Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Tir McDohl posted:

Third WOFF game in a row with a far superior sequel.

Yeah, but we're making up for that by doing Doom 2 next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The best official Doom levels were in Final Doom, so yeah that still sort of counts

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
God Paper Mario was trash, sure do wish I'd held onto it though, used copies go for like £50 these days.

gently caress knows why anyone would be willing to pay £50 for one of the worst games on the Gamecube but meh.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Taken as a whole I'd say Doom 2 is a better package. How are you playing it? Default Steam package or all zDoomed up?

Ramagamma posted:

God Paper Mario was trash, sure do wish I'd held onto it though, used copies go for like £50 these days.

gently caress knows why anyone would be willing to pay £50 for one of the worst games on the Gamecube but meh.

Thousand Year Door is near perfection please find the nearest cliff to leap off.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

al-azad posted:

Thousand Year Door is near perfection please find the nearest cliff to leap off.

Hahaha. No it's not you loving crazy person. If you said "Thousand Year Door is a good video game" I'd just nod, say all opinions are valid and back away without breaking eye contact but to call that game "near perfection" ? Like in all seriousness, can we swap lives because the kind of upbringing that causes someone to lavish that much praise on an utterly mediocre and child friendly Nintendo wank-fest must find joy and delight in staring at a pavement.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Ramagamma posted:

Hahaha. No it's not you loving crazy person. If you said "Thousand Year Door is a good video game" I'd just nod, say all opinions are valid and back away without breaking eye contact but to call that game "near perfection" ? Like in all seriousness, can we swap lives because the kind of upbringing that causes someone to lavish that much praise on an utterly mediocre and child friendly Nintendo wank-fest must find joy and delight in staring at a pavement.
Well that's unnecessarily harsh.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

TetsuoTW posted:

Well that's unnecessarily harsh.

No don't you get it, he's fine if you have opinions on video games as long as they aren't crazy.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Don't even get me started on those idiots that like

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TetsuoTW posted:

Don't even get me started on those idiots that like

...anime?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I dig the concept of Paper Mario/the low numbers systems, and the risk/reward with personal play style of badges and guided stat gains, but the actual playing the games always ends in me tossing 'em aside. because they have some JRPG-rear end padding. I think the only game in that style I ever finished was the Steven Universe phone RPG, where it was a blatant-rear end clone but in short levels that never left you wandering or backtracking.

I'd try that one Obsidian did, but eeeeeh South Park leaves me so loving cold.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Ramagamma posted:

Just a random question here:

Have you ever worked for Game Informer.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Probably not, because that famous review wasn't expressed in the most fedoralord way possible.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Just a random question here:

Have you ever worked for Game Informer.

The only game informing I'm doing is informing people that Paper Mario is a mediocre game.

edit: I'm being in tongue in cheek of course, like what you will, really, but Paper Mario close to perfect? You'll struggle to find anyone over 10 who won't scoff at that.

Ramagamma fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 4, 2015

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
The only thing Paper Mario has going for it is that it's a really elegant small numbers JRPG. That mostly reflects poorly on the rest of the genre rather than well on Paper Mario.

Probably not worth having a slapfight over it with people that disagree, though.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm surprised that SMRPG is in both Gary and Kole's "ehhh" bucket. I'm not a huge fan of it, but I do understand that people get weird about graphics (I'm not a huge fan of DKC, but I find Rayman's graphics to be more off putting). Just from the introduction and explaining the mechanics, almost every point that was brought up was in SMRPG, the big one being the timed hits (which may have been a first in the genre).

N e wayz, I really enjoyed your guys' breakdown of PM!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Ramagamma posted:

Paper Mario close to perfect? You'll struggle to find anyone over 10 who won't scoff at that.
Not that much of a struggle actually.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

If we are pretending 11 year old reviews are applicable today we might as well all just give in and hail Metal Gear Solid as the greatest videogame ever made, past and future.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I didn't realize those goalposts were so shallowly installed.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ramagamma posted:

If we are pretending 11 year old reviews are applicable today we might as well all just give in and hail Metal Gear Solid 2 as the greatest videogame ever made, past and future.

