Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

my dad posted:

It's worth noting that the "high elves" aren't the default ones in the setting. The Dark Eldar are basically the real Eldar society, fairly similar to what it was around the time Slaanesh was born, and the 'regular' Eldar are basically space Puritans living on space Mayflower(s).

As a side note, the Dark Eldar are mostly alive because they were in the Eldar equivalent of British Hong Kong, far enough away from the heart of their empire that when it all exploded they 1. didn't 2. still had easy trade access to most of the far-reaching corners of the universe so they could keep on basically same as before only with a dramatically smaller army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

biosterous posted:

If Eldar are basically space elves (superiour arrogant dickheads who think they know better than everyone), what are Dark Eldar? Are they basically space drow, or do they go in a completely different direction?

(more loreposts tia)

They're starting to carve out their own niche now - I'd consider them space vampires. Essentially they're understandably very afraid of dying and do weird, unsettling things to unnaturally prolong their lives, aesthetically some of them are pale space goths but some have moved onto body horror poo poo with grosteque body mods, surgically-attached drug tanks and whatever. Either way, younger Deldar can regenerate/rejuvinate by harvesting psychic agony from a victim but the process loses its edge over the eons so some of the older ones become withered but powerful and may join the ranks of the haemonculi as ancients, a thing similar in idea to a council of ancient nosferatu-esque vampires who have mastered the dark science of their species. Between all that they're still major hedonists as a society and they fly under the chaos radar by suppressing their innate psychic abilities - it's so atrophied there's not a shred of talent left.

Night10194 is right in that underneath it all they're eldar that didn't learn a drat thing since they're still as vile and debauched as before - it's noon the day after the party ended but they still think they can keep it going.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Dark Eldar have death insurance; they leave a bit of themselves with a haemonculous (super creepy mad scientist types) who keep ready to go clones that will receive their soul if they somehow bite it.

They're also totally ridiculous, even beyond 40k standards. Lelith Hesperax's hair counts as a power weapon.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Yeah, the Dark Eldar live in the Webway and basically go on pirate raids for captives and loot. And apparently stars, which they can steal or something, no idea how that works.

Incidentally, their capital/home base has been found and attacked before by the Salamanders chapter of the Space Marines. So theoretically its location is known to at least one part of the Imperium. Not too sure why they don't just round up a battle fleet and launch a few Cyclonic Torpedoes into their backyard, but I guess the powers-that-be have bigger problems. Or maybe the Webway is an ever-shifting labyrinth deal, and the Salamanders just got lucky the first time.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

EggsAisle posted:

Or maybe the Webway is an ever-shifting labyrinth deal, and the Salamanders just got lucky the first time.

They got in because the guy in charge of the "city" needed a convenient way to remove a rival and his entire power structure, and what's more convenient than a bunch of space marines obsessed with fire?

Incidentally, the Salamanders are (along with the Lamenters) my favorite Space Marine chapter. The first chapter I made in Chapter Master was basically the Salamanders with bits of red on their armor, and I didn't even realize it until after I was done creating them.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

CommissarMega posted:

That reminds me- have there been any non-Goto depictions of Chaos Eldar? What happens if one of them go full-Khorne, are their souls protected?

I can only think of a few, and most of those are from the early days of 40K, where straaaange things happened (Meh'Lindi should ring a bell for a few folks), and the Eldar were basically the embodiment of All According To Plan (Worse than Tzeentch). The only others I know of are from Dan Abnett's stuff, where he's mostly alright with Eldar... The first book in the Gaunt's Ghosts series, for example, has Eldar, and they're not treated badly as far as I can tell. Eisenhorn was noted to have worked with at least one (unnamed) Farseer, but apart from that... Not a whole lot that I'm aware of.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Question: Is Shas'O his name or his title?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mzbundifund posted:

Title. It means commander.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Mzbundifund posted:

Yes.

