Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zander13
Apr 6, 2011

Coldbird posted:

I posted a review a couple pages ago. Only got half an hour into it and was not at all impressed. Confusing, unfinished feel, poor localization, and a lack of its big selling point (strategy). I didn't bother going very far, it might open up later, but my impression was that it would only get worse.

Thanks, just saved me from spending money. I was tempted to get it but 2.50 is a little much for an app imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Tunga posted:

I need games to play on the tube. For those not familiar with the wonders of the Central Line, it approximates a sardine tin. As such, I need games that are playable in portrait with one hand, not require fast/specific tapping, and something that doesn't result in me dying if I stop looking at it. Hoplite is a good example and I also played a random football management thing a while back. Abstract puzzlers can be okay but I tend to get bored of them if they're just the same mechanic/process over and over.

Basically there are tons of great Android games but 95% of them can only be run in landscape. Find me the 5%.

If you haven't already picked it up, Pixel Dungeon makes my Piccadilly Line commute bearable.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Tunga posted:

I need games to play on the tube. For those not familiar with the wonders of the Central Line, it approximates a sardine tin. As such, I need games that are playable in portrait with one hand, not require fast/specific tapping, and something that doesn't result in me dying if I stop looking at it. Hoplite is a good example and I also played a random football management thing a while back. Abstract puzzlers can be okay but I tend to get bored of them if they're just the same mechanic/process over and over.

Basically there are tons of great Android games but 95% of them can only be run in landscape. Find me the 5%.

I don't know if this is your thing, but all the Dragon Quest ports are designed for portrait with one hand.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Any of you try it Laura Croft Go yet?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Dirk the Average posted:

Contract Whist. It's free and has a lot of variations on the card game Oh Hell. Very fun card game, launches almost instantly, and since it's a card game it all waits on you to take an action. It's my go-to time waster whenever I have a spare 30 seconds.

Here's the link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.qsoft.android.whist

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Norns posted:

Any of you try it Laura Croft Go yet?

Yeah, it's pretty fun. Feels similar to Monument Valley. It's probably very similar to Hitman Go, but I never played that so I can't compare them.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I need an invite to a goon town. I am on the spreadsheet. Do I need to leave the town I am in?

Zander13
Apr 6, 2011

Trastion posted:

I need an invite to a goon town. I am on the spreadsheet. Do I need to leave the town I am in?

No you don't need to leave. Just accept the invite when you get it.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
What shop game is it you are all going on about? Can I play without internet?

Also you should all try Card Crawl. I'm really enjoying it. The unlock felt a little pricey but I keep playing it on my commute!

Zander13
Apr 6, 2011

Lowness 72 posted:

Called shop heroes, and no you cant play without internet.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cloudcade.shopheroes

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
I've been messing around with a couple recent shmup-based F2P's. I'm not really sold on either of them though, doesn't really feel like there's much reason to play one at home when I could play a real shmup on console or PC instead... but as a mobile time-waster on the go maybe they're ok. I dunno, I'm not really sure yet.

Dragon Heroes has you fighting single screens of enemies, Galaga-style, then you fight a boss, lather rinse repeat. So far it feels like it keeps reusing the same enemy patterns and same bosses from stage to stage... I assume it gets harder. There's some other modes like an Arena PvP mode that I haven't unlocked yet and something about a raid mode that was just added. Has all the usual mobile game trappings of drawing random heroes from gachapon, powering up your dudes and scantily-clad ladies, the usual fire/water/wood/light/dark mechanics. You can switch between characters on the fly and summon a friend's character, but the friend system sucks because even though it seems like the game will give you a list of random people to summon before each stage, it's actually telling you to send a friend request to them first before you can actually summon them. Also there's something about guilds I guess.

