Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

MikeJF posted:

She shoulda failed just for that. I mean, the chief engineer? What do you think redshirts are for?

Also starfleet officers seem really keen to sacrifice themselves to save the crew so she failed the sacrifice yourself heroically test

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Somewhere between the movies and TNG, Starfleet replaced the Kobayashi Maru scenario with the "Kill Your Friends" scenario.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I love my fear and death simulator

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Those tests really seem like they're testing for all the wrong qualities in a commanding officer.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Clark Nova posted:

Somewhere between the movies and TNG, Starfleet replaced the Kobayashi Maru scenario with the "Kill Your Friends" scenario.

Kirk would win be re programming the test so that when he orders Scotty to crawl into the warp coil it reacts with all his whiskey in his blood and turns him into a Scottish version of the hulk.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Kitchner posted:

Oh also O'Brien is deeply embarrassed or made a fool of in one all of the traps.

They should have replaced every B plot for the rest of the series with this. Just in the background, traps going off all the time.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

counterfeitsaint posted:

They should have replaced every B plot for the rest of the series with this. Just in the background, traps going off all the time.

And no matter what the trap is, it always, thorough some convoluted series of events, ends up hurting his shoulder.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 3, 2015

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Legit, though, O'Brien is maybe the only character in the TNG-era trek who feels like a regular bloke, y'know? At least he's got normal people problems, like a wife getting posessed by a space ghost or

...well, okay, he has ridiculous problems but he always seems affable and ordinary, and he drinks beer not whatever synthhol nonsense. He and Bashir actually get legit plastered together in the greatest scene in DS9.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
a vegetarian wife who keeps pushing lovely vegetarian dishes on ya' in a world where meat doesn't even come from animals, can't make this poo poo up

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Entropic posted:

I think every series had crazy last minute casting changes. TOS was going to have a woman first officer until the network nixed it, and there's test footage of the Voyager pilot with Janeway played by a french canadian woman who didn't want to be there.

is there a link to this anywhere?

also I <3 Ro Laren (and I totally missed that she was Admiral Cain until it got mentioned a couple pages ago)

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 3, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Moridin920 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SIZcDWKyw0

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 3, 2015

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Brace for impact. If you want. Whatever. :geno:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
They should've made Sigourney Weaver play the captain and have Jodie Foster play one of the archvillains.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

At least she worked to drain every trace of french out of the only french-rooted word in the entire ST universe, 'Maquis'

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Legit, though, O'Brien is maybe the only character in the TNG-era trek who feels like a regular bloke, y'know? At least he's got normal people problems, like a wife getting posessed by a space ghost or

...well, okay, he has ridiculous problems but he always seems affable and ordinary, and he drinks beer not whatever synthhol nonsense. He and Bashir actually get legit plastered together in the greatest scene in DS9.

Cardassian PTSD made a 24th Century person act like a 21st Century person.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

shadow puppet of a posted:

the only french-rooted word in the entire ST universe, 'Maquis'

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

BottledBodhisvata posted:

He and Bashir actually get legit plastered together in the greatest scene in DS9.

BRING ME MY CHARRRIOTS OF FIIIIIIIRE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ali3c7FaQGU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Sisko should've told Eddington "You make a Maquis-ry of the uniform!"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

FrensaGeran posted:

Sisko should've told Eddington "You make a Maquis-ry of the uniform!"

The Maquis should have did that atmosphere thingy to Earth in retaliation.

"Now you are all loving Maquis like us, cunts."

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

happyhippy posted:

If that happened Starfleet would just fix it with some science since they aren't crazy hippies who swore off Utopia in favor of farming REAL TOMATOES on some faraway dirt ball.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

happyhippy posted:

You'd think that if it were that easy to ruin a planet the entire Alpha Quadrant would have been uninhabitable a hundred years ago.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Moridin920 posted:

As for the TOS part, the completed TOS pilot was on Netflix last time I checked, with a mostly different crew and everything. They reused footage of Captain Pike for that other episode where he was in the morse code giant iron lung dealie.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Entropic posted:

You'd think that if it were that easy to ruin a planet the entire Alpha Quadrant would have been uninhabitable a hundred years ago.

For a start there's no way the Cardassians wouldn't have done that to the Bajorans when they overthrew the Cardassians. They'd call it the final solution.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Watched the Farpoint ep on Netflix for the first time since about 2008. I pretty much like everything about it, sorry if you can't enjoy seasons 1 and 2.

