Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Her plan was that he'd realize he was wired to explode before trying to set himself on fire, so she could get him to confess via gopro to doing a crime she is assuming he's done, because he's a misogynist rear end in a top hat so he must have done SOMETHING? She's basically kidnapped a reddit commenter because the writer, afraid of having appeared to commit to an ideological position has gone the South Park route of the non-commital invention of ideological strawmen to assume the most radical end of each viewpoint so the entire discourse can be rejected and transcended by the main character

Like this will end with "I've learned something today guys, rape is bad. But murder is also bad. Therefore people shouldnt do bad things, and we should do good things for eachother"

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I hope Furnace doesn't die, it would be a waste of a possibly really good character. Hell, I would almost consider him a potentially better main character than Allison: I feel that the journey of a shortsighted guy with a simplistic worldview learning to see the world as more complex due to the very real property damage he can inflict would be a hell of a lot more interesting than Allison's aimlessness and overwillingess to put her absolute trust into mentor figures for the short term.

Basically I would be far more interested to see a super privileged dude learn about the world about him out of necessity than all this goddamn hand-wringing and "but what do both sides have to say?' style. As it stands I think the big problem is that there is no real thrust for Allison, no big identifiable arc or problem other than a niggling feeling that society just isn't totally fair. Furnace would possibly have that, his thrust is not to be a destructive rear end in a top hat and learn that other people are people too. Allison, for all her superpowers, is sort of a weak character because she doesn't really have a strong direction or needs.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
What's really disappointing is that while he had lovely opinions, Furnace had probably one of the most human characterizations of anyone in the comic.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

ManlyGrunting posted:

I hope Furnace doesn't die, it would be a waste of a possibly really good character. Hell, I would almost consider him a potentially better main character than Allison: I feel that the journey of a shortsighted guy with a simplistic worldview learning to see the world as more complex due to the very real property damage he can inflict would be a hell of a lot more interesting than Allison's aimlessness and overwillingess to put her absolute trust into mentor figures for the short term.

Basically I would be far more interested to see a super privileged dude learn about the world about him out of necessity than all this goddamn hand-wringing and "but what do both sides have to say?' style. As it stands I think the big problem is that there is no real thrust for Allison, no big identifiable arc or problem other than a niggling feeling that society just isn't totally fair. Furnace would possibly have that, his thrust is not to be a destructive rear end in a top hat and learn that other people are people too. Allison, for all her superpowers, is sort of a weak character because she doesn't really have a strong direction or needs.

I'm with you there, except Alison seems to have started off more privileged than Furnace, with the exception of being female. She had a better family life and probably financial stability.

Furnace evolving like Andy Sipowicz is pretty impossible though, unless we get a new writer. This seems like it started off as the writer's fun project and turned into his job, so he got all up his own rear end over making it perfect, and wound up ruining it.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Alison should have just flown Furnace out of the dam rather than Mary.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Doesn't Alison still need to breath? I enjoy the comic but the thought of all three drowning here is pretty amusing.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I hope this downward turn in writing quality doesn't reflect poorly on Molly Ostertag. The art is still consistently stellar.

(Even if she did get goofily defensive when she got called out on firing 30% more bullet per bullet)

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011
This was. Honestly the worst outcome I could have hoped for. Unless they all three somehow survive an exploding dam, this whole arc is going to be really poorly resolved. Which is a shame because it's been going on for so goddamn long.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Furnace can fly as well as explode; it's possible he'll escape this too, like Alison is in the process of doing.

I wouldn't say it's impossible that we'll see him evolve, too. His candid conversations with his therapist and that gravestone already represent movement in his character this issue. I guess we'll see, though, since it is definitely possible he'll die here.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Just as long as the writer doesn't read the comments ever, or at least not pander to them.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

RIP Furnace. Turned into some sort of fire demon.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

RIP all the people living downstream

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

A dam broke and she discovered she can fly. She's going to turn back time by flying the planet backwards! (Or however superman did it)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Rei_ posted:

Her plan was that he'd realize he was wired to explode before trying to set himself on fire, so she could get him to confess via gopro to doing a crime she is assuming he's done, because he's a misogynist rear end in a top hat so he must have done SOMETHING?

It occurs to me, that maybe he raped her.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SynthOrange posted:

RIP all the people living downstream

Don't worry, we'll be told later that all of them were rapists.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Gorilla Salad posted:

It occurs to me, that maybe he raped her.

That would be the most insipid, hackneyed poo poo possible

It is totally what will turn out to be the case

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
Furnace, wait... you are in a dam...

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?
What's happening in this page, exactly?
He gets really hot and starts a fire in or next to the small building on the left, and then... What, he makes a spreading web of magma run through the dam? It's not spreading out from the him, so is he turning concrete to lava via some kind of electrical-esque conduction?

Did the dam have a web of explosives set across it as a makeshift fire extinguisher?

"Oh no, a fire! Quick, douse it with the reservoir!"

