Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
I started listening to Hollywood Handbook while falling asleep, and now I'm a high-powered Hollywood exec IRL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i hadn't heard the mike still episode of hollywood handbook and that was a huge mistake

cause it's great

best podcast

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I clicked on that Question of the Day thing to see how many downloads it was getting on soundcloud (I was expecting like a thousand) but apparently it's like top of the iTunes podcast charts???

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I think one of the dudes wrote Freakanomics... Or something? I dunno. That podcast just sounded like the 5,000th podcast incarnation of Nerdy White Dudes Make Learning Fun!

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Those charts go by total downloads not downloads per episode so shows that are more than one episode per week do well. It's why Adam Carollo did so well.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

This was a wonderfully strange ep of I4H. Those 2 ladies together make for a hilariously weird energy.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Has anybody else tried listening to Question of the Day? It's... awful. The first episode is spent questioning why anybody would choose to work a 9-5 salaried job. These guys are so far removed from the reality of everyday life for the average person and have no clue.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BobTheCow posted:

Has anybody else tried listening to Question of the Day? It's... awful. The first episode is spent questioning why anybody would choose to work a 9-5 salaried job. These guys are so far removed from the reality of everyday life for the average person and have no clue.

Haha what? That's the craziest thing I can imagine for a podcast. Was it like, at least an attempt at a genuine talk about the problems that 9-5 jobs can cause like hurting your social life often including family and other very important aspects, or a sedentary lifestyle being harmful or whatever, or was it literally just 'actual jobs whaaaaaaaa why would you do that'?

e: Oh, it's Freakanomics and

quote:

James Altucher is an American hedge fund manager, entrepreneur, bestselling author, and podcaster.[1] He has founded or cofounded over 20 companies, including Reset Inc. and StockPickr and claims to have failed at 17 of them.[2][3][4] He has published 11 books, and is a frequent contributor to publications including The Financial Times, TheStreet.com, TechCrunch, Seeking Alpha, Thought Catalog, and The Huffington Post.[5][6][7] USA Today named his book "Choose Yourself" among the 12 Best Business Books of All Time.[8]

That explains it.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 4, 2015

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
I can't imagine spending ten minutes listening to these nasally fuckers. The commercials that have popped up in podcasts I enjoy have been too much as is.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Haha what? That's the craziest thing I can imagine for a podcast. Was it like, at least an attempt at a genuine talk about the problems that 9-5 jobs can cause like hurting your social life often including family and other very important aspects, or a sedentary lifestyle being harmful or whatever, or was it literally just 'actual jobs whaaaaaaaa why would you do that'?

That explains it.

Sorry, I actually managed to phrase it even less condescendingly than their chosen question: Why are so many people content to work a 9-to-6 job?

:crossarms:

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

That explains it.

That guy definitely wrote his own Wikipedia page

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Their podcast reminds me of Sean Clements saying "Mmmmmm.... Seth Godin's Start-Up School!" out of nowhere on a recent ep.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Has anyone else tried out John Gabrus' podcast? I just listened to the Eugene Cordero episode and it was okay. It features alot of Improv4Humans people but its mostly just John shooting the poo poo.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

e: Oh, it's Freakanomics

Freakingnomics

quote:

He has founded or cofounded over 20 companies

A BMW, a Porsche, a Monster Truck a house and Over 20 Companies

GoutPatrol posted:

Has anyone else tried out John Gabrus' podcast? I just listened to the Eugene Cordero episode and it was okay. It features alot of Improv4Humans people but its mostly just John shooting the poo poo.

I listened to the Taco Bell episode with Betsy Sodaro (and someone I haven't heard of) today and I loved it. I loved it so much I went and got a straight-up gross Taco Bell dinner right after leaving my 9-5 job. I don't know what my favorite part was, his story about getting a super specific Taco Bell order with his friend and having the cashier laugh at them, his admission that he smokes "another" joint every time he gets ready to eat Taco Bell, or the aside about "I feel gross today because I made 50 chicken wings last night..."

Though as much as it made me laugh please treat yourself right, Gabrus, c'mon.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Yeah I love Gabrus podcast, I recommend the second ep where they talk/riff about Predator

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Is that a howl exclusive?

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

cams posted:

Is that a howl exclusive?

Nope. It's on Jake and Amir's new podcast network.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Yeah I like Gabrus's podcast too. He's just a funny dude.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Blackout Drunk is a live show Gabrus has done many times at UCB. You can watch him be himself while over the course of about 45 minutes he polishes off a case of beer.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Gabrus' episode of Don't Get Me Started, where he talks about his love of rugby, is also a great listen.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Agreeing that Gabrus is someone who just speaks and says funny things all the time. His personality and humility are chill to listen to too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Listening to Gabrus and enjoying, but holy hell I will go to LA and strangle him unless he stops saying backslash when he means slash when reading out web addresses.

It's never backslash. Remove the word from your dictionary unless you live your life in a terminal window.

Marketed Gum
Jun 26, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Listening to Gabrus and enjoying, but holy hell I will go to LA and strangle him unless he stops saying backslash when he means slash when reading out web addresses.

It's never backslash. Remove the word from your dictionary unless you live your life in a terminal window.

cool post

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's a bugbear of mine because you hear it all the time and it's always wrong. Like people saying 'literally' incorrectly. This is a backslash - \ - it's almost never needed in day to day computer stuff. Whenever you hear people make up web addresses on the spot for a joke, they always say backslash. I have no idea why, maybe it's just fun to say? Like nails on a chalkboard.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Backslash. Backslash. Backslash.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I download entire websites and browse them in Windows Explorer.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Poopy Palpy posted:

I download entire websites and browse them in Windows Explorer.

If it wasn't for the Windows part, I'd accuse you of being Richard Stallman (a crazy person who does exactly this).

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's a bugbear of mine because you hear it all the time and it's always wrong. Like people saying 'literally' incorrectly. This is a backslash - \ - it's almost never needed in day to day computer stuff. Whenever you hear people make up web addresses on the spot for a joke, they always say backslash. I have no idea why, maybe it's just fun to say? Like nails on a chalkboard.

You're a fuckin nerd.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
this is literally the dumbest thing I've ever heard

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Eh everyone has dumb poo poo that irritates them, that's just one of mine.

Believe it or not I don't care enough that I'm actually going to travel halfway around the world to strangle someone over it, I'm just being a dick.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Tweet at the man

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

There's an Actual Web Development Podcast that I had to stop listening to because the guy said "front slash" instead of "forward slash". gently caress that slurp.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
"Forward slash" is dumb too. Just say "slash"!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

well I for one am happy to be reading this conversation on forums dot something awful dot com guitar player for GnR forumdisplay.php?forumid=255

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Jon Gabrus totally seems like a dude who would give a poo poo if told he was using backslash incorrectly.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
i like when people pronounce slash like "slaysh"

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

The Berzerker posted:

well I for one am happy to be reading this conversation on forums dot something awful dot com buckethead forumdisplay.php?forumid=255

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Jon Gabrus totally seems like a dude who would give a poo poo if told he was using backslash incorrectly.

I'm considering telling him I'm being internet bullied over the whole thing just to enjoy the reaction, if it got one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Golden Bee posted:

Tweet at the man

Ah gently caress it, enjoy my humiliation while I sleep (if it happens).

https://twitter.com/chadmuskehound/status/640696453418123264