Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

there's something incredibly hilarious about this

it's like you've unlocked the secret Psionic perk

.... wait a second... :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Psion posted:

yeah don't get me wrong, I like demo and I like the idea of demo, but it's the weakest class against trash and it's not as good of a boss killer as it should be to compensate. IMO it needs to be better against trash regardless, really, but it's not as pound-murderingly awesome as it should be to balance out Firebug's ultimate trash killing + scrake microwaving power. Give the demo some better ability against trash which does not always bunch up (or when it does, it tends to bunch in linear fashion) and it'll be a lot more reasonable.

right now it's not even - arguably - balance. It's boring! Boring to stand on a piece of geometry for a good angle and just wait for a boss or big enough cluster of enemies that your firebug, zerker, or commando aren't just slaughtering in bulk lots. For a class which is all about awesome explosions I just don't even get it.

anyway, gif patrol.

physics vs chair
firebug owns
firebug zed time owns
owns a lot
seriously
it really does

Actually, the Demo is incredibly strong against trash. It's just also incredibly expensive to use against trash. Now it does become less expensive as every 5 levels you get a whopping whole extra shot added to your ammo caps, but it's still way to expensive even it is hilarious to watch an entire wave of trash get vaporized.

Honestly, my biggest problems with demo are:
-every single weapon is single shot, there is no variance
-loving IDIOTIC C4 NERF
-cluster pistol is incredibly unreliable. It's either amazing or poo poo, very little middle ground.
-hilariously weak against the only boss we have so far.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

President Ark posted:

there's something incredibly hilarious about this

it's like you've unlocked the secret Psionic perk

.... wait a second... :aaaaa:

it is my favorite gif by far. None of it makes sense, and that is what is so great about it

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Alkydere posted:

Actually, the Demo is incredibly strong against trash.

mmmmmm I disagree. To me, part of being strong against trash is being able to hold up your end on an entire Suicidal wave. Demo doesn't quite have the capacity for it just yet. While I agree individual shots are powerful and will wreck trash you don't have the capacity to last the wave. This is made worse if you take your anti-Fleshpound weapons of choice (which is your OTHER job) which ruins any ability to manage your fair share of trash enemies. C4 and RPG just don't have the number of shots for both trash and pounds.

Another way to think about it is that every other class can just see > shoot > done. No muss, no fuss. Demo has to maneuver, wait, and fire carefully and hope it works right, and only really can it stand up to the sheer numbers of trash enemies in chokepoints and has no significantly effective way to handle any zeds who leak through from someone else's zone. Other classes are strong in chokes (say, zerker, firebug) but they don't require one like that. It's inflexible, in a way. That's what I mean by capacity - it's not just raw ammo capacity, it's everything about demo and demo weapons put together.

and it's not too far off, but it's not quite there yet. My guess is TWI was concerned about the explosives class being super OP, which is fair enough. They just overshot the mark a bit.

Psion fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 4, 2015

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
so I'm trying to start KF2 so I can both start tweaking the settings that can be messed with in menu, and get the ini files made so I can tweak even further, but when I start it it almost immediately crashes, and here's what the support response says;

Crash Report #278293

This error is typically associated with an incomplete or corrupt game install. It's highly recommended to verify your game cache in Steam. Right-click on KF2 in Steam Library > Properties > Local Files > Verify Integrity

unfortunately I've already done that and it says that everything's fine, so am I boned, cause I would really not like to have to delete everything and redownload it, cause that took forever(internet's been kinda spotty here today)

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Does the c4 debuff stack from other people's c4, or do you have your own debuff timer on the same enemy? Just wondering if it's effective to chain c4 with other people or if they cause the debuff to continue for everyone.

There is some really good camping spots on the new maps where you have a zerk sit in front with a medic healing. It's pretty easy on suicidal, but HOE the fp's have been a problem. I'm wondering if the team was zerk, medic and the rest demo if it'd work as long as the c4 debuff doesn't apply to others.