Elemental Wings is a little weirder - I'm still not entirely sure how it works, because it seems you're always playing the same base game so I don't really know how much variety there is to it, or if there's later things to unlock. You're not expected to survive to the end on your first play, you have to keep playing and powering up your elementals. Speaking of which, to actually do well in the game you have to keep picking up your elemental powerups as they're your primary source of damage on bosses, and the game's all about DPS... you have a lifebar (or "mana bar") that constantly dwindles during play and only regenerates after killing sub-bosses. Taking a hit reduces it of course, and when it empties out, the next hit is game over and the difficulty rises a little as the game starts firing semi-homing bullets at you. Unlike Dragon Heroes, you can't move up and down, you can only move left and right. Also doesn't help that your character's hurtbox feels like it's the entire sprite, which makes it quite unforgiving in terms of dodging stuff. Again, there's modes in the game that don't unlock until you advance in level a bit.

Also both of these games have the exact same problem (at least on my phone) where when the music stops to loop, it stops the game itself for a second and is quite jarring for a shmup-style game. I would highly recommend turning the music off.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Tunga posted:

Two Dots. It adds new mechanics every twenty levels or so and is very one hand friendly.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Real time tactics game Door Kickers has made the leap from PC to Android tablets.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I sent out a handful of Otisburg invites in Shop Heroes, so we'll see who gets the three open spots first. I can add at least one extra slot if needed.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Dirk the Average posted:

Contract Whist. It's free and has a lot of variations on the card game Oh Hell. Very fun card game, launches almost instantly, and since it's a card game it all waits on you to take an action. It's my go-to time waster whenever I have a spare 30 seconds.

lmao any whist game that doesn't include minnesota rules

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

mrkillboy posted:

Real time tactics game Door Kickers has made the leap from PC to Android tablets.

I really enjoyed this on Steam. Will be watching for reviews to see if I should buy again.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Does anybody have the newest apk for Shop Heroes? It's not available in my region and APKPure has an outdated version.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Aethernet posted:

If you haven't already picked it up, Pixel Dungeon makes my Piccadilly Line commute bearable.
Yeah I've played it, not a big fan of Roguelikes but it's nicely made. I used to take the Piccadilly Line. High five tube gaming buddy.

Gann Jerrod posted:

I don't know if this is your thing, but all the Dragon Quest ports are designed for portrait with one hand.
Will check it out, thanks. May be a bit heavy for me.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Two Dots. It adds new mechanics every twenty levels or so and is very one hand friendly.
Yeah, played this a bunch already :)

Dirk the Average posted:

I don't understand any of the words on the Play page for this game and my general attitude to card games on mobile is: meh. I feel like mobile can do better than replicate pieces of paper.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Got space for 2 more in goontown?

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Lowness 72 posted:

Also you should all try Card Crawl. I'm really enjoying it. The unlock felt a little pricey but I keep playing it on my commute!

The single player, not-internet-connected version of Shop Heroes is called Merchant. It strips away all of the graphics bits, basically plays like an Amiga game, but at its core is exactly the same game.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Shop Hero: How do I remove a worker from a slot? What is the best way for a lowbie to contribute to goontown?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
There should be a fire button when you click on a worker directly (might not show up until a certain player level).

Also I think the best thing you can do really depends on how rich you are compared to the rest of the town.

If you can afford to level buildings or at least large chunks of buildings, levelling the town hall, resource buildings, and worker buildings are good ideas. If you're relatively poor, invest your money into workstations, resource bins, and energy furniture so you can make/sell items much faster, and catch up income-wise to everyone else before worrying about the city.

Honestly besides the town hall, nothing in the town is so important that you need to beeline early game so long as you've got your city-wide bonuses rolling all the time.

e: Actually if you're running into items that are running over 2 minutes and your total skill level for those items is less than your workshop cap, then that is the absolute best thing to prioritize until the price gets out of what you could reasonably afford. (For example, my main workbench is currently going to cost me 5 million)

Deki fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 4, 2015

Zarlog
Dec 7, 2005

Zarlog, Protector of Baal
Rebuild is on sale right now

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.com.sarahnorthway.rebuild2

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
re: Door Kickers

beerinator posted:

I really enjoyed this on Steam. Will be watching for reviews to see if I should buy again.

I'm finding issuing commands and moving my guys around fiddly at times because my huge fingers get in the way but otherwise it plays fine. It looks like you can even import a code from the PC or iPad versions to carry on an existing game. Too bad its for tablets only at the moment though, the quick missions and the almost instantaneous load times would really make this a pretty great pick up and play game on a phone (albeit probably one with a large screen).