Fixed.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
MGS discussion on new idle thumbs was actually awesome to listen to. I loved listening to Nick's enthusiasm for the game and how surprised at how good the game was because thats exactly how I feel as well. Sometimes I think people just disregard MGS as like "that anime as gently caress game series" but MGS5 really is on the next level of video games I think. Its just perfect.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

The REAL Goobusters posted:

MGS discussion on new idle thumbs was actually awesome to listen to. I loved listening to Nick's enthusiasm for the game and how surprised at how good the game was because thats exactly how I feel as well. Sometimes I think people just disregard MGS as like "that anime as gently caress game series" but MGS5 really is on the next level of video games I think. Its just perfect.

That was hands-down the most dangerous thing for me to hear this week because hearing that specific group use the terms they did to describe the game has probably ensured that down the line, I'll buy it, when Ground Zeroes left me going "I think I'm done with this series, it's not for me".

Also I really loved this week's Retronauts discussing the franchise, because as much as Bettenhausen really seems way more into the series and Kojima as a dude than I ever could be, his counterpoints brought out a lot of good discussion from the rest of the panel.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I've never played a Metal Gear game (never owned a Sony console) but after hearing the way IT and other podcasts have gushed over MGS5 I really want to check it out. It's a shame that, in its current state, Konami will probably never put out a MGS HD Collection of 1-4 or something to that effect. That's one of the few series I can think of where I would buy such a collection.

Also TTYD holds the dubious honor of being the furthest I've gone in a video game before saying "you know what, I don't care to see the rest of this". It's like the one time in my life I'll be able to defy the sunk cost fallacy and, I had to waste it on a video game. It didn't help that I played Superstar Saga right before it, a game that did everything better from the mechanics to the humor to the pacing.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

C-Euro posted:

I've never played a Metal Gear game (never owned a Sony console) but after hearing the way IT and other podcasts have gushed over MGS5 I really want to check it out. It's a shame that, in its current state, Konami will probably never put out a MGS HD Collection of 1-4 or something to that effect. That's one of the few series I can think of where I would buy such a collection.

????????????????

Uhmmm

http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Gear-Solid-Collection-Playstation-3/dp/B00CTKHXFO

(oh just read you don't have a sony console, just find a ps3 or something for cheap or borrow from a friend or something)

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

That was hands-down the most dangerous thing for me to hear this week because hearing that specific group use the terms they did to describe the game has probably ensured that down the line, I'll buy it, when Ground Zeroes left me going "I think I'm done with this series, it's not for me".
It's hard to imagine a stronger endorsement than Nick calling it "the new Far Cry 2".

I'm still not going to play it if it comes out that it has anything like another vagina bomb in it, though.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

FractalSandwich posted:

I'm still not going to play it if it comes out that it has anything like another vagina bomb in it, though.

The closest I have heard to anything like that (because you better loving believe I've been listening too!) is something I do not have full details on that sounds... questionable, and this pretty good critique of Quiet/her story arc.

The other bit, and I have no idea how this plays out, but it came from a buddy: Apparently Paz is alive. Maybe. There's a cell of some kind she's kept in after you do a side mission, and it "reveals"/retcons that the end of GZ had a doctor remove the now-confirmed-a-vagina-bomb safely, instead leaving an anti-air missile to down the helicopter. She fell into the water and was fine. He says that there's some weirdness involving this that means it might be in Jack's head, though?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

FractalSandwich posted:

It's hard to imagine a stronger endorsement than Nick calling it "the new Far Cry 2".

I think that's silly and you should still play this game.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I think that's silly and you should still play this game.
I don't think it's silly to refuse to support something you disagree with.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

TetsuoTW posted:

I don't think it's silly to refuse to support something you disagree with.

fair enough

but i still think its silly

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

C-Euro posted:

You should play it even if you haven't played any other Metal Gear games. The actual game part is good enough that it doesn't matter if you're really invested in the story or not.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

fair enough

but i still think its silly

It's disturbing how casual/cavalier the weird misogyny is surrounding MGS5. Like the same day Kojima was showing off the life-like boobs on the Quiet figurine on Twitter, Nintendo announced the Nintendo World Championships 2015.