Cryophage fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 6, 2015

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Well....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete_degradation#Thermal_damage

I'm no structural engineer but the tldr seems to be 'if the fire gets hot enough, the concrete will break'. And I guess the dam didn't have a lot of structural integrity to spare?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
They don't build dams to withstand temperatures of like thousands of degrees. I get that you guys are real mad about a slow paced chapter or something but some of you have been grasping at some pretty weird straws to complain about.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
No, you don't understand. The physics of this superhero who can literally create fire from nothing are all wrong. God this stupid comic is so unrealistic.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

No, you don't understand. The physics of this superhero who can literally create fire from nothing are all wrong. God this stupid comic is so unrealistic.

Look, if it was really that hot, Allison would be carrying a fistfull of ash into the air because she'd have been instantly incinerated. Checkmate, fanboys. :chord:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
He's doing the whole "going supernova" thing that was the dumbest part of the first Fantastic Four movie. It was dumb then and is dumb now, and I wanted to say that the idea of him being a potentially better character, ManlyGrunting, is wrong and incorrect, because he would still be in Strong Female Protagonist and nobody in this is a good character anymore.

How the writer went from the cool poo poo of the first three chapters to this, I have no idea.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ChairMaster posted:

They don't build dams to withstand temperatures of like thousands of degrees. I get that you guys are real mad about a slow paced chapter or something but some of you have been grasping at some pretty weird straws to complain about.

It's already been said but if Furnace can actually get that hot and Mary is standing near him she'll be cremated. The problem here is that the author is trying to create drama, but through a massive contrivance. And just looking at the last thread page nobody is actually mad about the dam exploding, just confused. Personally it's because if the dam does fall it's going to be a hard sell to justify how Mary survives (assuming that she does), even with Allison being there.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
For me it's really more the visual of the spiderwebbing red-hot concrete while that control building at the bottom looks pretty regularly on fire. It's like they wanted furnace to destroy the dam without putting any actually thought into how.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Didn't we just establish recently that Alison's power isn't really physical invulnerability but some sort of subconscious field she projects? Obviously she will unknowingly extend it to include Mary during the explosion.

Although actually what we just established was that Alison is more vulnerable when flying, which really means that both her and Mary should be even more vulnerable while flying away from the dam.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I dont know what to pick for stupidest thing in the last dozen pages. Alison falling down stairs. Putting a bomb on a guy you dont want to blow up. Sawing through a foot wide electrical cable. The whole sequence where she's invisible and on a 20 foot tall tank, where bomb guy is thrown onto so she can conveniently cut it off and throw it away, then somehow ends up on the ground below. The blowy uppy thing. Guh.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ashcans posted:

Didn't we just establish recently that Alison's power isn't really physical invulnerability but some sort of subconscious field she projects? Obviously she will unknowingly extend it to include Mary during the explosion.

I'd like to think that was true of most uber-powerful heroes, because they don't end up naked and covered in soot after every fight. Also 'unstable molecules'.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Say Nothing posted:

I'd like to think that was true of most uber-powerful heroes, because they don't end up naked and covered in soot after every fight. Also 'unstable molecules'.

the reason they dont end up naked every fight is something more powerful than telekinesis, its parental moral outrage

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Say Nothing posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empowered

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

This chapter has been just terrible.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
All those dead campers

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

I've forgiven this chapter a lot of things, but this is actually very annoying. What a cop out.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

:mediocre:

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
cpr alone has like a 5% success rate at reviving people who are not breathing and have their heart stopped thats some bullshit

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Hurray, nobody had the idea of building a settlement near this river. This is why they decided to build a dam here, to provide the nearby flood plains and national park with electricity. This is good writing: the superheroes provoke cataclysmic destruction during their fight, but don't worry it's just for shows it turns out none of the damage is really relevant or consequential.

Seriously, this comic went from hero tosses bad guy's mookbot into building, kills innocent people to antagonist causes dam to explode, nobody's hurt.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Sep 8, 2015

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
What an excellent example of the comic's themes, only the bad guy got hurt and the person fighting for justice got saved, hooray :downs:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If Alison just stayed home there'd have been way less damage.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Hurray, nobody had the idea of building a settlement near this river. This is why they decided to build a dam here, to provide the nearby flood plains and national park with electricity. This is good writing: the superheroes provoke cataclysmic destruction during their fight, but don't worry it's just for shows it turns out none of the damage is really relevant or consequential.

Seriously, this comic went from hero tosses bad guy's mookbot into building, kills innocent people to antagonist causes dam to explode, nobody's hurt.
Yeah, really, this bothers me a lot. It would have been far more thematic for this collossal gently caress up from 3 superpowered humans to have just murdered a poo poo ton of innocent people. Isn't one of the major points of this comic supposed to be that the people with these powers don't know what the gently caress they're doing and that often ends up getting innocent people hurt or killed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011
Reading it over, I'm pretty curious how she managed to saw the active power cable with her clearly metal blade, and somehow NOT eat deadly amounts of electricity in the process. Hopefully, if anything comes of this, it'll be Allison ripping that camera off of Mary's head, and getting her locked up, since she straight up admitted to murdering people for the past two years.

• Locked thread