found do you mean you pulled it off reddit?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Welp, I snagged one. There was maybe 7 out by the time I got there and it turned into 4 by the time I actually grabbed mine. A little light on the upgrade cards but goddamn the ships are so pretty and good that I don't even care that much.

EDIT: Holy motherfucking poo poo, Omega Ace+PTL is scary. :stare:

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 4, 2015

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Biaga posted:

By you found do you mean you pulled it off reddit?

Don't you dare question my google searching young man

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/9/4/man-your-ships/

FFG posted:

Force Friday Release

The Force Awakens Core Set is now available as a special Force Friday release!

While The Force Awakens Core Set is currently only available at select Force Friday locations, it is now shipping for wider release, and you can look for it at your favorite local gaming store later this month.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Hey... if I get the new set, does anyone have extra copies of the unique character cards and stuff from the old one I could talk out of them for the cost of a letter?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Keiya posted:

Hey... if I get the new set, does anyone have extra copies of the unique character cards and stuff from the old one I could talk out of them for the cost of a letter?

You can't use the pilot cards for the old X-Wing and old TIE Fighter with the new X-Wing and new TIE-Fighter. They're separate ships.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
So, I trialled Wes/Wedge/Etahn for a few games against my usual opponent as practise for our tournament Monday, and came to the conclusion he's still not worth it, to my dismay.

As a trial, I replaced him with Dutch/TLT/R2, who fulfills the same 'role' (empower the Wedge shot further, in this case by handing off TL) for the list, but happens to be a lot more durable, and the TLT gives guaranteed 'plink' damage turn to turn as it finishes off wounded birds. The whole list performed much better, and I'm probably going to run that on Monday. Really disappointing, because I really hoped it'd give a good functional use for Etahn, but that 2 Hull is just murderous to a ship that costs so many points.

He's going to run an almost identical concept list based on Scum, using Talonbane/Graz/Kavil, so it made for some really neat little duels.

I do have 5 points 'floating' as a result; I'm actually tempted to take a Proton Bomb on Dutch, or 2 Seismic Charges just to curveball people.

Squad Builder posted:

Wes Janson (31)
X-Wing (29), R2 Astromech (1), Veteran Instincts (1)

Wedge Antilles (34)
X-Wing (29), R2 Astromech (1), Opportunist (4)

“Dutch” Vander (34)
Y-Wing (23), R2 Astromech (1), Bomb Loadout (0), Seismic Charge (2), Extra Munitions (2), Twin Laser Turret (6)

Side thought - Ion Bombs? Double Ion for big ships, doesn't do damage but potentially two turns of predictable movement.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Sep 4, 2015

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Ion bombs will still only make one turn of predictive movement. After doing their 1-forward they remove all ion tokens.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Got my core set at target. It's me, the consumerist whore. I'll get my second through the local store at least.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So there was a huge neckbeard at target this morning who had like the entire black series toys in his cart. Oh well.

Managed to get some Kylo Ren figs and Poe's x-wing though. Apparently they are going for enough on eBay that it can subsidize my entire purchase today lol. My little cousins had better enjoy the Kylo Rens and speeder things I'm getting them. They're worth at least double. :3: there were 6/12 core sets left and depending on if my friend here wants in on the game or not I might get it. I can't imagine there's enough demand for them that they'll go for ridiculous prices online but we nerds are dumb with disposable income so :shrug:

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Floppychop posted:

Ion bombs will still only make one turn of predictive movement. After doing their 1-forward they remove all ion tokens.

I'd have two bombs, not making an assumption about the Ion tokens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Put a Proton Torpedo on Wedge. Five Opportunist dice at range 3 modified by focus, loving your opponent out of not just one, but two defense dice.

• Locked thread