We'll see about the vaccine. We'll see.

Riker on the femme v-neck hairspray planet, well, that's going to be great no matter what.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

doctorfrog posted:

Watched the Farpoint ep on Netflix for the first time since about 2008. I pretty much like everything about it, sorry if you can't enjoy seasons 1 and 2.

We'll see about the vaccine. We'll see.

Riker on the femme v-neck hairspray planet, well, that's going to be great no matter what.

You like everything about it? Even Riker without a beard? You sick freak.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

As for the TOS part, the completed TOS pilot was on Netflix last time I checked, with a mostly different crew and everything. They reused footage of Captain Pike for that other episode where he was in the morse code giant iron lung dealie.
I always wondered what the deal was with the pilot being a mixture of B&W and colour. Like I know the colour bits were the parts they reused for the beeping chair episode but did they lose the original film for the pilot at some point after that or what?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

sinking belle posted:

I always wondered what the deal was with the pilot being a mixture of B&W and colour. Like I know the colour bits were the parts they reused for the beeping chair episode but did they lose the original film for the pilot at some point after that or what?

You must've seen an old version. They lost the print for a while and had to intercut what they had from The Menagerie with a black and white workprint, but they found the full-colour version in the late 80s.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

MikeJF posted:

You must've seen an old version. They lost the print for a while and had to intercut what they had from The Menagerie with a black and white workprint, but they found the full-colour version in the late 80s.

I only had a black and white TV until the late 80s, but the first time I ever saw The Cage it was in full color. Except for some reason, I remember the opening shot of the Enterprise and the Bridge in black and white. That might have been part of the Frakes hosted documentary in 88 or 89 when they were getting ready to show the full color version for the first time.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

Gutcruncher posted:

DS9 owns cuz Worf shows up and immediately begins kicking asses and then continues kicking asses for 4 seasons.

Also, half of DS9 was people giving worf poo poo for being a space weeaboo about his own people, which makes it own even more.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Plus him getting called out on massacring villagers in his spare time. Worf is such a perv for his violence and BDSM lifestyle. He had Skull Faced Opponent, that nobody would have minded if he killed by the billions, but no, have to go kill Skull Faced Child and Skull Faced Pregnant Woman and Skull Faced Elderly Double Amputee in Skull Faced Wheelchair so the son of Mogh can get his son of rocks off.

gently caress Worf. I'm almost glad Captain Worf will never happen beyond a failed Kickstarter. Better to have a series starring Captain Reg Barkely or Captain Ayala or Mindfucked Space-Starchild But All Old And Gross Now Returning Academy Dropout Wesley "Mrs. Traveller" Crusher.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Of all the TNG alumni, Wil Wheaton is probably the only one who would actually be capable right now of making an independent fan series that didn't suck completely, but thankfully he's also probably the least likely to want to.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Entropic posted:

Of all the TNG alumni, Wil Wheaton is probably the only one who would actually be capable right now of making an independent fan series that didn't suck completely, but thankfully he's also probably the least likely to want to.

Problem is Wesley Crusher went off to evolve to a higher plane of existence. What a poo poo story.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Kitchner posted:

Problem is Wesley Crusher went off to evolve to a higher plane of existence. What a poo poo story.

actually that was a soul eater and the whole thing was an elaborate ruse to devour his life essence

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

TEAYCHES posted:

actually that was a soul eater and the whole thing was an elaborate ruse to devour his life essence

That would have been a way better ending.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Kitchner posted:

He'd probably be smart enough to play a completely different character and have subtle jabs against the Wesley Crusher character.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Entropic posted:

He'd probably be smart enough to play a completely different character and have subtle jabs against the Wesley Crusher character.

Mirror Universe Wesley Crusher.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Mirror Universe Wesley Crusher.

This is just Wil Wheaton in Big Bang Theory

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Kitchner posted:

This is just Wil Wheaton in Big Bang Theory

HAHA you watch Big Bang Theory.
Get out here fake nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
Wil Wheaton instinctfully makes my skin crawl. There's just something about his gerbil face...his strange rictus grin...desperate eyes

I'm sure he's a nice enough guy but I just find him hard to watch in almost everything he does. I don't even really find Wesley Crusher that annoying so it's not like I dislike him because of that. He does have a very irritatingly smug voice though in real life

• Locked thread