Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I want this to be an actual episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

CrazyLoon posted:

My read on her is that a) Like most rebellious daughters, she really doesn't want to follow in Beth's footsteps (see Rixty Minutes) b) Is very progressive, well-meaning, if also naive due to that (her actions on most adventures wind up being that) and c) Tends to be such not so much due to any kind of moral center, but since she's quite concerned about her popularity, as shown by the last episode of Season 1 (and to quote Nancy, that is *NOT* what Lincler stood for!)

I honestly get the impression that her 'being an accident' for such a long time in the mind of her parents was something that played a huge part in her being subconsciously neglected by her parents. Kids do pick up on that, so she stopped looking to her mother as a role-model awhile back and just latched onto whatever her school peers offered. Which was, of course, mostly just your standard teenager stuff. As for brains, well, she and Morty are both about par for the course. Not quite as bland as Jerry, but not quite as refined as Beth.

I noticed a couple of other things about Summer. She's the only one in the house who will consistently stand up to Rick and I think he respects her for it. At least he respects this version of her. It's interesting that in "Meeseeks and Destroy.," Rick opened a portal, killed King Jellybean and got revenge for Morty. In Something Ricked This Way Comes, Rick bulked up hunted down the Devil and got revenge with Summer.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Well yeah, sure, she's more assertive than Morty. OTOH this also makes her more of an inconvenient traveling companion than Morty, because while he also objects to Rick's actions like it's been said, he does so privately and is moreso willing to roll with the punches. It's probably the main reason why Rick picked Morty to be his helper, other than the whole: "Uh, I don't adventure with girls." shtick he grew out of.

And as strange as this might sound, I respect Morty a lot more for that than Summer. Yeah, one could say that "at least Summer's not sheeple," but being just a rebellious teenager as the alternative to having Beth as a role-model or putting up with Rick's poo poo is hardly proof of that (plus she's still jealous as hell of Morty having been picked first by Rick). Morty, OTOH, is genuinely braver than her and is willing to tolerate plenty of mindfucks, just to see an adventure through. As a result, sure, Morty comes off as a fair bit less assertive than Summer on the decision-making part of things...but it also means that he follows through and learns more, is still genuinely curious to learn about new multiverse things while Summer prefers to go back to her iPhone, and is also brave enough to keep doing this. And he has his own moral center and does things according to it, not being that concerned with popularity.

The counterpoint, though, is also that while there's no worry whatsoever that Summer would ever turn into Rick, there's a very real chance that Morty might find himself in his shoes one day.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Morty's been traveling with Rick a lot longer. He's learned to pick his battles.

This last episode was a great example. He spends the first few seconds inside the battery trying to get rick to understand his hypocrisy, but after that he's just all 'gently caress everything' and mopily goes along for the ride until they get stuck, at which point he's the one who provides the eventually takes on the onus of getting them out by forcing Rick and Stephen Colbert to work together. He might not like it, but he understands a lot better than Summer just how screwed up it is out there, so it takes Rick betting an exceptionally huge jerkass to force him into action.

And yeah, we've already seen in Close Rick-Counters of the Rick Kind that there's a real danger of Morty turning into something terrible giving the right set of circumstances.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I have the feeling most of you have put more thought into these characters than the creators have. Always trying to come up with complicated reasons for their actions, when probably the reason the writers wrote it that way was "because it was funny".

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fateo McMurray posted:

I have the feeling most of you have put more thought into these characters than the creators have. Always trying to come up with complicated reasons for their actions, when probably the reason the writers wrote it that way was "because it was funny".

Yeah, Summer is super-inconsistently written, mostly because the writers go with whatever's funniest at the time.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Fateo McMurray posted:

I dunno, it's certainly possible, but I think you underestimate how much backstory tends to happen just via osmosis when you're writing a character.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Fateo McMurray posted:

probably the reason the writers wrote it that way was "because it was funny".

this is what dan harmon and justin roiland say in every interview

also "i do declare, i like buttholes"

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Skippy McPants posted:

I dunno, it's certainly possible, but I think you underestimate how much backstory tends to happen just via osmosis when you're writing a character.

