Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Excels posted:

he was literally one of the first villains in gaming history

well, technically it was cranky, but DK sort of inherited his legacy in those Mini Mario spinoffs

Lets not go into dk lore please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Lets not go into dk lore please.

Too late

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Cranky Kong was actually rendered sterile after he was involved in tests of strong herbicides and pesticides by Stanley the bug man during a successful collection mission in the Congo. Mario saw the need for platforming action gorillas and conspired with Princess Daisy to begin les gorilles terribles, a project by which three clones of Cranky Kong were created. One was a perfect clone in every way and quickly became insane and transformed himself into a lizard, rolling over the lizard tribes, making himself King Kong Rool. He rapidly changed personalities as well, becoming Kaptain Kong Rool and Baron Kong Rool in his constant attempts to siege Donkey Kong Island. One clone was made using the so called "weak genes" of Cranky. This was Donkey Kong. The last clone was made from the strong genes, and this was Funky Kong.

Mario grew to fear the Kongs and believe they may be too powerful, and he kidnapped a young chimpanzee as a countermeasure, believing it was not necessarily genes, but circumstances and memes that made them who they were. Diddy Kong was put through a virtual reality simulation of Donkey Kong "country" in which he relived the events of the first war of the Kongs. The plan backfired, as Kaptain Kong Rool kidnapped Donkey Kong, solving the problem, but Diddy Kongs programming and experience caused him to instinctively rescue Donkey Kong, even after Mario inserted the sleeper agent Dixie to try and distract from his mission.

The mushroom kingdom was in panic as the Kongs expanded their territory, now having dominion over Kong, Kremling islands and expanding into the surrounding islands. As a last gambit Mario turned K. Rool to the mushroom cause and successfully captured both Donkey and Diddy, but his own agent Dixie had fallen in love with the smaller Kong and together with the child they had out of wedlock freed him.

The proxy war with the Kong Island continues to this day, with Mario employing the skills of tikis, snowmads, and even racing wizard pigs to try to show their expansion. Kong Rool is presumed dead.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

greatn posted:

Cranky Kong was actually rendered sterile after he was involved in tests of strong herbicides and pesticides by Stanley the bug man during a successful collection mission in the Congo. Mario saw the need for platforming action gorillas and conspired with Princess Daisy to begin les gorilles terribles, a project by which three clones of Cranky Kong were created. One was a perfect clone in every way and quickly became insane and transformed himself into a lizard, rolling over the lizard tribes, making himself King Kong Rool. He rapidly changed personalities as well, becoming Kaptain Kong Rool and Baron Kong Rool in his constant attempts to siege Donkey Kong Island. One clone was made using the so called "weak genes" of Cranky. This was Donkey Kong. The last clone was made from the strong genes, and this was Funky Kong.

Mario grew to fear the Kongs and believe they may be too powerful, and he kidnapped a young chimpanzee as a countermeasure, believing it was not necessarily genes, but circumstances and memes that made them who they were. Diddy Kong was put through a virtual reality simulation of Donkey Kong "country" in which he relived the events of the first war of the Kongs. The plan backfired, as Kaptain Kong Rool kidnapped Donkey Kong, solving the problem, but Diddy Kongs programming and experience caused him to instinctively rescue Donkey Kong, even after Mario inserted the sleeper agent Dixie to try and distract from his mission.

The mushroom kingdom was in panic as the Kongs expanded their territory, now having dominion over Kong, Kremling islands and expanding into the surrounding islands. As a last gambit Mario turned K. Rool to the mushroom cause and successfully captured both Donkey and Diddy, but his own agent Dixie had fallen in love with the smaller Kong and together with the child they had out of wedlock freed him.

The proxy war with the Kong Island continues to this day, with Mario employing the skills of tikis, snowmads, and even racing wizard pigs to try to show their expansion. Kong Rool is presumed dead.

:golfclap:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqmrztzTMtI

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

i love KPG but i can't stand faux-british accents

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

loudog999 posted:

There was a firmware update in February of this year and you can now switch back and forth between standard letter-to-letter mapping and A<->B, X<->Y mapping.

Just go to the website and follow the instructions to update to the 2/10/15 firmware. After that you can hold Start and B for 3 seconds to switch to standard physical mapping (A<->B; X<->Y)

Holy poo poo thank you for posting this, I would have never known otherwise.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo UK got some of the Playtonic dudes (Yooka-Laylee devs, ex-Rare people) to make some Mario Maker levels:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct51yd4LNgw

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

loudog999 posted:

There was a firmware update in February of this year and you can now switch back and forth between standard letter-to-letter mapping and A<->B, X<->Y mapping.

Just go to the website and follow the instructions to update to the 2/10/15 firmware. After that you can hold Start and B for 3 seconds to switch to standard physical mapping (A<->B; X<->Y)

Well poo poo. Hopefully I can find something useful to do with Pinnacle.

Thanks for the tip, that's really handy.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Is... Is this real?

It seems like an obvious parody, but it's also quite polished.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It doesn't even reference game and watch where Mario trains Donkey Kong before his imprisonment, nor Donkey Kong 3. It is a poor timeline.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

ikanreed posted:

Is... Is this real?

It seems like an obvious parody, but it's also quite polished.

It's not real.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

greatn posted:

It doesn't even reference game and watch where Mario trains Donkey Kong before his imprisonment, nor Donkey Kong 3. It is a poor timeline.

DK3 is in the middle timeline

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Real question here: did I miss something here or do people not think Donkey Kong was called Donkey Kong in the game called Donkey Kong?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Donkey Kong is his slave name. That's why he's so cranky.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

This video, despite being a joke video, actually accurately describes the Donkey Kong "lore" better than anything else I've seen.