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 4, 2015

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

vulturesrow posted:

Shop Hero: How do I remove a worker from a slot? What is the best way for a lowbie to contribute to goontown?

For the first one, fire them.

For the second, just contribute where you can. Iron Mines is where I've been dumping my money and the town hall so we can get more people in.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

mrkillboy posted:

Spiritual pixel art platform/adventure game The Deer God is out on Google Play. Anyone who picked up the Android beta of the game that was included in that Humble Bundle a long time ago will also get that version upgraded soon.
If you've got an xbox live account, they're giving it away for free (for xbox one) as well.

mrkillboy posted:

The sequel to zombie apocalypse 4X strategy game Rebuild, Rebuild 3: Gangs of Deadsville is also out, as is the sequel to the Dead Trigger games Unkilled.
How much pay to win or energy-recharge and build waiting is in it?

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 4, 2015

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
None, that's not the kind of game it is, there no IAPs at all.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

coyo7e posted:

How much pay to win or energy-recharge and build waiting is in it?

Rebuild 3 has no pay to win mechanics and you can adjust the time scale. Not sure about the other.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Thanks much for the clear responses. Can I buy hats or something?

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

coyo7e posted:

Thanks much for the clear responses. Can I buy hats or something?

Negative. $5 and you own the game.
Clearly this was from the past.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

My Shop Heroes strategy:

#1. Pick 1 or 2 item types as your 'money makers' to focus on progressing down the tiers. You should only sell these items with a super charge, and only after you have the +25% value upgrade on it.
#2. Pick 1 or 2 extremely common item types as your 'energy makers' and purchase/upgrade racks for them for the bonus energy. Obtain many of the lowest level of these items and use them to farm energy.
#3. Save your crafting slots for your money makers and use the market to purchase your energy makers.

So how it works is you stock up on your energy makers via the market. Tiers 1-2 of each item type generally sell for less than or equal to the value of the item. With the +25% value upgrade learned on the item, you can almost always cut a profit. Every customer who isn't asking for your money maker item type gets suggested to one of these items. With racks, this will build up your energy extremely quick. Then you use your energy to suggest/supercharge your money makers as you make them. If the market is out of your energy maker, warehouse your rack and use a different item that is in stock (racks only cost 250g).

Once you get to level 6-8 this allows you to play indefinitely as your resources are able to replenish while your farthest tiered items are being produced and everything else comes from the market (or a single build slot pumping out tier 1 items for energy). Racks are switched out on the fly depending on the stock you are moving. Basically every customer get's a compliment and a suggestion, and since you don't have to wait for items to build the turnover rate is extremely fast so it gets achievements quickly as well.

Baldbeard fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 4, 2015

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Baldbeard posted:

My Shop Heroes strategy:

#1. Pick 1 or 2 item types as your 'money makers' to focus on progressing down the tiers. You should only sell these items with a super charge, and only after you have the +25% value upgrade on it.
#2. Pick 1 or 2 extremely common item types as your 'energy makers' and purchase/upgrade racks for them for the bonus energy. Obtain many of the lowest level of these items and use them to farm energy.
#3. Save your crafting slots for your money makers and use the market to purchase your energy makers.

So how it works is you stock up on your energy makers via the market. Tiers 1-2 of each item type generally sell for less than or equal to the value of the item. With the +25% value upgrade learned on the item, you can almost always cut a profit. Every customer who isn't asking for your money maker item type gets suggested to one of these items. With racks, this will build up your energy extremely quick. Then you use your energy to suggest/supercharge your money makers as you make them. If the market is out of your energy maker, warehouse your rack and use a different item that is in stock (racks only cost 250g).

Once you get to level 6-8 this allows you to play indefinitely as your resources are able to replenish while your farthest tiered items are being produced and everything else comes from the market (or a single build slot pumping out tier 1 items for energy). Racks are switched out on the fly depending on the stock you are moving. Basically every customer get's a compliment and a suggestion, and since you don't have to wait for items to build the turnover rate is extremely fast so it gets achievements quickly as well.