Catacombs camp spot is at the L-shaped stairs. You can go up the stairs and run through the cave to weld the door. No zeds that matter will attack from the cave/door side, and the zerk can sit at the bottom of the stairs. Rest of the team can stand on the banister and heal/fire away without taking any damage. Only things that will come from behind are the sporadic crawlers and clots from the ceiling. Couple fleshpounds broke though the zerk eventually on HOE, we got them but the zerk was dead so the scrakes got us.

Evacuation point spot isn't quite as good, but it's in a spot between some stairs and a fence. Did suicidal pretty easily there.

Also to everyone worrying about demo in early waves, go zerk or firebug to start. Earn some money and then switch. This is how we did it in KF1. You need money to make the class work, and you need teammates that can clear trash. Going demo when you're only playing with a person or two is also bad.

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Sep 4, 2015

thejacob
Feb 13, 2014
If nothing else this free weekend has already been good for a laugh, never before have I seen Hans score multi-kills with his pipes but today I saw him get at least one double and a triple.

Maybe you guys can make those indicators cover the entire screen :v:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Maybe put a tooltip on the screen saying what killed you and how to avoid it, like:

[gas grenade] Avoid the gas that Volter throws, it does large amounts of damage over time.
[frag grenade] Watch out for Volter's frag grenades, they do large amounts of damage.

etc

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Nalesh posted:

Maybe put a tooltip on the screen saying what killed you and how to avoid it, like:

[gas grenade] Avoid the gas that Volter throws, it does large amounts of damage over time.
[frag grenade] Watch out for Volter's frag grenades, they do large amounts of damage.

etc

"Seriously guys, we marked his grenades with bright, blinking icons. Don't stand on them."

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Alkydere posted:

"Seriously guys, we marked his grenades with bright, blinking icons. Don't stand on them."

"When someone says 'stand in the gas', they mean the medic's gas."

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, with the free weekenders it's a continuous loop of:
"Don't shoot him when he's shielded, he's invulnerable then"
*Everybody unloads like a motherfucker whenever the shield goes up*

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

As someone who mostly plays Support, I'm a little annoyed that the firebug gets a better/cooler shotgun than us :colbert:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, with the free weekenders it's a continuous loop of:
"Don't shoot him when he's shielded, he's invulnerable then"
*Everybody unloads like a motherfucker whenever the shield goes up*

That never stopped happening, even with people who has played for a long time :v:

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
The free weekend means me trying to do HOE and an influx of perk level 0's joining. It's horrible.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Nalesh posted:

etc

In beta, there was a message that popped up when Hans spawns that literally says "he has gas grenades that work like bloat bile, do not stand in them" under his name, but that seems to be missing from the current build (or at least it hasn't shown up the couple of times I've played since the patch came out).

It's a shame because that sort of name/list of attacks thing looks pretty and is useful.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

As someone who mostly plays Support, I'm a little annoyed that the firebug gets a better/cooler shotgun than us :colbert:

It is both worse and lamer

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Did the pubbies get worse over the last few months? I was trying to play some hard with a buddy using the new perks last night and it was amazing how none of the commandos took the see invisible skill, no supports had the free ammo skill, nobody was healing. Even themselves. People were starting new waves with 60hp despite my best efforts to syringe them mid-break. Eventually I gave up on firebug and went medic. Didn't see a single other medic all night either. Oh and a support player still using the pump action in wave 5.
And before someone mentions the free weekend, these guys were mostly level 10+
It was truly an unforgettable night.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Zweihander's so good I'm tempted to buy Chivalry just so I can use it. loving marketing schemes are worming their way into my BRAIN

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Zweihander's so good I'm tempted to buy Chivalry just so I can use it. loving marketing schemes are worming their way into my BRAIN

You can usually find it for 2 keys on scrap.tf, that's where I got mine.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Ruggington posted:

It is both worse and lamer

Not since the buff it got. The trench gun has a ton of knockback and makes zeds panic something fierce, along with setting them on fire. It's pretty dang good and cool.

I mean yeah the double barrel would've just killed them all but the trench gun is cool about it.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Anyone else have an issue where their Steam overlay doesn't work with this? I think it may have something to do with Over wolf having added official support for KF2

thejacob
Feb 13, 2014

gnome7 posted:

Not since the buff it got. The trench gun has a ton of knockback and makes zeds panic something fierce, along with setting them on fire. It's pretty dang good and cool.

