Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Iserlohn posted:

I was spoiled on cross-dimensional DIO :smith:

But I don't care because it was still really awesome :unsmith:

Same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Your way works too posted:

I think it might legit be the most shocked I have ever been at a twist in fiction. For whatever reason it caught me so off guard.

It's up there with Polnareff's return from Vente Aureo for biggest twist in Jojo.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I really should stop scrolling through this read while only being in the middle of part 6

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I really should stop scrolling through this read while only being in the middle of part 6

You very should.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
I am reading Diamond is Unbreakable.

Josuke is on his way to Morioh Station to meet Jotaro

So far, these stands are outrageous.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
He came into his own with the designs and combat in part 4. Such a nice system of fighting.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I thought the Egyptian God stand battles in Part 3 were mostly pretty good, it was just the Major Arcana arc where alot of them just seemed to be there to fill out the list. Hanged Man and Justice were pretty good fights, but I think overall that part of the story really would have been better served by having less stand battles and more adventures and screwing around on their journey through Asia, one thing I really liked about Part 4 is the chapter like Let's Go Eat Italian or Visions of Cinderella where there's no real stakes and the characters get to do some comedy or interpersonal drama instead

I guess the Egypt arc did did a pretty good job carving a middle ground really, making half the stand battles themselves into skits or comedy of errors

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Thinking back on SBR, Diego really wasn't a bad guy, was he? Sure, he'S kind of ana rrogant rear end, and he's certainly an antagonist because he wants the same thing as the heroes and fights them for it, but he never does anything super villainous until he sacrifices that fangirl, and that's alternate Dio with The World (implying he's closer in personality to original Dio).

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Thinking back on SBR, Diego really wasn't a bad guy, was he? Sure, he'S kind of ana rrogant rear end, and he's certainly an antagonist because he wants the same thing as the heroes and fights them for it, but he never does anything super villainous until he sacrifices that fangirl, and that's alternate Dio with The World (implying he's closer in personality to original Dio).

RIP Wekapipo

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

MonsieurChoc posted:

No he's a horrible rear end in a top hat.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's Dio.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

Without Jonathan's noble spirit and strength to struggle against, Diego never rose to the heights of ambition DIO did. So he's a poo poo, but he never had to go further than that to get what he wanted, so he's just a poo poo.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 3, 2015

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Diego is an rear end in a top hat, but to be fair he's no worse than Johnny.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Diego is what would have happened if kid Dio grew up normally, but also horses

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't think diego would turn himself into a vampire and try to take over the world, so i think that automatically makes him less of an rear end in a top hat than dio

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Can you vampirize dinosaurs? If you can have zombie footballers, you can have undead dinosaurs.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

MonsieurChoc posted:

This was basically my exact attitude reading the story. Diego is pretty normal for a dude involved in the SBR, and it's real weird in story how hostile Johnny acts towards him at first.

I mean, in his backstory there's a rumour he murdered that old rich woman, but it's Dio, so I'd say it's equally likely she died by ripping off her own head because she thought Dio wanted her to.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

SBR is about an emotionally damaged bootstrapping Italian orphan from Victorian "poo poo all over the poor" England and his fights against a minor Naples' aristocrat, an upper class British guy, an evil geologist, and the President.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy

Prison Warden posted:

This was basically my exact attitude reading the story. Diego is pretty normal for a dude involved in the SBR, and it's real weird in story how hostile Johnny acts towards him at first.

I mean, in his backstory there's a rumour he murdered that old rich woman, but it's Dio, so I'd say it's equally likely she died by ripping off her own head because she thought Dio wanted her to.

Don't they have a history together? I thought during the flashback before he gets Tusk Act 2 it shows his dad showing favor to Diego over him, paralleling the relationship in Phantom Blood.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Iserlohn posted:

Don't they have a history together? I thought during the flashback before he gets Tusk Act 2 it shows his dad showing favor to Diego over him, paralleling the relationship in Phantom Blood.

No that's Johnny's older brother who dies when Danny (the pet rat who was released into the wild) scares his horse. Which is just one of those JoJo things that could have turned out to mean something but didn't.

Dio is just another very skilled and popular British jockey.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
True or false, Diego has a reputation.

It's not that surprising fellow jockeys would be wary of him, considering.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

no I'm pretty sure a later flashback shows that Johnny knew Diego already, or at least knew of him

I remember a scene where Johnny looks at Diego from afar

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

setafd posted:

no I'm pretty sure a later flashback shows that Johnny knew Diego already, or at least knew of him

I remember a scene where Johnny looks at Diego from afar

Yeah that happened, Diego was just working at the time, not a jockey I don't think, it was when Johnny was a kid and his brother was doing racing stuff instead

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I was glad when Johnny's dad showed up to say how proud he was

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

So I'm minding my own business on my facebook today when I realized Araki has been trying to warn us about stone men all this time! :dogbutton:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

My only dissapointment with SBR is that there wasn't a Baseball fight. With the Spin, you'd think it was a no-brainer.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

My only dissapointment with SBR is that there wasn't a Baseball fight. With the Spin, you'd think it was a no-brainer.

It'd probably be cricket or something

That and Gyro is Italian

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Aurora posted:

It'd probably be cricket or something

That and Gyro is Italian
Huh, so Shane Warne could use the 「Spin」?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Gyro not knowing the rules would just give him an handicap.

- From Ken Burn's Baseball, first episode, 1h36m44s

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
You'll never defeat my stand, 「Spin Doctor」

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Death Bot posted:

You'll never defeat my stand, 「Spin Doctor」

The Golden Rotation...
https://youtu.be/tb9N0vlUFys

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Phantom Blood is now a legitimately good part of the series since the dub is out and JYB's lovely British accent is front and center

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Say what you will, but JYB has a knack for those DIIIIOOOOOOOOO!s

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I by no means am saying the man is a voice because holy poo poo can he belt out those DIOOOOSSSSSSSS. Seitz's "Useless" is amazing too, like holy poo poo those two had fun.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I really like that numbah one is Joseph's voice

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ben Diskin is a hero

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Caesarino.

Edit: Ben Diskin is a national treasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iDzDgbH4OU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

On the other hand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KNqFhJ6-n0

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They can both be good, we can live in a world where there are multiple good Joseph Joestar voices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baal posted:

They can both be good, we can live in a world where there are multiple good Joseph Joestar voices.

Actually, I demand that a voice actor has to kill the person who previously voiced the role. There can only be one.