Welcome to the Greater Good: you are mostly addressed by your first name, which is your title, which is your rank and caste. Your second name, which is yours, is typically one of the virtues of the Greater Good or the planet you came from if you're an off-worlder.

Tau society doesn't really do individuality.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ze Pollack posted:

To be fair, neither does anyone else in 40k.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ze Pollack posted:

Yes.

Welcome to the Greater Good: you are mostly addressed by your first name, which is your title, which is your rank and caste. Your second name, which is yours, is typically one of the virtues of the Greater Good or the planet you came from if you're an off-worlder.

Well, many Tau do eventually earn a nickname. Commanders Shadowsun and Farsight to name two of the best known examples.

Then again Farsight is leading a Tau rebellion against the Ethereal caste and goes into battle alongside the Seven Space Samurai.

ProZocK
Apr 22, 2013
Here, to make up for dicing you, multiple times, have some nice, calm text.

Night10194 posted:

Deploying Gregory for his quest is our number 1 priority.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So I got to capture the 3 strategic points and now it's "Hold them for 10 minutes"

I'm thinking I just scrap my Dreadnoughts and send in the titan to nuke the Avatar of Khaine.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Onmi posted:

So I got to capture the 3 strategic points and now it's "Hold them for 10 minutes"

I'm thinking I just scrap my Dreadnoughts and send in the titan to nuke the Avatar of Khaine.

Oooooor, you could revenge yourself upon the Eldar by letting them take back one of their strategic points and then demolishing every single building and unit the have. Total annihilation counts a victory condition!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Blind Sally posted:

Oooooor, you could revenge yourself upon the Eldar by letting them take back one of their strategic points and then demolishing every single building and unit the have. Total annihilation counts a victory condition!

It is possible to ignore the strategic points altogether and walk into the main base to destroy everything. I've done it. It's hard and you'll probably lose your entire army two or three times doing it, but it is possible.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mzbundifund posted:

Shas denotes his Caste, Fire. 'O denotes his rank, roughly translated to "Commander" (although every caste has the same ranks; Por'O would be a great Water caste diplomat.) Kais is his personal name. Informally he would be referred to by rank and personal name, O'Kais. In the Fire Warrior game, he was Shas'La Kais and was called La'Kais, the lowest rank of Tau warrior.

Normally, there would be an additional name in between these denoting his planet of birth. Let's look at another famous Kais (it's a really common name in the Fire caste) and see how it all works.

Shas'O Vior'la Shovah Kais Mont'yr, aka Commander O'Shovah, aka Commander Farsight, infamous Tau rebel leader who preaches against the authority of the Aun caste Ethereals and does things like go into close combat using alien weaponry, has a pretty easily decoded name.

Shas - He is of the Fire caste.
'O - he holds the rank of Commander, albeit only in the Farsight Enclaves.
Vior'la - he was born in the Vior'la Sept, a cultural group within the Tau Empire which is located, conveniently, on the planet Vior'la.

Here it gets a bit weird. Tau are generally given one personal name on birth but tend to earn or accumulate them with great deeds.

Shovah - Far-sighted, hence "Commander Farsight." He has a very good sense of strategy and long-term planning.
Kais - "Skilled." Yeah, well, parents are hopeful about their children, aren't they? Note that skill is a far more highly valued talent in a warrior than honor, bravery and all that rot.
Mont'yr - "Blooded." He's seen personal combat. A lot.

He is colloquially and familiarly referred to as "O'Shovah" since that is considered his most remarkable talent, but he was probably born with Kais.

We have no other name for our own O'Kais than his caste, rank and personal name of birth. GW writers also tend to leave out those other bits because they can't be bothered to add them in, so we can't blame Dark Crusade's writers for that one. :v:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
There. loving Space Pansies. Operation: Dead Drop and Lots o Turrets won the day. I almost lost in the last minute, when they knocked one of the points into neutral, thankfully that didn't kill the counter.

