Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

larchesdanrew posted:

An employee chose to give up their work iPhone in favor of using their personal phone with a monthly reimbursement. The phone's been sitting down here collecting dust for a few weeks. The GM just came in and told me to get it set up for the new digital sales associate.

I went to factory restore the iPhone and now it's stuck in a reboot loop. The idiot that had it before apparently had it jailbroken and now it just errors out of every attempt to restore the firmware.

I'm the idiot. I forgot I jailbroke it last year and never actually did anything with it. Now I'm sitting here and attempting to convey what a "brick" is.

Booting into DFU mode isn't working? That will force it into "Connect to iTunes" mode and basically wipe everything and install the latest iOS image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

flosofl posted:

Booting into DFU mode isn't working? That will force it into "Connect to iTunes" mode and basically wipe everything and install the latest iOS image.

Nope, apparently it's some corruption of the baseband or something. It's some hardware fuckup. Restoring/updating just ends in an error every time.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

larchesdanrew posted:

Nope, apparently it's some corruption of the baseband or something. It's some hardware fuckup. Restoring/updating just ends in an error every time.

drat. Is the phone new enough to still be under warranty/Apple Care? Just memorize this handy phrase: "Jailbroken? What's that mean?"

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

flosofl posted:

drat. Is the phone new enough to still be under warranty/Apple Care? Just memorize this handy phrase: "Jailbroken? What's that mean?"

We never purchase warranties/insurance/Apple Care for anything. Besides, and this is the loving dumb part, the GM is pissed about the phone, but the line is well over the two year agreement and is eligible for an upgrade. It's a lovely 4s and the 5c is free, but he wants the 4s because it's... more free?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Just a heads up larches, you have provided enough information for me to figure out your station. Might want to edit out the bit about the former anchor.

Googling "Mayor oval office gently caress" was not helpful though so that's fine.

EDIT: Man, there's stuff I want to call out on this website. Please let us know as soon as you stop working there because I have questions.

Cool Dad fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 3, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gilok posted:

Googling "Mayor oval office gently caress" was not helpful though so that's fine.

Search critera not precise enough.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

larchesdanrew posted:

We never purchase warranties/insurance/Apple Care for anything. Besides, and this is the loving dumb part, the GM is pissed about the phone, but the line is well over the two year agreement and is eligible for an upgrade. It's a lovely 4s and the 5c is free, but he wants the 4s because it's something that went wrong that he can get upset at me about.

something something cluster B personality disorder, something something sever.

oh wait this isn't e/n

But yeah, don't try and figure out a reason for it, because it doesn't sound like there is one beyond "I want a reason to be upset with larchesdanrew right now".

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Gilok posted:

Just a heads up larches, you have provided enough information for me to figure out your station. Might want to edit out the bit about the former anchor.

EDIT: Man, there's stuff I want to call out on this website. Please let us know as soon as you stop working there because I have questions.

I figured someone would. Edited out, cause I'm sure someone here will be a party pooper and get my rear end fired.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

larchesdanrew posted:

I figured someone would. Edited out, cause I'm sure someone here will be a party pooper and get my rear end fired so I can find a much better job and my life will be vastly improved.

Ayup, I done fixed that for y'all.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Potato Alley posted:

Ayup, I done fixed that for y'all.

"So, your previous job mentions you were let go. Why was that?"

"Oh, because I bitched incessantly about it to a bunch of random people online and someone ratted me out HIRE ME PLEASE"

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

larchesdanrew posted:

"Oh, because I bitched incessantly about it to a bunch of random people online and someone ratted me out HIRE ME PLEASE"

"I'll hire you! I'm a forgiving guy, that's why they call me 'Mayor Cunty gently caress'"

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

xov posted:

One of my church clients unironically has a workstation named BLUMPKIN and I just got a ticket where someone is very cheerfully requesting access to files on it.

I tried so desperately to find any alternate meaning for that word, but alas.

