Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Bleeding Cool has scans of the FCBD special, and it turns out the new status quo running through all the super-books that makes Superman cut his hair and get angry is Lois Lane tells the public that he's Clark Kent.

I'm still gonna give this a shot because this all sounds completely bizarre, but Pak and the other architects better know what they're doing with this. I guess in the world of DC there's a million ways to undo this, but this could easily be one of the dumbest things ever done to the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Space_Butler posted:

Bleeding Cool has scans of the FCBD special, and it turns out the new status quo running through all the super-books that makes Superman cut his hair and get angry is Lois Lane tells the public that he's Clark Kent.

I'm still gonna give this a shot because this all sounds completely bizarre, but Pak and the other architects better know what they're doing with this. I guess in the world of DC there's a million ways to undo this, but this could easily be one of the dumbest things ever done to the character.

Yeah the idea itself could lead to awesome stories but the reason how it happens goes against everything I know about that character.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
It's Miracle Monday! I hope you are feeling joy and contentment for mysterious reasons.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bumpin' cause new Action Comics is beautiful.
The cover is a total misnomer. It's very sweet. I'm gonna post the Kentville pages in the 'Touching' thread.

I hope Clark eating stuff is a recurring theme for a while.

The only problem is that the upcoming 'Superman' issue takes place before this and the Action Sneak Peek preview, but it wasn't a big deal.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 3, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

The cover is a total misnomer. It's very sweet. I'm gonna post the Kentville pages in the 'Touching' thread.

You should also post his reaction to the dickhead cop. That is Superman.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

I hope Clark eating stuff is a recurring theme for a while.

The only problem is that the upcoming 'Superman' issue takes place before this and the Action Sneak Peek preview, but it wasn't a big deal.

That burrito just went crunch! It's a good thing Clark doesn't have super taste senses right now.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

That burrito just went crunch! It's a good thing Clark doesn't have super taste senses right now.

In which Superman learns that some burritos come frozen.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

C. Everett Koop posted:

In which Superman learns that some burritos come frozen.

"So uhhh how do microwaves work? I mean I usually use heat vision to cook."

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
As always, Paktion comics delivers! It's always odd to me to read reviews and people reading this going "Oh wow, a more human Superman! He's one of us now! I can relate!" when this is exactly the same dude Pak has been writing about for two years.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

If I'm gonna get stuff from the comixology sale, what superman stuff should I get?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

hup posted:

If I'm gonna get stuff from the comixology sale, what superman stuff should I get?

Superman written by Pak, Johns, and most importantly Morrison.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Musts:
Action Comics #0-18 Grant Morrison
Action Comics #25+ Greg Pak (Probably minus Doomed issues if you aren't gonna go off and get "Superman: Doomed #1 and #2" which aren't on sale, and the SM/WW crossover issues.)
Superman #32+ Geoff Johns

Then Batman/Superman has bright spots with neat Jae Lee art, but the Brett Booth drawn arc and Worlds' Finest crossover #5-9 are super skippable.
It had a great annual, which isn't on sale.
https://www.comixology.com/Batman-Superman-2013-1-Annual/digital-comic/66862?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9pdGVtU2xpZGVy
and I liked Soup/WW when Charles Soule was writing it. Most of that was the crossover.

The main thing is to avoid "Superman" before #32.

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

The Doomed issues and Pak's Batman/Superman tie in issue are pretty necessary to that particular storyline. The SM/WW tie ins aren't though and can be skipped.

I haven't tried skipping the Soule issues, but I don't remember there being any fluff chapters.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jun 5, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I am pretty sure the doomed issues will be going on sale at some point this month.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

The Doomed issues and Pak's Batman/Superman tie in issue are pretty necessary to that particular storyline. The SM/WW tie ins aren't though and can be skipped.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Pak's Action is still awesome and I think that this new status quo could lead to some good stories.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Pak's Action is still awesome and I think that this new status quo could lead to some good stories.

As Pak showed in his first few issues, T-Shirt and Jeans Superman = Best Superman. So I want like 18 months out of this status quo.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I wish Gene Luen Yang's Superman wasn't bothering with catching us up and just started doing it's own t-shirting story too, or at least was picking up from the Sneak Peek, which I liked a lot more than the actual issue.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 1, 2015

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

I wish Gene Luen Yang's Superman wasn't bothering with catching us up and just started doing it's own t-shirting story too, or at least was picking up from the Sneak Peek, which I liked a lot more than the actual issue.

Gene Yang's bit is kind of necessary though because without the context Truth makes what Lois did seem like a really horrible thing to do to her friend but with GLY's storyline it seems like there's a decent justification for it and I think that background is pretty important.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I just wanted to read it and go "This new guy's great!" and it didn't happen, so now I'm waiting to see him tell his own Superman story that isn't tied to anything.

e: Also, hoping I'll end up liking this arc too :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jul 3, 2015

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.
Cross-post from the DnD Pictures Thread:

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
Maybe I just have a Superman hangover after reading Alan Moore's (amazingly great) Supreme, but I just read Superman: Red Son for the first time, and... it's a mediocre Mark Millar comic from the 2000's. Which is to say I found it frustrating and dumb. The first part is actually pretty good, it sets up the premise well enough, the art is very nice, the characters are stretched reed-thin to fit the whole Elseworlds "we can only use the characters the fans know" conceit, but that's fine, and I barely laughed at Mark Millar's idea of a genius super-scientist. But then the whole thing goes so completely off the rails I thought I had skipped a whole section. The book starts jumping forward in time, stops making any sense, and turns into a bunch of characters punching each other and having clever anti-punching plans in place, punctuated by time jumps where the comic tells the reader things that are completely absurd and then moves on like it's not a big deal. I mean I guess it's a good thing that the book basically becomes cliff notes directing you to other, better comics when it just does the Dark Knight Returns fight or references Watchmen a thousand times, but they didn't really make me like this comic any more.

