Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Here, have a chart that helps illustrate why sports TV deals are getting so big now:

from: http://blogs.wsj.com/cmo/2015/07/24/this-chart-shows-why-comcast-would-be-interested-in-vice-media-and-buzzfeed/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Looks like Le Batard is getting Cowherd's old ESPN slot:

http://thebiglead.com/2015/08/20/da...campaign=buffer

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Vertical Lime posted:

Looks like Le Batard is getting Cowherd's old ESPN slot:

http://thebiglead.com/2015/08/20/da...campaign=buffer

Not a big fan of this. I've listened to Lebatard and Stu for 10+ years and I worry the late morning slot will gently caress with their poo poo, their ability to get the weird guests they love, and their commitment to doing a non-sports sports show. I know the people at ESPN (and here) would probably say the show will be the same but I can't imagine they'll be spending 45 minutes on Greg Cote being a geezer when they're on at 10.

Im ignorant about radio but is 10-1 EST really a better gig than 4-7? I get that you get the West coast morning rush but 4-7 seemed pretty good in terms of east coast rush hour...

(it'll probably be fine, im just being a quick trigger baby )

BWV fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 21, 2015

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I really don't think it would change anything. The only thing that might have to change is doing the first hour locally in Miami, but maybe not.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I hope y'all are excited for him to dedicate the first 50 or so of them to doing nothing but whining about Deflategate

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MourningView posted:

I hope y'all are excited for him to dedicate the first 50 or so of them to doing nothing but whining about Deflategate
Only 50?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Even if Brady wins?

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

Even if Brady wins?

It'll be even worse because it will vindicate him.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Even if Brady wins?

a brady win will still mean 2 years of court appeals, prep yourself for 150 weeks of deflategate talk at a minimum

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

WHO PODCASTS NO

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

a long while back ITT, someone mentioned college quiddich. As luck would have it my tiny rear end station i do some Play By Play for covered the Major League Quiddich national championships. NY vs. Boston here in Toledo because.... reasons? Whoever that was tried to convince me and others of how legit it was.

Here is a 30 second recap. I dare you not to cringe. I'm so glad I was out of town and didn't have to cover this.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

DJExile posted:

a long while back ITT, someone mentioned college quiddich. As luck would have it my tiny rear end station i do some Play By Play for covered the Major League Quiddich national championships. NY vs. Boston here in Toledo because.... reasons? Whoever that was tried to convince me and others of how legit it was.

Here is a 30 second recap. I dare you not to cringe. I'm so glad I was out of town and didn't have to cover this.

This is the kind of thing I love because, despite my extremely goony tendencies, I realize it could always be worse. This is a wonderful reminder that I'm not in that lower tier of losers who do stuff like this, LARP, go to japanese restaurants as a white person just to talk japanese to the staff and play DDR in public.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
What the gently caress is the point of Quidditch if you can't even fly on the brooms

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

This year's CBS NFL pairings:

1. Jim Nantz/Phil Simms//Tracy Wolfson
2. Ian Eagle/Dan Fouts//Evan Washburn
3. Greg Gumbel/Trent Green/Jamie Erdahl
4. Kevin Harlan/Rich Gannon
5. Spero Dedes/Solomon Wilcots
6. Andrew Catalon/Steve Tasker/Steve Beuerlein
7. Tom McCarthy/Adam Archuleta
8. Brian Anderson/Chris Simms

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Is there any job Phill won't get for Chris?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Since when is Trent Green a commentator?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Metapod posted:

Since when is Trent Green a commentator?

This is the second year he's had a national job I think? He's been doing the Chiefs preseason for a few years now.

He's still not good but man he's improved a lot, he was godawful at first.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Grittybeard posted:

This is the second year he's had a national job I think? He's been doing the Chiefs preseason for a few years now.

He's still not good but man he's improved a lot, he was godawful at first.