Only army left is the Orks. You can't say Taldeer didn't deserve this, I killed the Necrons dead FIRST. She had plenty of time to get off-world.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Cythereal posted:

It is possible to ignore the strategic points altogether and walk into the main base to destroy everything. I've done it. It's hard and you'll probably lose your entire army two or three times doing it, but it is possible.

Three words: Drone Harbinger Swarms.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Normally, there would be an additional name in between these denoting his planet of birth.

He was born on T'au, so his full name would be Shas'o T'au Kais, I believe. Lore-masters confirm?

Sally fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 4, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Blind Sally posted:

Three words: Drone Harbinger Swarms.

I call your drone swarms and raise you an Earthshaker round barrage.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

To be fair to the Dark Eldar the Spirit-stones are a limited resource anyway. They're the solidified tears of Isha the Eldar Goddess of Life and considering she still produces them but has no way to get them to the Eldar they're going to run out one day.

Blind Sally posted:

He was born on T'au, so his full name would be Shas'o T'au Kais, I believe. Lore-masters confirm?

I believe he should have a Mont'yr considering Fire Warrior is a thing he supposedly did. But yes T'au is the correct sept name.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 4, 2015

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Blind Sally posted:

Actually, yes. If we go by him being the same Kais as in Fire Warrior, he would be from T'au.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Lord_Magmar posted:

To be fair to the Dark Eldar the Spirit-stones are a limited resource anyway. They're the solidified tears of Isha the Eldar Goddess of Life and considering she still produces them but has no way to get them to the Eldar they're going to run out one day.

The Eldar can get more, but it requires doing one of the rare genuinely badass things Eldar do - sailing right into the Eye of Chaos, and fighting their way through infinite hordes of demons, all the way to the old Eldar worlds that still exist inside, and grabbing some. This is something they try, and sometimes even succeed in doing.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

my dad posted:

I call your drone swarms and raise you an Earthshaker round barrage.

That's when the humble Stealthsuit team appears to EMP your Basilisks, giving the Harbingers time to Drone Swarm your position. :colbert:

edit: though I'll have to try out the Earthshaker bombardment next time I play as the Imp Guard.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

my dad posted:

They got in because the guy in charge of the "city" needed a convenient way to remove a rival and his entire power structure, and what's more convenient than a bunch of space marines obsessed with fire?

One last thing I should point out is they added a tiny bit more character to Deldar and also mellowed them out a tiny bit. They're still decadent/hedonistic but their society has less emphasis on extreme bdsm and more emphasis on survival of the fittest, the event mentioned here was a Game of Thrones-esque powerplay to create a crisis and feed some rivals to the Salamanders while creating openings to backstab others. There are Deldar mecenary companies that enjoy a bit of co-operation and success in the galaxy and the deldar have an odd couple relationship with other eldar groups - regular eldar are their weird little sister that found God and joined a coven, off-putting yes but they'll still come to their aid since blood is thicker than water. Among other advances deldar dark science worked out how to boost their reproductive rates and their numbers are sustainable, if not glacially increasing. Another poster pointed out dark science can even cheat death in some cases.

Lillith now collect oddities and runs a (mostly) wholesome museum of oddities in her spare time and her hair isn't an AP2 power weapon anymore but it still bizarrely ignores infantry armor.

Of course all this has been built on an empire of immense torture made even worse when some dude at GW heard about poo poo like human centipede and got ideas but thems the breaks.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

You know watching the original DoWs cutscenes, the Eldar "We have something really important to you but we're going to be meaningfully vague about it because gently caress you!" comes right at the end, Macha is begging Gabe not to destroy the Maladictum, saying "You know not what you do!" never once saying "It'll release the demon due to the amount of war here!"

Because one will surely be more loving understood than the other!