And I think the story could've worked, if it had been a sort of New Frontier Cuban Missile Crisis era battle between the Justice League led by Luthor against Superman and co., but instead it tries to be this decade-spanning quasi-political epic and Luthor is made to be this magnificent bastard and it's really not very good. Millar can't write women so Lois mostly pines for Superman for decades while she's married to a cold, obsessive weirdo. Wonder Woman pines for Superman and then gets beaten up in a couple of pages at the end. Superman gives Lana a job and then she disappears from the book entirely. End of list. The ending is also incredibly stupid.

The art's very nice, though.

Am I just in a bad mood or is this pretty overrated? I guess it really hurts being compared to stuff like All-Star, but that book is actually about Superman and the references to silver age Supes feel a lot more earned. I guess I don't understand why this gets held up as anything special.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
It's a fun alternate universe story. I don't think it's anywhere near the top of the best Superman stories but it's a nice little read.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
I don't trust DC with pre-Flashpoint Supes. They'll do something to it, like they did Batman Beyond. I expect a different outfit (no trunks, because GAY~!!!!!) and some other nonsense.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dario the Wop posted:

I don't trust DC with pre-Flashpoint Supes. They'll do something to it, like they did Batman Beyond. I expect a different outfit (no trunks, because GAY~!!!!!) and some other nonsense.

You mean for the Lois & Clark Convergence follow-up? There's already new costumes revealed on the covers.

I thought the Convergence mini by the same team did pretty well by them. Lee Weeks' art is loving amazing in it.

If it sucks, at least I always like a beard on Clark. :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 3, 2015

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Of course.

Oh, and that third one was an unused cover for Superman Unchained. Note the date on the signature is 2012.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dario the Wop posted:

Of course.

Oh, and that third one was an unused cover for Superman Unchained. Note the date on the signature is 2012.

Weird. It was in this article for some reason.
http://www.newsarama.com/25766-superman-lois-clark-brings-preboot-husband-wife-back-to-main-dc-continuity.html
I love the look of the preview pages there.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
The Convergence mini was pretty good, but I am not getting my hopes up. I wish this series were "Batgirled" into a pre-New 52 Superman, classic outfit, its own continuity. But I know I am in the minority.

Hard Truth by Pak (Action), and Before Truth by Yang (Supes) have been pretty good. But Dark Truth (S/WW) and Truth Hurts (B/S) have both been lackluster. Maybe they would read better collected, but at the current pace I find the latter two a chore.

Anyone looking forward to American Alien? I know Landis is a dick, but A) a lot of fine writers and artists are dicks, and B) some drat good artists are scheduled for the book. At the very least it will give us a break from the all-encompassing Truth arc.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Dario the Wop posted:

Anyone looking forward to American Alien? I know Landis is a dick, but A) a lot of fine writers and artists are dicks, and B) some drat good artists are scheduled for the book. At the very least it will give us a break from the all-encompassing Truth arc.

My experience with Landis doesn't extend beyond his Death of Superman video, of which I only watched a small portion before being convinced that he doesn't get Superman. So not holding out the highest of hopes there, but my opinion isn't based on much.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I liked his Superman comic where Joker fights Superman.

Guy's a huge douche though, I don't really know if he can ever convey the kind of inspiring, touching stuff some people want from Superman comics.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Landis's Adventures of Superman story where Superman clashes with the joker is offensively terrible. It's an overly self aware story that just involves using Superman as a mouthpiece so Landis can do a really shallow rant about why he hates joker as a character. It's also just badly written and the dialogue is clunky as anything, especially when Superman starts telling Joker why he sucks. The story itself also just has a pretty bad voice for Superman given that it's just Landis.

I won't be paying any attention to American Alien after that story.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Oh, man... I just looked up the solicitation artwork.

Cautious, guarded optimism. Just like with Dawn of Justice.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Superman is dressed suspiciously like Max Landis there.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
That's Bruce

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Chaos Hippy posted:

My experience with Landis doesn't extend beyond his Death of Superman video, of which I only watched a small portion before being convinced that he doesn't get Superman. So not holding out the highest of hopes there, but my opinion isn't based on much.

Dude was a goon in college, and posted his Robins and Knightfall videos here in BSS. They were fairly funny at the time.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
I didn't even notice the Batman symbol until now... good eye. Though it is the cover to American Alien #3, so who knows.

Here's some more cover art:

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

No. Wrong.

Seriously, Clark having a juvie record is about as appropriate as Jonathan Kent saying "maybe."

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I don't think Clark learning from getting into trouble in his youth is terribly out of order.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I wanna know how he got his rear end kicked. By earth kids? Man even edgy superman is lame.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hell, who says it was even him doing something wrong. There's plenty of scenarios where you could have him doing the right thing, and getting arrested for his trouble. It can even lead into one reason why he hides his identity and maybe even why he's a journalist, as he learns to question authority and not just accept things at face value.

Edit: ^^ Who says it's his blood?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Gaz-L posted:

Hell, who says it was even him doing something wrong. There's plenty of scenarios where you could have him doing the right thing, and getting arrested for his trouble. It can even lead into one reason why he hides his identity and maybe even why he's a journalist, as he learns to question authority and not just accept things at face value.

Edit: ^^ Who says it's his blood?

He has a black eye so either way my point stands.

• Locked thread