He's way better than Dan Dierdorf and Greg Gumbel is also better now that Dierdorf hosed off

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Benne posted:

What the gently caress is the point of Quidditch if you can't even fly on the brooms

Serious answer, I bet it's very popular with people who were that kinda nerd that poo-pooh'd sports and then tried it because of the Harry Potter connection and oh hey it turns out sports are fun, but they're still too goony to suck it up and find an actual decent sport to play/watch.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Mornacale posted:

Serious answer, I bet it's very popular with people who were that kinda nerd that poo-pooh'd sports and then tried it because of the Harry Potter connection and oh hey it turns out sports are fun, but they're still too goony to suck it up and find an actual decent sport to play/watch.

For a lot of people, yeah. The rest is high school athletes not good enough to play whatever their original sport was in college.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Playing the stupid Harry Potter game would be nerdy as hell either way but it would be way easier to take if they got rid of the loving brooms.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

johnfw50 posted:

For a lot of people, yeah. The rest is high school athletes not good enough to play whatever their original sport was in college.

That's essentially ultimate frisbee. Lots of soccer players who weren't quite good enough.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Just taking a moment to thank the Lakers for sending New Orleans Joel Meyers a couple years ago. Huge upgrade over Bob Licht for basketball play-by-play announcer.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Kibner posted:

Just taking a moment to thank the Lakers for sending New Orleans Joel Meyers a couple years ago. Huge upgrade over Bob Licht for basketball play-by-play announcer.

Yeah I like him a lot. I like Bill MacDonald, he's a an LA legend but Meyers worked harder at not being a homer which was important.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Rick posted:

Yeah I like him a lot. I like Bill MacDonald, he's a an LA legend but Meyers worked harder at not being a homer which was important.

Yeah, he definitely isn't a homer often. And he is rarely, if ever, hokey or repetitive. And his voice is nice to listen to.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Curt Schilling can't get out of his own way:

http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/curt-schilling-is-now-sending-e-mails-to-writers-to-question-our-integrity.html

http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/an-open-letter-to-curt-schilling-and-another-reply-from-him.html

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There is no way he is 245.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Man I can't believe ESPN is canceling SportsCenter

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Curt Schilling is off Sunday Night Baseball for the rest of the year :toot:

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope Schilling shares more racist crap on facebook so he gets shitcanned permanently.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Credit card thief Doug Gottlieb says Aaron Boone should be on ESPN Sunday baseball instead of Jessica Mendoza because you need to play the game to know how to cover it. Yeah OK

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I don't know how people say poo poo like that when Vin Scully is the most respected broadcaster in baseball history and he never played an inning.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Haha he deleted all the tweets saying that using some app Mark Cuban promotes

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

And now Jessica Mendoza has been added. Hopefully he won't be back next year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

zakharov posted:

And now Jessica Mendoza has been added. Hopefully he won't be back next year.

She's really good, especially considering how long she's been doing it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

zakharov posted:

I don't know how people say poo poo like that when Vin Scully is the most respected broadcaster in baseball history and he never played an inning.

Well sure, but Vin is also more of a PBP guy, and that's never required a background in playing the game.

I will admit, I was thrown for a bit of a loop the first time I saw Mendoza on BBTN talking authoritatively about some sort of mechanics of playing the game thing, not in a "she can't do that" sort of way just "huh, that's not something I've seen before."

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

howe_sam posted:

Well sure, but Vin is also more of a PBP guy, and that's never required a background in playing the game.

I will admit, I was thrown for a bit of a loop the first time I saw Mendoza on BBTN talking authoritatively about some sort of mechanics of playing the game thing, not in a "she can't do that" sort of way just "huh, that's not something I've seen before."

Vin works alone so he effectively fills both roles. Not that he spends a lot of time on like the mechanics of laying down a bunt or whatever, but he does more than just describe the play.

e: and anyway there's a lot more to being good at color than just being able to describe the mechanics of how to play. Harold Reynolds is GREAT at that sort of thing. Joe Morgan was generally very good at it. Neither is good at doing color commentary.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

howe_sam posted:

She played elite softball for like a decade. There is nuance and difference between softball and baseball but it's not like she doesn't have a lifetime of experience playing a ball bat diamond sport at the highest level she could.