Maybe for dramas or whatever. But a cartoon about weekly wacky scifi adventures? The reasons characters do things is because they're funny, not because the writers are trying to hint at something deep inside the character.

Now I know there's probably an example in the show already that's actually the writers trying to be deep about a character and before you use it as an example that you're right gently caress you you know it's not that way most of the time

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Dieting Hippo posted:

this is what dan harmon and justin roiland say in every interview

Right. And that brings us back to how important one thinks authorial intent is. Me? I'm perfectly aware they probably don't put that much thought in it, other than a lot of osmosis and hashing poo poo out as they go along.

Doesn't mean you can't still read into what something means to you personally. The writers are the writers and the show is the show. And it's more than possible for someone to not expend much effort, but still come up with something others get a whole lot more out of than they intended. I really don't care if I'm *right* about the poo poo I scribble here - it's not the point at all. Like I said, people who put too much on authorial intent tend to be those types of crazies.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

It's insane to me how this over analsys of a fun cartoon written by a manchild and a psychotic manchild goes round in circles here.

It's not even in the spirit of the show.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Fateo McMurray posted:

Maybe for dramas or whatever. But a cartoon about weekly wacky scifi adventures? The reasons characters do things is because they're funny, not because the writers are trying to hint at something deep inside the character.

Now I know there's probably an example in the show already that's actually the writers trying to be deep about a character and before you use it as an example that you're right gently caress you you know it's not that way most of the time

The first eight seasons of the Simpsons were fantastic, and part of that was because the characters were pretty well-written, not just for gags.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

KoRMaK posted:

It's not even in the spirit of the show.

Why would this matter? "It's not even in the spirit of the show to analyze a cartoon" - so what?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

It's like finding out that you like a show because its fun and not tedious, and then you go hang out with other people who also like the show and you think it will be a similiar expeireince to the show: fun and not tedious.

But instead you get there and its not fun and IS tedious.

See: bronies for another example of "not being in the spirit of the show"

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I think neckbeards buying and loving rainbow horse vagina fleshlights is slightly different than people stitching consistent personalities out of throwaway gags.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

It def is slightly different.

Don't think about it too much, would ya?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

rydiafan posted:

I think neckbeards buying and loving rainbow horse vagina fleshlights is slightly different than people stitching consistent personalities out of throwaway gags.

It's starts out with just people talkin about character stuff out of throw away gags...and then the thing you know, you got yourself a Mr Poopy Buttplug.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

KoRMaK posted:

It's like finding out that you like a show because its fun and not tedious, and then you go hang out with other people who also like the show and you think it will be a similiar expeireince to the show: fun and not tedious.

But instead you get there and its not fun and IS tedious.

See: bronies for another example of "not being in the spirit of the show"

If you find this kind of analysis tedious, maybe you can just skip over the longer posts ITT and focus just on the short ones that riff on all the jokes or whatever you don't find tedious.

And your example of bronies 'not being in the spirit of the show' is definitely not terribly demonstrative of that always being a bad thing, ever. In that case, it's moreso in the fact that half of them are closet horse-fuckers, that fap to cartoon horses and crowd little kids that also come to all those cons. I agree that's definitely far too much, but if you're gonna compare that kind of thing to our analysis and sperging over things ITT, then dude - you're on the SA forums! I mean...sooner or later, this stuff happens here and for a lot of folks it ain't just a bad thing either. Heck, :spergin: is one of the main reasons a forum exists.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What if Rick is dying and the show is just him hallucinating? Really makes you think.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Or maybe Morty is an autistic boy and this is just all in his imagination.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The whole show takes place during the '100 years' speech.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CelticPredator posted:

The whole show takes place during the '100 years' speech.