Bob/Barbara Lumpkin.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

xov posted:

One of my church clients unironically has a workstation named BLUMPKIN and I just got a ticket where someone is very cheerfully requesting access to files on it.

I tried so desperately to find any alternate meaning for that word, but alas.

Urban Dictionary appears to have something for you

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

Since I can't pack up and move just yet, I might as well try making my job not suck until I can.

What are the odds there's another branch you can transfer to within the company?

You mentioned your new department idea was shot down because its not standard practice at all locations - implying they're out there. Is that an option besides quitting? It would seem to combine two goals of moving and getting away from the CE.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

blackswordca posted:

Urban Dictionary appears to have something for you

Alternate meaning.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

TheParadigm posted:

What are the odds there's another branch you can transfer to within the company?

You mentioned your new department idea was shot down because its not standard practice at all locations - implying they're out there. Is that an option besides quitting? It would seem to combine two goals of moving and getting away from the CE.

I may be wrong, but aren't local TV stations run like franchises, where each 'branch' is independent, but still has to follow corporate rules(and pay for the pleasure)?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

larchesdanrew posted:

Dude, if I told my former coworkers about you and linked this thread you'd get an instant interview. That place is all about doing things right they'd be willing to fly you over just to take a look at you. It's not a shitshow everywhere.

RFC2324 posted:

I may be wrong, but aren't local TV stations run like franchises, where each 'branch' is independent, but still has to follow corporate rules(and pay for the pleasure)?
They are over here, but it's very common to move from one to another, especially if you have a reputation for being good at your job.

Crowley fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 4, 2015

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Crowley posted:

Dude, if I told my former coworkers about you and linked this thread you'd get an instant interview. That place is all about doing things right they'd be willing to fly you over just to take a look at you. It's not a shitshow everywhere.

They are over here, but it's very common to move from one to another, especially if you have a reputation for being good at your job.

Any news on the school situation?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Dunno-Lars posted:

Any news on the school situation?

After the IT-dept. backed out of the whole thing (again) people found out it would have been a good idea to get us involved from the start. As the buildings are getting finished we're going through the installations and scrapping most of what the electricians have touched because they like to throw fiber cables on the floor and step on it, cut copper cables (with PoE most places) without disconnecting it from the switch or powering the switch down, and just move entire rack cabinets to random places that would fit the new schematics. We're billing for everything we do, and I frankly have no idea who's going to pay. The bills are sent off to City Management who're more involved now than they ever wanted to be.
On the positive side we're re-running old cables and things are running better than they ever have before on that school.

However..

jumping to 100% online teaching materials have put such a strain on the network that I'm measuring 300-500 kbit in some places. A speed that makes virtually any online activities impossible. We took the bandwith/WiFi issue to the municipality school manager and asked for a budget to test a decent solution on one of the schools - just to see how good things can run when planed decently. We've been given enough funds to get a decent 1 Gbit internet connection, and a stateful firewall. In the coming month or two we'll be setting that school up to route internal traffic onto the "old" 250 Mbit line, and Internet traffic onto the 1 Gbit line. Then we're going to block all torrenting, and block Steam (the second largest bandwith-hog) between 07:00 and 16:00. Time will show how that pans out, but if that doesn't work we're considering limiting the student's rights on the laptops and taking a more heavy-handed approach to what the machines are used for. That's somewhat against the original intentions, but if that's what we have to do to get things running smoothly then by Jove we will!

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Bob/Barbara Lumpkin.

Yep, this is it. :ms:
That poor, poor lady.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RFC2324 posted:

Tons of local TV stations are owned by larger companies that will own tens or hundreds of stations across the county, but aren't the network they broadcast for.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Crowley posted:

Are we on goon 19 and 20 now? Will larchesdanrew take the jetpack and try for a new job? only time will tell!

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Anyone know of a compatibility issue with Exchange 2007 and Office 2010 or 2013 where you can't give users permissions to modify mailing lists?