I mean yeah the double barrel would've just killed them all but the trench gun is cool about it.

Gonna second this, the knockback is great for interrupting husk and siren attacks.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Hook me up with some working goon servers, friends. This influx of free weekenders has ruined every match I've joined. Everyone's level 0 and ignoring their health.

I just wanted to level Commando a bit :(

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008

Foreskin Problems posted:

Hook me up with some working goon servers, friends. This influx of free weekenders has ruined every match I've joined. Everyone's level 0 and ignoring their health.

I just wanted to level Commando a bit :(

Same, it's so bad.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

puppy party posted:

Same, it's so bad.
Play medic and babysit some folks.

Also, I keep having terrible connection issues this weekend. Tons of disconnects even with really good ping. Anyone else, or just me/my computer/the update/the weekend?

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
http://steamcommunity.com/id/znorps/

add me if you want to play. I'll be out on Saturday night, but tonight and Sunday I plan on gettin rowdy on some zeds.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Ravenfood posted:

Play medic and babysit some folks.

this is what I've been doing and it's still horrible because even one competent medic can't prevent fresh pubbies from hunkering down at horrible spots and making sure their escape is welded shut at all times.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Why did KF2 just update :confused:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Psion posted:

Why did KF2 just update :confused:

They ran out of gibs and had to patch more in :getin:

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames
From what I played I like Demo.
Sure your regular guns are one shotters but throwing dynamite and c4 blows up everything.
You really do have to be careful about shot placement. The grenade pistol take finesse.
gently caress Sirens though

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
Honestly I like everything about the demo other than the grenade pistol. Why waste time shooting a bloat or a husk and not scratching them when I can just whip out a 9mm and tap them in the head a few times and be done with it?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197970790350/

Which of you nerds is playing this trash tonight? Let's get some goon games going, yo!

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Rayjenkins posted:

Honestly I like everything about the demo other than the grenade pistol. Why waste time shooting a bloat or a husk and not scratching them when I can just whip out a 9mm and tap them in the head a few times and be done with it?

because shooting the ground and killing 5 of them with splash damage is cool.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

She Bangs the Drums posted:

because shooting the ground and killing 1d6 of them with splash damage is cool.

Slight edit for accuracy.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

She Bangs the Drums posted:

because shooting the ground and killing 5 of them with splash damage is cool.

Believe me, I like doing that too, but I'm specifically talking about husks and bloats, hell even gorefasts if they're not in your grill. Not being able to gib a husk in one shot, I could understand that, but not being able to gib a bloat despite point-blanking them in the face leaves the gun underwhelming. I realize that bloats are supposed to be the starter bullet-sponge, but the grenade pistol only gets like 24 rounds total. Why can't I just jam my grenade pistol down its mouth and go hog-wild? :smith:

In any case, I still really enjoy the Demo once I get my RPG and C4. Also, contact-detonating dynamite loving owns and makes the demo grenade go from good-if-you-time-it-right to bonkers.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Man, having tried Firebug, gotta say, the molotov has some weird loving arc to it. I guess it's there to cover more gound (with fire), but I've overshot enemies with it, especially on balconies, a few times now :v:

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Free week is feeling kinda disasterous, I guess the default matchmaking difficulty setting is "any" so newbies are throw everywhere that isn't normal mode :v:.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Menus keep bugging. Trader menu bugs and I can't buy/sell. Hit escape and can't leave the game, which is often because there are so many level 0's in HOE games now.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

Drakes posted:

Free week is feeling kinda disasterous, I guess the default matchmaking difficulty setting is "any" so newbies are throw everywhere that isn't normal mode :v:.

It took me several rounds to find a group that could beat Hans.

Either way, Firebug is slowly creeping up on Zerk as my favorite perk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

cliffdiver posted:

It took me several rounds to find a group that could beat Hans.

Either way, Firebug is slowly creeping up on Zerk as my favorite perk.

It's just so fun to light dudes on fire, and the 50% detonation perk is bonkers amazing. Microwave gun is a really fun weapon, too.