Then again in an earlier cutscene Macha continues to speak in riddles after Gabe, who isn't putting up with Eldar poo poo just says, three times, "Stop speaking in riddles and just tell me!"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Onmi posted:

She's talking to a human. Telling him "It will release a demon!" would almost certainly lead to Gabriel destroying the thing in response.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Cythereal posted:

She's talking to a human. Telling him "It will release a demon!" would almost certainly lead to Gabriel destroying the thing in response.

Where as saying "No don't do it! I wont tell you why, just don't!" is so much better.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Onmi posted:

You know watching the original DoWs cutscenes, the Eldar "We have something really important to you but we're going to be meaningfully vague about it because gently caress you!" comes right at the end, Macha is begging Gabe not to destroy the Maladictum, saying "You know not what you do!" never once saying "It'll release the demon due to the amount of war here!"

Then again in an earlier cutscene Macha continues to speak in riddles after Gabe, who isn't putting up with Eldar poo poo just says, three times, "Stop speaking in riddles and just tell me!"

Eldar are every bit as stupid as almost anyone else in 40k.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Onmi posted:

To be fair to Eldar, thats how they speak to each other. They tend to speak in riddles and double meanings a lot, the Eldar themselves understand it just fine because they understand the refrences. Some Eldar just have a hard time understanding that maybe the humans dont understand such simple things as talking like a normal Eldar. I think there was some story where an Eldar really had a hard time speaking plainly to a human. Eldar who actually speak a lot to humans tend to have a better time getting their messages through though even they find speaking in such a simple way to be disgusting.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 4, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Iretep posted:

To be fair to Eldar, thats how they speak to each other. They tend to speak in riddles and double meanings a lot, the Eldar themselves understand it just fine because they understand the refrences. Some Eldar just have a hard time understanding that maybe the humans dont understand such simple things as talking like a normal Eldar. I think there was some story where an Eldar really had a hard time speaking plainly to a human. Eldar who actually speak a lot to humans tend to have a better time getting their messages through though even they find speaking in such a simple way to be disgusting.

In all seriousness, that's how actual communication often breaks down IRL. Two sides both expect that the other side fully understands the implications of what they're saying, and it's very much not the case. It's where the weird ability of offensively blunt people to occasionally make deals everyone else failed to make comes from.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Shas denotes his Caste, Fire. 'O denotes his rank, roughly translated to "Commander" (although every caste has the same ranks; Por'O would be a great Water caste diplomat.) Kais is his personal name. Informally he would be referred to by rank and personal name, O'Kais. In the Fire Warrior game, he was Shas'La Kais and was called La'Kais, the lowest rank of Tau warrior.

We have no other name for our own O'Kais than his caste, rank and personal name of birth. GW writers also tend to leave out those other bits because they can't be bothered to add them in, so we can't blame Dark Crusade's writers for that one. :v:

Interesting, so Shas O'Kais means "Skilled Commander from the Fire Caste", and "Skilled" is his actual name instead of something he became known by later. Thanks!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Report on the Ork Stronghold in Titanium War:

This is so much easier, as the Space Marines you can easily handle each Banner with your Orbital Beacon, just drop Dreadnoughts into the visible areas until they are all blown up, then slowly advance. It's taken me this long into the campaign to realize the power of massed Dreadnoughts.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Iretep posted:

Darmok and Jillard at Tanagra.

Someone doing something boneheaded because someone else didn't tell them the whole story is pretty much the theme for WH40k.

There are 4 Eldar factions, as I recall

Dark, Wild, Crone- and Craftworld

Dark Eldar went "NOPE. We're loving off to the Webway. And we'll pay Slaanesh off with the souls of others." Also Commagh, the sole Dark Eldar city, has 7 suns or so because the Dark Eldar know (or at least, knew) how to pull stars into the Webway.

Craftworld Eldar saw the coming apocalypse, and built their planet sized ships, and drove the hell away from Eldartown before it exploded. Not every Craftworld left in time. Ulthwe is, as I recall, damned. Because it is slowly circling round and falling back into the Eye of Terror.