The stark contrast was a bit unsettling.

That said, it's somewhat in the same boat as GTA5 where a reviewer mentioned that the portrayal of women leaves a lot to be desired; however, the game is absolutely insane and well put together outside of that.

(I haven't played an mgs since 3, I'm waiting for my Nvidia code to come in since the game is coming off as amazing)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

????????????????

Uhmmm

http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Gear-Solid-Collection-Playstation-3/dp/B00CTKHXFO

(oh just read you don't have a sony console, just find a ps3 or something for cheap or borrow from a friend or something)

Actually I legit had no idea that this existed. Thanks!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Phone posted:

It's disturbing how casual/cavalier the weird misogyny is surrounding MGS5. Like the same day Kojima was showing off the life-like boobs on the Quiet figurine on Twitter, Nintendo announced the Nintendo World Championships 2015.

The stark contrast was a bit unsettling.

That said, it's somewhat in the same boat as GTA5 where a reviewer mentioned that the portrayal of women leaves a lot to be desired; however, the game is absolutely insane and well put together outside of that.

(I haven't played an mgs since 3, I'm waiting for my Nvidia code to come in since the game is coming off as amazing)

I thought the stripper club stuff in GTA 5 was when we actually crossed the line with the boobs and sex stuff in triple A video games. Having Quiet just have a sexy outfit isn't the same to me as all that poo poo that was definitely not needed to be in there at all I think and was gross.

I think there are WAYYY bigger problems with misogyny in video games than Quiet.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Ramagamma posted:

The only game informing I'm doing is informing people that Paper Mario is a mediocre game.

edit: I'm being in tongue in cheek of course, like what you will, really, but Paper Mario close to perfect? You'll struggle to find anyone over 10 who won't scoff at that.

Surely there is a way to say this that doesn't make you sound like you co-host a video blog about Anita Sarkeesian's lies with the help of a plastic skull.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Woffle posted:

Yeah, but we're making up for that by doing Doom 2 next.

Definitely don't go down the rabbit hole that is doom wads, but maybe take a quick look at the current state to see how the game has evolved over 20 years of active development (specifically probably Back to Saturn x).

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Jordan7hm posted:

Definitely don't go down the rabbit hole that is doom wads

This, except the exact opposite.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

I thought the stripper club stuff in GTA 5 was when we actually crossed the line with the boobs and sex stuff in triple A video games. Having Quiet just have a sexy outfit isn't the same to me as all that poo poo that was definitely not needed to be in there at all I think and was gross.

I think there are WAYYY bigger problems with misogyny in video games than Quiet.

Yeah, the amount of hand-wringing over Quiet's sexy outfit compared to Literally Every Other Triple A Game Ever kinda blows my mind.

Note: I'm not saying you shouldn't hand-wring over things you don't like in games, but this has gotten way more attention pre-release than it really deserved.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Considering the last thing Kojima did was bomb vagina, I think it was people preparing for the worst.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Most people didn't even know about the bomb vagina because that was in a hidden audio tape. And then everyone went loving crazy about it when one person reported about the tape.

There has been WAYYYYYYYYYY worse poo poo in video games that is actually shown and I always thought the MGS stuff was so overblown.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I haven't played MGS5 so I could well be wrong but isn't Quiet getting a lot of attention because Kojima stated there'd be some deeper meaning to her character design but it turned out to be flimsy bullhsit like everyone suspected it would be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Most people didn't even know about the bomb vagina because that was in a hidden audio tape. And then everyone went loving crazy about it when one person reported about the tape.
Hidden audio tape?

She literally says "there's another one in my...", jumps out of the helicopter and explodes in the final cutscene of GZ.

• Locked thread