You better be careful; keep this up and you'll wind up loving an inflatable Morty.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I don't think the discussion here has gone really off the rails, there's no crazy conspiracy theories like what Paladinus is joking about. We're just talking about conjecture based on events in the show and such. There's a clear consistency and setting in Rick and Morty, it's not all throwaway gags (even ones you think are throwaway like Gazorpazorpfield end up appearing again later), so taking that consistency and projecting into the future or discussing it is just natural. If this were, say, Family Guy where nothing matters between episodes then I'd understand, but there's more to Rick and Morty than meets the eye.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

The show is just a historical documentary. I mean, this was released in 2005 and in the show the 3rd was new in theaters.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

KoRMaK posted:

Or maybe Morty is an autistic boy and this is just all in his imagination.

https://thetommywestphall.wordpress.com/about/

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Fateo McMurray posted:

The show is just a historical documentary. I mean, this was released in 2005 and in the show the 3rd was new in theaters.

Woah, it says Summer right there.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

prefect posted:

You better be careful; keep this up and you'll wind up loving an inflatable Morty.

I hope it's like one of those things that when you punch it, it goes down and back up again. All while screaming like Cup in 2 girls 1 cup.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fateo McMurray posted:

Two Brothers is actually the second sequel to that movie. A brother dies in every movie.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The prequel is called Five Brothers.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Entropic posted:

The prequel is called Five Brothers.

Wouldn't it be Mom?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I'm hoping the Council of Ricks gets revisited in an episode involving a civil war between the Council Ricks and the Anti-Council Ricks, and the episode's called Crisis on Infinite Ricks

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Segmentation Fault posted:

I don't think the discussion here has gone really off the rails, there's no crazy conspiracy theories like what Paladinus is joking about. We're just talking about conjecture based on events in the show and such. There's a clear consistency and setting in Rick and Morty, it's not all throwaway gags (even ones you think are throwaway like Gazorpazorpfield end up appearing again later), so taking that consistency and projecting into the future or discussing it is just natural. If this were, say, Family Guy where nothing matters between episodes then I'd understand, but there's more to Rick and Morty than meets the eye.

Gazorpazorp-loving-field.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Gimme my loving enchiladas *laughs*

EDIT: TBH, those are actually the ones I like the most from Rixty Minutes - the ones where you can feel the 4th wall cracking. Like that SNL skit: "Starring...a man painted silver who makes robot noises, Garmanarnar, three...uh...am...uh, I'll...I'll get back to that one..." I can just imagine the artists drawing random poo poo and the narrator failing to keep up with the images on the improv take.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 4, 2015

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Sometimes other people get disproportionally more invested in things I like, and it kinda bothers me. Am I experiencing that thing half-assedly? Will I extract more enjoyment if I engage with the thing more fully? Or will I cross the invisible line of "fandom" if I do so? Is the line absolute, or relative? Are some things more acceptable to be engaged with to a larger extend than with other things, and what kind of qualities define that?

But then I scroll past their walls of text and forget about it.

Rick and Morty is a good show with funny gags and smart plotlines :)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rexides posted:

Sometimes other people get disproportionally more invested in things I like, and it kinda bothers me. Am I experiencing that thing half-assedly? Will I extract more enjoyment if I engage with the thing more fully? Or will I cross the invisible line of "fandom" if I do so? Is the line absolute, or relative? Are some things more acceptable to be engaged with to a larger extend than with other things, and what kind of qualities define that?

I feel this way about almost everything. :sympathy:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

KoRMaK posted:

Wouldn't it be Mom?

Ball Fondlers.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
So for the people that hate reading dicussions about TV shows, what do you come here for? Do you just like it when people type out jokes while watching the show?

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
I feel a good rule is to be not more enthusiastic about a work than its creators.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Dr_Amazing posted:

So for the people that hate reading dicussions about TV shows, what do you come here for? Do you just like it when people type out jokes while watching the show?

Post-episode funny gifs and Typical posts about the work that goes into the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Whiz Palace posted:

I feel a good rule is to be not more enthusiastic about a work than its creators.

How do you feel about Sherlock Holmes fans forcing Doyle to resurrect the character?

• Locked thread