The Wild Eldar are the inhabitants of a bunch of Eldar who live on remote colonies, so didn't get involved in the whole sex and hedonism thing.
Oh, and they ride raptors. (the dinosaur, not the Chaos jetpack troopers)

Crone wolrd Eldar (And Crone worlds) are Eldar planets WITHIN the Eye of Terror that, because Eldar are bullshit space wizards, are holding off the forces of Chaos.

Edit: I can't remember if Crone Worlds have Eldar on them, or just really sturdy planetary defense systems that keep the Demons off.Either way, they are clear enough of interference to be the best place to get fresh Soulstones. And weapons that put the deadliest Tau and Craftworld Eldar armaments to shame.

For extra Eldar fun - Most Eldar souls risk devourment by Slaanesh, whether Dark or Craftworld. The Harlequinns are another independent faction of Eldar who also live somewhere in the Webway. And work towards the reunification of the surviving Eldar. They serve/worship the Laughing God. Who is baller enough to steal their souls away from Slaanesh.
The Harlequinns probably know more of the Webway than any other group. Sections of it became really dangerous after the whole Eye of Terror thing. ie you go to that part of the Webway, and just plain don't come back.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

There's Eldar Corsairs as well, pretty much exactly eldar rogue traders, and they make up a part of a broader group of eldar known as outcasts. Outcasts are young eldar that are going through their teen rebellious phase and stopped following a path to go out into the stars and be their own man/discover themselves. Usually they wisen up and go back to living with mom and dad their craftworld when this self-responsibility freedom loses its lustre.

Veloxyll posted:

Dark Eldar went "NOPE. We're loving off to the Webway. And we'll pay Slaanesh off with the souls of others." Also Commagh, the sole Dark Eldar city, has 7 suns or so because the Dark Eldar know (or at least, knew) how to pull stars into the Webway.

Deldar used to be eldar that took part in all sorts of devil's bargains and monkey paw wishes to save their own skins but that's outdated, at least as their main MO. Nonetheless tzeentch may be involved in deldar figuring out how to drain victims to cheat death a few more years though, since that pisses off slaanesh.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

And done with the Titanium Wars campaign mode.

Fun bases - Imperial Guard, Tau, Orks
Horrible bases - Necrons, Eldar

If you're good at RTS and Dawn of War, I say go ahead and give the TW campaign a shot, if you're like me and not so good? Skip it. It's a fun mod and it's nice to see a mod mess with the campaign, but it seriously was just an unfun slog for a lot of it. Even the Orks which was generally fun took hours.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

This is Gregory's quest, not O'Kais's. He must be brought in as soon as possible to oversee the conquest.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

On Cegorach taking the souls of his Harlequins when they join this is true for almost all of them. But their is a subset of them who devote themselves to Slaanesh so they can accurately portray Slaanesh in performances without risking their soul. Then upon their death Cegorach goes up to Slaanesh and proposes to play a game for their souls, he doesn't always win but more often than not he does. These are known as Solitaires and as the name suggests roam the Webway alone instead of with a troupe and then join up for performances only. They are also excessively dangerous, in fact they're probably the most dangerous harlequins and possibly the most dangerous non-psyker Eldar in existence.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Sep 4, 2015

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Veloxyll posted:

Darmok and Jillard at Tanagra.

Farseer Macha and Gabriel Angelos, at Tartarus, when the Maledictum broke.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

inscrutable horse posted:

Farseer Macha and Gabriel Angelos, at Tartarus, when the Maledictum broke.

I would've gone for the simpler Macha and Angelos at Tartarus when the Storm arrived.

Since even when it becomes Picard, it's never CAPTAIN Picard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Veloxyll posted:

I would've gone for the simpler Macha and Angelos at Tartarus when the Storm arrived.

Since even when it becomes Picard, it's never CAPTAIN Picard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l741iVKa_Q

Seriously. She gets so close to actually explaining things, and then the old Eldar pride kicks in.

• Locked thread