Alternatively you can always set up racks for your money makers and refund a large part of your energy each time you sell a big ticket item

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
That's the strategy I was using until I hit a little bump. A customer won't ever ask for, nor can you suggest an item 7 levels under him or her. I've got a few guys in 13-16 range, so I can't just make a bunch of knives and shortswords anymore. My current strategy is to work on unlocks and replacing lost items while my guys go adventuring, and sell off excess quest rewards. I think I've sold away a hundred burning embers for 2-3k each. I've got a bunch of guys in the frozen lake right now harvesting ice crystals that are worth around 20k a pop. Items also get costly real fast and make it impossible for you to focus entirely on a couple items. Many of my items cost 30 or 40 of 1-2 T1 resources (Like iron + leather)and 10-15 of a T2 resource (like steel). You end up jumping around your crafting options while your resources regenerate.

The upshot is, you can't ever screw yourself over. Items will pretty much always sell and the resources cost you nothing. Even crafting a ton of low level items to master them is useful, because higher level crafts often call for good quality versions of low level items and you save yourself the annoyance of crafting 40 extra broadswords.

A couple tips that are not obvious:

You can tap the resource icons on the right side to auto-collect from all your bins.
Enable Multi-craft in the options menu. Instead of leaving the item screen each time you go to craft an item, you stay in the screen so you can just jam the button a bunch of times. Very useful when items start requiring 3 copies of a low level item.

Every additional adventurer on a quest increases the power of all adventurers on the quest, regardless of their actual power. So I can send my lvl 16 Theor with 3500 power with 2 undergeared chumps to boost him to 5k and knock out a high level quest. The low level guys will be out of commission for a few hours but if you can't muster a full team of A's for a quest it's a viable method.

Your total storage for items is also your max storage for each quest material. Get yourself up to 50 or so capacity so you can hoard quest items. It really sucks to unlock a new item and find out it takes 3 or 4 of something you haven't stockpiled (I'm looking at you, herbal tea and your 4 ironwood cost + 40 crafts for the next unlock)

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Selling quest items is a good early game strategy, but the items they make are going to be worth a lot more. I'm making 44k a pop off an item that takes 1 venom and 1 rainbow dust, and those are a hell of a lot easier and faster to get than the ice crystals.

Your strategy is really, really good at levelling your customers really high though, which is good unless they outgrow what you can make.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
That Pandemic: The Board Game game is out.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I'm not sure how to progress in Shop Heroes. I only just started, and it feels like I make MAYBE 80 at most from any given item, but in order to progress I need things that cost a lot more than I have (more workers I don't have the slots for to make the armor and herbs I'm starting to get recipes for, etc.). Am I missing something?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I'm not sure how to progress in Shop Heroes. I only just started, and it feels like I make MAYBE 80 at most from any given item, but in order to progress I need things that cost a lot more than I have (more workers I don't have the slots for to make the armor and herbs I'm starting to get recipes for, etc.). Am I missing something?

Whenever you fill the meter on an item's crafting screen card, it "levels up", with an effect according to the icon next to the meter. If there's a little scroll there, the effect is that you unlock a new recipe. This recipe is either the first item in another category, or the next level of expensive item in the same category. So, the knives section will eventually have knife, dagger, dirk, parrying dagger, stiletto, etc. Some of the later knives require the cheaper knives as ingredients. Every category works like this for its own items.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

As someone said earlier. Send your adventurers on the quest to collect the blue gems constantly. Never stop doing this. Then sell your gems on the market, you can get 200-300 gold each for them.

As for leveling up, it's slow as gently caress.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

ModeSix posted:

As someone said earlier. Send your adventurers on the quest to collect the blue gems constantly. Never stop doing this. Then sell your gems on the market, you can get 200-300 gold each for them.

As for leveling up, it's slow as gently caress.

Nah, sell them for 700. I always priced at 700 and they were sold within an hour. A stack of 10 will start raking in the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I enjoy Pokemon Shuffle. I caught Mew!