Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Well overall I'm glad they are doing what they are doing. I think it's important to have Gibson around for various reasons and I do like their stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I wasn't sold on the G-Force tuners (Although I can see where there'd be useful) but I liked the zero nut and slightly wider neck. The aesthetic bits (Headstock logo et al) were neither here nor there for me.

But hey, they be cheaper now!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

syntaxfunction posted:

I wasn't sold on the G-Force tuners (Although I can see where there'd be useful) but I liked the zero nut and slightly wider neck. The aesthetic bits (Headstock logo et al) were neither here nor there for me.

But hey, they be cheaper now!

That's pretty much how I feel really.

Apart from the logo, I didn't like that.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
How cheap will the 2015 ones get now?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Remulak posted:

How cheap will the 2015 ones get now?

2016 Standards seen at Guitar Centre for $2799 SGs for $1199 Studios for $799 so far, US dollars.

So I dunno, I think there will be major 2015 bargains though

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
lol anyone who bought a LP in 2015 is gonna be PISSED.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
That St. Vincent special, though, got all the things I love bout an offset in it, and also a bold new look.

E: I love how some people's reactions to the 2015 robotuners wearing out and going out of tune is 'Well, then, replace them with normal tuners!'. If I'm paying _that_ price for a drat guitar, I expect it to not actively suck.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Not as pissed as anyone who bought one of the limited edition not robo-tuned ones :v:

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Shugojin posted:

Not as pissed as anyone who bought one of the limited edition not robo-tuned ones :v:

Nah, those are limited edition rarities. They'll be sought after in a decade or so as a piece of history!
WE ARE SO SMART

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Went with the creme/black/creme on the CV. Only took like five weeks from :china:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
All you need to do now is flip the control plate around and start playing truv norwegian black metal

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Warcabbit posted:

That St. Vincent special, though, got all the things I love bout an offset in it, and also a bold new look.

$1,800 isn't bad at all for it either. If I had the cash I'd probably preorder one. They're neat as heck.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Triple minihumbuckers. I dunno. i got one alnico that's REALLY warm, and one ceramic that's REALLY tight. Wonder where they fall on the scale.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

How much of a dumb idea is selling my only amp (Marshall SL-5) in favour of going entirely with my ME-80? In order to fund a classical guitar

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

Southern Heel posted:

How much of a dumb idea is selling my only amp (Marshall SL-5) in favour of going entirely with my ME-80? In order to fund a classical guitar

How much of a tone snob are you and how much are you going to care that tone snobs are going to take a dump on you? Do you have another method of "amplifying" without an amp when you need to hear it? Do you always play live with a decent PA? Personally i don't think it's dumb, but i'm not sure how good/bad the amp models sound on the ME-80 or your needs.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Southern Heel posted:

I sold a bongo bass and a bunch of rad pedals for a classical and don't regret it. Join us. Sacrifice your electrical bonds for pure tone! :getin:

tbh I personally wouldn't like that setup for electric but if you think you're good with it, go for it.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Ok I see. I dunno how long I should hold onto this ideal that at some point I will perform for someone other than my mum when she visits :( - on the other hand I have at least a dozen views on my sound cloud page so maybe I should focus on that...

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I'm thinking about buying a multi-effects board, so I'm looking for some recommendations.

It doesn't have to have a shitload of features, but intelligent pitch shifting would be fun. Sound quality is the highest priority, though.

Edit: also, it would be cool with an amp sim so I could plug it directly into a PA for practice.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Boss me-80 see above.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Southern Heel posted:

Boss me-80 see above.

11rack does all the above minus pitch shifting :negative:

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Zoom G5 is pretty good for £180 or the new G1on for less than half that if you don't mind a plastic case and no expression pedal.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Out of nowhere some blues appears:

This is pretty nice, sounds just as you'd want really, deep and rich :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

peter gabriel posted:

Wow that's sexy. Really really not my kind of guitar (semi-hollow f-holes just ain't my bag), but with those pickups, that bigsby, gold hardware and that burgundy finish, gently caress. Very nice.

That's some funky blurring going on, whats wrong did you accidentally take a picture of your driver's licence or something? :cheeky:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Zaphod42 posted:

Wow that's sexy. Really really not my kind of guitar (semi-hollow f-holes just ain't my bag), but with those pickups, that bigsby, gold hardware and that burgundy finish, gently caress. Very nice.

