Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Apparently the Herald is pretty accurate about Williamson's performance*, although it left out that he was calling out specific senior officials that were in attendance as dickheads and assholes. He was apparently a very good presenter technically, he just wildly misjudged the professional level of the conference - "it seemed like he thought that there are bunch of junkies in the audience" - but he was still getting a lot of cheers and applause despite some people being obviously offended.

Disappointed there's not much more to come out given that it means Key's response of "I don't know, I don't care" won't be characteristically tested by escalating details.

*as of the page viewed 4:22 which will have since and continue to be silently edited and changed at editorial whim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Robo Captain posted:

I hope you like silver ferns.

RNZAF has been using the new flag for years
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/the-flag-debate/71710031/air-force-unit-has-been-wearing-one-of-final-four-flags-for-years

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Oh yeah enjoy paying for a new Driver's License and Passport if the flag changes.

Look at this scrub who can actually get a passport.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
I seriously doubt a new flag means everyone having to buy new passports

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

truther posted:

I seriously doubt a new flag means everyone having to buy new passports

It's National

You don't think they'd take any opportunity to gently caress people?

Cmon son.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
lmao you're a mentalist if you think they'll make you buy a new passport and poo poo like that. Those things get replaced as they expire.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

puchu posted:

lmao you're a mentalist if you think they'll make you buy a new passport and poo poo like that. Those things get replaced as they expire.

I'm a bad TV show.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
the passport already has a fern on the front

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Passports don't even have the flag on them in the first place.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Ghostlight posted:

Passports don't even have the flag on them in the first place.

Wrongo nerdlinger, check what the honkey is holding on the front

Check mate atheists

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Who the gently caress is Kyle Lockwood by the way? I see people refer all the time to "the Kyle Lockwood designed flag", or " Kyle Lockwood's designs", but as far as I can tell he's only searchable on Google because of the flags.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
a better architect than he is flag designer, hopefully.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Oh yeah enjoy paying for a new Driver's License and Passport if the flag changes.

The passport is already the silver fern. Our current flag isn't really one that can be used in a way to look good on IDs and stuff.

And yeah, they'd be phased out slowly. It's not like every time they change the currency the old one instantly becomes unusable. (Right?)

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Exclamation Marx posted:

a better architect than he is flag designer, hopefully.

i assume he's really into brutalism

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
Brutalism is the only modern style of architecture that goons know

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

puchu posted:

Brutalism is the only modern style of architecture that goons know
Hey, we've still got more style than Kyle Lockwood.

Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

Holy gently caress, the latest Hosking video on the refugee crisis: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=11507497

In short, he's asking where the money is going to come from, since it costs $60 million per year for the current 750 refugee quota we have, and then asks if it should come from health funding, or the christchurch rebuild.

Guess what dickhead, maybe it could come from not constantly giving MP's pay rises, not spending $26 million on the flag change poo poo heap, not spending money on Saudi sheep deals, not paying $30m to keep the aluminium smelter open, or not cutting taxes all the time.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
I don't even have a television passport!

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Binkenstein posted:

Holy gently caress, the latest Hosking video on the refugee crisis: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=11507497

In short, he's asking where the money is going to come from, since it costs $60 million per year for the current 750 refugee quota we have, and then asks if it should come from health funding, or the christchurch rebuild.

Guess what dickhead, maybe it could come from not constantly giving MP's pay rises, not spending $26 million on the flag change poo poo heap, not spending money on Saudi sheep deals, not paying $30m to keep the aluminium smelter open, or not cutting taxes all the time.

Maybe we could get the money from all that free trade we'll be doing once the TPP comes into effect. After all, that was Hoskings' answer to the issue of increased Pharmac costs.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Binkenstein posted:

We could just do what Australia did and imprison people working at refugee camps who speak out about their fellow workers raping or abusing refugees.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
I have a friend whose brother works at the centre. When I was talking about the gag order on reporting sexual abuse I was told 'you don't know anything, it's to stop the detention center getting a bad name. People go out of their way to make it look worse than it really is.'

This is someone who goes on massive rants about inequality and social injustice. I guess when family is involved it's different.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It's really easy to talk about inequality and social injustice without confronting your own contributions to it. In fact, being extremely vocal about it is one of the easiest ways of mentally excusing yourself from responsibility for it.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

truther posted:

it's to stop the detention center getting a bad name

lmao

yeah reporting sexual, physical and mental abuse is bad because it makes the place you work look bad.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Binkenstein posted:

David Shearer put a post up on Facebook last night about how in the long term refugees actually contribute a lot more to NZ than we spend on resettling them here. So maybe we should look at the extra money spent on helping these people as an investment which will pay off in the future. Kind of like a rental property in Auckland.
Or we can pretend we aren't run by sociopaths for a few minutes and do something to help because it is the right thing to do.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
A new recruitment ad for the New Zealand Defence Force produced by Saatchi & Saatchi. Coming soon to a tv near you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoae_TvfFlk

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

When did it become a debating point as to whether [insert government activity] was profitable or not? Like, when did it become mandatory that everything the government does needs to be somehow fiscally beneficial or not run at a loss or whatever? The purpose of government isn't to make money so I don't really understand why there's this expectation that it should make some sort of profit.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Slavvy posted:

When did it become a debating point as to whether [insert government activity] was profitable or not? Like, when did it become mandatory that everything the government does needs to be somehow fiscally beneficial or not run at a loss or whatever? The purpose of government isn't to make money so I don't really understand why there's this expectation that it should make some sort of profit.

Its funny when you think that this is the attitude of National voters, when National have done such a poor job financially

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Slavvy posted:

When its policies started being bought by businesses.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

You fucker, I just ate.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS

victorious posted:

A new recruitment ad for the New Zealand Defence Force produced by Saatchi & Saatchi. Coming soon to a tv near you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoae_TvfFlk
Features rugby

Triggered

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Slavvy posted:

NATIONAL ARE THE FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY PARTY!

WHAT DO YOU MEAN WE HAD A SURPLUS NOW WE DON'T?

LALALALALA

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I think you'll find the reason we no longer have a surplus is because unsustainable Labour spending poliFFFFAAAAAAAARRRRRRTTTTTT

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Everything I've learned about politics and stuff since I started noticing/caring has led me to the conclusion that democracy is just as big a piece of poo poo as every other political system ever devised, it's just the latest flavour of poo poo.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Slavvy posted:

Everything I've learned about politics and stuff since I started noticing/caring has led me to the conclusion that democracy is just as big a piece of poo poo as every other political system ever devised, it's just the latest flavour of poo poo.

Correct.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

"Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time."

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Slavvy posted:

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried."

^ Aw gently caress off mate :argh:

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

victorious posted:

Kiwis love helping.
Except when it might cost something.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

That No 8 wire's expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Ghostlight posted:

"Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time."

That's only because we haven't tried benevolent machine dictatorship yet.

• Locked thread