EDIT: Maybe I should actually read the thread because someone already linked it :v:

arcsig fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 4, 2015

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
the real question is, what the gently caress happened to donkey kong jr?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Here's the real scoop.

Mario captured a gorilla and trained it for media appearances in one of his earliest adventures, before any of his games. The training process is a game and watch game where he is somewhat abusive. Donkey Kong broke free and kidnapped Mario's girlfriend Pauline. This is Donkey Kong the game. Mario recaptured the gorilla, but when he went to return him to the jungle was attacked by the gorilla's progeny, DK Jr. Scarred by the events, he turned to a life of plumbing which got him involved in the events of Mario Bros. and eventually Super Mario Bros.

Donkey Kong was back in the jungle but the jungle became infested with killer bees. Stanley showed up to help but Donkey Kong was justifiably wary of humans and attacked him. In the three way struggle, he ended up being stung by bees a lot. He relocated to an island with other gorillas after this ecological disaster and named it Kong Island. Everyone called him cranky now because that's what he was. Things started unraveling making him age at an accelerated rate. Number one, his own son began to willingly compatriate with Mario and his friends, racing and playing tennis(this really made Cranky see red). A television dramatization of the original Pauline caper became popular (DK94) making him a laughing stock, and finally a race of lizard people invaded his island. But lo the prodigal son returned, taking up his dad's moniker to beat back the baddies. From Donkey Kong country onwards the games are mostly in order and self explanatory, although at one point Nu-Donkey Kong returns to the big city and develops his own rivalry with Mario over the irresistibly alluring Pauline and later over toys and merchandising intellectual property issues.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

greatn posted:

Donkey Kong was back in the jungle but the jungle became infested with killer bees. Stanley showed up to help but Donkey Kong was justifiably wary of humans and attacked him.

I can't believe I'm replying to this, but in Donkey Kong 3, Donkey Kong is in Stanley the bug man's greenhouse. It doesn't take place in a jungle. Stanley is also from a Game and Watch game that features the same greenhouse from Donkey Kong 3.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

You started this

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nintendo UK got some of the Playtonic dudes (Yooka-Laylee devs, ex-Rare people) to make some Mario Maker levels:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct51yd4LNgw

...Were they not meant to release that yet or something? Video is set to private.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Fremry posted:

I can't believe I'm replying to this, but in Donkey Kong 3, Donkey Kong is in Stanley the bug man's greenhouse. It doesn't take place in a jungle. Stanley is also from a Game and Watch game that features the same greenhouse from Donkey Kong 3.

When you're building a cinematic universe you have to make a couple changes.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Friend asked me if I saw some new zelda shots the other day and I'm looking at the thread not seeing anything. I'm guessing whatever they saw was old news?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

LethalGeek posted:

Friend asked me if I saw some new zelda shots the other day and I'm looking at the thread not seeing anything. I'm guessing whatever they saw was old news?

Most likely the 3DS co-op game that is looking rather neat. Lots of info and screenshots just came out. Not the open world Wii U game, though.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Thanks to this video I now know that multiple people have drawn pictures of a pregnant King K Rool

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Adam Bowen posted:

Thanks to this video I now know that multiple people have drawn pictures of a pregnant King K Rool

That's no way to talk about a man's beer belly

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Instant Sunrise posted:

the real question is, what the gently caress happened to donkey kong jr?

He retired to an unknown jungle location after a brief career in the Mario Kart circuit.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

greatn posted:

greatn posted:

Here's the real scoop.

Mario captured a gorilla and trained it for media appearances in one of his earliest adventures, before any of his games. The training process is a game and watch game where he is somewhat abusive.

I'm not sure what the gently caress you're talking about, but I had the G&W Donkey Kong when I was a kid and there was nothing that had to do with Mario training / torturing Donkey Kong.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

I'm not sure what the gently caress you're talking about, but I had the G&W Donkey Kong when I was a kid and there was nothing that had to do with Mario training / torturing Donkey Kong.

There's another one called circus or something, you have to jump through fiery hoops and catch balls while Mario whips you.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
I thought Donkey Kong Jr just became the main Donkey Kong, starting with DKC.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Chill Penguin posted:

DK jr is DK's absentee father, Cranky is his grandfather. Donkey Kong The Third stars in DKC

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Chill Penguin posted:

This is definitely correct at least as of when Donkey Kong Country 1/2/3 were new, but it's possible Nintendo changed their minds on it or whatever since.

Dang now that Zelda was settled thanks to Hyrule History we need Donkey Kong timeline arguments.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Originally Diddy Kong was supposed to be revamped version of DK Jr but Nintendo made Rare change the name instead because it such a radically different design.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Golden Goat posted:

This game looks awful and I love it.

oh gently caress yeah

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

I finally got myself an Wii U and I'm playing Pikmin 3.

It's super good and everybody should play it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Stink Terios posted:

I finally got myself an Wii U and I'm playing Pikmin 3.

It's super good and everybody should play it.

Welp, my friends are lost and starving.

Only thing to do is have their portions too!

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

This is definitely correct at least as of when Donkey Kong Country 1/2/3 were new, but it's possible Nintendo changed their minds on it or whatever since.

Dang now that Zelda was settled thanks to Hyrule History we need Donkey Kong timeline arguments.

Since Cranky Kong has been said to be DK's father and his grandfather at different points, the only conclusion we can draw is that a time machine was involved, presumably made from a wooden barrel and powered by bananas.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Is it worth buying a Wii U now? Cuz I'm poor as gently caress, I don't want to buy a new console if it's gonna be replaced by the NX soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
We've got no clue when the NX is coming out. Could be next year (very unlikely), could be a couple years out or more. Either way, there's plenty of great games on the Wii U, and I don't think we've heard if the NX will be compatible with Wii U games.

Hell, we don't even know what the NX is.

• Locked thread