That's some funky blurring going on, whats wrong did you accidentally take a picture of your driver's licence or something? :cheeky:

It's one sort of guitar I want, the old semi, this will do for now as it sounds really good.
The blurring is just a thing I do, I dunno why as I have a remarkably dull life with nothing to hide :v:

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

peter gabriel posted:

I really really want one of those, but I have neither the space or the need. How do you switch it to the third pup? Independent volume knob?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Gripen5 posted:

I really really want one of those, but I have neither the space or the need. How do you switch it to the third pup? Independent volume knob?

It's a three way toggle, the site says:

3-volume and 1-tone control. 3-way selector activates neck, bridge, and combination neck and bridge. Middle pickup active in any position adjusted with volume control.

So I think so yeah!

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I'd previously looked at the TC Nova System. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

I know some of you guys have been dabbling in classically lately, you should post how you're doing and what you're learning :)

Hey! I'm in the same boat. I decided this summer that I'd learn to sight read--so I sat down with my books and got started. It's a thrill now to take a look at what I can read and sit down with the music and play.

What I should work on is getting some pieces down from the Christopher Parkening books I have. I've been reading and playing, but not taking that next step to memorize, but it's a process--learning how to learn on on your own.

What kind of guitar are you playing? What is your practice routine?

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008

nitsuga posted:

Hey! I'm in the same boat. I decided this summer that I'd learn to sight read--so I sat down with my books and got started. It's a thrill now to take a look at what I can read and sit down with the music and play.

What I should work on is getting some pieces down from the Christopher Parkening books I have. I've been reading and playing, but not taking that next step to memorize, but it's a process--learning how to learn on on your own.

What kind of guitar are you playing? What is your practice routine?

This all warms my bleak, blackened, professional classical guitarist heart. Keep it up guys, and post progress! I'm happy to post whatever folks want me to, but I do tend to keep business and SA separate, mentally, so I may not remember to post things on my own.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I bought a 2015 LP.

From Epiphone

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Kilometer Davis, for what it's worth, it looks like the Classical Music Thread is the hangout for nylon stringers. Not to ignore the rest of you lot--the electrics are pretty enviable around here.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
Anyone have any good tips for not breaking strings while stringing? I play on the lightest strings I can find (Dunlop Rev. Willy's 07-38), and consequently play extraordinarily light to the point where I've never broken a string while playing in ~12 years, but about half the time I try to string a guitar with the 07s the high E breaks when tuning, and this seems to happen pretty much regardless of bridge/tuner/nut style. Should I be pre-stretching the strings, or tuning up really slowly, or something?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
If they always snap in the same place (i.e. at the nut or bridge) you may need to file some of your hardware a bit to remove any snags / sharp bits perhaps.
Apart from that, yeah just take it slow.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
07? Holy.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Musicians friend has the Squier Classic Vibe 60th Anniversary Stratocaster for $300

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/squier-classic-vibe-60th-anniversary-stratocaster-electric-guitar

I might just order one cause I don't have a strat and for $300... drat.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

moctopus posted:

looping a small section of the song,

What's the best easiest way to do this?

e: Thanks for the replies VVV , will check those out!

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 6, 2015

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

There are a few software options. These will let you loop sections of songs.

http://bpminus.com/

Which I think is a project of someone on the forums.

http://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/overview.html

Is excellent but costs money. It will let you slow down the song while keeping the same pitch.

It's easy to cheat with transcribe though because it can pretty much show you the exact note. Although sometimes it's still up to you to figure out inversions or chord shapes.

I think there's something (a DAW?) that's free that I'm missing.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Audacity lets you loop a section and it's free / great.
Select the bit you want to loop, hold down shift and click play.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

moctopus posted:

I think there's something (a DAW?) that's free that I'm missing.

Probably Reaper, it's a long nagware trial (so not really free) but it has very good time stretching plugins, so you could totally use it for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

I used them for a bit. They feel really peculiar, and if you're used to heavier strings it's fairly easy to fret them so hard they play out of tune. But once you have the touch down they're really cool because bends are spectacularly easy. Ultimately they weren't to my taste, however.