I had a mailing list created for a project I'm working on and our IT department is telling me that I can't be given permissions to add/remove people from the list due to some compatibility issue. It seems unlikely that there's no workaround and, given what I've seen out of our IT department I'm willing to bet there is, but I give them the benefit of the doubt.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Crowley posted:

and block Steam (the second largest bandwith-hog)

Do the teachers play dota2 constantly or something?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Crowley posted:

Steam (the second largest bandwith-hog)

What's the first?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Alighieri posted:

It sounds like they've given all the kids laptops but haven't put any kind of install restrictions on said laptops. So all the kids probably have steam installed and even if they're not playing during school hours, automatic updates will fire regardless.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Segmentation Fault posted:

What's the first?

Youtube and video services take up about 60-70 % of my school's network usage.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

He probably means Bittorrent though. That poo poo eats bandwidth far faster than video streaming.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Alighieri posted:

Gameplay bandwidth doesn't amount to much, even for modern games.

On the other hand, Steam constantly downloading updates to DotA2, TF2, itself, and anything else installed is going to chew through a lot of bytes very quickly.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Is there like a Steam version of WSUS?

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

totalnewbie posted:

Anyone know of a compatibility issue with Exchange 2007 and Office 2010 or 2013 where you can't give users permissions to modify mailing lists?

I had a mailing list created for a project I'm working on and our IT department is telling me that I can't be given permissions to add/remove people from the list due to some compatibility issue. It seems unlikely that there's no workaround and, given what I've seen out of our IT department I'm willing to bet there is, but I give them the benefit of the doubt.
I think there was just somebody in one of the IT threads that had updated Exchange to 2013 while Outlook was still on 2010 and was running into a ton of compatibility issues.

Generally, it seems that Microsoft isn't super concerned about making sure everything works between versions like that, but I don't really know.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

That's a really good idea. Word got out pretty quick about our gigabit pipe here so I blocked the whole app signature :black101:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Merijn posted:

He probably means Bittorrent though. That poo poo eats bandwidth far faster than video streaming.

Nah, most people just watch/listen poo poo on legal or or ilelgal palin streaming services

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

Nah, most people just watch/listen poo poo on legal or or ilelgal palin streaming services

Wasn't the Sarah Palin Channel cancelled?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

We classify YouTube and other streaming services as relevant for schools and have no intention of limiting them. Torrents and stream are the two major bandwidth hogs. Don't ask me why but I guess people want their stream libraries to download during school hours and simply forget about their running torrents.. Or sit there watching Popcorn Time all day.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Crowley posted:

We classify YouTube and other streaming services as relevant for schools and have no intention of limiting them. Torrents and stream are the two major bandwidth hogs. Don't ask me why but I guess people want their stream libraries to download during school hours and simply forget about their running torrents.. Or sit there watching Popcorn Time all day.

Be careful on the torrent stuff, that can be a HUGE security risk and cause headaches later if someone is downloading pirated software (don't fool yourself, chances are they already have and will keep doing it) or movies and poo poo. Keep Youtube alive, block torrent bullshit and tell anyone if they want to use that crap to go home or hit up a local eatery with free wireless. Really not worth dealing with the hassles of possible DMCA threats or other legal troubles, and even the most "trustworthy" folks can end up being a huge problem.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Crowley is in Norway, so I'm not sure what their DMCA equivalent is.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

There's a version of this that exists for ISPs and huge datacenters, which is helpful for people with metered internet connections like Australia/New Zealand, and it typically doesn't count against their cap, but if you go into Steam options there's also a couple "LAN Event" ones. It would be great if there were public Steam repos, but I think that would make all the publishers mysteriously vanish.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah, if someone needs to use bittorrent, they can open up a ticket to have it enabled temporarily while they download 100 GB worth of Linux distros or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
For some inexplicable reason nearly half the office is not present today.
:shrug:

• Locked thread